Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

So one of my favorite things in wrestling is the inevitable spot in big clusterfuck multi man matches where the wrestlers essentially take turns doing big moves/finishers leading to big pops/the finish so please give me cool matches where this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdI1BkfKRIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

El Gallinero Gros posted:

SDR vs Lacey for the Shimmer title https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjTJXQ39wlM

SDR/Serena Deeb vs Amazing Kong and Daizee Haze https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt16jT29RMA

SDR VS Sumie Sakai https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ3m6KzYw7k

Thanks for these.

Along the same line, where should I start with SHIMMER? My wife just got hooked on wrestling a few months ago and she loved the quoted matches. I want to get her some good DVDs for XMas. I'm thinking a couple shimmer ones and the joshimania shows from Chikara. Anything else I should consider? She's quickly become a fan of Daizee Haze

And if anyone wants to link more good online matches that'd be :coal:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
SDR vs Hamada is my favorite SHIMMER match ever, don't think it's online though. It's on SHIMMER 28.

The problem with small indy promotions in general is that you won't find a whole lot of stuff on streaming sites. Most of them are pretty vigilant about getting their material taken down since DVD sales make up pretty much all of their income. (Gabe put up the main event of the first SHIMMER show last week because of the company's anniversary. Daizee's in it.)

If you're just looking for good women's wrestling in general there's a shitload of classic joshi matches online for your wife's enjoyment. 80s / 90s joshi is where it's at for quality women's wrestling.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 20, 2013

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Static Rook posted:

Thanks for these.

Along the same line, where should I start with SHIMMER? My wife just got hooked on wrestling a few months ago and she loved the quoted matches. I want to get her some good DVDs for XMas. I'm thinking a couple shimmer ones and the joshimania shows from Chikara. Anything else I should consider? She's quickly become a fan of Daizee Haze

Sara Del Rey vs Toshie Uematsu from CHIKARA "Creatures From The Tar Swamp"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZEuCW0Gcgk

Sara Del Rey and Daizee Haze vs Awesome Kong and Raisha Saeed (Cheerleader Melissa) from CHIKARA "Chikarasaurus Rex: King of Show" (with the frankly bizarre sight of Haze hitting a German suplex on Kong)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXqATN1wYpc

Something a bit less well known, Britani Knight (now NXT's Paige) vs Jenny Sjodin. One of my favourite women's matches I've seen live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay2ivH6QDAU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Illinois Smith posted:

If you're just looking for good women's wrestling in general there's a shitload of classic joshi matches online for your wife's enjoyment. 80s / 90s joshi is where it's at for quality women's wrestling.

For that I can try to give a bit of a primer of good (imo) matches. So basically a lot of matches.

1980s
Jaguar Yokota vs. Lioness Asuka - 8/22/85 - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
Chigusa Nagayo vs. Devil Masami - 8/22/85
Chigusa Nagayo vs. Dump Matsumoto - 8/28/85 - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
Crush Gals vs. Jumping Bomb Angels, 2/3 Falls - 3/20/86 - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
Yumi Ogura vs. Kazue Nagahori - 3/20/86 - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

1990s
Akira Hokuto, Etsuko Mita & Mima Shimoda vs. Harley Saito, Eagle Sawai & Miki Handa - AJW, 1/24/93
Akira Hokuto vs. Shinobu Kandori - AJW, 4/2/93
Akira Hokuto vs. Bull Nakano - AJW, 7/20/92
Kyoko Inoue vs. Manami Toyota - AJW, 5/7/95
Double Inoue vs. Cuty Suzuki & Mayumi Ozaki - AJW, 4/2/93
Manami Toyota & Toshiyo Yamada vs. Mayumi Ozaki & Dynamite Kansai - AJW, 4/11/93
Bull Nakano vs. Devil Masami - JWP, 4/18/93
Aja Kong, Kyoko Inoue, Takako Inoue & Sakie Hasegawa vs. Dynamite Kansai, Mayumi Ozaki, Cuty Suzuki & Hikari Fukuoka - JWP, 7/31/93
Shinobu Kandori vs. Kyoko Inoue - AJW, 8/25/93
Manami Toyota vs. Aja Kong - AJW, 11/20/94
Mayumi Ozaki vs. Chigusa Nagayo - JWP, 5/22/95
LCO vs. Tomoko Watanabe & Kumiko Maekawa, 2/3 falls - AJW, 6/18/97
LCO vs. Ayako Hamada & AKINO - ARSION, 12/11/99
LCO vs. Kaoru Ito & Tomoko Watanabe, cage match - AJW, 9/21/97 Part 1, Part 2
LCO & Kumiko Maekawa vs. Kaoru Ito & NANA*MOMO, cage match - AJW, 11/23/00 (yeah it's 2000 but whatever)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I have to second the LCO love. They were just a brutal yet fantastic tag team.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
That is awesome stuff. Thanks everybody! :toot:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm serious when I say Zeb Colter is the best manager in the world right now (even above Paul Heyman, who I think is starting to Flanderize), so if someone could show me some great Dutch Mantell promos from pre-Zeb days, it'd be awesome.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dutch really did serve in Vietnam, btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnaqRT7viyY

