Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

Has there ever been a more overrated NPS than Minsc?

Cullen from the Dragon Age series. I don't even know why they kept adding him after game one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gooch181 posted:

Lol as soon as we finished traveling to the Gnoll hideout Minsc has a hardon for, he accuses me of not being down for his mission and attacked the party.

I had the exact same thing happen to me

loving Minsc we're right there

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

pentyne posted:

Cullen from the Dragon Age series. I don't even know why they kept adding him after game one.

Yes you do

Horney. The motivation for Bioware is always horney.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Homicidal frustration was always one of the things I found bewildering and funny in BG1 and 2.

I remember encountering Keldorn in the sewers and he immediately starts grilling me about who I am and what I'm doing down there. I decided I really didn't like this guy's 'tude, so I just refused to answer his questions until he went berserk and attacked the party. His armor and sword didn't even sell for that much. :rip:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

rope kid posted:

Homicidal frustration was always one of the things I found bewildering and funny in BG1 and 2.

I remember encountering Keldorn in the sewers and he immediately starts grilling me about who I am and what I'm doing down there. I decided I really didn't like this guy's 'tude, so I just refused to answer his questions until he went berserk and attacked the party. His armor and sword didn't even sell for that much. :rip:

Face it, you're actually Neutral Evil

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Self Defense is a completely lawful response to a stranger trying to murder you in a sewer, especially a self proclaimed "holy warrior"

DING Reputation -8

....wtf?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

A lot of the NPCs in Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 are absurd assholes. It's quite refreshing really.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

mitochondritom posted:

A lot of the NPCs in Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 are absurd assholes. It's quite refreshing really.

That's the one thing that gets me when people are worried about Baldur's Gate 3 because Larian has poor writing (which is not wrong although I would argue it applies mostly to the first D:OS). Have they played BG 1 and 2? 80-90% of the dialogue is just uninspired pulp fantasy fare, if not outright catchphrases.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Chairchucker posted:

Has there ever been a more overrated NPS than Minsc?

I remember one time I told people about how Minsc (BG2 especially) was overrated. IMO mostly because once his shtick wears off there's really not that much to him and how it'll probably prevent people from putting Edwin in their party since Minsc hates his guts.

All I got was a hefty bunch of downvotes and dozens of people quoting Minsc one-liners at me, thereby proving my point in a way.

Phlegmish posted:

Have they played BG 1 and 2? 80-90% of the dialogue is just uninspired pulp fantasy fare, if not outright catchphrases.

This is also why (some of the) criticism on Siege of Dragonspear always puzzled me.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 27, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
A lot of the "writing" in BG2 is carried by some good VAs (Irenicus, mostly), fantastic music and beautiful background. All those things together make up for the lacklustre dialogue in many parts of the game

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

rocketrobot posted:

If you get a member of a duo permakilled (their portrait disappears when that happens), then their partner won't leave. Giving Khalid a suicide mission seems appropriate.

If you want something less drastic, walk into a pub with both members, send one to the far side of the room, boot them from the party and then flee the area before they can chase you down to drag their buddy away.

Also Khaleid is great. Him, Jaheira, Viconia, Minsc, and Imoen were the mainstays in my party.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

First time I hear anyone criticize BG’s dialogue

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's not even really criticism, it just kind of glides off the eyes, there's not much to say about it. I guess that would make it better than the first D:OS, where a lot of the dialogue is actively annoying.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I really have to disagree, I think it does a great job injecting flavour and personality into what has become an otherwise generic fantasy setting. Even the randomized one-liners you get the out of commoners are entertaining

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Khalid's great though. Enough strength (15) to wear full plate, 16 dex, 17 con? I would kill for those stats in pen & paper.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Suspicious posted:

Khalid's great though. Enough strength (15) to wear full plate, 16 dex, 17 con? I would kill for those stats in pen & paper.

He's fine, I just wish his morale didn't break so often.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
More funny dialogues:

Probably my favorites:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I like Minsc as much as the next person, but after you hear, "Butt kicking for goodness!" for 45,325,094th time, it begins to wear on you.

Statwise, I also don't care for Minsc, as he's kind of 'squishy' in regards to melee combat (he gets hit a lot more than it seems like he should), and his low INT makes him vulnerable to mind flayers. In my playthrough of BG2, I took Keldorn over Minsc, as Keldorn not only gets access to the paladin weapons, but the Inquisitor kit makes him more effective against mages.

