Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Forceholy posted:

So their first match at G1 Climax and their later, better rematch yesterday at Power Struggle made me realize I need more ReDRagon and TimeSplitters in my life. What are some of their best matches, respectively?

reDRagon just had a compilation put out by ROH and they are all really fun and it is worth the money

here are my three favorite Time Splitters matches from the last year:

G1 Climax finals show vs reDRagon
Dominion 2014 vs Young Bucks
ROH Global Wars vs. Young Bucks & reDRagon

I also wish I had the DVD from the match they had against two indie guys at one of the local indies in the area, because it was really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Daryl Surat posted:

CMLL's rules aren't like anything used anywhere else.
You make enjoying CMLL sound like rocket science. There's like a handful of rule differences, some of which are in play in lucha-influenced companies like Chikara or DG. The biggest things are:

- If not announced otherwise (lightning matches), everything is 2/3 falls
- Trios have a captain that is announced before the match starts, if you pin him the fall is over, if it's on another guy you need another pin to win the fall
- Touching the floor counts as a tag
- Low blows and piledrivers are an automatic DQ

You do not need Mike Tenay reminding you of this every 20 minutes to "get" lucha. It's still just dumb wrestling. If you want to get into lucha, just watch some loving lucha.

That said, Lucha Underground's super melodramatic telenovela atmosphere is MY JAM and the wrestling parts are solid to great too.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I just signed up for Ring of Honor's membership thing. What is some of the best stuff to watch on their VOD service? I have literally never wathched RoH beyond a few random matches on YouTube

Watch these matches or feuds -

Homicide vs Colt Cabana
Joe vs Punk
Briscoes vs KOW
Punk vs Aries and Punk's title reign.
Danielson's title reign.
Danielson vs. McGuinness
Danielson vs. Morishima
Briscoes vs Steenerico
Age of the Fall vs Brisoces
Aries vs Black
Claudio vs El Generico was always great.
American Wolves vs. WGTT
Davey vs Elgin

And that's around when I stopped.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

God Of Paradise posted:

Aries vs Black

That sucked on toast all around.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

What are Jumbo Tsuruta's best matches before 1989? I'm only familiar with his work against Tenryu and Misawa.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

those William Regal promos got me pumped to see his best matches, what should I be watching?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
his wcw tv title run and everything he did in nxt

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

those William Regal promos got me pumped to see his best matches, what should I be watching?

Also, any time he locked up with Finlay or Benoit. He also had two good matches with Shinya Hashimoto.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
he's been getting some talk in the Lucha Underground thread, so where do I start with Pentagón Jr.?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what is dory funk jr's best match

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Where do I start with the current version NXT? I started watching the most recent episodes, but I'd like to go back and watch some earlier stuff.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Funktastic posted:

Where do I start with the current version NXT? I started watching the most recent episodes, but I'd like to go back and watch some earlier stuff.

I'd say start with the Zayn vs. Cesaro 2 out of 3 falls match and watch last year's recap episode that had Regal vs. Cesaro, as well. Also both Takeover specials but that probably goes without saying.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've watched a handful of matches here and there but is there a good jumping on point for 90's AJPW? Ditch has uploaded so much of it but I never know where to start.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Spermgod posted:

his wcw tv title run and everything he did in nxt

Also, everything he did in FCW. Especially his feud with Dean Ambrose, which is one of the best feuds in recent memory.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

mariooncrack posted:

I've watched a handful of matches here and there but is there a good jumping on point for 90's AJPW? Ditch has uploaded so much of it but I never know where to start.

I'd start at Tiger Mask II/Kawada vs. Yatsu/Fuyuki 5/14/90 and Jumbo/Kabuki/Fuchi vs. Misawa/Kobashi/Taue 5/26/90 and then work you way forward from there. Those two matches (and the angles therein) are the beginning of Misawa's slow ascent to top guy status. Alternatively Kawada/Kobashi/Kikuchi vs. Taue/Fuchi/Ogawa 4/21/93 and Kawada/Taue vs. Kobashi/Kikuchi 5/14/93 are the beginning of the post-Jumbo era.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

mariooncrack posted:

Context and storylines are for stumblebums. Back in the VHS days, we'd start everyone on the 06/09/95 tag match of Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue. That's all the major guys who matter, all wearing distinct color-coded gear, and all you need to know is "they've wrestled each other so many times, everyone knows everyone else's moves and how to counter them...and how to counter the counter."

