Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I cook my steaks in dry cast iron because oil would smoke/spontaneously ignite at these temps and give a bad flavor. But the steak gets a good crust and releases just fine in a dry pan. No, the steak doesn't burn this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's no need to pull the meat out. Sprinkle the flour over them meat once it's browned then brown the flour a little and add your milk. Stir and bring to a summer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use soap frequently. It really won't hurt it as long as you're not soaking your pan.

I don't get how people tout cast iron as an indestructible option, and then act like a single drop of soap will destroy it. A properly seasoned pan can handle a little scrubbing with soap.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

d3rt posted:

I read on reddit /r/askculinary that the notion "Never use soap on cast iron!" was from the time when soap contained lye. Modern soap, no worries.

That makes sense. The only thing I've ever done that has removed seasoning of my pans is aggressive, abrasive scrubbing (with or without soap).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Pangloss posted:

OK, I'm very sad. I put the pan on the stove to get it heated up for burgers and by the time it was hot there was a big light grey circle in the middle of the pan the same size as the eye of the stove. it was like the seasoning just burned away in like 20 minutes. Should I just pop it in a 500 degree oven and start over with the seasoning or just cook over the top of it and trust it'll be ok eventually?

That happens over high heat. I use mine at 800 degrees and always get that gray circle. Doesn't affect it's nonstick properties.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

I recently got a cast iron pan as a gift and I'm pretty excited but had some noobie questions. Particularly, what's the best oil (besides bacon fat) to season a pan with? The GWS wiki article on seasoning doesn't have any recommendations but I've read that safflower is good. Is that the general consensus on best oil to season with cast iron? Similarly, what's usually the best oil to use for high heat cooking?

I use crisco. I find that vegetable oils that are liquid at room temp tend to get gummy if applied even a little too thick, but I never have this problem with crisco. I warm the pan a bit, then rub it down with a a paper towel that has crisco on it. You're just trying to put on enough crisco to get a sheen on the pan, if you can see any depth to the fat then it's on too thick. Then put it in a hot oven for a while. Let it cool a bit, then repeat.

High heat cooking: depends on how high the heat is. For normal high cooking temps, I like peanut oil. But grapeseed oil apparently has an even higher smoke point. But when I cook steaks, I try to get the pan up to 700 or so, and for that I don't use any fat (because it would smoke and get bitter), just put the steak in a dry pan. It will release once a crust forms.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bombhand posted:

I don't know if it has any actual benefit, but I usually oil the steak instead of the pan. It's a holdover from when I was using stainless steel and oiling the whole pan left me with a sticky mess to clean up.

I'm sure that would work better on high heat than oiling the pan because the steak can kind of act as a heat sink so the oil doesn't burn [as quickly].

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Qu Appelle posted:

Hi.

I have two Lodge cast iron pans, a heavy one and a light one. I may be moving into a place with a glass stove top. It's not my stove, so I'd really rather not damage it with my cast iron, and thus lose the security deposit. This is what I have: http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-iron/deep-skillets/combo-cooker-LCC3 , and I use both halves of it.

I've heard bad things about plain cast iron on glass stove tops, so what can I do to mitigate the damage? Would it be worth it to just invest in one enameled pan, for the duration of me living there? Lodge has ones on sale through Amazon. Would I get the same iron health benefits as using the regular cast iron? Thanks!

AFAIK, a glass cooktop can support the weight of the pan just fine, just don't shake the pan around on the glass (it may scratch, which can lead to breakage) and don't drop it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wookums posted:

Grab a DUXTOP 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop Countertop Burner 8100MC if you are worried. Works great with cast iron.

I was surprised to find in that Lodge factory walkthrough they actually use an induction furnace to melt the iron for casting. Probably a little higher wattage than the one you recommend though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bachelard rear end posted:

Another thumbs up for the chicken and potatoes, and also the "bacon sprouts," recipes itt. I made them in my (fairly) newly stripped and seasoned skillet and my tummy was happy. Rubbed the drumsticks in Weber's "N'Orleans Cajun" seasoning (if pre-made seasonings are a GWS no-no, oops?) and it made everything even better.

I don't think most people here will give you poo poo for premade seasonings. You may find yourself using them less and less as you get more into cooking, or not.

I think curry powder is the only premade mix that most people will tell you to absolutely stay away form.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If the seasoning is peeling or flaking off, you put it on too thick. Once you wipe it on, you need to wipe everything off except for enough to leave a shine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a couple cast iron grill pans and I dislike them because of that. But when i do use them, I use a flat screwdriver to scrape in between the ridges. And boil off some water just before I do that.

And don't ever cook anything sugary on them (thinking mainly of items that were in a marinade with sugar).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Was it Korean BBQ? It was Korean BBQ, wasn't it. That's what did me in for grill pans.

I believe it was. Never again.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Butter has dairy in it. If it doesn't have dairy, it's not butter.