That said, Minsc's weapon proficiencies, coupled with his preferred enemy make him suited to wielding the Mace of Disruption against vampires in BG2

Angry Lobster posted:

A lot of the "writing" in BG2 is carried by some good VAs (Irenicus, mostly), fantastic music and beautiful background. All those things together make up for the lacklustre dialogue in many parts of the game

That's the thing, though: BG1 was backed by an excellent voice cast. Dee Bradley Baker, Michael Bell, Jeff Bennett, Earl Boen, JIm Cummings, Bill Farmer, Melissa Disney , Michael Gough, Grey Delisle, Jennifer Hale, Jason Marsden, Lani Minella, Rob Paulsen, Kevin Michael Richardson, Neil Ross, Frank Welker; You've got a cast made up of voice actors notable for doing voices for cartoons around that time.

You can criticize the writing/characterization for NPCs in BG1 as being shallow, but the campy, over-the-top performances I think is what makes the game memorable: Xan's mopey, dreary musings, Imoen's chipper attitude, Dynaheir's lofty, old-English demeanor, etc.

It isn't just limited to the party members either. A lot of the lines for townsfolk/merchants stick with you as well, like Kelddath's, "Don't touch me! I'm super-important!", or Thalantyr's "Why do I like in such a pissant town?", or Winthrop's, "My 'otel's clean as elven arse!" One of the things I found going through BG1 again is that the game has a vein of flippant, tongue-in-cheek humor running throughout. One of the NPCs you find near Lonely Peaks (Sarhedra, I think?) recognizes you as adventures, and gives you a quest to kill some Ogres to the south, but the dialog with her kind of pokes fun of the whole quest-giving aspect (I have to see if I can find the conversation somewhere). There's also that one NPC you meet where you can pick the dialog where you go on the tirade about quests. Couple that with the party members making jokes and references after you click on them so many times, BG1 doesn't take itself too seriously.

BG2 carried some of that over (you have the occasional goofy encounter like Nevin and Uncle Lester in the graveyard, and my personal favorite, the Spectator Beholder guarding the treasure chest), but the overall tone is a lot more serious. Still, it's supported by a strong voice cast, with a lot the BG1 cast returning, along with some new people (Tress MacNeille, Cam Clarke, Charlie Adler, Maurice LeMarche, Kath Soucie).

One of the big issue I think the EE characters and Siege of Dragonspear suffer from is not having that voice cast. Granted, a lot of the returning characters are voiced by the people who did them originally, but the rest of the cast falls a little flat; they aren't bad, but the lines don't really stick with you as well. One of the things I disliked about SoD right out the gate was talking to the Flaming Fist guards, who all say, "We're more than just mercenaries", which isn't as fun as base BG1, where they scream, "AH SERVE THE FLAMIN' FIST" and "I AM THE LAW!". The overall tone in Siege of Dragonspear is also more serious than BG1. There are still goofy asides, and they're amusing (like the chicken in the well easter egg, or the svirfneblin merchant and his myconid assistant), but they don't quite 'click' with the stuff in the original games.

I think one big issue with the EE characters is that because of how they did the dialog recordings, the quality is different that from the original game's, so they stick out like a sore thumb because of it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 27, 2020

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Angry Lobster posted:

Better part of valor!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Also Minsc's rage ability is useless because he's too squishy to send anywhere on his own but if you send anyone with him he'll attack them.

Honestly though some of the best BG1 NPCs are Xzar/Montaron and Khalid/Jaheira. Jaheira is a great tank, Khalid is good with the bow, Monty is the best thief in the game (because by the time you get Coran he's usually level 4/5 ish and has wasted a bunch of his thief skill points), and Xzar's got the best stats of any mage. Edwin is a better mage in every way but I feel like he's an unfair comparison because Edwin is also a better than the PC.

Angry Lobster posted:

He actually has the same morale as Kagain, Garrick, Eldoth and Quayle. I think he only stands out as a coward because morale failure is relatively rare but people use Khalid a lot more than any of those other NPCs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

That's the one thing that gets me when people are worried about Baldur's Gate 3 because Larian has poor writing (which is not wrong although I would argue it applies mostly to the first D:OS). Have they played BG 1 and 2? 80-90% of the dialogue is just uninspired pulp fantasy fare, if not outright catchphrases.

But who could forget the compelling speeches delivered from characters such as Anomen? Or the totally better than Larian's monkey-cheese writing Jen Jensen's stream of hilarity! Turnips!

BG was good, but the pedestal some people place it on is ridiculous. Though it's usually done by people who've never played any other game at all.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

My character was Chaotic Evil, but the fact remains that he attacked me. :gibs:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
A paladin acted like a paladin?!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

steinrokkan posted:

Or the totally better than Larian's monkey-cheese writing Jen Jensen's stream of hilarity! Turnips!

