Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Angry Lobster posted:

Is that time of the year again? Man, time sure flies.

seems to come earlier every year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

El Grillo posted:

I did not expect to be seeing articles still being written about NWN in TYOOL 2021. The world has gone insane.

From last page but - FYI beamdog are continuing to patch the game a bunch. New stuff is still being added, basically because whilst there's no money behind it, there is just a hardcore passionate few within the company that still want to keep supporting the game and seem to do so in their spare time. It's quite mad, but also very awesome.

It is really grand to see a genuine passion project/labour of love, but I'd rather see more for NWN2. I like NWN2 for being party-based, which NWN1 is not. I don't mind single-character RPGs in games like Skyrim where the PC can do anything he cares to do, but in RPGs with specalised class systems, and D&D of any version most definitely counts, I want to be able to mix-and-match skills.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Honestly I have felt from about 3 months after its launch that NWN2 can't be saved. That software was a gigantic mess at launch and it's really never been fixed. All the basic stuff; camera, UI, animations, the way areas and area transitions have to be made, hell even the visuals, it's almost ubiquitously bad.

I wished for ages that NWN2 would get fixed somehow but it hasn't been and I can't see it happening. NWN1 has the advantage of being an extremely solid game in terms of its core functionality. The real question to me would be whether some of the additional party features you'd like, could be added. I don't play single player much these days so I'm not even sure what it is about NWN1's henchman system that is lacking lol. Though I am sure it is lacking a lot - presumably, finer control over henchmen? Interestingly enough the DM client allows for directing groups of NPCs (with click and drag selection) etc, so there doesn't seem to be any real reason that sort of functionality couldn't be added to the single player game.

Related - rumour on the grapevine is that WoTC effectively killed a new module BD were working on for NWN, which is why the assets being developed for that module got released for free a few days ago:
https://twitter.com/TrentOster/status/1465779301026988034?t=q-ugCsyWjaHbQ2ghXfjrQA&s=19

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

well that sucks

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I kinda feel NWN2 is a perfectly fine game and to this day don’t understand the issues with the camera. It controls just the same as NWN1, but with more view modes and custom options. But stick on “exploration” and it controls just the same. It’s a great game to this day.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I did a trial iron man run for fun, and also because I usually can't participate in the thread properly since I'm stuck with my laptop during the holidays!, and welp. Did FAI stuff, recruited Viconia, hoofed it to Beregost, did all the little things there, got Miriam's letter and the boots of stealth, killed Bassilus even, that scared me, and then I went to get the short sword +2. The knobgoblins got scared of my party, ran away, I gave chase, CHARNAME was ambushed by a ghast, held, dead in two hits. :rip:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I kinda feel NWN2 is a perfectly fine game and to this day don’t understand the issues with the camera. It controls just the same as NWN1, but with more view modes and custom options. But stick on “exploration” and it controls just the same. It’s a great game to this day.

That wasn't present at release. They revised the camera several times with patches and expansions. Unfortunately it never played nice with stuff like slopes and elevations, which NWN1 had less to deal with.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

El Grillo posted:

Related - rumour on the grapevine is that WoTC effectively killed a new module BD were working on for NWN, which is why the assets being developed for that module got released for free a few days ago:
https://twitter.com/TrentOster/status/1465779301026988034?t=q-ugCsyWjaHbQ2ghXfjrQA&s=19

I will never forgive WoTC for axing Shadowguard and Witch's Wake... :cripes:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why does WoTC hate making money?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I think the reason they wouldn't allow BD to do a new module for NWN:EE is because they don't want pre-5e stuff being made, maybe? Can't remember whether I heard that somewhere or it's just speculation on my own part.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 2, 2021

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, let's be honest, the audience for a new NWN module in 2021 is vanishingly small.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, let's be honest, the audience for a new NWN module in 2021 is vanishingly small.

I feel really bad for Ossian Studios, they finally get to release Darkness over Daggerford as a premium module but most of the fanbase has moved on... :(

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I think someone in this thread said that the source code for NWN2 got lost and that's why there won't be an EE.

I could easily be misremembering, though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Empty Sandwich posted:

I think someone in this thread said that the source code for NWN2 got lost and that's why there won't be an EE.

I could easily be misremembering, though.

