Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, no fermenting action here. Should i

A) cook it anyways

B) add yeast and wait till morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
How cold is it out there? Did you soak the fenugreek with the rice? Can you photograph what you have? Foo you have any cooked rice?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It was cold, but I had my slow cooker rigged to 90°F. Fenugreek was soaking with the rice. Even so after 24 hours it did nothing, and I had to visit my mom so I just tossed it out. My rice is old so maybe the yeast was dead.

So, toss in some cooked rice next time?

I also read elsewhere that a little baking soda might make it more hospitable to yeast

Is throwing in some yeast or sourdough starter an option as well?

Is getting new rice the best option?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
The age of the rice means nothing at all. If the drat thing doesn't rise after 24 hours, pitch in a bit of yeast, and call it a night. Baking soda will hamper the flavour. You want the thing to taste sour, not bland. It's well possible that your local yeasts aren't in the mood for it. In the winter, when you don't have a decently humid area in which to rise your batter, I'll add two TB of cooked rice to the soaked rice, and grind them together. It seems to make it puff rather nicely. If even that doesn't work, go with the yeast.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How much, a pinch? Does it matter what kind?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Are you also going to make coconut chutney?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

How much, a pinch? Does it matter what kind?

me posted:

I'll add two TB of cooked rice to the soaked rice, and grind them together.

@Hundu: If coconut weren't so damned expensive, I'd say yes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh sorry I wasn't clear, I was asking how much yeast

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

Oh sorry I wasn't clear, I was asking how much yeast

Bahaaha ok. Yeah, to that batter recipe I had in the OP, throw in a teaspoon or two.

I re-read your post. Were you actually putting the batter in a crock pot? O_o Was it a double boiler situation? Because I feel like even if the temperature wasn't too terribly high, all that hot ceramic can't be good for the formation of the wild yeast. Is that how you rise bread? (Because if it is, and it's effective, I need to tell my bread making friends that the crock pot can be used for that, and they'll be pretty thrilled.)

How my sister-in-law does it (because her oven doesn't have a forever-on pilot light) is to heat up the oven to 350F, turn off the heat completely, and then pitch the container with the batter into said oven. It usually rises in like three to six hours.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah I put a sous vide PID controller on it to keep it at 90°F, I think if I just had the crock by itself the "warm" function would go to 150-160°F and it would be bacteria holocaust

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Dosa is one of my truly favorite dishes. It I had the infrastructure to cook that now I would. In the mean time I'll just drool over your pictures.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Poop, no fermentation after 2 days. Will try again with some cooked rice.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I Dosa'd!

Thanks dino.!

mine was a bit sluggish to ferment, too, even in the oven with the light on but after 3 days it ROSE HALLELUJAH :dance:

glooooooreh

delicious. I still cant quite get that perfect smooth sheen of brown that my local joint gets but it was still crispy, sour, nice chew, perfect otherwise.

Served with potato masala. mustard seed, cumin seed, fenugreek seed popped in hot fat. turmeric and hing. sliced onion, minced black cobra chiles, garlic, and ginger. sliced cooked potatoes and cooked through. salt to taste. I went a little overboard with the chiles, but it was still delicious albeit a bit painful

Thanks again dino!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
24 hours, no activity. Threw in a teaspoon of instant yeast at the 12 hour mark. Will try cooked rice tonight if no activity. I guess I'll keep holding out longer this time too. ^^^

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Day 3: couple big bubbles, lots of little ones. Old cooked rice went in yesterday. What do you think, another day?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Day 3: couple big bubbles, lots of little ones. Old cooked rice went in yesterday. What do you think, another day?

How does it smell? Should smell sour.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Smelled sour yesterday, smells yeasty (is that carbon dioxide?) and sour today

Edit: also very foamy. I might give it another day

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 13, 2013

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It's ready.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Yaaaayyyyyy

Came out a little thick so the inside was a little undercooked. Will probably thin it out for the next few.

edit: should I put water or just use less batter and smear it around some more?

I really should have eaten a dosa beforehand as reference. I feel like I'm trying to paint a horse without ever having seen one

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 13, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5woNs9WRE

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Yaaaayyyyyy

Came out a little thick so the inside was a little undercooked. Will probably thin it out for the next few.

edit: should I put water or just use less batter and smear it around some more?

I really should have eaten a dosa beforehand as reference. I feel like I'm trying to paint a horse without ever having seen one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56UFhVUEbhM

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Thanks. Ended up adding water and smearing it around with the bottom of a custard cup.

