Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Khanstant posted:

What game had this spooky town

is this not in the first NWN module? the one with the town that's outside of time? I can't remember the name. (possibly the second module)

Skwirl posted:

If you ever wanted to try the user modules again here's a quick post from beamdog on getting them to work on Android.

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/12/how-to-install-custom-content-to.html

Apparently saved games are also transferable if you later get the desktop version.

thank you! I suspect I just did a bad job of copying files over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Empty Sandwich posted:

is this not in the first NWN module? the one with the town that's outside of time? I can't remember the name. (possibly the second module)

thank you! I suspect I just did a bad job of copying files over

Yeah, the other common issue is oftentimes people will download the module but forget to download the hakpak for it. If the module is using any textures or models that aren't in the base game/expansions it needs a hak pak also.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I remember really enjoying the Tales of Arterra mod for Neverwinter Nights as well. It kind of steals the broad story outline of Baldur's Gate, but is very good in its own right.

Has the NWN Enhanced Edition revived the modding scene? I've checked out the Neverwinter Vault and it seems it hasn't.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I downloaded a mod for NWN:EE that gave a whooole bunch of additional races and classes, but it also came with an annoying bug/glitch that randomly applied a damage effect to my PC. So I'd have to have a bunch of healing spells or potions kept aside for this.
Also, the number of new races and classes meant that the character creation screen would hang for about a minute every time :)

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Captain Oblivious posted:

The actual good poo poo is all user made and Aielund is broadly considered to be the gold standard by a fair margin.

I think Swordflight blows that one out of the water tbh. And the guy's still making new modules.

Khanstant posted:

What game had this spooky town in the middle of a forest, basically had nothing much to do with your main quest that I recall, but it was a really good focused-area centered on some kind of spooky horror mystery going on in this town with a haunted mansion or tower in it. I think there was either a Lich, a pair of Liches, or just a pair of differently good/evil brothers. The dungeon map itself was pretty elaborate, with different paths and challenges depending on how you approached it or who you were siding with. I think you may have also been appointed sheriff, lawyer, and judge in some capacity. The more I try to describe it the looser idea I'm getting of it, but I also want to think there was a twist that you didn't necessarily have to uncover or deal with to resolve the quest. Maybe like the Lich did something super horrible to become a Lich, but those kids were dicks or something like that?

Anyway, just thinking of cool Liches and Lich stories while waiting to be one in Wrath of the Righteous.

Chapter 2 of the original NWN campaign. One of the highlights of the entire thing.

One of the brothers wanted to become a lich but the other brother was the one who actually killed the kids. If you've collected all the evidence you can find out that a demon was manipulating everything behind the scenes which allows you to find neither brother guilty. If you keep the phylactery for yourself you imprison the demon but doom the town, the opposite happens if you give the phylactery to the guardian spirit and I consider that to be the 'best' ending.

If only the entire game was that involved...

Vichan fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 20, 2020

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah, that was definitely the single best part of the OG NWN campaign.

Shadows and Horde are fine, I'd call Horde good personally, but otherwise eh. The EE is very, very good though. The recent graphical work they did was phenomenal. Everyone talks up Aeilund but tbh I only ever found it "okay" at best and kind of aggressively bad in several points. Some neat ideas but mostly just an excuse to romp around with OP items and read bad romance dialogue. Never heard of Swordflight, I'll have to look at that at some point.

I will continue to maintain that if you want 3d DnD party combat game you should just get NWN2 and MOTB and play through them as a set, even with how terrible the opening parts of the NWN2 OC are. Just some excellent payoff there.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

I remember really enjoying the Tales of Arterra mod for Neverwinter Nights as well. It kind of steals the broad story outline of Baldur's Gate, but is very good in its own right.

Has the NWN Enhanced Edition revived the modding scene? I've checked out the Neverwinter Vault and it seems it hasn't.

