Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rappaport posted:

You would... Defile game feelies? :ohno:

Defile? poo poo was written on the map, you just look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Defile? poo poo was written on the map, you just look at it.

Ohh, I apologize, I thought you meant like marking on the map where's the house with the crazy wizard, or where the ogre mage ambush happens, or whatever. The fun of the city of Baldur's gate is that behind every gods damned door there could be an adventure :hist101:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

pentyne posted:

Don't play Kingmaker.

Read the game thread here first, it goes into pretty good detail about who the game appeals to. If you were having any trouble at all understanding BG1 absolutely do not start KM until you feel like you know the core D&D mechanics like a second language.

I played NWN1&2 to completion, and Kingmaker still threw me for a loop. It assumes a ton of prior knowledge on the state of the game mechanics and mix-max combat strategies.

2E is way more confusing and convoluted than 3.5. NWN make it slightly more convoluted in a weird way partially just because those games were a bit awkward in the UI and controls and everything (and even then, it still taught DnD way better than BG -- I went back after NWN came out to play BG now that I understood the rules a bit better and could deform them to somewhat match 2E obtuseness). Kingmaker has a metric shitload of options, but you can also get by without being a superpro (or find plenty of builds for any given character concept) at DnD, especially as they've re-tuned the game over the years. I think someone would have a better time picking up DnD from KM than BG, still have to look up a guide to this day with certain 2E weirdness and BGs ancient UI.

Kingmaker is a great Baldur's Game imo and just a fantastic DnD cRPG. I'm glad I waited as long as I did to play it, they fixed sooooo much stuff you see people in the past complaining about and even between the previous time I played it and this weekend playing it again they'd updated a bunch of little things. Plus if you like fortress management in a cRPG, this one is definitely up there with NWN2 and DA:I

chaosapiant posted:

Baldur’s Gate is one of my all time favorite RPG cities. It’s done so drat well especially for technology. Athkatla is awesome as well, but feels a bit more disjointed because each district is a separate entity with its own theme, which is great in it’s own way.

WoW has my favourite RPG city now, Suramar was the ancient elf city trapped in a bubble and it's far more realized than any other city in the game and had normal folks wandering around and you could explore a lot of the interior spaces and stuff of the city. It's still WoW so there's only so much you can ever do anywhere but that city geometry itself could be great in a more interactive RPG.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Devorum posted:

It was always the story, though that name changed slightly between BG1 and BG2 being released.

Yeah, in the original BG1 disks they used the name John Icarus but I think that changed with a patch even before the EEs.

E: wow this thread blew up in the hour since I opened it and forgot to hit post on this

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Some of 3e's flaws disappear in a videogame, for instance fighters are enjoyable to play because the game takes care of the boring part of rolling dice for you. There's something immensely satisfying about pulling off a great cleave in the middle of a horde of a dozen enemies, where in the tabletop that'd be at least 30 minutes of rolling and calculations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
3.5 feels tailor-made for a videogame version. Way too much math and options to manage on paper, but when a computer does it all for you, hell yeah I'm going to be a magicboy that takes 3 classes that seemingly have nothing to do with being a wizard to get some OP feats to become a rule system monster.

5E is the opposite in videogame form, so few options and so little math you might as well be a jRPG character,

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, Kingmaker is seriously good and reminds me a LOT of BG1. I’m pumped about the sequel.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Finally a Witch class! DOS2 had a "Witch" but all of their classes were just crappy combos and Witch was nonsense in their system. Also just weird 5E doesn't have one, everyone loves a witch!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Hey, for all the people praising Kingmaker, can you give like a 2 sentence summary of how it played out for you? What class, general difficulty, how combat/story/Kingdom management shook out etc. because I'm kind of getting the vibe that maybe more people would play it if with the current state +mods you get a close approximation of a Baldur's Gate game as described by huge fans of the BG trilogy.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Khanstant posted:

Finally a Witch class! DOS2 had a "Witch" but all of their classes were just crappy combos and Witch was nonsense in their system. Also just weird 5E doesn't have one, everyone loves a witch!