Much better now

The gently caress do they get the entire bottoms brown? Street vendors piss me off with their food sorcery :argh:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 14, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks. Ended up adding water and smearing it around with the bottom of a custard cup.

Much better now

The gently caress do they get the entire bottoms brown? Street vendors piss me off with their food sorcery :argh:

Stop flipping it. It should only be cooked on one side. Cook it slower.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

GrAviTy84 posted:

Stop flipping it. It should only be cooked on one side. Cook it slower.

Thanks for the tip, that makes sense! Cook it like injera, slow and low, just longer?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Cooking slow doesn't seem to do it, my batter invariably warps as it solidifies whether it's cooked fast or slow, hot or medium, and the warping lifts up parts so that some parts get brown and others don't, usually in a veiny pattern. I smeared in circles, I put the batter in a squeeze bottle and drew circles, it didn't matter.

Maybe it got over-fermented. Maybe I have too much water. Maybe not enough. Maybe it needs different ingredients. I dunno. I'm gonna have to do some tweaking in the future.

Someday...

Still delicious though.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 14, 2013

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Can I use split urad dal for this or does it have to be whole?

edit: re-reading the first post it doesn't seem like it's a problem. The skin is still on though is that OK?

edit2: whatever, IM GOING FOR IT

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 24, 2014

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It'll throw off the colour but other than that it will be delicious.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Well I couldn't get it to rise without adding yeast myself so it wasn't sour :( I ate it with potato curry and yogurt though and it was pretty good. I love the texture of the crispyness on one side and the spongy interior. I have a vitamix so the mixing process wasn't too much of a pain - although I tried to do the rice all at once (I made half the OP recipe) and started to smell the engine burning so I had to turn it down. First thing that's ever given my vitamix trouble. I will certainly be making it again - thanks for the recipe and thread!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Yeah, it's one of those things that you don't grind in large batches. Even people who own "wet grinders", which are literal rotating stones that grind down dosa batter to the smoothness of butter, will be careful about how much they put in. In the video I've linked, that person is grinding urad daal, which is actually easier to grind than rice. And look at the size of that machine. Now notice how little they put in.

Wet grinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjjm9nSxCQQ

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I ground the batter Friday afternoon, it took until Sunday afternoon to look puffy. I fried up some on Saturday anyway because we were having a potluck and it was still tasty then. My first couple looked more like Steve's but they got better looking as I did a few. I think one of the things is to not put down more oil with each dosa before putting the batter in the pan, that's what is making it puff up and brown unevenly. Mine got more evenly browned and crisp when I just ladled in the batter without regreasing the pan, then once it started to set I drizzled a bit more oil around the edges.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Good lord, that looks delicious, Miche. Is yours a nonstick or cast iron pan or something? It's possible that your pan holds onto oil better than others.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
It's all thanks to you dino! <3 Followed your dosa instructions and your basic dal method for the filling.

Yeah, I used a nonstick crepe pan. I tried using the cast iron too but had less success with it. I'm still putting oil on the nonstick pan but after the dosa is already on the pan, then the next one uses the residual oil. I still have a lot of batter left, my next attempt I'll just try wiping on the barest amount of oil using a paper towel before the first one.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Oh for sure. If you're using nonstick, you barely want any oil on there initially, and just drizzle a bit around the edges for easier lifting, and around the dosa itself for flavour. You can definitely keep the batter in the fridge to use as quick breakfast or light lunch options.

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

If you fake the funk, your nose will grow
What kind of texture are you looking for before fermentation? I'm looking at something like a non Newtonian fluid and an overheated Vita mix. I'm thinking I need to add more soaking liquid.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mizbachevenim posted:

What kind of texture are you looking for before fermentation? I'm looking at something like a non Newtonian fluid and an overheated Vita mix. I'm thinking I need to add more soaking liquid.

If it's before fermentation any texture that has some liquid is fine. After, when you're ready to fry, you want like crepe batter.

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

so many abominations

is there a place for aborted dosa in heaven

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

mizbachevenim posted:

so many abominations

is there a place for aborted dosa in heaven

Mother of god

I owe you sexual favors dino...

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Holy cow, Mizbach! That is soooooo gorgeous. You don't owe me sexual favours. Just invite me over to help you eat that dosa. Great work!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mizbachevenim posted:

Mother of god

I owe you sexual favors dino...

Yeah, that's loving perfect. I just ate Sunday buffet at an Indian place known for it's dosa, and those look exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

I'm simply wild over them, thanks for the instructions. I even made a little cone for my toddler, which she promptly put in the dishwasher...

• Locked thread