Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Every now and then there's stuff like "what are john cena's coolest matches" or "I never seen this guy wrestle" well I thought maybe here's a thread to say that kind of stuff and ask question or just link some cool matches of a guy for fun. I'm not going to do that though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

where do i start with noted best brawler ever whose matches ive never seen but agree with him being the best brawler ever on reputation alone bruiser brody

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Goons link me some of Cesaro's best indie work please.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

John Cena posted:

where do i start with noted best brawler ever whose matches ive never seen but agree with him being the best brawler ever on reputation alone bruiser brody

Stan Hansen was actually the best brawler ever but here are a few suggestions:

w/Jimmy Snuka vs the Funks, AJPW 12/13/81

vs Dick Murdoch, NJPW 11/22/85 (Part 2) (Part 3)

vs Abdullah the Butcher, WCCW 8/4/86 (Part 2) - yes, it's Abdullah, watch it anyway. They beat the poo poo out of each other and practically start a riot, plus Brody's working face for once so he bumps his rear end off (which is rare to see)

and of course, Brody's favorite of his matches, vs Ric Flair, 2/3 falls for the NWA championship 2/11/83 (it's six parts long, just follow the related videos on the sidebar)

I don't often get around to watching PWG so I've never seen Kyle O'Reilly wrestle, but I want to. What three shows should I buy?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I like indy wrestling, but have kinda fallen off the radar in the past few years. I am super interested in PWG, and am willing to purchase a few shows.

Which DVDs show off the nest of the current crop of indy fellows.

(Doesn't have to be PWG exclusively, but I like all their preview videos)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CapCityGoofBall posted:

I like indy wrestling, but have kinda fallen off the radar in the past few years. I am super interested in PWG, and am willing to purchase a few shows.

Which DVDs show off the nest of the current crop of indy fellows.

(Doesn't have to be PWG exclusively, but I like all their preview videos)

http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/winter_2013.html

Click that link and purchase the following if you have $40 to spare:

- Threemendous III
- All Star Weekend 9 Night 1
- All Star Weekend 9 Night 2
- TEN
- 2013 Battle of Los Angeles Night 2

If you want to spend $40 more add:
- Mystery Vortex
- Death To All But Metal
- Is Your Body Ready
- Failure To Communicate
- Steen Wolf

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

I want to get into DDT, please help me

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Junpei Hyde posted:

This question disappoints me because it doesn't seem like a lot of his work ROH (which I'm most familiar with) is available online. Here's some of my favorite singles work of his from ROH that I can find:

vs. El Generico, Race to the Top. It's El Generico vs. Claudio, it can't be bad.

vs. Bryan Danielson, Northern Navigation. Very fun.

vs. Kota Ibushi, Injustice. Kota Ibushi is dreamy.

That's barely scratching the surface and it's all I can find right now. I'll try and see if I can't upload some of his other matches off of the ROH compilation I have. Also he's had lots of good to great matches in Chikara, but I'm not as familiar with those.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Junpei Hyde posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8LyrtEPPbQ
Claudio vs Brodie Lee (aka Luke Harper)

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Get me started with Masahrio Chono.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I need help with that Michael Elgin guy because I saw him beat Steen a few months ago and I was all "BULLSHIT :mad:"

Actually, Rod Strong would be better. I don't know a twitch of a shrew's dick about the strongster.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Desumaytah posted:

I need help with that Michael Elgin guy because I saw him beat Steen a few months ago and I was all "BULLSHIT :mad:"

Actually, Rod Strong would be better. I don't know a twitch of a shrew's dick about the strongster.

For Elgin watching his match with Davey Richards from Showdown in the Sun Night 2 is the best place to start (last year's Wrestlemania weekend)

for Roderick Strong, watch:

Vs James Gibson (Jamie Noble) at Unforgettable
Vs Bryan Danielson at This Means War and Vendetta

Those are the matches that turned him from "Austin Aries' pudgy buddy" to "THIS GUY IS AWESOME" back in 2005.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

This is one of my favorite matches. Heeeey! Good to see it as I lost the DVD in the last move about three years ago.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

WeaponX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn7cFGXHvqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BuYV2CmhEA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-fkcg-tM98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6YlBUk32YY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtw64XMNHH0

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Where do I start with Chikara?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

WeaponX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8SHpgJqovU

Since golden oldies pete posted a match with Mutoh I felt it appropriate we get the last of the 3 musketeers in here.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

WeaponX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdFtUhirUBI

:3: GADDAMN!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
It's a shame that there's only a hightlight video of the cage match that led to but at least it has Claudio's ridiculously great uppercut from the top of the cage.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

MassRafTer posted:

For Elgin watching his match with Davey Richards from Showdown in the Sun Night 2 is the best place to start (last year's Wrestlemania weekend)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD-8OsGcaxw
that match is really fun

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I stopped watching NJPW when my hero Tanahashi lost the title, are there any classic matches on Youtube that I should catch up on? I know NJPW has had MOTYC matches on basically every PPV.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

triplexpac posted:

I stopped watching NJPW when my hero Tanahashi lost the title, are there any classic matches on Youtube that I should catch up on? I know NJPW has had MOTYC matches on basically every PPV.

every Okada title defense
Ishii/Shibata from the G1 Climax
I've heard the Bucks/Suzuki-Gun(TAKA and Taichi) match was good

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

All of this year's G3 Climax. Every day had at least one MOTY candidate, and some of them (Suzuki vs Ishii, Tanahashi vs Ishii, Ibushi vs Nakamura) are head and shoulders above even that.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

triplexpac posted:

handsome only face fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 19, 2013

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

golden oldies pete posted:

Yeah just looking at this list and I know these are all pretty good matches.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

That is a hell of a selection.