Once you see them, then you can start searching for combinations of their names, and add in guys like Stan Hansen and Steve Williams while you're at it. You can't go wrong with whatever you get. If you still want more, add "Jun Akiyama" to the names.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Speaking of AJPW, what are Jumbo Tsuruta's best matches in the 80's? The only matches I've seen from him are against Misawa.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Dreamsicle posted:

Speaking of AJPW, what are Jumbo Tsuruta's best matches in the 80's? The only matches I've seen from him are against Misawa.

vs. Tenryu in June '89
vs. Flair in I think '85 but maybe even earlier
w/Tenryu vs. Choshu & Yatsu in '86

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Since falling in love with Sami Zayn and The Shield I've wanted to see more of their indie work. What are the best matches from El Generico, Jon Moxley and Tyler Black?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Since falling in love with Sami Zayn and The Shield I've wanted to see more of their indie work. What are the best matches from El Generico, Jon Moxley and Tyler Black?

All of these are from ROH: Generico vs Steen Fight without Honor from Final Battle 2010 vs Kota Ibushi from some point in 2008 and the Briscoes Street Fight and Ladder War from Death Before Dishonor V and Ladder War respectively. For Tyler Black you'd need to see his match with Nigel from Take No Prisoners, the 4 Way title match from Death Before Dishonor VI and his title match with Aries from 8th Anniversary.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Generico & Colt Cabana v Steen and Corino (I think they did this twice, once as a double chain match which was great)
The aforesaid Generico v Steen (Mask v Career)
Generico v Richards from ROH

For Black I liked:
Black v Aries v Strong from Big Bang for the title.
Black v Richards for the title from DBD (Was a big deal at the time, not sure if it's just a ridiculous kick out spotfest these days)

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Benne posted:

Moxley wasn't really a stand out dude on the indies and mostly wrestled in no name feds and CZW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

Moxley wasn't really a stand out dude on the indies and mostly wrestled in no name feds and CZW.

He was definitely a stand out guy who had a lot of great matches and buzz, just not in places that get a lot of attention here. Some of his stuff in Gabe-Land was really well reviewed.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll get to work on those.

I've seen a few Moxley matches from CZW, and while I don't care for their "hardcore for the sake of hardcore" approach, I definitely appreciate how game Moxley is for them. It's easy to see what WWE saw in him, eagerly killing himself for $50 bucks a night in some dude's barn.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Benne posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll get to work on those.

I've seen a few Moxley matches from CZW, and while I don't care for their "hardcore for the sake of hardcore" approach, I definitely appreciate how game Moxley is for them. It's easy to see what WWE saw in him, eagerly killing himself for $50 bucks a night in some dude's barn.

I believe Evolve and Dragon Gate USA are the non-death matchy matches he did that MRT is talking bout. not sure who he faced then though.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

I believe Evolve and Dragon Gate USA are the non-death matchy matches he did that MRT is talking bout. not sure who he faced then though.

He had a match with Bryan Danielson at DGUSA. I haven't seen it though.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
For Generico, this match made me a fan of his for life - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XesuznnHaA

Also from Chikara, Generico vs. 1-2-3 Kid from King of Trios 2011 was a terrific match.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Benne posted:

El Generico became who he is the way all true greats of modern wrestling did: getting the goddamned gently caress beaten out of him by Super Dragon in PWG and living to tell the tale. I know this because I said it on Twitter once I heard he got signed to NXT and he RT/fave'd it. One such beating is currently in the rotation of my PSP-TV channel this week: the 04/09/2006 bout between Super Dragon & Davey Richards vs El Generico & Quicksilver. His ability to avoid paralysis due to the Curb Stomps and various Psycho Driver variants are what enabled Generico to be in the last good Chikara match linked by Perry.

I therefore recommend "The Many Adventures of El Generico" comp that is currently part of PWG's winter sale (effectively making it $5 for a 2-disc set), as well as the ROH El Generico sets. Be sure to watch, at minimum, the Kevin Steen vs El Generico Ladder War match from ROH prior to their upcoming NXT matchups.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
These two, in addition to every Kevin Steen vs El Generico match are must-watch:

El Generico vs Nick Jackson vs Jigsaw vs Kota Ibushi (Chikara King of Trios 2009)
El Generico vs the 1-2-3 Kid (Chikara King of Trios 2011)

Look out for every Steen/Generico vs Briscoe Bros match too.