How would a witch be different from a warlock, sorcerer or wizard

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

pentyne posted:

Hey, for all the people praising Kingmaker, can you give like a 2 sentence summary of how it played out for you? What class, general difficulty, how combat/story/Kingdom management shook out etc. because I'm kind of getting the vibe that maybe more people would play it if with the current state +mods you get a close approximation of a Baldur's Gate game as described by huge fans of the BG trilogy.

Fighter. Normal with a few tweaks. I never had many issues with the combat, excepting towards the end. I had the most problem with some of the puzzles, like the lantern and teleporting poo poo in the Fey World. I aced kingdom management and didn't have any significant issues with that part of the game. I didn't know anything about Kingmaker's tabletop system before playing it and I didn't use any mods. But it really felt like more of a successor to the classic BG games than Pillars did. Honestly, I think I liked Kingmaker more than Pillars 2 - I definitely liked it more than Pillars 1. I played it like a week before the big turn-based update which was ironic because I spent the whole game wishing it was turn-based.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Rappaport posted:

I haven't made a CHARNAME who uses crossbows in a long, long time, but now that you brought it up, maybe that could be my next 'gimmick' run. I hadn't played a Blade CHARNAME ever, I don't think, until it came up in this thread some time ago, and I had a jolly good time trying it out.

Anyway, in BG1 as mentioned there's a couple of fun-ish crossbows, and some interesting ones in BG2 as well, I think Adventurer's mart even has a couple of decent ones to start out with? Out of the stock NPCs only Keldorn and Jan Jansen come pre-packaged with crossbow pips, and it seems like it'd be a waste to use that with Keldorn? But if I take Jan along, I tend to have him just shoot bolts instead of stabbing people, in the first half of the game at least. Maybe that's not optimal, but then again the game is lenient enough that you don't have to min-max if you just want to run a certain kind of character for RP reasons.

Archer specializing in crossbows is an absolute murder machine. Like god of murder machine.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Mr. Lobe posted:

How would a witch be different from a warlock, sorcerer or wizard

girl

THS
Sep 15, 2017

kingmaker seems cool but like, years after release it’s hard to get past just the weird jank of the animations. characters hold their stuff weird, excessive clipping

also i get why the time limits exist but considering the wealth of difficulty options i don’t get why there is no option to disable. but i’m very much in the camp of dumb babies without much free time so whatever. there are other games i can play

also gently caress dice rolls for story skill checks

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

pentyne posted:

I played through it a couple times but my very first playthrough was with a Monster Tactician which is a summoning kit on one of the main classes. It was awesome. My second playthrough was with an Alchemist. Also very fun to throw bombs around. I had a hard time with the Kingdom stuff in my first run because it was buggy due to the launch. They added some stuff to make it easier in later patches. Also those infamous cave spiders the other poster mentioned were nerfed and aren’t even in that part of the game anymore. Overall it was a cool epic fantasy with a few neat dilemmas/settings.

You don’t need any mods to enjoy it. I was also new to pathfinder when I played.

I don’t think the graphics on it are bad, they’re obviously not on BG3 level but they’re fine.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

THS posted:

kingmaker seems cool but like, years after release it’s hard to get past just the weird jank of the animations. characters hold their stuff weird, excessive clipping

also i get why the time limits exist but considering the wealth of difficulty options i don’t get why there is no option to disable. but i’m very much in the camp of dumb babies without much free time so whatever. there are other games i can play

also gently caress dice rolls for story skill checks

Ya the time limits are a core part of the plot but they are super generous - you can also fully automate the kingdom if you don’t wanna play that part but I suggest you do.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Mad Wack posted:

Ya the time limits are a core part of the plot but they are super generous - you can also fully automate the kingdom if you don’t wanna play that part but I suggest you do.

everyone says they are super generous but i think everyone underestimates both my anxiety levels and how much i gently caress up and want to gently caress around. but yeah whatever, maybe the game isn’t for me

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

THS posted:

everyone says they are super generous but i think everyone underestimates both my anxiety levels and how much i gently caress up and want to gently caress around. but yeah whatever, maybe the game isn’t for me

Get the Bag of Tricks mod and the Kingdom Management mod. There are options to disable all the time limits, and even the option to let kingdom management events keep spawning each month while freezing the rest of the limits.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man, took a few day break once i hit the city in BG1 but im back at it. my god there's so many quests here.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The Kingdom management seems bad but if you go to the Hub and make a deal with the water merchants you can get a big time extension. Wait what game are we talking about.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

queeb posted:

Man, took a few day break once i hit the city in BG1 but im back at it. my god there's so many quests here.

