Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

FrancoFish posted:

The problem with that is, he has a full board before I can do anything. It takes all of my resources to play a creature, and then he plays 4. I can't keep up with him.

Maybe post your deck and I'll try to demo on a Crag Hack battle or two, because he really isn't that difficult. It's even easier if you cheese him with Pit of Madness, because the AI is programmed not to do anything against a discard effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noi Albinoi
Nov 4, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

People WILL make mistakes for playing too fast. They drop Paos when I have Earth Grasp out, they gently caress up their damage math because they don't notice Might of Nature, etc. playing well fast is more important than playing perfect. Don't make those mistakes and capitalize when people do.

This sums it up. I came 1st so many times because of this. Make sure you know your deck and double-check the events before doing anything.

If you haven't done swiss tourneys yet, do them! First time you win is 50k gold and a hero, 5th time you win is another 6 tickets and that's not including the tourney rewards. If you have a pile of ticket and a decent deck, go and try it out. Most of the players are bad so you will most likely place top 3 and get free packs for the price of 1 ticket.

Also, if you get elo 1000+, that's another 50k. :haw:

This game is super generous with its rewards even though most of it is achievement-based.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

FrancoFish posted:

I must be missing something here. I'm doing the campaign with the Inferno starter, and fighting this dude named Crag Hack. By like turn 6 he has his entire board full of creatures, and me down to 7 HP, while I struggle to get more than 2 things on the board at a time. He just seems to play cards for free rapidly, and there is nothing I can do to stop him. I've attempted this guy 6 times, and have yet to even hit him before I die. What am I not doing right? I just don't have the resources to play anything at all, while he pumps out 3+ creatures a turn, even in the early game.

Focus on killing his creatures more than anything and ignore the damage he does to you. Most of your creatures are better than his and a few of them have sweep attacks that can kill multiples of his creatures. I just loaded up the starter inferno cards and played 3 games and won all 3 of them, with 10 8 and 3 health respectively so it's definitely doable. You have to use your health pool as a resource and play like a control deck using all your creatures and teleports and whatnot to clean off his board while you get time to play your better and more expensive stuff. Here's what the last battle looked like when I had essentially won:

As you can see I did very little damage to him, and took a lot of damage while I scrambled to get enough creatures out to kill his. Once you get a lilim, a fireball, or just enough 3+ health dudes out the game should be over provided your hand isn't otherwise complete crap (there is a lot of crap in the starter deck, you can see a few clogging my hand there).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So really, I'm trying to build up Haven again, I've just been buying Void Rising and hoping for Wolf cards. I don't wanna spend my Wildcards, even if I should get another Lightning Speed.

I am incredibly far away from both Void Rising and Herald of the Void being unlocked in the Altar. I really don't know where to keep going as I slowly grind up Seals

EDIT: Also talking about difficult story missions. Altar of the Spider Goddess was a freaking wall for me.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 19, 2013

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I figure Ill stick with Necro for a bit to keep grinding rating/xp/gold/cheevos. They aren't the worst.

So, should I just dump a bunch of Wildcards on snatching Atropos and Adar-Malik? What is the purple rarity on Adar-Malik? Is he available elsewhere?

Is it really that wasteful to snag cheaper cards with Wildcards? I feel like I'd get a lot of play out of 3 more gold piles.

Any other good advice is welcome.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toshimo posted:

I figure Ill stick with Necro for a bit to keep grinding rating/xp/gold/cheevos. They aren't the worst.

So, should I just dump a bunch of Wildcards on snatching Atropos and Adar-Malik? What is the purple rarity on Adar-Malik? Is he available elsewhere?

Is it really that wasteful to snag cheaper cards with Wildcards? I feel like I'd get a lot of play out of 3 more gold piles.

Purple is the rarity color for heroes. Yes, Atropos is worth the wildcards. Malik depends on whether you want to play him, basically, but Atropos fits in any necro deck. He also comes in packs, I think Herald of the Void? Possibly FW, he's kinda Egyptian. I know I have pulled him from packs.

