Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I only had one person use the chat and it was pretty annoying since he used it to let me know everytime I "hosed up". It was like my forth game maybe so yeah I was making a lot of mistakes.

Turns are pretty short so I doubt most people are going to bother to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

Dahbadu posted:

That sucks. Truthfully, I'm 700 ELO now and I haven't encountered anyone that says something other than "I like your deck" and "gg." However, if others start having bad experiences like this, I hope they'll speak up. I'll remove that blurb in the OP about the community not being awful.

The community has been relatively good so far. I did get one douche who started cursing me out, saying "bought deck", "pay2win", and such. I beat him with 2 life left... but not before he used 1m59s of time for his last 2 turns.

There will always be outliers, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The only people I get pissed off with are ELO scummers. I've had some really good games with people who are also pushing to 1001, though.

Noi Albinoi
Nov 4, 2008
In as ImperialMight. Swiss tourneys are a great way to get packs and wildcards from either the win rewards or from Emilio's packs if you have a halfway decent deck.

Currently running Adar-Malik at just a hair underneath 1k elo. :ohdear: This is what I am using: http://www.mmdoc.net/show_deck/19039/

Could be way better but then again, limited by the cards I do have. It gets me tons of wins so it's working, I guess! My most crushing defeat was fighting a Sandalphon player who kept me at 0 resources the entire time rendering me unable to play anything at all as he nibbled away at me with his massive card advantage. Pretty neat.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Magic Lamp posted:

In game as dinolamp

I'm at around 180 ELO now, using a Necro deck. Earlier I played a match in which the other guy played some kind of egyptian deck, and he kept yelling "Helloooooo, ITS YOUR TURN HELLLOOOOO". As if I couldn't notice it's now my turn, what an rear end in a top hat.

I was playing a game yesterday and the guy started bitching at me for taking too long to take my turn when he was massively ahead of me. I told him, "play swiss if you're in a hurry, rear end in a top hat" and proceeded to mop the floor with him so bad in the next two turns that he surrendered. If I need to take two minutes to make up my loving mind in standard queue I will, it's my ELO on the line.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I've only had friendly chats—aside from one person who said he hoped I was quick because he was French. Okay.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So roughly how many cards should my deck be aiming for? Obviously it depends a little on your champion and strategy of choice, but is there any kind of ballpark to shoot for? Right now I have about 60 cards broken down to 30 monsters, 16 Spells, 7 Fortunes using a Necro deck.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Artix posted:

So roughly how many cards should my deck be aiming for? Obviously it depends a little on your champion and strategy of choice, but is there any kind of ballpark to shoot for? Right now I have about 60 cards broken down to 30 monsters, 16 Spells, 7 Fortunes using a Necro deck.

Aim for 50 cards excluding your Hero and your eight Events. Your balance of spells and fortunes is dependent on what powers you want to boost, but Necro usually wants access to Soulreaver at 4 Magic so you'll probably have more spells and only a few fortunes (Gold Pile is common).

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Wow my Sharr stronghold deck finally worked right, 2 of those orcs that hit twice doing 16 dmg was sweet. I wish it could happen before I'm down to 1 hp though. And, people who don't even hit you when you have a stone shield up aren't so bright.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Noi Albinoi posted:

In as ImperialMight. Swiss tourneys are a great way to get packs and wildcards from either the win rewards or from Emilio's packs if you have a halfway decent deck.

Currently running Adar-Malik at just a hair underneath 1k elo. :ohdear: This is what I am using: http://www.mmdoc.net/show_deck/19039/

Could be way better but then again, limited by the cards I do have. It gets me tons of wins so it's working, I guess! My most crushing defeat was fighting a Sandalphon player who kept me at 0 resources the entire time rendering me unable to play anything at all as he nibbled away at me with his massive card advantage. Pretty neat.

I also play Adar Malik sometimes. I sort of stopped because I get stomped by Ishuma, and anyone running Earths Grasp, Monsoon, etc, since Malik can't run Dispels or Cleansing Light. Outmanouvre is bullshit.