Jan Jansen's stories were good, actually.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Suspicious posted:

A paladin acted like a paladin?!
This seems like a silly hill to die on. A bunch of BG1 and 2 companions react to differences of opinion by engaging in Suicide by Bhaalspawn. I don't think it's interesting from a mechanical or story perspective. They just freak out, go aggro, and get killed by the rest of the party. In the case of Keldorn, it's because you won't answer his questions. Even if it were because of alignment (it's not, AFAIK), it's a case of Lawful Stupid, which is so-called for good reason. In the case of Minsc, it's because you take too long to get to Dynaheir. Other characters' reasons usually aren't much better.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Twas once a heavily brain damaged orc named Ano. Ano was trudging through the forest one day, looking for bull droppings with which he could stuff his mattress, when he happened across a remarkable scene. A brave and noble knight, Jen the Brilliant by name, fought with an evil giant. Ano watched as Jen slew the giant.
Then the knight had ridden off to save several small children from a wicked witch, also known as a noblewoman, who was attempting to poison the poor dears. Regardless, Ano promptly cut off the head of the fallen giant and ran home to the Dung Orc village and claimed that he had killed the monster.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

rope kid posted:

This seems like a silly hill to die on. A bunch of BG1 and 2 companions react to differences of opinion by engaging in Suicide by Bhaalspawn. I don't think it's interesting from a mechanical or story perspective. They just freak out, go aggro, and get killed by the rest of the party. In the case of Keldorn, it's because you won't answer his questions. Even if it were because of alignment (it's not, AFAIK), it's a case of Lawful Stupid, which is so-called for good reason. In the case of Minsc, it's because you take too long to get to Dynaheir. Other characters' reasons usually aren't much better.

This seems to me, a casual unwashed player, to be another side-effect of the rather lackluster implementation of the alignment / 'morality' system in the BG series. That is to say, playing 'evil' doesn't really offer much novelty other than kicking puppies for the sake of kicking puppies, and usually getting less loot for your troubles, so shoe-horning the player into certain kinds of NPC friends at least attempts to convey some flavor of good vs. evil into the gameplay experience. The banters from Edwin and Korgan for example are fairly straightforward "let's kill these mooks for their sweet sweet loots" which is supposedly evil (although this tends to be the main motivation for playing the game to be begin with...), and both BG games have stupid good NPCs who won't shut the gently caress up about valor or honor, etc. These dudes and dudettes also tend to aggro every NPC friend with the evil sticker on, so there you go.

This is a conversation that happens in this thread every so often, but why not: The obvious comparisons for the good v. evil implementation in contemporary(-ish) games are the Fallouts (1 + 2) and PS: Torment. Torment's story is explicitly about the player character and what kind of person they are (and you can definitely be a really evil son of a bitch) and were previous times around, and indeed even the NPC friends are all 'just' some sort of morality plays for the player to engage with, both within the story arc of the game and as memories of what the other incarnations were up to. BG1's plot is about discovering the player character is a god-child, and also that there's a huge plot to gavriloprinzp the entire Sword Coast - Amn region, by your half-brother as it turns out. There could be room here to explore either the player 'succumbing' to be a murderous bastard for the sake of their daddy (Sarevok 2.0?), or conversely grappling with the 'demands' of their good alignment in the face of their blood heritage, but I guess the technical and game production restrictions of ~1998 didn't have room. So, there's the rather clumsy reputation system and potential friends reacting to it, and each other's alignments.

But on the other hand, you've got things like Korgan's crush on Mazzy, it's not all bad :3:

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Mazzy taking Valygar on as a squire is also quite charming.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I know it was made in 1998 but I always felt it's dumb and lazy that evil BG1 NPCs prior to joining your party react poorly to low reputation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Suspicious posted:

I know it was made in 1998 but I always felt it's dumb and lazy that evil BG1 NPCs prior to joining your party react poorly to low reputation.

The reputation system was kind of a stone around your neck in all ways. It ended up being you'd hit 18 and then have to find a isolated peasant to murder for the rep drop so your evil members don't decided they suddenly had enough when you collect $30k for killing a evil monster.

Like, Korgan, I'm about to drop a fat stack of loot and cash in your lap and we just murdered our way through a corrupt cult, wtf is your problem?

Almost as dumb as Jaheira "We must strive to maintain BALALCE!" like okay, fine, I'll definitely kill this poor defenseless person instead of stealing the quest item because your stupid Druid beliefs mean if too many people like us it's bad.

