Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
here I sit
broken-hearted
came to gnoll
instead xvarted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

H13 posted:

I think TOB is just badly paced.

(...)

I miss walking into a wilderness area and stomping some Xvarts for giggles like you could midway through BG1. I know I'm god level in TOB, but it doesn't feel like it because I'm only fighting fuckin' Fire Giants and high level Drow.

The Oasis fight in TOB is basically the epic-level equivalent of this and, not coincidentally, it is probably the one part of TOB I still remember fondly today.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I let Dynaheir and Edwin fight it out and it ended with both their deaths. It's kind of funny that it came down to them beating each other with sticks when they both presumably had spells they could cast. I guess Xan is my mage from now on unless I dare invite EE npcs into my party.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I let Dynaheir and Edwin fight it out and it ended with both their deaths. It's kind of funny that it came down to them beating each other with sticks when they both presumably had spells they could cast. I guess Xan is my mage from now on unless I dare invite EE npcs into my party.

I would take the "recorded on a PC headset mic" audio over the walking pile of dullness that is Xan any day.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Rappaport posted:

Just straight up exterminating the xvart village on the way there, for no reason other than blue little men bad, still seems messed up.

On a first playthrough you'll just kind of stumble onto it while exploring and they'll start attacking you, and every xvart you kill reveals several more xvarts, so it's kind of accidental. Not sure if that really makes it any better though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'll admit that charming their bear god and turning him loose on them is pretty monstrous though.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pentyne posted:

I would take the "recorded on a PC headset mic" audio over the walking pile of dullness that is Xan any day.

I enjoy his melodramatic defeatism

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

GorfZaplen posted:

On a first playthrough you'll just kind of stumble onto it while exploring and they'll start attacking you, and every xvart you kill reveals several more xvarts, so it's kind of accidental. Not sure if that really makes it any better though.

It's like when someone asks you the hypothetical question of how many toddlers you think you could fight off before being overwhelmed and killed. I guess the answer is "a lot".

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

pentyne posted:

isn't Xan Frank Welker?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

isn't Xan Frank Welker?

He's Dexter's dad.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxrd2TVjLI0
This video but it's Xan and his moonblade running headlong into horde of enemies

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

GorfZaplen posted:

He's Dexter's dad.

goddammit, I'm thinking of Xzar

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Depressed elf man is one of my favorite NPCs in the game and Jeff Bennett owns. :shrug:

jfenserty
Jul 16, 2008
A thing about the backstabbing warrior that is very fun to remember is to keep all the invisibility potions you find so you can keep stabbing in the middle of fights.

And if you want to try it out in BG1 before you have dualled your guy later, Montaran and Shar-Teel (who can dual-class to Thief) are also good at it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Man, I've been breezing through so far, I even beat the Doomsayer on my first try, but the Sirines at the lighthouse kicked my rear end. I had Minsc and my berserker go ahead to resist their charm but they just murdered him with poison instead and then charmed Safana! Any tips?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Man, I've been breezing through so far, I even beat the Doomsayer on my first try, but the Sirines at the lighthouse kicked my rear end. I had Minsc and my berserker go ahead to resist their charm but they just murdered him with poison instead and then charmed Safana! Any tips?

Essentially you can either try to out-DPS them, or disable them somehow. If your party doesn't eg. have access to skellingtons, you can try some lower level disabling spells, but I'm almost sure they're too high level for Sleep? For the first strategy, you can try to somewhat cheese it by trying to separate the groups into individual attackers by abusing line of sight, unless the EE fixes this behaviour. There's also a lot of potions for curing poison in the game even early on, you even get some free ones like from the gnome at the Friendly Arm inn. According to the wiki, there's several helms of charm protection at Firewine, but you have to pick-pocket them I guess?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
You can sleep them but they have very high saves. I think bless and chant can help make your rolls, but you'll never out all of them to sleep at once. You can drag them out of the fog of war one by one to help your chances. Or use their arrows against them and hope they fail their bleeding save, which will prevent them from casting charm.

Or save scum sleep. Or use wands.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Dillbag posted:

Or use wands.

The solution to many problems in BG1.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If you have Haste, either a potion or scroll or spell, cast it on Minsc and then Berserk him and send him in. He should be able to blend them up. Get in, kill one or two, then back out and sleep/save/repeat.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Beat Sendai. She wasn't that much of a problem once I summoned a Deva on the stairs where the drow were coming in. Let the Deva deal with the Drow while my party dealt with Sendai.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I ended up beating the sirines by having branwen drink a potion of clarity so she could cast slow poison on my berserkers if needed. Naturally after all this preparation I never needed her and the sirines were torn apart without much fuss.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

H13 posted:

Beat Sendai. She wasn't that much of a problem once I summoned a Deva on the stairs where the drow were coming in. Let the Deva deal with the Drow while my party dealt with Sendai.