Great promo segment challenging Lawler to Loser Leaves Town https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNDE7MLvdzw

What makes Mantell great is he just oozes confidence. He knows what he's gonna say, and how to get there. It's not always about catchphrases.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tharizdun posted:

I'm serious when I say Zeb Colter is the best manager in the world right now (even above Paul Heyman, who I think is starting to Flanderize), so if someone could show me some great Dutch Mantell promos from pre-Zeb days, it'd be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rGGtHdu8Z8

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

What makes Mantell great is he just oozes confidence. He knows what he's gonna say, and how to get there. It's not always about catchphrases.

This is, to me, what makes him (and by extension others) such a good promo. You BELIEVE what he says. He doesn't do it pitch-perfect, he doesn't include catchphrases, so it sounds like this is a guy just talking about the subject at hand, not a guy reading a script.

Basically, Dutch Mantell loving rules and every person given mic time could learn from him.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Static Rook posted:

Thanks for these.

I haven't kept up with Shimmer in ages, but my first DVDs were Shimmer 11 and 12, which featured the tournament for the first Shimmer champ. Other than that all I kept up with was the Knight Dynasty feud which was pretty rad.

So I might as well ask, I'm looking to get into NJPW, specifically Prince Devitt and the Bullet Club stuff. Good places to start there, anyone?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Kifisonfire posted:

I haven't kept up with Shimmer in ages, but my first DVDs were Shimmer 11 and 12, which featured the tournament for the first Shimmer champ. Other than that all I kept up with was the Knight Dynasty feud which was pretty rad.

So I might as well ask, I'm looking to get into NJPW, specifically Prince Devitt and the Bullet Club stuff. Good places to start there, anyone?

All their more recent shows should be on youtube in whole or in part, and you really don't need to go back farther than Invasion Attack from Mania weekend, where Devitt turned on his tag partner and formed the Bullet Club. I'd try to see what you can find of this year's Best Of The Super Juniors tournament, where he won for the second time, beating Alex Shelley in the finals. I'd also look for their Kizuna Road event where he challenged Okada for the title, and his matches with Tanahashi at Destruction and Dominion. In terms of the Bullet Club as a whole, you'll probably want to watch Anderson/Okada from Power Struggle and Young Bucks(Yes, they're Bullet Club)/Suzuki-Gun from Power Struggle as well. They also have 2 teams in the World Tag League this year, Devitt/Fale and Anderson/Luke Gallows.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Kifisonfire posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7wK9dlA62E Devitt vs Tanahashi, 3/3/2013. Devitt starts to be a dick.

Devitt vs Shelley 4/5/2013

The actual turn happens at Invasion Attack on 4/7/2013, but I couldn't find any video of it online, unfortunately.

Devitt & Fale vs. Taguchi & Captain New Japan from Wrestling Dontaku 5/7/2013. Devitt goes full heel. Later in the same PPV you have Tanahashi vs Anderson at 47 minutes in or you can just skip to Part 4 to see the formation of Bullet Club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Lrh3C-2Ek&t=3202s Devitt goes to the Best of Super Jr finals 6/9/2013 (This same Youtube account has all of the BOSJ if you want to watch more of the matches, which you DO!). After his match, Devitt states he wants to hold both the Jr. and heavyweight titles.

Devitt vs Tanahashi at Dominion 6/22/2013. There's also a Bullet Club multi-man tag earlier in the show.

Devitt vs Gedo from Kizuna Road 7/5/2013.

