Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johann Suit
May 24, 2006
If you like cornbread at all you need to try making it in the cast iron.

Find your favorite cornbread recipe.
Turn on the oven to 350 or whatever your recipe says to preheat.
Wipe a little oil in your cast iron and place the empty pan in the oven to get hot.
While the oven and pan are preheating, mix up the batter.
Once everything is nice and hot, take the pan out of the oven and pour in the batter.
Cook until you can stick a toothpick in and have it come out clean.

Serve immediately with lots of butter (important).

The hot cast iron creates a delicious crust on the bottom of the cornbread, it's truly excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johann Suit
May 24, 2006
I bought my Griswold for $25 at a flea market after a failed attempt of haggling with a grizzly old man. Gave it a good scrub and reseasoned it and it's as good as new.

They can have a good assortment of older pans in different sizes/shapes. I've also seen a fair amount of Dutch ovens and those cornbread corncob muffin tin things.

Johann Suit
May 24, 2006

Doh004 posted:

What's all this love for Griswold? They've smoother surfaces than other cast iron brands?

I don't own any newer pans so I can't make a comparison as far as functionality goes, though mine is supasmooth.

I personally like the idea that is ~~vintage~~ and that I'm cooking with a badass tool that's probably older than I am.

• Locked thread