Yep, the angelic summons are really good, even if you can't just cheese the game with the infinite summons exploit.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

If you never go to the sunken city and meet the beholder, does he still act chummy at Sendai's?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Arbite posted:

If you never go to the sunken city and meet the beholder, does he still act chummy at Sendai's?

I'm fairly certain the game doesn't check whether you've met him or not, not that it happens that often across games.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Why wouldn't you go to the sunken city? The place is awesome and has some cool loot and it gives the shift into the Underdark a bit more tension.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Arbite posted:

There is absolutely no change in dialogue if you don’t go to the Sahuagin city

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lucas Archer posted:

Why wouldn't you go to the sunken city? The place is awesome and has some cool loot and it gives the shift into the Underdark a bit more tension.

If you don't know what you're doing its easy to accidentally skip.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lucas Archer posted:

It's hard to trust Saemon at that point and leaving through the portal seems like a logical decision since it's in the same place you're at already

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

GorfZaplen posted:

It's hard to trust Saemon at that point and leaving through the portal seems like a logical decision since it's in the same place you're at already

It's also presumably how Irenicus exited so if you want to chase him down and get your soul back why would you gently caress about getting on a boat with that idiot again?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vichan posted:

I'm fairly certain the game doesn't check whether you've met him or not, not that it happens that often across games.

KOTOR2 having a conversation where you pick the LS/DS and gender of the KOTOR1 PC was revolutionary, actual cross game save stuff was miles off

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

KOTOR2 having a conversation where you pick the LS/DS and gender of the KOTOR1 PC was revolutionary, actual cross game save stuff was miles off

It was good writing too because the character presents it like how the layperson views the entire conflict, like most people didn't even really get the whole Jedi/Sith split it just seemed like a bunch of space wizards fighting each other so they would reasonably believe anything someone who was involved said about the whole issue.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Draconis was a diiiiiiiick. That loving Acid Breath was bullshit. These are the sort of fights that poo poo me because the only way to adequately prepare for the battle is to know what's coming up to load up on protection from acid, which hasn't really been necessary in the game prior to that gently caress knuckle.

I found him way harder than Abazigal. For Abby, I summoned a couple of Mordy Swords to keep him busy while my party ran 'round and killed the Salamanders. Then I buffed them up and sent them in. It was a fairly straightforward fight from there.

Powerful summons really do break this game quite badly. But oh well. Onto Balthazar!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Cloakwood mines are kind of half-baked, aren't they? There's no loot even in locked chests and all the guards only have the most basic equipment. I'm not complaining because I was full up on loot after going through the cloakwood but it's still a little strange to see. My wands of fear are certainly proving to be useful here though!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There’s a magic item in the armory and some good spell scrolls and cash in the last level IIRC

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

The Cloakwood mines are kind of half-baked, aren't they? There's no loot even in locked chests and all the guards only have the most basic equipment. I'm not complaining because I was full up on loot after going through the cloakwood but it's still a little strange to see. My wands of fear are certainly proving to be useful here though!

Well, you get nice loot from the ambush on the court-yard, there's some mid-level mage somewhere in the mine itself who drops some scrolls and maybe a good wand? and Davaeorn drops a very good robe, just for very bad people :v: And his library slash slime room had some good scrolls too, I think?

And from a world-building point of view, the guards are mooks because they're there to guard the slaves, not ward off incoming invasions, the place is in one of the most hostile places of the world map, who'd even go there? And conversely, it'd be weird if a clandestine iron mine was packed to the gills with +3 loot.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think the ogre magi there drops the only enchanted katana in the enhanced edition too, right? I like the cloakwood mines, anyway

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

It amazes me to this day that the same game designers that made bad dungeons like the Firewine Bridge Ruins and the Thieves' Maze also made Durlag's Tower.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SoggyBobcat posted:

It amazes me to this day that the same game designers that made bad dungeons like the Firewine Bridge Ruins and the Thieves' Maze also made Durlag's Tower.

Durlag’s Tower is, to this day, my favorite gaming dungeon of all time.

But I do also really enjoy Firewine/Ulcaster/Ice Island dungeons. I enjoy spending time meticulously inching a scouting thief forward disarming traps and luring enemies to ambush them as I slowly remove the fog of war from the map. I totally get why people hate it though, and yea, Durlag’s is far better.

To anyone who hasn’t played the Pillars of Eternity games, the Endless Paths is an awesome dungeon and my second favorite close behind Durlag’s.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Man, reading through this makes me realize how much I missed in bg2. Going to finish ToB then maybe do another run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish the EE changed how detect traps worked so that it worked consistently instead of doing a check every six seconds or whatever