The theory behind not using wildcards on uncommons is that you'll get more packs at a decent clip and your chances of opening them later are good, whereas counting on opening an Atropos or a Forbidden Flame are much much lower.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 19, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Toshimo posted:

Adar-Malik is available in Heroic Packs for his set - you'll have to check his icon to see which it is, but I think it's Void Rising - and in Emilio's Packs. I got him in an Emilio's yesterday.

And yes, it is wasteful to get commons with Wildcards. A common costs 1/5th of a rare, you get 8 times as many commons as rares. So in the time it takes you to find 1 copy of that rare in a pack, you will get 8 copies of the common.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Well, Adar-Malik seems a lot better than the starter hero for my deck a s I'm currently using zero Water spells and I think I'd get a lot more mileage out of Fire. Also, I won't be super sad about droppug my 2 Fortune(3) cards.

The thing with gold piles is that I'm not even buying any base set stuff wirh my gold/seals so the only way I'd see more at this point is Emilio packs from tourneys and cheevo rewards.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toshimo posted:

Well, Adar-Malik seems a lot better than the starter hero for my deck a s I'm currently using zero Water spells and I think I'd get a lot more mileage out of Fire. Also, I won't be super sad about droppug my 2 Fortune(3) cards.

The thing with gold piles is that I'm not even buying any base set stuff wirh my gold/seals so the only way I'd see more at this point is Emilio packs from tourneys and cheevo rewards.

Yeah, it's not a crazy idea if you never plan to buy base set packs anymore. Just realize its inefficient, but if it's the only way you'll ever get the card and you can accept the tradeoff then go for it.

Adar Malik is a much different deck than Seria. He's more of a stall deck, where you use your awesome dark and fire spells to hold off the enemy until you can take over by recurring Atropos and Banshees and ideally Pao Deathseekers to burn out the enemy.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

FrancoFish posted:

The problem with that is, he has a full board before I can do anything. It takes all of my resources to play a creature, and then he plays 4. I can't keep up with him.

As others have pointed out, Crag Hack is kind of a one trick pony. If he doesn't beat you by the time you can start getting 4 drops out, he is pretty much boned. Focus on getting out and protecting sweepers at first, and then drop Lilims who will clog up lanes long enough for you to drop more sweepers. You will be taking out his guys 2 and 3 at a time and for every one of your units he kills he's going to lose many more. Once he empties his hand there's nothing he can do but spend resources on drawing and hope he gets the creatures he needs, which he almost certainly won't.

When I play against Crag Hack (players, but this should work against the pc too) I deliberately don't place units in the lanes he's placing in - I aim for dropping sweepers in unoccupied lanes where he can't get to them. Since Crag Hack's deck is so creature heavy it's unlikely he has a lot of good removal options so you just need to wait for him to place a creature in front of a sweeper. He might get me down to very low health, but by that point I've stabilized the board and he no longer has any way to get through to me to do direct damage. Sweep is the key to dealing with his army.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 19, 2013

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I've updated the OP again, based on feedback in this thread and my own experience.

I learned last night there's a nice achievement for winning with a max card deck (209 cards). This is a lot easier to accomplish at lower ELO brackets. So if you're just starting out and bought a box, try making a huge deck!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Man, I got to 600ish ELO and my deck seems to have completely fallen apart. Seems like all I run up against are Haven and Necro decks that I get almost dead before they stabilize and wreck my face because I have either not enough removal in my hand or not enough attack on the board to deal with their creatures. I really need to get some more Inner Fires from packs, and maybe some more shooters because I'm awful melee heavy right now and my front lines can get clogged really fast. Of course lack of late-game survivability is a problem rush decks have had in every CCG ever, I might try to retool it into more of a mid-game deck, but I only have a vague idea how to go about that so it'll be an adventure!

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Bussamove posted:

Man, I got to 600ish ELO and my deck seems to have completely fallen apart. Seems like all I run up against are Haven and Necro decks that I get almost dead before they stabilize and wreck my face because I have either not enough removal in my hand or not enough attack on the board to deal with their creatures. I really need to get some more Inner Fires from packs, and maybe some more shooters because I'm awful melee heavy right now and my front lines can get clogged really fast. Of course lack of late-game survivability is a problem rush decks have had in every CCG ever, I might try to retool it into more of a mid-game deck, but I only have a vague idea how to go about that so it'll be an adventure!

