Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

XyloJW posted:

I have a Ted Rall contest in mind in the next few months.

The winner had better come second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

XyloJW posted:

For added challenge, only accept entries that look like stuff Rall would draw. So most people would get disqualified for having edits that are too well put together, aren't wordy enough, or have art that doesn't make your eyes bleed.

...actually, you might want to stock up on eye gauze before you do such an insane stunt.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

ThirdPartyView posted:

(see the Hello Kitty debacle)

I'd forgotten about that, so I just looked it up. From the blog entry Rall writes when he finds out about it:

Todd posted:

Usually, these things are less than cut and dry. But it’s pretty hard to believe that any illustrator could be unaware of my use of the Hello Kitty imagery to define Obama–it ain’t as branded as Generalissimo El Busho yet, but come on. This one fails the smell test.
It never occurs to Rall that most people have never heard of him and probably don't know anything about his work, much less that he'd used a symbol on Obama's chest a handful of times. Of course all illustrators are intimately familiar with his work!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jedit posted:

The winner had better come second.

While provoking any sort of reaction out of Asay was never more than a pleasant fantasy, if we do a Rall thread I'd rate it even odds or better he'll make at least some noise given what a thin-skinned petulant child the man is. Hell, I'm a little surprised he's not already started screaming of the few edit parodies of his work that made the frontpage

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Sefer posted:

I'd forgotten about that, so I just looked it up. From the blog entry Rall writes when he finds out about it:

It never occurs to Rall that most people have never heard of him and probably don't know anything about his work, much less that he'd used a symbol on Obama's chest a handful of times. Of course all illustrators are intimately familiar with his work!

Wait, Generalissimo El Busho (goddamn is that a stupid name) is supposed to be an original creation of Rall? I thought he just made Bush look like M. Bison.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Not My Leg posted:

Wait, Generalissimo El Busho (goddamn is that a stupid name) is supposed to be an original creation of Rall? I thought he just made Bush look like M. Bison.

Didn't he also do Generalissimo Obamo after the 2008 election?

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

ThirdPartyView posted:

wasn't there a DBD edit thread in 2012?
There was a thread where you could edit any cartoon anyway and a lot of goons did DBD.

Shine posted:

Didn't he also do Generalissimo Obamo after the 2008 election?
Rall started drawing Generalissimo Obamo immediately after the election. Two months before Obama was even sworn in:

http://www.gocomics.com/tedrall/2008/11/27#.UtB2z0DRV-x

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Mighty Stalker posted:

There was a thread where you could edit any cartoon anyway and a lot of goons did DBD.

Rall started drawing Generalissimo Obamo immediately after the election. Two months before Obama was even sworn in:

http://www.gocomics.com/tedrall/2008/11/27#.UtB2z0DRV-x

I don't have a link right now, but TapTheForwardAssist ran a DBD contest last year called Muiry Sue Shrugged.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

XyloJW posted:

Oh God yes :allears:

Oh God no :gonk:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God yes :allears:

Oh God no :gonk:

Obama lied, and Brian died

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

XyloJW posted:

I don't have a link right now, but TapTheForwardAssist ran a DBD contest last year called Muiry Sue Shrugged.

Here is the DBD contest thread (archives required).

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Congrats to all the winners! I was about to give a shoutout to the goons who made my two personal favorite edits from the thread, but then I realized both were made by grand prize winner Mighty Stalker. Thanks for making me laugh. Repeatedly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
My favorite:
Turns out crowfeathers and Mighty Stalker did most of my favorites anyways (aside from fuper gay), and I didn't realize how many (hilarious) entries both of them contributed. I haven't laughed this hard in ages, especially at a photoshop thread. Awesome, awesome work.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 11, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
EDIT: wrong thread... whoops

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

Sweet GoatsAsay was mentioned honorably! How do I redeem my prize?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Eponymouse posted:

Sweet GoatsAsay was mentioned honorably! How do I redeem my prize?

Whenever you find an avatar you want, just ask me and I'll make it happen. If this thread isn't still around, just ask in the main Cartoons thread. No time limit.

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

XyloJW posted:

Whenever you find an avatar you want, just ask me and I'll make it happen. If this thread isn't still around, just ask in the main Cartoons thread. No time limit.

All right I have an avatar in mind. How does this work?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Post the avatar and how you want the text to look, and I'll make it happen.