I had a stretch where all I saw was Ishumas and it turned me off basically. Then I pulled THREE Ishumas out of packs and maybe the universe is telling me something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think Adar can play decently against Ishuma assuming you tune the deck to be more aggressive (1 drops mostly), but yeah the match-up depends pretty hard on if you get a Forbidden Flame at the right time and recur enough Decay Splitters.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Its hard to get the motivation to play this sometimes. I'm in a slump where I have 1.3k Seals, don't wanna ave up another 1000 from level ups to get the Champion Box, and my deck is solid but not solid enough to hit 1k ELO and most of my cards are a mishmash of every faction (but not that stellar in any of them).

Maybe if I was inferno and my matches were faster, but with my Necro deck each battle is like 10m and gets annoying to do all that for 1,000 gold and 1,000 exp.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

I also play Adar Malik sometimes. I sort of stopped because I get stomped by Ishuma, and anyone running Earths Grasp, Monsoon, etc, since Malik can't run Dispels or Cleansing Light. Outmanouvre is bullshit.

The entire Sanctuary faction is bullshit. They have a two-card combo that instantly sweeps the opponent's board and all their creatures are effectively unblockable unless you can fill an entire line with non-flyers. I've yet to see a Sanctuary deck lose a Swiss duel to anything other than another Sanctuary deck.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

James Totes posted:

Its hard to get the motivation to play this sometimes. I'm in a slump where I have 1.3k Seals, don't wanna ave up another 1000 from level ups to get the Champion Box, and my deck is solid but not solid enough to hit 1k ELO and most of my cards are a mishmash of every faction (but not that stellar in any of them).

Maybe if I was inferno and my matches were faster, but with my Necro deck each battle is like 10m and gets annoying to do all that for 1,000 gold and 1,000 exp.

Buy a FW box for 1400 and use the 37 wildcards to make your deck better.

Or, hell, you probably have good saved too, buy the starter for some other faction, you probably have the cards for it unless you've been pitting everything.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jedit posted:

The entire Sanctuary faction is bullshit. They have a two-card combo that instantly sweeps the opponent's board and all their creatures are effectively unblockable unless you can fill an entire line with non-flyers. I've yet to see a Sanctuary deck lose a Swiss duel to anything other than another Sanctuary deck.

Wait, which deck is this? Are you talking about Yukiko? No one in the upper tier plays Yukiko except as a lock deck, and that doesn't use the Wombo combo.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Playing this after Hearthstone has made me realize that while I like card games, I have zero interest in collecting/grinding/buying cards.

Think I'll stick to card games that come with all the cards in the box :v:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That combo isn't a sanctuary thing. It's an air spell and a water spell. Unless they're the only ones with that school combination, which they might be, I dunno.

Edit: Nope, Sandalphon can too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

That combo isn't a sanctuary thing. It's an air spell and a water spell. Unless they're the only ones with that school combination, which they might be, I dunno.

Edit: Nope, Sandalphon can too.

A lot of Heroes can do that combo, the most seen are Sandalphon and Akane (Academy version).

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
What are academy dudes good at anyway? I have looked over the creatures and apart from some milling I don't really get what the factions strengths are supposed to be.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
There's several heroes, from different factions, that can pull off the "Wombo combo."

But here's the thing, you can really only Wombo combo once a game, and it takes some setup to pull off. The end result is that it clears the board of enemies. However, there's lots of things that can clear the board of enemies, and honestly, I'd rather fight a Wombo combo deck then a magic deck throwing Forked Lightning and Chain Lightning all over the place.

Edit: I removed incorrect info.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 19, 2013

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

What are academy dudes good at anyway? I have looked over the creatures and apart from some milling I don't really get what the factions strengths are supposed to be.