You're probably thinking of Icewind Dale 2. I'm not sure why there hasn't been an Enhanced Edition for NWN2, although Beamdog's talked about wanting to move on from those projects, and also there's relatively less attachment because Trent Oster, their founder, worked on the original NWN but didn't work on NWN2 and considers it an inferior project for batshit reasons (he thinks that it moved away from the D&D ideal they were building towards because as a player in D&D you have a character sheet and you're not supposed to build a party... Trent... what????).

I think there were also rumors of there needing to be approval on Obsidian's end, although to be honest, I fail to imagine a situation in which Obsidian's founders don't sign on it, especially if it guaranteed them a cut of the revenue.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

You're probably thinking of Icewind Dale 2.

dammit! yep.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Rappaport posted:

I did a trial iron man run for fun, and also because I usually can't participate in the thread properly since I'm stuck with my laptop during the holidays!, and welp. Did FAI stuff, recruited Viconia, hoofed it to Beregost, did all the little things there, got Miriam's letter and the boots of stealth, killed Bassilus even, that scared me, and then I went to get the short sword +2. The knobgoblins got scared of my party, ran away, I gave chase, CHARNAME was ambushed by a ghast, held, dead in two hits. :rip:

:xcom: try again!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

(he thinks that it moved away from the D&D ideal they were building towards because as a player in D&D you have a character sheet and you're not supposed to build a party... Trent... what????).

He's right. NWN is the most social modern D&D computer game as a result!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Also modding the henchman limit is very easy and involves adding a single line to the startup scripts. The hard cap is 255 iirc. Why not take literally every npc with you?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Everything I read from or about Beamdog just makes me think of them as the "Everything That Can Go Wrong For Us, Will"-The Company. How on earth do they even stay open

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

You are probably right lol. It is old in many ways, albeit I do think there's a lot more depth to the combat/action RPG side than some people realise.
Maybe WoTC are also right in that nobody really wants 3rd edition/3.5e stuff nowadays.

I presume that the reason BD (says that they) invested a lot of money in a visual overhaul for the cancelled premium module is because base NWN looks pretty bad and they think that changing that, could change the extent of its wider appeal. Improved visuals obviously aren't a sure fire way to increase its appeal or anything, but maybe they could make a difference. Hell, even with significant upgrades we now have for it, it doesn't look anywhere near as good as modern games look, but still maybe there would be a decent-if-small-sized potential audience out there for a NWN with up-to-date visuals.

e:
Re the above, in case of interest to anyone who used to play NWN - a couple of random shot of our PWs that shows how the game looks with the visual improvements... kind of blows my mind lol:

Miles ahead of OG NWN visuals.

...ok also I can't resist posting this stuff, huge new community-made tilesets are still being produced for this 19-year-old game, it is ridiculous:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

DourCricket posted:

Everything I read from or about Beamdog just makes me think of them as the "Everything That Can Go Wrong For Us, Will"-The Company. How on earth do they even stay open
Double post but, honestly this is something I would like to know as well. I presume BG:EE and the rest of that (mobile versions?) sold really well?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Also modding the henchman limit is very easy and involves adding a single line to the startup scripts. The hard cap is 255 iirc. Why not take literally every npc with you?

I genuinely can't tell if this is a gimmick or not, tbh.

Also, IMHO NWN's life as a social game mostly comes down to the ease of setting up private worlds and the power of its toolset and its online suit, not the fact that you're arbitrarily limited to controlling one character + henchmen. NWN2 clearly suffered from having tools that were less reliable and more difficult to use, and for having online features that came in hot and late compared to its predecessor.

Those new 3D assets for NWN look... okay, but they don't seem to fully match together. Still neat to see the game updated to that degree though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

El Grillo posted:

Honestly I have felt from about 3 months after its launch that NWN2 can't be saved. That software was a gigantic mess at launch and it's really never been fixed. All the basic stuff; camera, UI, animations, the way areas and area transitions have to be made, hell even the visuals, it's almost ubiquitously bad.