Fix me up with some MEN's Teioh and/or Masakatsu Funaki.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Tonfa posted:

Masakatsu Funaki.

Funaki vs. Nakano (UWF 7/24/89)

Pretty good intro to shootstyle in general. The match where he won the TC from Akiyama was a great five or so minutes.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Tonfa posted:

Fix me up with some MEN's Teioh
This is probably his best non-Mpro work, a surprise entry on many people's MOTY lists that year where he challenges two of TAKA's students for the Big Jpan tag titles. Otherwise he's only been doing card-opening comedy stuff in BJW for the last few years.

If you mean stuff from the 90s just watch every Kaientai tag you can get your hands on.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 20, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Illinois Smith posted:

If you mean stuff from the 90s just watch every Kaientai tag you can get your hands on.

Seriously, any multi-man involving any combination of Teioh, TAKA, Funaki or Togo in the 90s is guaranteed to be absolute gold. There's a 6-man tag with TAKA, Terry Boy (MEN'S Teioh) and Dick Togo at Barely Legal '97 that I remember being SUPER good.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Oh, also here's him wrestling Jun "Crazy Monkey" Kasai while wearing a bunny suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSsA0CpqkUk

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

sk posted:

I want to get into DDT, please help me
Here's something from every end of the DDT spectrum:
Comedy matches with weird stipulations
Epic 5-star dadaist insanity
We will wrestle ANYWHERE

And to top it off some of the straight wrestling matches for their main title that usually cap off the shows:
Ibushi vs Generico
Togo vs Honda
Ibushi vs Sekimoto

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Show me why it's accepted that Sara Del Rey is so good she has to be a trainer or else she'd just kill everyone

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
SDR vs Lacey for the Shimmer title https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjTJXQ39wlM

SDR/Serena Deeb vs Amazing Kong and Daizee Haze https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt16jT29RMA

SDR VS Sumie Sakai https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ3m6KzYw7k

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I've been playing TEW2013 and been pushing Dick Togo pretty heavily. Where should I start for his non-Kaientai DX stuff

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Togo vs. Liger - Liger plays the heel here and it's awesome.

Togo vs. Antonio Honda - One of the best juniors matches of the decade.

rappinrodney.ogg
Apr 24, 2009
What're the best matches featuring Genichiro Tenryu?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Testekill posted:

I've been playing TEW2013 and been pushing Dick Togo pretty heavily. Where should I start for his non-Kaientai DX stuff
The guys at Segunda Caida once did a project called The Complete & Accurate Dick Togo where they reviewed as many of his matches as they could find online. Lots of links to good stuff in there.

In addition to the stuff already mentioned, be sure to check out his retirement match against Gedo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN34PQP0GWk

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

rappinrodney.ogg posted:

What're the best matches featuring Genichiro Tenryu?

My favorite wrestler. You can't go wrong with any of these:

Tenryu & Jumbo vs. Choshu & Yatsu (1/28/86)
Tenryu vs. Hansen (7/27/88)
Tenryu & Kawada vs. Hansen & Gordy (12/16/88)
Tenryu vs. Jumbo (6/5/89)
Tenryu vs. Hashimoto (2/17/94)
Tenryu & Kawada vs. Hansen & Mossman (7/22/00)
Tenryu vs. Kawada (10/18/00)
Tenryu vs. Mutoh (6/8/01)

If you watch just one, watch Tenryu/Jumbo. Nineties Tenryu may actually be the best Tenryu but I haven't seen enough and that Hash match is the only obvious standout off the top of my head.

rappinrodney.ogg
Apr 24, 2009

The Duck of Death posted:

My favorite wrestler. You can't go wrong with any of these:

Tenryu & Jumbo vs. Choshu & Yatsu (1/28/86)
Tenryu vs. Hansen (7/27/88)
Tenryu & Kawada vs. Hansen & Gordy (12/16/88)
Tenryu vs. Jumbo (6/5/89)
Tenryu vs. Hashimoto (2/17/94)
Tenryu & Kawada vs. Hansen & Mossman (7/22/00)
Tenryu vs. Kawada (10/18/00)
Tenryu vs. Mutoh (6/8/01)

If you watch just one, watch Tenryu/Jumbo. Nineties Tenryu may actually be the best Tenryu but I haven't seen enough and that Hash match is the only obvious standout off the top of my head.

Oh hell yes. Thank you so much.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Where do I start with Chikara?

Their first two iPPVs High Noon and Chikarasaurus Rex: How to Hatch a Dinosaur are a good place to start, as is King of Trios 2012 (which itself is three shows, but completely solid outside of the 1-2-3 Kid being a complete mess). Any given King of Trios and Best Of 20XX DVD is worth checking out with solid matches all around. King of Trios 2009 has a ton of top name indy talent, but unfortunately also features an Al Snow match so terrible that HulkaMatt couldn't muster up the strength to watch another Chikara show ever again. Even though that was the first night and he still owned Night 2 and 3!

As for catching up for this season, getting Best of 2013 is the best move. They're doing a really bizarre storyline right now where they only did half a season before the company was "closed down" at the end of their last iPPV in early June. There have been good shows this season, but nothing absolutely must-see. The Best of DVD has just about every match worth checking out.

Definitely avoid the iPPV Under the Hood. Their last show Aniversario: Never Compromise is mostly good, but soured a lot of people due to the weird ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

So one of my favorite things in wrestling is the inevitable spot in big clusterfuck multi man matches where the wrestlers essentially take turns doing big moves/finishers leading to big pops/the finish so please give me cool matches where this happens.

• Locked thread