Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

shankerz posted:

Ok so I got the courage to try it. Used 6 sticks of butter. Probally too much butter but it came out perfect. It pretty much boiled the lobster in butter in the castiron pan.

Wife and I were very happy how it turned out. Thanks for the advice :)
Lol, sounds like you independently created Thomas Keller's butter poached lobster. That poo poo was delicious. Now that I have a kid on the way, I may never spend that much money on a single meal again.

You could probably bottle the "lobster butter" and sell it at a local farmer's market. I hope you didn't throw it out, because I can only imagine the looks of shock and horror on this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

shankerz posted:

O yeah, we tossed it. Didnt know you could save that? Going to make another 2.0 version of butter lobster for my parents this weekend... any advice people???? Love the cast iron!
The Thomas Keller recipe is a slow poach - the lobster is soaked in a lower temp butter so it just soaks in all that butter like a sponge.

You can basically save any cooking oil. I believe Alton Brown describes a rig for separating and filtering oils after frying, so you can reuse it.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
So. Pizza.

Thinking of getting a cast iron griddle, pre-heating on burners, and then stretching out a rectangular dough on top to char the bottom. Then putting under the broiler to melt and crisp the top.

The down side: rectangular pizza.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

shankerz posted:

I'm going to try this... sounds amazing... But see i use live lobster do i boil them 1st to kill it or just whack it over the head. Don't think its nice to use lower temp butter to cook them lol sounds cruel.
The Thomas Keller recipe involves steeping the lobster, which means pouring boiling water and vinegar on the lobster, shucking, then poaching in butter.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Made my pizza on the griddle. The griddle was nice and hot, because it was new, and I wanted to season it.

It turned out looking very nice, but it was thick crust. I should have rolled it out so I could have gotten a nice, thin crust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

Haha, you caught me. However, a 15 foot cast iron frying pan would be RAD as HELL. We could double the world's largest frittata record with it.

https://isys100group7.wikispaces.com/file/view/paella_largest.jpg/296555006/601x398/paella_largest.jpg

• Locked thread