Devitt vs Okada at Kizuna Road Akita 7/20/2013.

Then you have the G1 Climax matches in August that I'm too lazy to hunt down, but the whole tournament is here in parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa1nax6jbdE&t=518s]Devitt vs Tanahashi Lumberjack Match at Destruction 9/29/2013 (part 10 of the show should be in the sidebar)

And now I guess he's feuding with Makabe and Ibushi.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Dutch/Zeb had some great matches, too.

Dutch Mantell vs. Jerry Lawler (Barbed Wire Match, Memphis 3/29/82)

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I watched professional wrestling only barely at around 2000-2001 before my parents forbade it due to it being too violent. The only wrestlers I remember are The Rock, Rikishi and Kane. I then learned that Rikishi's sons now played as 'The Usos'. Can someone recommend me good matches starring them?

Also, the very first NJPW match I've seen is the Tomohiro Ishii vs. Katsuyori Shibata on G1 Climax Day 4, which is apparently a very good match, according to the MOTY thread. What other Ishii matches from before 2013 is also great?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

toanoradian posted:

I watched professional wrestling only barely at around 2000-2001 before my parents forbade it due to it being too violent. The only wrestlers I remember are The Rock, Rikishi and Kane. I then learned that Rikishi's sons now played as 'The Usos'. Can someone recommend me good matches starring them?

The MITB preshow match against the Shield from this year

that's about it really

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Also, the very first NJPW match I've seen is the Tomohiro Ishii vs. Katsuyori Shibata on G1 Climax Day 4, which is apparently a very good match, according to the MOTY thread. What other Ishii matches from before 2013 is also great?

Both Masato Tanaka matches (one 2012, the other 2013) are excellent. So are both Tanahashi matches, especially the first, also from the G1.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

toanoradian posted:

What other Ishii matches from before 2013 is also great?
Off the top of my head:

Ishii vs Sekimoto
Ishii vs Inoue (Falls Count Anywhere)
Ishii vs Tiger Mask (hair vs mask)
Ishii vs Nagata

2013 was definitely his breakout year but he's been wrestling since the mid-90s. I've been meaning to check out more of his stuff.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 22, 2013

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I Before E posted:

The MITB preshow match against the Shield from this year

that's about it really

They had a pretty good match on Main Event a few weeks ago against Hunico and Camacho and their stuff the last few months in general has been pretty good.

There's also the really awesome six man from Superstars a few years back: Tyson Kidd, Justin Gabriel & Heath Slater vs. Trent Barretta & The Usos.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

toanoradian posted:

The triple threat tag team match from Hell in a Cell this year was really fun.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

The triple threat tag team match from Hell in a Cell this year was really fun.

I had forgotten all about that, even though it was one of the best matches on the show.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Duck of Death posted:

Both Masato Tanaka matches (one 2012, the other 2013) are excellent. So are both Tanahashi matches, especially the first, also from the G1.

I will also say his match at One Night Stand 2005 vs Mike Awesome was goddamn amazing. Those two guys are dynamite together. Although honestly almost every match on that card was amazing, with only Guerrero/Benoit being subpar.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Tharizdun posted:

I will also say his match at One Night Stand 2005 vs Mike Awesome was goddamn amazing. Those two guys are dynamite together. Although honestly almost every match on that card was amazing, with only Guerrero/Benoit being subpar.

I don't even know if I'd call that the best Tanaka/Awesome match, that's how good they were together.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

I don't even know if I'd call that the best Tanaka/Awesome match, that's how good they are together.

I believe their Heatwave match was better. The match where Tanaka beats Awesome for the ECW title is pretty good, too.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 22, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tharizdun posted:

Just watch it without sound. Joey Styles is really really bad in it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I believe their Heatwave match was better. The match where Tanaka beats Awesome for the ECW title is pretty good, too.

It boggles my mind that Masato Tanaka isn't retired or drooling into a tray at this point in his life; by all medical logic, he's had at least one serious concussion.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

CombineThresher posted:

It boggles my mind that Masato Tanaka isn't retired or drooling into a tray at this point in his life; by all medical logic, he's had at least one serious concussion.

