Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Flameingblack posted:

HUSTLE, Osaka Pro, and DDT Pro are all worth following, even without knowing Japanese. The Japanese indies are all pretty tight-knit and have a multi-company show every New Year's and often have crossover feuds.

They're always just doing insane stuff that always culminates in great matches such as:

Minoru Suzuki vs Mecha Mummy and the rematch
A Bread-Eating Death Match (From Union Pro)
Kota Ibushi vs an inflatable sex toy, possessed by The Undertaker (DDT Pro)
Apartment Complex Pro Wrestling (DDT Pro) (There are many Location: Pro matches from DDT including nature parks, amusement parks, construction sites, and whole cities)
Kuishinbo Kamen vs Kikutaro (Osaka Pro)

You can go to IVP or Rudo Reels and just look up HUSTLE and find a date, start buying DVDs, and enjoy the ride.

Suzuki is the goddamn man, I just wish I knew what he was saying in the pre-match promo during the first Mecha Mummy match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

LvK posted:

HUSTLE is weird because there are plenty of matches that should be downright awful, but end up being watchable at least due to the effort of everyone involved in the entire show from the floor up.

Then there's a lot of matches that are just downright awful. Usually if it has an MMA fighter, it's "okay, not great, but fun as a part of the card!" and if it has a veteran pro wrestler, it's "gently caress. dying here."

edit: actually, I might grab some DVDs. What's a good year to start on DDT? I didn't know it's been around so long!
Start around March 2009 and watch all the way through the end of 2010 you'll get some of the best wrestling matches of that year. Off the top of my head I can think of:
Ibushi/Omega vs Yoshihiko/Danshoku Dino
Kota Ibushi vs Taiji Ishimori
HARASHIMA vs. Kota Ibushi
Daisuke Sekimoto's title run which had two of my favorite matches ever (Sekimoto vs Ibushi / Sekimoto vs Masa Takanashi)

Look into every single DDT/Union/BJW New Year's show (2010 is probably my favorite)
Look into every "Location: Pro Wrestling" show, because those are always fun to watch.

DDT has my favorite faction ever, called the "poo poo Heart ♥ Foundation" which featured the wrestler "Super poo poo Machine" and had shirts that only said "I have a poo poo ♥"

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

If I wanted to get into Al Snow, where should I start?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Smoking Crow posted:

By making sure you cut down your arms and not across.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Smoking Crow posted:

Therapy. I'm not trying to be mean but I can't think of more than 10 Al Snow matches that were memorable. He has some memorable moments, like Head Cheese (Steve Blackman/Al Snow tag-team), J.O.B. Squad (A group of jobbers), the Kennel from Hell match (Which is only good for the Mick Foley & Michael Hayes parody commentary) and the match where he and Bob Holly fought in the river.

Al Snow is part of Hulkamatt's favorite match of all time from a CHIKARA King of Trios tournament.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Al Snow was in Koji Kitao's shoot style tournament, so go track down that tape from an arcane source and then tell me how AL SNOW: MASTER OF MMA turned out

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Smoking Crow posted:

Kennel from Hell.

Then find a new person to be a fan of.

He had a good match getting killed, wait, i can't say that...

He had a good match getting... uh.

Benoit vs. Snow circa 94 or 95 in ECW was a good match. At least I thought so back before, you know, all that child killing stuff. I still have an issue watching the guy.

Snow had some hilarious promos in Smoky Mountain while tagging with Kane.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 13, 2014

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I don't understand why you guys are so down on Snow. The Head gimmick is fantastic, and all his promos are gold. Just to spite you all, Al Snow is now my favorite wrestler of all time.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

I don't understand why you guys are so down on Snow. The Head gimmick is fantastic, and all his promos are gold. Just to spite you all, Al Snow is now my favorite wrestler of all time.
I don't know who you think you're hurting by claiming Al Snow is your favorite wrestler. His gimmick was funny in the 90's and that is really about as far as Al Snow goes.

God Of Paradise posted:

Benoit vs. Snow circa 94 or 95 in ECW was a good match. At least I thought so back before, you know, all that child killing stuff. I still have an issue watching the guy.
So glad you had to bring that up, otherwise i might have forgotten what happened to Chris Benoit!

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

i thought al snow was cool when i was little and i didn't get the head thing (i don't know why i thought al snow was cool when i was little)

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
isn't Al Snow actually supposed to be a pretty good trainer?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

LvK posted:

isn't Al Snow actually supposed to be a pretty good trainer?
He was the trainer for the first three seasons of Tough Enough, and only one out of the six winners actually managed to have a career (John Morrison) so you tell me. I watched his shoot and he came across as a bit of a pompous rear end, citing that Andre vs Hogan was the greatest wrestling match in history, and citing that Steamboat/Savage meant nothing because people didn't go there and pay to see it.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Recommend to me the definitive Shuji Kondo match.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I don't see the need for all the stupid replies in here. I think finding good matches from guys generally considered mediocre or bad workers can be interesting.

Smoking Crow posted:

I think I remember Leif Cassidy vs. Flash Funk from WWF In Your House: It's Time being pretty good. He also had a couple of good matches with Marc Mero, one on RAW and one on a IYH.

edit: this is a good resource. There's quite a few matches people praise there that I can't find online though.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 14, 2014

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
seriously though I'm morbidly curious about Al Snow in shoot style, just not curious enough to track loving Koji Kitao tapes down.