A lot of the modding (the nwvault discord has several devs and a bunch of the modders from the olden days have slowly been trickling in) I've seen is more technical and about pushing the boundaries of the engine. I saw someone who imported all the assets from Megaton from Fallout 3 into the toolset and you could walk around it just like in Fallout, it's very wild stuff. I also saw someone making a wild west mod that looked very high quality, but it also seemed like a side result from their technical progress (they figured out how to make map tiles move constantly to create the illusion of a train moving for example). Time will tell if anything playable comes out.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Khanstant posted:

What game had this spooky town in the middle of a forest, basically had nothing much to do with your main quest that I recall, but it was a really good focused-area centered on some kind of spooky horror mystery going on in this town with a haunted mansion or tower in it. I think there was either a Lich, a pair of Liches, or just a pair of differently good/evil brothers. The dungeon map itself was pretty elaborate, with different paths and challenges depending on how you approached it or who you were siding with. I think you may have also been appointed sheriff, lawyer, and judge in some capacity. The more I try to describe it the looser idea I'm getting of it, but I also want to think there was a twist that you didn't necessarily have to uncover or deal with to resolve the quest. Maybe like the Lich did something super horrible to become a Lich, but those kids were dicks or something like that?

Anyway, just thinking of cool Liches and Lich stories while waiting to be one in Wrath of the Righteous.

Reminds me somewhat of NWN 1, one area of the second chapter of "find the 4 plot items in for differently themed areas". It had the haunted town in the middle of the forest,the two brothers and the "find out what happened and name the culprit".

But you make it sound cooler than it really was.

EDIT: Sorry, a bit too slow. It really was part of OG NWN 1.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 20, 2020

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, the other common issue is oftentimes people will download the module but forget to download the hakpak for it. If the module is using any textures or models that aren't in the base game/expansions it needs a hak pak also.

yup. I was trying to do Aielund, based on the reviews, but I probably missed an asset somewhere, since it requires all kinds of stuff.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
A lot of modules, including Aielund, you can just subscribe to via Steam Workshop and skip the manual downloading of hakpaks and whatnot. Which is a lot more convenient than the old days.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I got the EE for $5 off GOG a week before it went on sale for the same price on steam so I lose out on that. It sure is nostalgic having to put all these files in the right folder though!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Captain Oblivious posted:

A lot of modules, including Aielund, you can just subscribe to via Steam Workshop and skip the manual downloading of hakpaks and whatnot. Which is a lot more convenient than the old days.

hmm. any idea if I can do that on a phone?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vichan posted:

I think Swordflight blows that one out of the water tbh. And the guy's still making new modules.

Chapter 2 of the original NWN campaign. One of the highlights of the entire thing.

One of the brothers wanted to become a lich but the other brother was the one who actually killed the kids. If you've collected all the evidence you can find out that a demon was manipulating everything behind the scenes which allows you to find neither brother guilty. If you keep the phylactery for yourself you imprison the demon but doom the town, the opposite happens if you give the phylactery to the guardian spirit and I consider that to be the 'best' ending.

If only the entire game was that involved...

Yeah that's the one! That was a good-rear end mini-adventure. I can't recall digging many other parts of the OG NWN so much as that area. Last time I tried to play NWN I just couldn't get over the tiny party and stuff, which were actually the same problems I had when it came out but persevered anyway.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

You actually don't want to do the big stuff like Aielund through the workshop, even though it's on there. While they're usually good about posting any other mod dependencies on the workshop page, you often need to actually manually move files around even after getting everything, and the workshop installation process 1) doesn't do that for you, and 2) often doesn't package the files the same way as any readmes you find will. Aielund, at least, had a showstopper bug because of this like three months ago and I doubt they've fixed it since then.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 20, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Psycho Landlord posted:

You actually don't want to do the big stuff like Aielund through the workshop, even though it's on there. While they're usually good about posting any other mod dependencies on the workshop page, you often need to actually manually move files around even after getting everything, and the workshop installation process 1) doesn't do that for you, and 2) often doesn't package the files the same way any readmes you find will. Aielund, at least, had a showstopper bug because of this like three months ago and I doubt they've fixed it since then.

It was good while it lasted :negative:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I mean you can still do the workshop download if you want, long as you know what needs to get moved where in order to avoid crashes.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you want more henchman you can actually go into the files and modify the value in the startup scripts. It takes some elbow grease and knowhow but I did it so I could have a giant party of orc warriors following me around into dungeons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Empty Sandwich posted:

hmm. any idea if I can do that on a phone?

You can only subscribe to steam mods for games you own on steam, so no. There's ways to download them separately for some games, but at that point it's an even more involved process than just getting them off neverwintervault.org.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Suspicious posted:

Fighter clerics aren't really good at tanking, they're DPS.

I don't know that that kind of MMO paradigm really applies to Baldur's Gate, or to fighter clerics particularly.