....wait, aren't the Harpers basically an anti-establishment terrorist group? Like their mission statement would permit them to murder a just and noble ruler who's becoming mega-powerful and has massive influence?

pentyne fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 28, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Rappaport posted:

But on the other hand, you've got things like Korgan's crush on Mazzy, it's not all bad :3:

"Be aware, Mazzy, I've something long, hard and low to the ground ye're free to touch and fondle. Child, no need to glare! 'Twas me axe I were referring to."

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think BG2 just needed more innocent civilians worth killing imo, or to flag more of the people as innocent. BG1 had a bunch of people who it's worth to murder for their items or XP, especially early on, and while it makes no sense from a RP perspective at least from a powergame POV it means you aren't simply killing a civilian for the sake of -ve rep.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Vichan posted:

"Be aware, Mazzy, I've something long, hard and low to the ground ye're free to touch and fondle. Child, no need to glare! 'Twas me axe I were referring to."

He's a mass murderer, the alternative would be going all Patrick Bateman about his affections. Though I suppose that'd made for more interesting evil character dialogue! I've never tried the Edwin romance mod, but I'd expect that from him.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

My issues with alignment in general is that nobody is perfect. Even someone with good intentions and wants to help the poor and downtrodden are bound to have lapses of judgment at some point in their life.

This is basically my way of saying that RPGs should have personality traits rather than rigid alignment or moral compasses. I understand that'd be a nightmare to implement though, so it'd probably only work on smaller scale RPGs.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I mean, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're envisaging, Pillars of Eternity does almost exactly this. Rather than an Alignment, you have Reputations, such as Benevolent or Rational. You gain Reputations from actions and dialogue choices you take, and it affects how people treat you, and none of the Reputations cancel each other out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zeerust posted:

I mean, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're envisaging, Pillars of Eternity does almost exactly this. Rather than an Alignment, you have Reputations, such as Benevolent or Rational. You gain Reputations from actions and dialogue choices you take, and it affects how people treat you, and none of the Reputations cancel each other out.

You could level up each trait up to level 4 and each could be applied as optional choices. I really liked it, going all in on certain traits for a RP aspect was really rewarding when you hit level 4 and you start seeing new options for conversation or a dialogue that triggers specifically because it recognizes your trait level.

quote:

There are 10 distinct personality types the players can be disposed toward. The following is a list of them, and examples of how they might be judged:

Aggressive – Hot-headed, bold, or impatient. Some characters will think that you provoke fights and make only trouble, but others will admire you for taking charge, being decisive, and not letting people push you around.

Benevolent – Charitable, kind, soft, or weak. May be viewed as charitable and kind but others may consider the player weak or assume he or she will do things for free.

Clever – Sarcastic, sassy, foppish, or irreverent. May be well received by some as amusing, but other characters will assume that you are not to be taken seriously.

Cruel – Merciless, sadistic, brutal, or imperious. It doesn't typically earn you a lot of friends, but there are people who respect (and/or fear) brutality.

Deceptive/Shady – Dishonest, manipulative, or shrewd.

Diplomatic – Cautious, tame, or courteous. For example gained by remaining silent when two people are arguing and you choose to not interject.

Honest – Guileless, sincere, or straightforward. Gained for being straightforward. e.g. telling a guard that you broke in the house.

Passionate – Zealous, romantic, or obsessive.

Rational – Practical, standoffish, or cold

Stoic – Tight-lipped, cool-headed, or simple-minded. Gained for being unmoved/quiet in dialog options.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I liked it as well, I think the only weird thing was that focusing down on dialogue choices that give you certain reputations could make your character appear completely deranged. It made playing Paladins interesting, though!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

If anyone is interested on the various shortcomings of the Disposition/Reputation/Relationship mechanics in Deadfire, I did a talk on it a few months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OrUhqgueAE&t=420s

The short summary is that getting overly mechanical makes things harder for designers, rather than easier.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

....wait, aren't the Harpers basically an anti-establishment terrorist group? Like their mission statement would permit them to murder a just and noble ruler who's becoming mega-powerful and has massive influence?

No, the Harpers will work for and with good, just, fair rulers. They don't believe in monarchy for its own sake, and will work to depose rulers they think are evil or unjust, but the mere existence of a government head isn't a problem for them. You could maybe argue for the Harpers working against a ruler whose nation gets TOO big, but that isn't really how good nations work in the Realms, instead being more loose confederations of city-states. The only exception is Cormyr, which the Harpers have worked for and against at various times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013
is there a mod or something to prevent evil party members from leaving at high rep for BGEE?

I want to try an evil party but being an evil PC is lame and metagaming the rep system is also lame