You're really going to want to start getting used to multiple saves at this point. There's more then a few quests you can run into that will absolutely wreck your poo poo if you are level 4/5.

Have you done Durlag's Tower yet? You generally want to wait until you have a thief with 100 for find traps and pick locks to attempt as its a sprawling trap filled hell hole full of incredibly powerful magical items.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

cheesetriangles posted:

The Kingdom management seems bad but if you go to the Hub and make a deal with the water merchants you can get a big time extension. Wait what game are we talking about.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Hello thread,

I've been lurking his for a while, and I just bought the baldurs gate package for the switch. I've played through about half of baldurs gate 2 a decade or more ago but now I'm playing from 1 on. I'm playing a bow ranger for 1 which I understand should be pretty good because holy poo poo are my characters soft. Essentially most humans will kill one of my party unless I rest up and have a bunch of sleep and magic missile spells. Party is:

Ranger
Khalid
Jahira
Imoen
Wild elf mage
Bard

Good party? Any tips other than kiting enemies and using archers? The mage has only 2 spells and I'm ready to ditch her.

I just finished the mines part of the story.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Get the level 1 spell called Sleep on your mage. It trivialises most fights until pretty late in the game, except vs. undead

Bards are lovely as a class but they can use wands which BG1 absolutely hurls at you so just spam the poo poo out of wands with your bard.

Otherwise you look all good. Who is your frontline person? Neither Khalid nor Jaheira is amazing at it, but both can do it adequately - Jaheira is more tanky but Khalid has better damage output.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Oscar Wild posted:

Hello thread,

I've been lurking his for a while, and I just bought the baldurs gate package for the switch. I've played through about half of baldurs gate 2 a decade or more ago but now I'm playing from 1 on. I'm playing a bow ranger for 1 which I understand should be pretty good because holy poo poo are my characters soft. Essentially most humans will kill one of my party unless I rest up and have a bunch of sleep and magic missile spells. Party is:

Ranger
Khalid
Jahira
Imoen
Wild elf mage
Bard

Good party? Any tips other than kiting enemies and using archers? The mage has only 2 spells and I'm ready to ditch her.

I just finished the mines part of the story.

Bow ranger, you mean the Archer kit? Yes, that will wreck poo poo for the entire series more or less. You want to focus on short bows.

Unless you're playing on core or higher that's a solid line up. I don't like bards but in BG1 their main use is a source of using wands since the game drowns you in them. A wand of fireball with 50 charges can clear almost 1/2 the game's encounters.

You need to keep the mage, unless you replace her with another mage. There's the ring of wizardry hidden in a tree on the friendly arm inn map that doubles your first level spells, you'll get a lot of work out of sleep and charm early on.

Also, don't skimp out on exploring and finding all the early quests. If you're finding everything available and doing them you will level up really fast.

Oh, and if you find any books that say "permanent +1 to this stat" use it on your character and no one else. The stat boosts will be saved across the series for the PC but not anyone else.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 18, 2020

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

pentyne posted:

Bow ranger, you mean the Archer kit? Yes, that will wreck poo poo for the entire series more or less. You want to focus on short bows.

Unless you're playing on core or higher that's a solid line up. I don't like bards but in BG1 their main use is a source of using wands since the game drowns you in them. A wand of fireball with 50 charges can clear almost 1/2 the game's encounters.

You need to keep the mage, unless you replace her with another mage. There's the ring of wizardry hidden in a tree on the friendly arm inn map that doubles your first level spells, you'll get a lot of work out of sleep and charm early on.