Zeerust posted:

Whenever you're talking about a Fighter multiclass, dual-classing is always the 'optimal' choice. Fighter levels past 9 are astronomically less useful than spellcaster levels, and the exponential XP cost of levelling up means you'll get the higher spell levels significantly later in your game, and you'll end up missing out on around 13 levels of Cleric (F 24 / C 25 vs. F 9 / C 38). Additionally, dual-classing lets you take a Fighter kit; the Berserker kit in particular makes this a no-brainer by itself if you're optimising, since the Berserk ability makes you completely immune to the most dangerous effects in the game.

However! Multiclassing is easier and simpler and there's no awkward liminal period where you're just a lovely Cleric, giving a smoother playthrough overall. Also, Fighter/Cleric is such a strong combo either way that you'll eventually godmode the game anyway.

Berserker rage is very nice but I think in TOB the dual classed character loses ground to the multiclass because the fighter HLAs are very nice, and after you take whatever epic spells you use you can stack up whirlwinds and hardiness that are always useful. I feel like in TOB cleric casting starts taking so LOOONG that I don't want to cast much in combat, especially since they changed Greater Restoration. But whirlwinds and hardiness are always useful.

The fighter dual cleric will be able to turn undead better and summon skeleton warriors earlier however.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
They're useful shorthands. Fighter clerics don't have anything that significantly helps them take hits and survive until, in the case of the multiclass, HLAs with hardiness. They do poo poo out damage however, with draw upon holy might and righteous magic. Fighter druids get iron skins. Fighter mages get stone skin, blur, mirror image, etc.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Did the EE get rid of the kobolds in the Nashkel farms? I could have sworn there were some lurking around...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

GorfZaplen posted:

Did the EE get rid of the kobolds in the Nashkel farms? I could have sworn there were some lurking around...

I think that wss just the old intro movie. Always confused me too, because you see the farm house and the family, and then there's the terrible looking 90's CG kobolds, but then nothing on the map aside from the hidden ankheg armor.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Cafe Barbarian posted:

I don't know that that kind of MMO paradigm really applies to Baldur's Gate, or to fighter clerics particularly.

Berserker rage is very nice but I think in TOB the dual classed character loses ground to the multiclass because the fighter HLAs are very nice, and after you take whatever epic spells you use you can stack up whirlwinds and hardiness that are always useful. I feel like in TOB cleric casting starts taking so LOOONG that I don't want to cast much in combat, especially since they changed Greater Restoration. But whirlwinds and hardiness are always useful.

The fighter dual cleric will be able to turn undead better and summon skeleton warriors earlier however.

This is true, I should take into account that Fighter HLAs are actually worthwhile for F/Cs, as opposed to F/Ms who can replicate all the strongest Fighter effects with their spells. The only other difference I didn't note is that dual-class can achieve Grand Mastery, but honestly that's kind of moot overall, and you end up at the same amount of attacks either way unless you're a masochist and you dualled at Level 13.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zeerust posted:

This is true, I should take into account that Fighter HLAs are actually worthwhile for F/Cs, as opposed to F/Ms who can replicate all the strongest Fighter effects with their spells. The only other difference I didn't note is that dual-class can achieve Grand Mastery, but honestly that's kind of moot overall, and you end up at the same amount of attacks either way unless you're a masochist and you dualled at Level 13.

Dualing at 13 probably leaves you with fewer attacks on average over the entire course of the game because you spend so much time with a single attack waiting for your fighter levels back.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
But it doesn't matter how much bullshit you have to suffer through, so long as you're absolutely optimal for the last 10 minutes and utterly ruin the tension of the final set piece boss fight!

- 95% of character build guides

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Prokosch posted:

But it doesn't matter how much bullshit you have to suffer through, so long as you're absolutely optimal for the last 10 minutes and utterly ruin the tension of the final set piece boss fight!

I've been playing random Neverwinter Nights modules and looking at fun builds and so many have a skill point dump at level 40. Built-in campaigns get you to like 27ish, and nearly everything is look at online tops out at like level 34 max.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

When looking to play NWN2 every single power build was 100% geared towards pvp at level 40. Thankfully a few blatantly advertised they were effective at low level and to just swap the pvp skills for whatever you liked. It's pretty funny to see 40+ builds where 1/2 of them are dipping into 4 classes and seeing things like it doesn't get effective until level 20.

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019

Skwirl posted:

Dualing at 13 probably leaves you with fewer attacks on average over the entire course of the game because you spend so much time with a single attack waiting for your fighter levels back.