I wished for ages that NWN2 would get fixed somehow but it hasn't been and I can't see it happening. NWN1 has the advantage of being an extremely solid game in terms of its core functionality. The real question to me would be whether some of the additional party features you'd like, could be added. I don't play single player much these days so I'm not even sure what it is about NWN1's henchman system that is lacking lol. Though I am sure it is lacking a lot - presumably, finer control over henchmen? Interestingly enough the DM client allows for directing groups of NPCs (with click and drag selection) etc, so there doesn't seem to be any real reason that sort of functionality couldn't be added to the single player game.

The problem with the henchman system is that that AI is poor and you're always going to have a gap in the skillset you're trying to cover. In my current playthrough, I'm using Daelen, the Barbarian henchman, to serve as the muscle for my Bard. However, I have issues with traps and locks. But if I took the rogue henchman, I'd basically lose all my offensive ability.

This kind of seeps into the encounter design as well, since I basically just use my bard song and let Daelan and a summoned Dire Bear delete all the enemies while I use my bow and cast dispel magic when needed.

I somewhat see Trent's point about how a party reduces the investment in the PC character, but I really don't think you can have a tactically interesting D&D game with just a PC and a henchman. I thought the party system was in fine in NWN2, but it also ran into the limitation of how rogues were the only class who could handle traps effectively, so you had to have one in the party or just tank the traps. That's more of a 3E systems issue though.

The narrative of NWN2 was firmly in the "okay" territory for me and the gameplay was fine except for a few gotcha points in the campaign if your PC didn't have much toe to toe combat ability (I was a single class rogue who had to dual into warrior).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Vargatron posted:

The problem with the henchman system is that that AI is poor and you're always going to have a gap in the skillset you're trying to cover.

This sums up perfectly what I don't like about NWN1.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah I definitely wouldn't play NWN1 with the base game's AI. It was rubbish.

FYI I think the most commonly used upgrade to henchman AI is Tony K's, FYI: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/henchman-inventory-battle-ai-mod

I haven't tried it but it gets talked about a lot.

Similarly, the base game's enemy AI is awful too, I wouldn't play without having custom AI to fight against. I think Tony K's system upgrades their AI too, though I use a different system for the spawns on our PW servers.

I agree also that these kinds of RPGs aren't really any good for solo'ing, be it online or in the single player campaigns. It is D&D after all.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 2, 2021

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I haven’t heard played NWN1 in forever but I remember my favorite method was playing a wizard, with a fairy familiar for lockpicking. Add the cleric for healing and undead turning, and you sail through a lot of the bullshit, especially if you abuse the resting mechanic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

You're probably thinking of Icewind Dale 2. I'm not sure why there hasn't been an Enhanced Edition for NWN2, although Beamdog's talked about wanting to move on from those projects, and also there's relatively less attachment because Trent Oster, their founder, worked on the original NWN but didn't work on NWN2 and considers it an inferior project for batshit reasons (he thinks that it moved away from the D&D ideal they were building towards because as a player in D&D you have a character sheet and you're not supposed to build a party... Trent... what????).

Nah, that tracks. IIRC, the Neverwinter Nights was originally designed to facilitate online D&D play with each player controlling one character (plus DMs), and the modules working as basically a game map. The pseudo-MUD online servers were the point and the fact that you could build single player campaigns was a bonus.

NWN2 is much more "Infinity Engine but 3d" with some (worse) map making stuff thrown in. As similar as they are, the second had a very different focus.

Lucas Archer posted:

I haven’t heard played NWN1 in forever but I remember my favorite method was playing a wizard, with a fairy familiar for lockpicking. Add the cleric for healing and undead turning, and you sail through a lot of the bullshit, especially if you abuse the resting mechanic.

I remember getting softlocked in the original NWN campaign because the one place they take away your ability to rest is between the two last boss fights (and there's no way to leave the area).

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 2, 2021

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio
Find it very odd that beamdog have Steam Cloud syncing turned off by default, at least in BGEE. What's the purpose? If it's listed as a feature in the store and there's no mention of it when saving.

(I'm grumpy at this because it led me to lose a lot of progress in my first run-through.)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

NWN2 deserves a remaster or update if only to make it easier for more people to play MotB

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They're working on something using UE4 related now. Hopefully not with WOTC!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Maenad posted:

Find it very odd that beamdog have Steam Cloud syncing turned off by default, at least in BGEE. What's the purpose? If it's listed as a feature in the store and there's no mention of it when saving.

