Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

One you get it right, eggs float like they do on a properly seasoned flattop.

That said, OP, you absolutely can't go wrong with steak or bacon.

Or hell, fill it up with some shortening and fry a chicken. We did a whole thread about that recently...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6oPcB57IcU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

If something sticks, just scrape it off and then cook more bacon. There's honestly no seasoning problem in cast iron that you can't solve by cooking more bacon. :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Or just hit up Amazon/your local outdoors store and get a lid.

They've got 'em in tempered glass and cast iron. I'd get the cast iron, though. Much better because you can bake with it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, sadly the modern production Lodges and whatnot don't do fully smooth surfaces. I think it's a cost saving step.

I keep meaning to get a couple Griswolds in smaller sizes for dedicated egg pans, but my 12" Lodge has enough seasoning built up by now that it's smooth enough for most stuff.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lodges are fine, but hell, cast iron is cast iron.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Shobodb : It's not a benefit, it's the result of dropping a step in manufacturing to make pans cheaper. The pebble texture is what's left normally after sand casting of cast iron, they just on't boter to grind all the surfaces smooth anymore.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

And if they're not, cook more bacon until it is.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Doomy posted:

I don't think there's anything stopping you from sanding a new cast iron pan, to get it closer to those vintage pans.

Yeah, but given the sheer indestructibility of the vintage pans, there's a million of them out there for a couple bucks more than a new pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

contrapants posted:

Next time you don't have bacon, you can always make popcorn. Using peanut oil, my pan practically became a mirror after that.

Frying chicken's good like this too.

• Locked thread