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

I REGRET NOTHING

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Uhh hey, I won a thing? Wasn't expecting that, but cheers!
I'll get back to you on the avatar if that's cool

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

In case anyone was wondering what the first prize was, here it is:

XyloJW asked Ward Sutton (Kelly from the Onion) for his whiskey sour recipe and this is it!

An Authentic Kelly Brand™ Whiskey Sour

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mighty Stalker posted:

XyloJW asked Ward Sutton (Kelly from the Onion) for his whiskey sour recipe and this is it!

That is pretty awesome. :allears: Congratulations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Mighty Stalker posted:

Is that a plastic bottle? Cause it looks like the unflavored Listerine. Which is incredibly appropriate

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
What an awesome and appropriate thing to win in this contest. Xylo, that was inspired.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

Is that a plastic bottle? Cause it looks like the unflavored Listerine. Which is incredibly appropriate

Sutton specified Black Velvet or any other whiskey in a plastic bottle.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've gotta wonder how that conversation goes. "So you know how you did a cartoon once years ago that mentioned Whiskey Sours? Well we sure do."

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

cheetah7071 posted:

I've gotta wonder how that conversation goes. "So you know how you did a cartoon once years ago that mentioned Whiskey Sours? Well we sure do."

Every once in a while people close to me notice that I seem to have an inordinate knowledge of and opinions about political cartoons. At those times I reflect on the really bizarre way the internet has hosed me up.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

cheetah7071 posted:

I guess a fanbase is a fanbase.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I told him about the contest and that we're all big fans of his, and asked how Kelly would make a Whiskey Sour, and linked his old cartoon for clarification. This was his response, in case you guys want to make your own!

quote:

Kelly would make his Whiskey Sour with Black Velvet whiskey - which he considers fine quality. “The Ladies” recognize a man of sophistication when they see he drinks Black Velvet. If his regular store is sold out of Black Velvet, however (or if another brand is on sale) then any brand in a plastic bottle will do (2 Jiggers on average, but more so depending on the day, season, etc.)

Instead of fresh lemon, Kelly prefers a bitter lemon soda product. Back in the day, he loved Schweppes Bitter Lemon. No longer available stateside, he now opts for Polar Bitter Lemon (he usually just fills the glass at this point, with ice added when available)

Top it off with some Great Value brand Maraschino Cherries

And a Celebrity brand whole mandarin orange (in light syrup)

That should do the trick - Enjoy!

Cheers,

Ward

I had to look in about 15 liquor stores to find Black Velvet whiskey, and overall I think I searched 30 all over my home state without ever finding any Polar Bitter Lemon. The closest I could find was lemon-lime soda product from Walmart. Same goes for Celebrity brand mandarin oranges, so I eventually settled on Dole.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I guess I'm not surprised Ward Sutton's a cool guy, but it's nice nonetheless.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

XyloJW posted:

I told him about the contest and that we're all big fans of his, and asked how Kelly would make a Whiskey Sour, and linked his old cartoon for clarification. This was his response, in case you guys want to make your own!

I had to look in about 15 liquor stores to find Black Velvet whiskey, and overall I think I searched 30 all over my home state without ever finding any Polar Bitter Lemon. The closest I could find was lemon-lime soda product from Walmart. Same goes for Celebrity brand mandarin oranges, so I eventually settled on Dole.

Black Velvet is the cheapest alcohol by far in any CA store. It's $12 for a 1.75 litre, the only comparable products are the absolute garbage generic "quality" vodka.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

XyloJW posted:

Polar Soda is a MA company and is all over every supermarket in New England (just for the record this is basically the nectar of the gods, although when I was a kid this one was by far my favorite), but it'd make sense to me that it wouldn't be available basically anywhere in the South. It's a regional thing. My girlfriend's family in Jersey loves Vintage seltzer, though, and I can 100% see Kelly using that too. It's a good compromise.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What a fantastic prize. Well done Xylo for thinking that up, and I hope you said thanks to Ward Sutton, that's a really nice response from him too.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

That's... a really clever prize! Good job!

And Ward's input is just the Great Value cherry on the whole whiskey sour of the contest.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

cheetah7071 posted:

He seems to recognize the cartoon's cultural significance. Matt Bors recently got this in the mail:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Ballz posted:

He seems to recognize the cartoon's cultural significance. Matt Bors recently got this in the mail:

I didn't mention it at the time, but this happened probably about a week after I emailed Sutton, so I wonder if I jogged his memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

If that's the case, then I think that means Bors is actually the grand-prize winner of this thread.

• Locked thread