My advice would be to try not to get hung up on whatever someone considers is "meta" and just follow the below guidelines:

Fill the deck with mostly 2-4 drops. A mid-game deck is a good idea. My Haven deck is a mid-game, and I don't use Tithe Collectors, Gold Piles, or even Campires. I just fill it with the most efficient 2-4 drops I can find.

Put in at least a dozen spells, almost all removal. Even if someone says a certain removal spell isn't good (I think someone said fireball wasn't good), put in at least 3 of them. Is it common/uncommon? Can you get your hands on it easily? Does it do direct damage? Great, put it in!

Also look for cards that will let your creatures attack the first turn they come out or move an enemy creature. That would seem to be really advantageous to Inferno.

I would avoid most fortunes. Maybe include a few Campires, to help you take power turns later on.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 19, 2013

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

Bussamove posted:

Same thing happened with me. I guess it's time to create a new deck :( So long Takana

Edit: On the plus side - that deck you won with from 100-600 will probably mop the floors in tournies.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Early Garrant Inferno rush basically comes down to getting enough early beats in, then Teleport/Town Portal for the last few damage. You definitely need Pao the Deathseekers because Garrant's main strength is instant burst damage via Pao's, Teleports, and Alter of Destruction.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

What sort of rating do you need to reach for top 30% of a Jackpot?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jedit posted:

What sort of rating do you need to reach for top 30% of a Jackpot?

That's tier...3 I think? Probably 200.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
How can you even tell what tier you're in?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tae posted:

That's tier...3 I think? Probably 200.

Nuts to that, then. I constantly get terrible players who somehow manage to draw three copies of their best removal spell in their top 15 cards regardless of deck size. Also I'm at exactly 1000 ELO.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Higsian posted:

How can you even tell what tier you're in?

You don't, you just keep playing in the jackpot until you feel you're as high as you can go. Going Tier 1 takes a long commitment for the day if you're even undefeated so I don't bother.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I now have 8 wild cards and can round out my hero collection with Morgan, and get 3 small packs. Or keep going with stockpiling them until I unlock Void Rising.

Also I've gone back to Cassandra, I didn't have enough water to make Sandy work.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Never ever buy small packs. They are horribly inefficient for 2 random cards out of 3 sets. At least with a pack you get a chance at minimum a rare and 3 uncommons.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tae posted:

Never ever buy small packs. They are horribly inefficient for 2 random cards out of 3 sets. At least with a pack you get a chance at minimum a rare and 3 uncommons.

well clearly, the achievement for getting all 4 of Havens base heroes is 3 Small Packs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

well clearly, the achievement for getting all 4 of Havens base heroes is 3 Small Packs.

Wow really? Guess that's why I forgot about that achievement, especially since Morgan was nerfed to hell. Poor Morgan.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tae posted:

Wow really? Guess that's why I forgot about that achievement, especially since Morgan was nerfed to hell. Poor Morgan.

Yeah, Morgan is the last guy I have to grab for the base set. and his apparently lack of usefulness as a main hero has been my reason for not picking him up. And since I'm coming up to my next pack 0 - And again I'm trying to build up Haven - Void Rising or Herald of the Void?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ok, I just don't get the boxes.

Like, The Box seems like a fair deal if you need base set stuff, but the Heroic Box having a 6/4 pack split and costing more just seems... well... I pretty much get why the other 3 sets don't have Heroic packs now. Cause the Heroic packs seem janky as well (-4 Commons, -1 Uncommon, +1 Hero). Like, that whole distribution method seems contrived.

Also, the Void Rising box indicates it comes with 10 Reinforcement packs, which surely must be a misprint (and one that's been there for a long time if the fact that it's 3 sets old is any indication).

Are small packs always base set cards?

I guess from here on out, I sink gold on VR packs until I unlock VR crafting then Emilio's erryday. Then I might even get some random Gold Piles and Campfires.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I'm in a weird place as far as buying packs is concerned. On one hand I really want to unlock the other sets in the altar, on the other there's some cards I desperately need 1-2 more copies of (Lilim, Paos, Inner Fire) from the base set to really make my deck jive. I've already blown too many wildcards on uncommons, but the game seems hellbent on not giving me what I need.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

So I made a new deck today. I was tired of my Haven deck, and I felt it had too many weaknesses. I decided to give Academy a try, because in the two boxes of FW I bought, I got a bunch of Academy stuff. It's basically an aggro deck with DD spells for control, relying on the super efficient creatures that Academy has. Also, I'm hoping that it will match up well against Sanctuary decks.