Keep you butter on the counter, protected from light and air and heat and it will be fine. Better yet get a butter bell.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Disco Salmon posted:

Hey quick question for you cast iron gurus out there.

My husband went to Goodwill the other day to drop off some items, and decided to take a quick look around, and found 2 decent looking cast iron fry pans, one is 8" and the other 10". He knew I was wanting to get some eventually, and decided to surprise me with them. He picked them both up for less than 20$ in total :)

So I look at them when he got home and they seem pretty nice! Only thing is they are sticky/tacky feeling to them, like old oil or something. The self clean on my oven is busted and wont work, so that idea of just running them through that cycle is out.

I was thinking about just scrubbing them down well with soap and water, and then re-seasoning them, is that the right thing to do about getting the tackiness off?

Soap, water, steel wool and elbow grease.

Or attach a wire brush to your drill and go at it. (with proper eye protection)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Chrome finished? Was there a time when people thought they needed more chrome in their diet? Or did it have a copper coating on top of that at some point?

edit: wait, chrome goes on top of copper, right? I had it turned around.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Heners_UK posted:

Took the griddle for a spin with some Honey Garlic Pork Tenderloin tonight.

Wasn't working too well on the stove, so put it in the oven for a bit. Love you can do that with cast iron.

Forgot the oil initially so I now have a job scrubbing those groves. Wondering if a wirebrush and reseason might be easier.

Actually, anyone found a less-than-wirebrush for burnt on food that doesnt somehow damage seasoning?

In the future, you're better off avoiding things with a lot of sugar in them on the griddle. The sugar will (as I'm sure you figured out) carbonize in the grooves and be a bitch to get out. I use a screwdriver to get into the grooves and scrape really well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Butch Cassidy posted:

Ever pull a skillet/sauce pan/whatever out of the oven and soon after absentmindedly grab the handle to move it, but it your hand? I like the little handle sleeves to slip on the handles after they come out as a reminder to myself.

I'm convinced that if I grab the hot handle enough times, eventually my fingerprints won't come back, and then I will be able to get away with anything.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Put in some work with the angle grinder today. Not quite there yet, but getting there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes. But it has some deep pits in it. That was after probably 30 minutes with a (cordless) angle grinder.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The sanding disc wouldn't touch it. The angle grinder is the way to go. And I stopped before I got all the little pits out, but it feels super smooth. Working on the seasoning now. Ended up putting it in service tonight before I got all coats of seasoning I wanted on it so the seasoning is a little uneven, but it definitely worked well (good contact, easy release).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Saget IRL posted:

I found a griswold #3. Took a drill brush to it, and made it look silver. I've cleaned a couple other old pans and they always look black still. I just thought i cleaned this one more. But i seasoned it, used it, but when i wipe it with a bit of paper towel it looks dirty. Like im wiping a drill bit after drilling through steel. Someone else posted abour chrome or nickel plated cast iron.. is thst what i got? Should i be treating it different? I need to know cause its great for a couple eggs.

When you strip off the seasoning, it should be silver underneath. If the pans you were cleaning before were still black, then you weren't cleaning them thoroughly. You need to wipe it really well with water after cleaning and dry it thoroughly to get off all the metal and seasoning bits you sanded off then immediately season so it doesn't rust, which it will attempt to do in a matter of minutes.

Here is one I recently refinished:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would stay away from the bucket handle one unless you plan on using it in a campfire. I have it, and the handle really just gets in the way.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bifurcate they head.

http://www.cooking-lobster.com/cooking-lobster/lobster-killing.html

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gaj posted:

Quick care question: I have a veteran cast iron that I left unused for about 6 months. It has no major buildup and is fairly clean, but being in storage for so long I wanna clean it. What is the approved "tough clean" for a cast iron?

Wash it with soap and water. Soap won't hurt the seasoning, I promise.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

drgitlin posted:

What possible reason would you have for wanting to season the underside or the handle?

Because rust is bad.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Keeping it in the oven also acts to keep the oven temp stabilized when you use it (at the expense of longer heat up times).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My process is after washing (with soap, mind you), I wipe it off then put it on the stove to heat up which dries it out completely, then wipe it down it with a little crisco on a paper towel. Leave it on the heat just until it starts to smoke even the smallest bit, then turn it off.

And when you wipe it down with crisco, you're just looking to get enough on there to make it shiny, there should not be a tangible layer or anything.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really think bacon is overrated as a seasoning helper. There, I said it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All of my seasoning problems went away when I started using shortening for seasoning and washing with the pan soap (even using the scrubby side when it needed it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CrushedWill posted:

I wasnt sure if a brush or sandpaper was the way to go, I'll use the brush :)

Brush will probably be quicker, but both will work. You can't hurt the pan, so do whatever it takes to get it to shiny metal, then start your seasoning.

• Locked thread