Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Steve Yun posted:

I have a grill pan and it's really annoying to clean. Burnt stuff accumulates between the lines and you have to scrape them out with a chopstick. Also, a grill pan only gets you those nice browned areas where it makes contact on the lines, but a flat skillet will brown on a much larger contact area.

I picked up a bamboo wok cleaner in Chinatown for $3.50. http://www.amazon.com/Wok-Shop-7-Cleaning-Whisk/dp/B00012F3WC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407300092&sr=8-2&keywords=bamboo+wok+cleaner

I was very surprised by how good a job it does compared to the brushes and scrapers in my arsenal. I'll have to pick up a grill pan like yours to see if it works as well on its little valleys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Mr. Wookums posted:

Grab a DUXTOP 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop Countertop Burner 8100MC if you are worried. Works great with cast iron.

My cast iron was exiled to the basement kitchen when we got a new glass top and my wife was worried about scratching. We bought a set of stainless steel glass top-safe pots for the new stove. Three years on and the main burner is showing scratches, even though we're careful to lift and not slide.

I think I will get one of these countertop induction sets for the basement and laugh my arse off if the cast iron doesn't scratch it.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

niss posted:

Just scored this from a lady at work. Not sure what I'll use it for but hey, its cast iron and was free.

That's similar to a set I have from sometime in the 1970s - 1980s. Made in Taiwan but unlike the modern stuff the bottoms were machined to finish them.

Season well then use as a pot. Clarify butter, boil eggs, whatever.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Assuming you're using a sanding disc I think you'll get bored of sanding long before you remove too much metal.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

wormil posted:

That's the one I was leaning toward. She tried to cook something, set the stove on high and walked away. I can't get the burned whatever off the bottom and am assuming the enamel is probably cracked.

Try simmering a baking soda and water solution for a while.

Also: plastic knob on a dutch oven lid? :wtf: Dumb idea.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

That's weird, I've washed my cast irons, sometimes even with soap and left them unoiled and never had rust

I've seen it happen on boats. That's where I developed the same habit as mostlygray - a quick wipe with oil/grease after each use.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Okay because I'm on dry land and stuff

"No man would go to sea who has wit enough to get himself into gaol. For being at sea is like being in gaol, with the added possibility of being drowned. Further, both the food and company is commonly better in gaol."

That, and you don't have to worry as much about your cast iron rusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

Found a cute little square skillet in need of a minimal cleanup. After I finish making alll of the square bento box omelettes, I will need more ideas.

drat, I've been looking for one of those for ages. I doubt my tamago would taste any different, but it doesn't feel right making it in a round pan.

• Locked thread