TAKE MY DUMB ADVICE AND DO MY HOBBY FOR ME, DAMNIT.

e: I also remember loving his European Champion run but I'm not really sure how that'll hold up? And I don't actually remember the matches?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Al had a good match with Marty Janetty in SMW at their Suberbowl of Wrestling show in like 94 or 95, and I think he worked with Benoit as well around that time and put in some good performances. But Benoit in 1995 could have probably dragged a sack of potatoes to a three-star match so that's not really saying much.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
after watching far more al snow that i ever intended today i found this was a pretty drat good match imo. their match the next year at wrestlepalooza not so much. snow had some pretty cool and varied offense although he uses that rollup nearfall sequence in like every match.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb9etx_al-snow-vs-shane-douglas-pt-1_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb9g77_al-snow-vs-shane-douglas-pt-2_sport

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

He was the trainer for the first three seasons of Tough Enough, and only one out of the six winners actually managed to have a career (John Morrison) so you tell me.

I don't really blame Al Snow for the health problems of Matt Cappotelli, the horrible rush job of Maven, and the black hole of talent that was Linda Miles, Jackie Gayda, and Nidia

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
i thought nidia and jamie noble were a solid undercard act

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Spermgod posted:

i thought nidia and jamie noble were a solid undercard act

i agree 100% but she never wrestled as a part of it so very little had to do with Al Snow's training

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Spermgod posted:

after watching far more al snow that i ever intended today i found this was a pretty drat good match imo. their match the next year at wrestlepalooza not so much. snow had some pretty cool and varied offense although he uses that rollup nearfall sequence in like every match.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb9etx_al-snow-vs-shane-douglas-pt-1_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb9g77_al-snow-vs-shane-douglas-pt-2_sport

Yeah, I was gonna post that but thought it'd get hecklers vetoed on here for being Shane Douglas. But yeah, good match. I always kinda had a soft spot for that gently caress up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Regarding Memphis: look up McMemphis on YouTube. It's the last great gasp for Memphis and it shows you the Mr.McMahon character a couple years before it showed up on WWE TV. Plus Vince does a good Jim Nabors impression.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Al Snow is Kevin Nash without the height, charisma, success, or respect for his fans.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Under the vegetable posted:

Al Snow is Kevin Nash without the height, charisma, success, or fans.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've seen more great Nash matches too.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Regarding Memphis: look up McMemphis on YouTube. It's the last great gasp for Memphis and it shows you the Mr.McMahon character a couple years before it showed up on WWE TV. Plus Vince does a good Jim Nabors impression.

That whole channel is fantastic btw. The link for those too lazy to google.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Flameingblack posted:

I watched his shoot and he came across as a bit of a pompous rear end, citing that Andre vs Hogan was the greatest wrestling match in history, and citing that Steamboat/Savage meant nothing because people didn't go there and pay to see it.

It bears repeating that by Al Snow's own metric he's a terrible wrestler because who the hell ever paid to see Al Snow?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tell me about PWG, they seem to be the new hotness.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Tell me about PWG, they seem to be the new hotness.
There hasn't been a bad or lackluster PWG show in years and years, you're guaranteed to get great matches every single show. There's hardly any story, the only one being the heel faction consists of The Young Bucks, Adam Cole, and formerly Kevin Steen and they are called Mount Rushmore. The Young Bucks have an on-going feud with every single non-wrestler in the building, including referee Mike Knox (Which is why you'll see him Superkicking them or diving through the ropes on occasion)

I guess you can "Start" by going to their YouTube channel and checking our the teasers for every show.

My personal recommendations are:

Steen Wolf 2011: The main event is El Generico vs Kevin Steen in a ladder match. The semi-main Young Bucks vs Future Shock is one of the first "Superkick Parties" I can remember.
Threemendous III: Amazing Triangle ladder match between Super Smash Bros, Young Bucks, and Future Shock
All Star Weekend 2013, Night 1 (Features amazing Tag-Team wrestling, great outside guests, and a Guerrilla Warfare match between Sammi Callahan and Drake Younger which is basically just a brutal deathmatch)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Yeah, there really isn't a bad starting point for PWG. Just get this year's Battle Of Los Angeles (their annual singles tournament) once it's released in a few weeks.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

This thread is turning into a Foley book with all of the Al Snow jokes and I am all about it.

Though his match with RVD at Hardcore Heaven 1997 is pretty good.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

For PWG I recommend what I always do: buy the next show and if you like it buy more because they're all really good. Some shows are just better than others.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
You can't really go wrong with their tourneys; DDT and BOLA are great.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've really not seen much of his stuff, what are considered Silas Young's best matches?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I've really not seen much of his stuff, what are considered Silas Young's best matches?

I'll tell you this, his match on ROH TV last week against Kendrick was his best ive seen, but I only watch the tv show and dont catch any iPPVs.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I was living abroad and not watching wrestlemans for much of the early and mid aughts. I missed most of the glory that is Big Booty Daddy Scott Steiner. Recommend me some shows, ppvs, matches showcasing this crazy hot mess (stuff like Steiner math would be great, for example).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

laertes22 posted:

I was living abroad and not watching wrestlemans for much of the early and mid aughts. I missed most of the glory that is Big Booty Daddy Scott Steiner. Recommend me some shows, ppvs, matches showcasing this crazy hot mess (stuff like Steiner math would be great, for example).

Watch his Slammiversary 06 match with Samoa Joe and if the video packages don't include promos, find the promos for that too.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm a big Scott Hall/Razor Ramon fan. However, during the 90s, I did not watch WCW. I've seen almost every Razor Ramon match, but I have not seen any of his stuff in WCW. Where's a good point to start with that phase of his career?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm a big Scott Hall/Razor Ramon fan. However, during the 90s, I did not watch WCW. I've seen almost every Razor Ramon match, but I have not seen any of his stuff in WCW. Where's a good point to start with that phase of his career?

Just start from his beginning, and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

where do I find the best of Paul Orndorff?

• Locked thread