So far I'm 2 for 4 in ranked post-1000 ELO with it, but I'm learning the deck. I think it has potential!

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
Anyone have any info on the Jackpot tourney? I'm ranked #2000 and I'm not sure if I should quit while I'm "ahead" or keep playing and risk losing 2,000 more ranks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wagoneer posted:

Anyone have any info on the Jackpot tourney? I'm ranked #2000 and I'm not sure if I should quit while I'm "ahead" or keep playing and risk losing 2,000 more ranks.

From my experience, 100 Elo is barely enough get tier 5 which is about 5k gold.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

Tae posted:

Uh what? The only Jackpot rating that matters is your T-elo for that day's tourney.

I have no idea. How do I scale my ranking/ELO? I would assume that if my ELO goes up, so does my ranking.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw your scale. drat. It's hardly even worth participating then! Swiss is so much more fruitful.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
WOOHOO 1000 rating! Here I come FIFTY THOUSAND GO-

Yeah no, it's 1001 rating. Apparently. Even though the earlier achievements are in even lots of 100.

If I lose my next duel I'm protected by the 1000 rating floor right? I'd have to lose 10 in a row to not get the achievement right? Or is that 1001 also? I'm so close to not caring about ELO again that I can taste it. But I need to know I'm safe so I don't go on tilt. :blush:

Bussamove posted:

I'm in a weird place as far as buying packs is concerned. On one hand I really want to unlock the other sets in the altar, on the other there's some cards I desperately need 1-2 more copies of (Lilim, Paos, Inner Fire) from the base set to really make my deck jive. I've already blown too many wildcards on uncommons, but the game seems hellbent on not giving me what I need.

Yeah inferno is in a weird spot for packs. The base set is by far the best set for rush inferno, but getting that leaves the altar of wishes a long long way away. I just bit the bullet and bought expansion packs anyway. You can still hit 1000 rating on just that and buying dark assassins and pao deathseekers. I think I have all of 5 expansion cards I happily jammed into my deck (2xhellfire slave, hellfire maniac, fire blast, rise of the nethermancer). Even those wouldn't necessarily make the cut if I had access to every card, and I probably would not be happy with them at all if I wasn't so midrange out of necessity.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 20, 2013

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Higsian posted:

If I lose my next duel I'm protected by the 1000 rating floor right?

Yes, YOU ARE PROTECTED. I lost my first duel after getting 1000 too. Don't worry, you got this.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah I lost my first game after 1000 too. Oh well I'll just try again...

Or that. That works for me too I guess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's in the OP as I said, but you have to lose about 10 times in a row to get below the elo barrier (500, 1000, 1500).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What do you think about the Ariana deck while it's on sale for 599 seals?

Ariana by herself is 21 Wildcards and it comes with a few other useful bits:
2x Archlich
2x Soulreaver
1x Time Jump
1x Puppet Master
2x Gold Pile

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

The Arianna deck is actually not bad, if you only ever plan on spending a very limited amount on the game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dahbadu posted:

The Arianna deck is actually not bad, if you only ever plan on spending a very limited amount on the game.

You know, until you said that I didn't realize she was the 5k card reward. Never mind.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I picked up SolForge a few days ago and really enjoyed it and put a lot of hours into it in just a few days. Then I found this game yesterday and now Solforge is babytown frolics. It's still fun but this is REALLY fun(so far).

You can add me on there as NewCardSmell. After I grind out a couple decks worth of cards I might start streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Toshimo posted:

You know, until you said that I didn't realize she was the 5k card reward. Never mind.

5k cards is a lot. I still don't have that achievement, mostly because I'm using the pit but it takes a long time to accumulate that. Better just to get it via gold since Necro is generally one of the easier and cheaper decks to make and Ariana is one of the best.

• Locked thread