(I'm grumpy at this because it led me to lose a lot of progress in my first run-through.)
Do you launch the game via a desktop shortcut? Doing that seems to disable all Steam-related features for me entirely, including steam Workshop content.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I genuinely can't tell if this is a gimmick or not, tbh.

Also, IMHO NWN's life as a social game mostly comes down to the ease of setting up private worlds and the power of its toolset and its online suit, not the fact that you're arbitrarily limited to controlling one character + henchmen. NWN2 clearly suffered from having tools that were less reliable and more difficult to use, and for having online features that came in hot and late compared to its predecessor.

Those new 3D assets for NWN look... okay, but they don't seem to fully match together. Still neat to see the game updated to that degree though.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I'm not saying henchman make the game social, but forcong you to have one character does force you to make parties in multiplayer. The henchman thing was just a fun aside. Just add this to the OnModuleLoad script of the module you want to play:

void main()
{
SetMaxHenchmen(100);
}

I double checked and the max is 100, which is still more than you could reasonably have in a game. What I like to do is add basic npcs like guards that you can recruit, or orcs so I can play an orcish warchief type without installing game breaking mods.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you're setting out to make a game that replicates "the tabletop experience" thennrestricting players to one character seems reasonable. I think they underestimated how antisocial the rpg fanbase is and in theirblater, single player oriented material it definitely held them back! But I can see where the guy is coming from is what I'm saying!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

NWN2 deserves a remaster or update if only to make it easier for more people to play MotB

NWN2 deserves a lot more, but it's not likely we'll see any of it. It's a great mid 2000s crpg that should've gotten the same level of success as KOTOR but was just too bug ridden for mass appeal.

With a handful of mods, a guide for running the stronghold, and some good character builds (3.5 is not newbie friendly in the slightest), the game is perfectly fine. The only weird issue is to always make new save files each time because there's a bug that corrupts save files when it's constantly being rewritten.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear, I'm not saying henchman make the game social, but forcong you to have one character does force you to make parties in multiplayer.

I think this is a non-problem, to be honest, and I'm not aware of people playing multiplayer in NWN2 by making multiple characters. Maybe in mods people did a Divinity: Original Sin thing and took control of multiple characters each? Which I think is perfectly fine for co-oping, although you run into the problem of the base campaigns not at all being designed for MP, with the possible exception of Storm of Zehir.

Also, IIRC the expansion in NWN gave you more henchmen to control, although you still don't actually control them in single-player, which is the real problem.

And now I'm suddenly remembering the fact that henchmen didn't even actually level-up but that the system behind the scenes just... gave you a different version of the character every few levels. :psyduck: I wasted my teenage years on Neverwinter Nights, it was a good game, but goddamn, it was weird.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I think this is a non-problem, to be honest, and I'm not aware of people playing multiplayer in NWN2 by making multiple characters. Maybe in mods people did a Divinity: Original Sin thing and took control of multiple characters each? Which I think is perfectly fine for co-oping, although you run into the problem of the base campaigns not at all being designed for MP, with the possible exception of Storm of Zehir.

Also, IIRC the expansion in NWN gave you more henchmen to control, although you still don't actually control them in single-player, which is the real problem.

And now I'm suddenly remembering the fact that henchmen didn't even actually level-up but that the system behind the scenes just... gave you a different version of the character every few levels. :psyduck: I wasted my teenage years on Neverwinter Nights, it was a good game, but goddamn, it was weird.

I'm not saying it's a problem! I just see where Trent Oster is coming from!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
NWN2 is without question one of the ugliest games I have ever played in my life. The attempt to move to something more quasi-realistic just made everything look hideous, like weird melty dolls.

At least NWN1 was cartoonish and had no pretenses of looking real.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If that's Oster's position, why did they remake the Infinity Engine games?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
NWN2 was very unfortunate in that it was made around the time where video game graphics had gotten really good at rendering realistic environments, but applying those same techniques to characters hadn't quite matured yet to the point where you could reliably avoid the uncanny valley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The NWN1 PRC has support for player-created henchmen as per the P&P rules (as the PRC usually does), but it's janky even by PRC standards and the AI is unchanged and so incapable of using 90% of PRC features.