I'm nearing 900 ELO and Academy dudes have been kicking my rear end. They ramp up their Magic super quick, and then wipe the board every other turn. If they have Air magic, prepare to see lots of Forked and Chain Lightnings blowing up all your stuff.

However, I did just manage to beat a 1000 ELO Academy player, but his deck focused on mill. I was actually down to 0 cards and almost dead. Closest and longest game I've played.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 19, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

Mill is a strong strategy, but the main focus are the 1 and 2 drops that give +magic whenever they're on the field. That allows you to accelerate your requirement curve and gives earlier access to start drawing cards via Hero power.

Some decks like Asalah take it to the extreme and play nothing but small drops, often having only 2 Might throughout the game since most Academy dudes have low Might requirement.

By hitting the 1 and 2 drop Magic-boosting guys, you have the option to hit the cost curve OR have the option of playing the cost curve spell which no other faction can do.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Dahbadu posted:

Actually, I believe there's several heroes that can pull off this "Wombo combo."

Sanctuary I guess can do it easier, because they just need a hero with Air magic. They have creatures with the Ambush ability, which functions similar to Ice Spliters, so you don't need Water magic.

But here's the thing, you can really only Wombo combo once a game, and it takes some setup to pull off. The end result is that it clears the board of enemies. However, there's lots of things that can clear the board of enemies, and honestly, I'd rather fight a Wombo combo deck then a magic deck throwing Forked Lightning and Chain Lightning all over the place.

Ambush only works when you deploy there, not move, so you still need the ice splinters.

Sanctuary just happens to have multiple heroes with air/water.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

Ambush only works when you deploy there, not move, so you still need the ice splinters.

Thanks for correcting me. I'm still learning...

Also, Ubisoft just gave me the starter deck I was missing. It took them about 24 hours total (non-business). So I'm glad the support actually worked.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 19, 2013

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
For people wondering about the stacking daily rewards, I've been told it varies, but here's this week's list for me:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

So it looks like the rewards have a variance. I actually already took a printscreen of my own rewards and added it to the OP. You're getting 55 more seals than me!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
And 70 more than me, mine was a lot more gold though, about 16k all totaled up.

Also I just won my first Swiss so wooooooo free packs baby.

Holy Christ the achievement for 1sting a Swiss is 50k gold, and the one for doing it with a specific faction is a hero.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 19, 2013

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Wait. Do you get all of the rewards if you cash in the last one?

Also I finally got some deathseekers and assassins into my inferno deck. They're both completely absurd and allowed me to finally get rid of my last few 1 power creatures and take a bit off my top-end. I also jammed a few more spells (fireball, town portal, the board sweeper and the 2 damage to column spell) into the deck and it's really playing a lot smoother. I've even kept my first hand a few times! Still plenty I want to change but without spending cash that will take some time.

VV: I thought it just kept upping the rewards and giving you the latest one. That's awesome you get it all.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 19, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Higsian posted:

Wait. Do you get all of the rewards if you cash in the last one?

Yeah that is the point. But if you keep letting it roll and miss a day in the middle you lose it all.

Edit to ask: anyone who plays Dhamiria: I have opened a bajillion packs feels like, and I have zero Hellfire Maniacs. How vital are they, and is it worth breaking the "don't altar for uncommons" rule to get a playset? I feel like Ur-Khrang Enforcers are plenty of power for the 5-drop slot, but everyone swears by Maniacs.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 19, 2013

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JoshTheStampede posted:

And 70 more than me, mine was a lot more gold though, about 16k all totaled up.

Also I just won my first Swiss so wooooooo free packs baby.

Holy Christ the achievement for 1sting a Swiss is 50k gold, and the one for doing it with a specific faction is a hero.

You owe us a tournament report so I can decide if my worthless pile of cards is wagering a ticket on.

Also, I get better daily rewards because I'm awesome. :smaug:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toshimo posted:

You owe us a tournament report so I can decide if my worthless pile of cards is wagering a ticket on.