There's a list of Generico's top-rated matches here

And have some old school El Generico vs Delirious comedy

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Where would I start with Antonio Inoki?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

The match I hear the most about these days is Inoki vs. Billy Robinson.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
A few questions:

-I'm watching NJPW and Dragon Gate pretty religiously lately, and casually following NOAH. As major Japanese promotions go, what else is worth checking out and where do I start?

-Somewhat related: Is current AJPW worth following, and is that something I should just jump right into or is there a good fairly recent place to start?

-I missed a lot of Richochet pre-Lucha Underground, aside from some sporadic DG matches. What's the best place to start with him?

\/\/\/Gracias. :hfive:

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 17, 2015

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

A few questions:

-I'm watching NJPW and Dragon Gate pretty religiously lately, and casually following NOAH. As major Japanese promotions go, what else is worth checking out and where do I start?

Hi, friend, I'm in exactly the same boat. I watch everything from njpw and dg cards, but only bother with title matches in noah, bjw, and ddt. I find that anything great out of DDT or BJW usually gets talked about so I'll watch the stuff that gets buzz but otherwise not really. If you want to watch it all anyway Real Hero uploads basically everything that happens in Japan to his dailymotion channel. http://www.dailymotion.com/JAHMAL1111

quote:

-Somewhat related: Is current AJPW worth following, and is that something I should just jump right into or is there a good fairly recent place to start?
No

quote:

-I missed a lot of Richochet pre-Lucha Underground, aside from some sporadic DG matches. What's the best place to start with him?
Ricochet kills it on every single PWG or EVOLVE card. The Battle of Los Angeles 2014 is a very good place to see a handful of great Ricochet matches.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 17, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
AJPW stuff that involves one or both of Akiyama and Miyahara is worth watching.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
i've admittedly never watched him do worked wrestling but i hear akebono is actually a decent worker now? is this true at all

edit: oh no that's right i have seen the big show/akebono "sumo" match so that's my baseline for what akebono's working ability is. oh, and if anyone was wondering, yes, people who actually watch sumo think that was a dogshit waste of time too

Nerokerubina fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 17, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Nerokerubina posted:

i've admittedly never watched him do worked wrestling but i hear akebono is actually a decent worker now? is this true at all

edit: oh no that's right i have seen the big show/akebono "sumo" match so that's my baseline for what akebono's working ability is. oh, and if anyone was wondering, yes, people who actually watch sumo think that was a dogshit waste of time too

He had good matches with Miyahara and Shiozaki last year then he got sick

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
So given the tragic news and my own ignorance of everything not in the WWE right now where should I start with El Hijo Del Perro Aguayo?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Doesn't seem like much of his stuff other than recent AAA is available online (there's a dearth of older lucha stuff online in general) but these are great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jls_cS8GRQY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc0Mhe2iLoM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUFkQslcmvY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH3yFHZzZCA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3RY850it_w

last one starts at 57:15

there's a lot of trios stuff too if you search 'perros del mal', i'll probably spend some time watching those today

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 21, 2015

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Uh... * ahem * AJPW, NOAH, King's Road and Ark Style.

I... never really got into puro until people started showing me strong style and lucharesu. I know the basic notes to hit about the AJPW guys and know a pretty good amount about the really big names, but I haven't actually... /watched/ so much of it.

Stuff that's on, say, IVPvideos but not uploaded to the internet is fair game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Speaking of strong style...

Smoking Crow posted:

Fuuuck. I missed this. If you're still reading and curious, it's hard to go wrong with:
-Vs. Andre in '74 or '77. '74 in particular is sweet.
-Vs. Vader in '96
-With Seiji Sakaguchi vs. Karl Gotch and Lou Thesz
-Vs. Tatsumi Fujinami in '85
-vs. Stan Hansen in 1980 (sorry forgot which one was which)
-vs. Backlund in '78

also, if you're interested in any of his proto shoot-style stuff, it's hard to go wrong with his series against Willem Ruska, and I enjoyed the "Left Hook" Dayton match. Individual dates elude me, but at least Lefthook Dayton only went against Inoki one time.

edit: oops poo poo that was meant to be an edit

• Locked thread