There's literally no reason to put yourself through this. Scribe scrolls and turn in quests solo. It's cheesy, but so is playing a F/M.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zhuge liang posted:

There's literally no reason to put yourself through this. Scribe scrolls and turn in quests solo. It's cheesy, but so is playing a F/M.

Quest xp is flat no matter how many people are in the party and scribing scrolls isn't an option for fighter/clerics, which is what we were talking about initially.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

pentyne posted:

When looking to play NWN2 every single power build was 100% geared towards pvp at level 40. Thankfully a few blatantly advertised they were effective at low level and to just swap the pvp skills for whatever you liked. It's pretty funny to see 40+ builds where 1/2 of them are dipping into 4 classes and seeing things like it doesn't get effective until level 20.

Whoa, I don't know why but I've just never even thought of a cRPG PvP... or DnD PvP in general.How common is that? I can't think of a reason why it couldn't work, often NPCs use the same rules your PC does... just never gave it any thought. Come to think of it, didn't Baldur's Gate get some kind of multiplayer thing at some point, including a mode to just fight in an arena? I remember it sounded boring back then b/c I barely got the rules and mostly cheesed combat anyway, but now I think at the very least I might enjoy seeing some people PvP old cRPG style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYeqKAKLdQ4

Instead I found myself a video of one person trying to fake doing PvP with themselves lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Persistent worlds were very popular for NWN1, and the people really into that part of it are the most likely to also get into making builds.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
apologies if this is an answered question, but i couldn't find it:

what are the best mods for NWN and NWN2, and where can you get them these days since the IGN archive or whatever shutdown?

i guess "best" is kind of broad, but i'm hoping to cast a wide net. i am interested in any bugfixes, cut content, or quality of life for NWN2 especially, though

a final question for NWN2: if i wanted to create a custom weapon or piece of armor for use in the OC, how would i "insert" it in there? i have some idea of how use the game editor, but not much beyond that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

neverwintervault.org is probably the best place for NWN1 modules

It has most everything that was on the IGN vault.

as someone else said, the top rated mods on there are either really good in their own right or is a sex mod and you can tell the difference pretty quickly from the description.

I think they also have all the NWN2 mods that were on IGN as well I just haven't looked as closely.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
thanks, that looks like a good resource! i'm still a bit nervous about NWN2 though; i remember there being issues with some of the cut content mods forcing romances or something? is there a good tutorial on how to get around that kind of stuff anywhere? maybe an old thread in archives or something?

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

For an NWN2 fixpack/unofficial patch, use this: https://github.com/nwn2fixes/player

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'm still, insanely slowly mind you, making my with through BG one on the switch.

I made my character a Fighter/Mage as it sounded really fun, but they level so slowly compared to everyone else. I think everyone else is level 4 or so off the quests I've done, while I'm still level 2 or so.

If I'm using a dual class, should I not be rolling with a full party or something? I'm happy to trim some people from it if need be. Also holy crap did I get owned by the wild mage ladies' character quest. Like 3 wizards and a million orcs teleporting in is pretty brutal. They generally instantly destroy my casters.

I also need to find a better cleric then the viking lady even though she's cool, and maybe look up where some good magic items are for my fighter mage..

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It will even out later as the XP requirements ramp up. You'll generally be one level behind single classes.

For clerics your options are not great simply because single class clerics are kinda weak compared to fighters and mages. Their use is mostly in buffs and healing, the former of which can be tedious to do every single combat. The best cleric is Viconia, who comes with 50% innate magic resistance and really high dex so she's good with ranged stuff. Stupidly, for an evil aligned NPC, you need relative high reputation to get her because she's one of the tiny handful of things in this game that requires a high "reaction" score. Another option if you want someone who's a bit better in combat but isn't quite as great at the cleric stuff is Yeslick, who you'll find towards the end of Chapter 4 so long as you explore the entire mine. Go in with an empty party slot though. He's a fighter/cleric multiclass.

e: you should absolutely take a cleric with you, I don't mean to suggest they're useless. I just mean that they can feel weak in combat, their utility more than makes up for it.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 22, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
So many interesting NPCs in BG1 that I rarely use because they get introduced so late, Coran tends to be the last NPC I pick up.

NWN mod related: How is the Prophet series of mods?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Tiax rules all!

(I'd recommend trying the mod that places NPCs in earlier, easier to access locations)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

How can I play an evil character without feeling like a terrible person??? The evil options in Baldur's Gate are like Disney villain level poo poo.