Also, I get better daily rewards because I'm awesome. :smaug:

It's really luck of the queue. I played in a couple Swisses where I got curbstomped by 2 Ishuma rushes before I happened to draw some good matchups. The one I won I played against Hakeem mill, Kelthor rush, and Seria.

The thing about Swiss is that the timer is a harsh mistress. The matches are on chess clocks, 7 minutes a side. LOTS of games go to time. Which favors rush down decks I guess but Dhamiria isn't very fast and I did ok. Whatever deck you are playing make sure you know it well and can play it pretty fast and not take a minute per turn or whatever like you have the luxury of doing with standard queues. People WILL make mistakes for playing too fast. They drop Paos when I have Earth Grasp out, they gently caress up their damage math because they don't notice Might of Nature, etc. playing well fast is more important than playing perfect. Don't make those mistakes and capitalize when people do.

As for my deck, it's pretty well fleshed out, I have both the important unique epic spells and a Doombringer, but only 1 Caller of the Void and no Void Arbiters. I think everything else in the deck is uncommon or common. It's mainly good creatures and a ton of board wipes. Even good games against rush decks usually see me drop to 10 life or so before I can stabilize and take over.

Still though, it's 3 rounds with 8-man fields and 1st and 2nd get a pack, with one of the remaining losers who actually played all three rounds also getting a consolation pack. That's not bad odds. I've probably played about 10 Swisses and got 1st once, 2nd twice and the loser pack once, so I feel like that's a pretty decent return on my free tickets. Especially if I'm gonna get 2+ tickets from daily rewards a week.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 19, 2013

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You know, everyone had been pretty chill so far.

But then...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Just a reminder that you can report a player, just get s screenshot of the abuse and abuser's name: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/769059-I-want-to-report-a-player-What-do-I-do

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I'm facing mostly Necropolis and Haven decks at around 600+ and I get another free Gold boost. I trigger it and run into 4 Sanctuary decks.

Needless to say, my final "Gold Boost" was +231

gently caress you Sanctuary, just gently caress you.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I know you're not supposed to use seals for consumables, but I'm impatient and do. If you activate 10 of them you get 10 free.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I finally broke 1000 ELO. I had to beat some crazy 1200+ ELO Sanctuary deck to do it.

I've been trying out different Haven cards that probably aren't considered "meta." I don't see other players using these guys, but I think they're awesome:

You can deploy them in an Ambush row and it doesn't phase them.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I must be missing something here. I'm doing the campaign with the Inferno starter, and fighting this dude named Crag Hack. By like turn 6 he has his entire board full of creatures, and me down to 7 HP, while I struggle to get more than 2 things on the board at a time. He just seems to play cards for free rapidly, and there is nothing I can do to stop him. I've attempted this guy 6 times, and have yet to even hit him before I die. What am I not doing right? I just don't have the resources to play anything at all, while he pumps out 3+ creatures a turn, even in the early game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Crag Hack has an ability that allows him to deploy neutral creatures cheaper.

Since you're Inferno, make use of your fire-based spells to wipe out a good portion of his board while using cheaper creatures to stave him off. Demented and Hellhounds' Sweep Attacks can also deal damage to multiples at once, and if you get enough to pull out a Lilim they have a lot of health.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Crag Hack has an ability that allows him to deploy neutral creatures cheaper.

Since you're Inferno, make use of your fire-based spells to wipe out a good portion of his board while using cheaper creatures to stave him off. Demented and Hellhounds' Sweep Attacks can also deal damage to multiples at once, and if you get enough to pull out a Lilim they have a lot of health.

The problem with that is, he has a full board before I can do anything. It takes all of my resources to play a creature, and then he plays 4. I can't keep up with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

Still though, it's 3 rounds with 8-man fields and 1st and 2nd get a pack, with one of the remaining losers who actually played all three rounds also getting a consolation pack. That's not bad odds.

Is it only one? I've played three Swiss events so far, placed second in one and got an Emilio's in both the others.

• Locked thread