Thanks! I know mages are just way powerful in 2 but this gal is just a liability and another meat shield would be nice.

There's no way to respect skills is there? I took longbow. And yes archer on normal or base difficulty

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Longbow is the right choice for anyone who can use them

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Oscar Wild posted:

Thanks! I know mages are just way powerful in 2 but this gal is just a liability and another meat shield would be nice.

There's no way to respect skills is there? I took longbow. And yes archer on normal or base difficulty

Assuming you keep the same character throughout both games and all the expansions you can spec in both long and short bow. Shortbow is a late BG2 thing anyways.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

bike tory posted:

Longbow is the right choice for anyone who can use them

This human speaks the truth. There is at least one short bow that you can get towards the end of BG2 that is arguably the best bow in the game, but for 90% of the time you'll be playing long bows are the better option and you will be pumping out damage like nobody's business before you know it.

I am nostalgic because the first character I completed the series with was a ranger specializing in longbows. Right up until the end of ToB that ranger was murdering stuff left and right.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

bike tory posted:

Get the level 1 spell called Sleep on your mage. It trivialises most fights until pretty late in the game, except vs. undead

Bards are lovely as a class but they can use wands which BG1 absolutely hurls at you so just spam the poo poo out of wands with your bard.

Otherwise you look all good. Who is your frontline person? Neither Khalid nor Jaheira is amazing at it, but both can do it adequately - Jaheira is more tanky but Khalid has better damage output.

Missed this but Khalid and Jaheria are on the front lines. Everyone is level 1-2 Imoen, the bard and main char are bows/crossbows, mage Neera is useless with 2 spells and a sling. Khalid usually eats it if I engage anything more threatening than a getterling, should I use him as a tank? I've been giving him the best heavy armor I can scavenge.

This is so fun. I am torn between continuing on the switch and going back to PC

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i ran everyone with bows until like level 3-4, even jaheira and khalid and whoever. all ranges just obliterates stuff when youc an die in one hit. toss sleep in all of neeras spell slots, its really strong at the beginning.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
There's a hidden ring outside the friendly arm inn that will double a mage's level 1 spell slots. So if you're using Neera you'll get the extra Wild Mage spell slot and then double that, which is usually enough casts sleep of sleep to clear an entire map until you find the Wand of Sleep and replace the slots with magic missile shotgun action.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

it seems obscenely strong on my sorceror as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Oscar Wild posted:

Missed this but Khalid and Jaheria are on the front lines. Everyone is level 1-2 Imoen, the bard and main char are bows/crossbows, mage Neera is useless with 2 spells and a sling. Khalid usually eats it if I engage anything more threatening than a getterling, should I use him as a tank? I've been giving him the best heavy armor I can scavenge.

This is so fun. I am torn between continuing on the switch and going back to PC

I would say go PC but that's because I can't play without cheating and it's very easy to cheat on PC.

Give Neera nothing but sleep spells. Is she proficient in slings, I haven't actually used her in BG1 If not she's probably proficient in either darts or dagger so give her darts or throwing daggers instead. If she's not proficient in any of them give her darts, you throw three a round she'll hit a lot more often when she's still missing everything.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

-_-

so many queeeeests

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I've beaten Baldur's Gate 2 more than once, I've never made it to Baldur's Gate in Baldur's Gate 1

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
If you don't explore every wilderness area, getting to the city and even beating the game don't take that long.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is BG2 more focused?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

queeb posted:

is BG2 more focused?

A bit, yes. Especially in the early parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

queeb posted:

is BG2 more focused?

Not at the start, it's more front loaded though. BG2 you can do a million different things after the tutorial dungeon and also skip most of them, do two or three big quests (out of like sevenish I think, and a jazillion side quests, the gating mechanism is just getting a certain amount of gold) you can beeline to the endgame if you want to and know what you're doing.

If you've played through it more than once you're largely doing quests either out of completionism or to get specific items, or you really want the high level powers (assuming you don't mod druids Jaheira is loving insane at level 15, but you need TOB amounts of experience to get there).