I think he must be from the same secret Japanese government project that produced Great Sasuke and Jun Kasai.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

Tanaka is the only wrestler who does a no sell of a spot and rather than annoying me, it just impresses me: He does a spot where Awesome or whoever hits him with an unprotected chairshot, and he gets right back up (and usually takes another chairshot). It's a reckless, stupid spot, but I can't help but think it's still loving amazing.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

I think he must be from the same secret Japanese government project that produced Great Sasuke and Jun Kasai.

Japanese wrestlers in general. Two years into her career Akira Hokuto broke her neck taking a tombstone from the top rope (Japan...) and finished the match holding her head in her hand the entire third fall. She wrestled another 15 years.

It was a pretty good match too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Does anyone have any recommendations for Hashimoto? The only match I've seen was when he faced Steve Corino for some NWA Anniversary show in the late 90's or early 2000's.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Hash vs Vader (not their best match but I can't find the one I was looking for on Youtube.)
Hash vs Choshu
Hash & Saito vs Scott Hall & Punisher Dice Morgan (Undertaker)
Hash vs Regal
Hash vs Tenryu
Hash vs Hase

Ditch posted:

One of the, if not the finest IWGP matches ever. Hashimoto's strikes are brutal, Hase's suplexes are beautiful, there's good matwork, there's the fact that Hase only got this one title shot in his career, and then there's the finish. Oh, the finish.
Hash vs Takada
Hash vs Chono
Hash vs Masato Tanaka

I could go on. Hash was the boss.

He also held the IWGP title for a combined three years during the 90s so there's plenty more big title matches where most of the above came from.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 23, 2013

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

That Hash/Choshu link is actually Hash/Takada. I assume this is the one you meant:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xosgaw_hashimoto-vs-choshu-02-08-96_sport

Everyone should watch it. The quintessential "strong style" match with a very famous finish.

Also check out Hashimoto/Kawada from 2004. Harrowing stuff, MOTDC.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

So one of my favorite things in wrestling is the inevitable spot in big clusterfuck multi man matches where the wrestlers essentially take turns doing big moves/finishers leading to big pops/the finish so please give me cool matches where this happens.

I haven't seen this match in a long time but I think this is what you're looking for:
Kaientai DX vs Hamada, Delfin, Tiger Mask IV, Naniwa & Yakushiji - Michinoku Pro 10/10/1996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNqkwY4pP2Q

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Which Flyin' Brian Pillman matches should I watch?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

Which Flyin' Brian Pillman matches should I watch?

His match with Liger from Superbrawl II is one of his best, unfortunately the English version isn't online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_2LghI1WEk

There is also their Nitro match which isn't as good, but it's still good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAoPVGt6r1A

Pillman vs Z Man was also really good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-42kv2mmDoE

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

His match with Liger from Superbrawl II is one of his best, unfortunately the English version isn't online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_2LghI1WEk

There is also their Nitro match which isn't as good, but it's still good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAoPVGt6r1A

Pillman vs Z Man was also really good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-42kv2mmDoE

I found a copy of the Superbrawl II match: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz7gm6_09-92-02-29-jushin-liger-vs-brian-pillman-superbrawl-ii_sport?search_algo=2

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm falling in love with AWA, especially anything with Bockwinkel. Is there a way to actually go through its chronology rather than just digging up random matches? I'd love to go through it week by week like we do with Tuesday Nitro, but I'm sure it's not all available.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm falling in love with AWA, especially anything with Bockwinkel. Is there a way to actually go through its chronology rather than just digging up random matches? I'd love to go through it week by week like we do with Tuesday Nitro, but I'm sure it's not all available.

Most of that old stuff is lost, and what you'll find on youtube is mostly 80s stuff when the promotion was on the decline. I'm going to try to do a Bockwinkel night the next time I have an odd number of Nitros, but even being a big fan it's going to be hard to find new stuff. The glory days are sorely represented, and most of the rare stuff I have is on VHS. (Not that much, six or seven VHSes a friend with a Meltzer level collection made me years ago.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Most of that old stuff is lost, and what you'll find on youtube is mostly 80s stuff when the promotion was on the decline. I'm going to try to do a Bockwinkel night the next time I have an odd number of Nitros, but even being a big fan it's going to be hard to find new stuff. The glory days are sorely represented, and most of the rare stuff I have is on VHS. (Not that much, six or seven VHSes a friend with a Meltzer level collection made me years ago.)

Is the AWA documentary the WWE put out any good? Amazon has it on sale for 5 bucks.

• Locked thread