Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I did find the ankheg plate and now I'm doing the nashkel mines and its a much better fit for the levels my party is at. However I'm all out of healing and to recover spells I need to rest, which causes a bunch of kobolds to attack, and I'm not sure what the best solution is for that issue. Right now I think the biggest danger is my weaker party members getting owned by enemies' ranged attacks and the only solution for that is to get them first.

Right now I'm using Neera and planning to replace her with Xan when I meet him down in the mines, but I don't know whether to keep Xan or Minsc and Dynaheir when I get to them. I can keep both but then I'd need to replace Jaheira with Branwen or Viconia (which I can easily do) but I'm not sure who I'd replace Khalid with. I would have 2 melee characters with my berserker MC and Minsc so that slot could be anything. Imoen's been pretty good for thief stuff but I haven't made any use of her backstab at all.

No big opinions on the party composition, but for the resting problem, and I'm sure this is too late, you can just save before trying to rest and reloading if kobolds spawn, it's random chance in the Nashkel mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

bike tory posted:

If you've got a druid, don't overlook the level 6 fire elemental summon spell too. The bear summons at the same level are good too :sickos:

The level 7 mage spell Mordenkainen's Sword is also very good, they're immune to physical damage.

Then once you get HLAs your mages can summon planetars, which can basically solo the game for you.

Mordenkainen’s Sword: aka, the Illithid Slayers.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is planescape torment okay to play on switch/android, or does it not really work? I've tried to start it a couple times on PC, but I have trouble sticking with it, because I prefer to play games like it on a couch or in bed.

I play all the IE games on Android for that exact reason. the only issue I've run into is that a very few of the clickable areas to open chests and the like are almost impossibly small, but that's not a common problem or one that's interfered with the story in any way that I remember.

it also mostly rules out mods, although someone upthread posted a tutorial on getting mods to work on Android.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I had no idea it was on switch and I'm very surprised by these reviews:

https://www.techradar.com/news/playing-baldurs-gate-on-nintendo-switch-has-revolutionized-the-game

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

JustJeff88 posted:

I would never play multiplayer, but I am sure that there are plenty of good SP mods and this sounds like a game where one is punished for buying the GOG version because there are tons of mods only available through Steam.

I believe most of the mods, and all of the most highly-rated ones, are also available on nexus.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Playing BG2, and getting into levels past 10, is making me really see why someone would have put up with playing a dual class or multi class in BG1. I'm perfectly happy with my medicore bard, but a beefy multi class sure would be nice now that my character levels are much less revolutionary and more just slight iterations on spell levels.

In particular, having a pure thief seems silly when you can just dual one at "good enough" levels and move on with your life.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

If you want to just play as a single class, sorcerer and a couple paladin kits do a good job of keeping you from feeling like you're behind the curve

Sorcerer gets just plain goofy powerful by the time wish enters the equation

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Single class bards are still very strong. You level faster than mages do, so your spells actually scale better. Skull trap on a single class Bard is insane. Your buffs also last long and are stronger. Good luck getting through a Bard's stoneskin.

That said, yeah nothing really beats the power of a dual classed Fighter/x. You gain so much for losing comparatively little.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Jack B Nimble posted:

Playing BG2, and getting into levels past 10, is making me really see why someone would have put up with playing a dual class or multi class in BG1. I'm perfectly happy with my medicore bard, but a beefy multi class sure would be nice now that my character levels are much less revolutionary and more just slight iterations on spell levels.

In particular, having a pure thief seems silly when you can just dual one at "good enough" levels and move on with your life.

I see your point, but it strikes me as bad design when one of the game's major mechanics is 'suck badly now to be great later'. Seems unbalanced.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, right, and as a chronic "play the first five chapters of BG1 several times in my life" player, I never saw the point. The perspective just gets a bit bigger now that I'm comfortable with imagining a complete playthrough.

These later levels do sort of exacerbate the problem of the pure thief and the pure fighter: you don't do anything someone else couldn't accomplish while ALSO having spells.

Speaking of, what are the recommended level 2 cleric spells? I like barkskin and after that ... gently caress if I know, I'd turn them into more cure light sounds if I could.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

Right, right, and as a chronic "play the first five chapters of BG1 several times in my life" player, I never saw the point. The perspective just gets a bit bigger now that I'm comfortable with imagining a complete playthrough.

These later levels do sort of exacerbate the problem of the pure thief and the pure fighter: you don't do anything someone else couldn't accomplish while ALSO having spells.

Speaking of, what are the recommended level 2 cleric spells? I like barkskin and after that ... gently caress if I know, I'd turn them into more cure light sounds if I could.

For Druids, there's not much in default bg. Slow Poison is really the only thing I like there. Maybe Charm Person but it's kinda hard to land.

For Clerics, slow poison, hold person, silence, and chant are the four spells I'd have memorized. Silence is fantastic against enemy clerics/druids as they'll typically have no defense against it, and it comes with a built-in minus 5(!) penalty to the save. It's less useful against mages who will often have spell protections up. Hold person is a fighter-ender against humanoid enemies it lands on.

If you're a multiclass fighter/cleric I'd also add Draw Upon Holy Might which will boost your hp/thaco. A single class Cleric will be a bit less interested in that spell since they don't get hp bonuses past 16 con and they're limited to one attack per round in melee and so aren't the best melee combatants.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm playing this run as a fighter/illusionist and I've been loving it the whole loving time. my only complaint so far is that elven chain is the same AC as a mage robe (5).

it occurs to be that going f/m/t to Use Any Item might be fun.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ginette Reno posted:

Slow Poison is really the only thing I like there.

For Clerics, slow poison, hold person, silence, and chant are the four spells I'd have memorized.

If you're a multiclass fighter/cleric I'd also add Draw Upon Holy Might which will boost your hp/thaco.

This has all pretty much been my own conclusion, yeah, but I like bouncing it off someone else, so thanks.

Also, I'd seen the save penalty on silence but hadn't really gotten around to using it, so I'll cram one in there.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Nope.
A high level Thief deletes wizard enemies, even non-kitted. Get an Assassin up and running and things start getting disgusting on the order of x7 Backstab multiplier by level 21.
Hell, the EEs introduce Shadowdancers, who can Backstab from hidden, Hide In Shadows in plain sight and Backstab once more. And then, if the next wizard is way over there, you can Shadowstep, run over while time is stopped, Hide In Shadows on the way and then Backstab your next squishy target. You only get up to x4 multiplier, but when you can do it over and over again who cares?

Sure, you get some of that utility with a multi-/dual-class, but not all of it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
A mage/thief with haste and mislead can backstab twice a round and never needs to worry about failing a stealth check. No single-class thief can match that.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I've been playing through the series for the first time on my XBox. Prior to this, I had finished BG1 twice, but never got far into 2.

At the moment, I've reached ToB(after also finishing Siege of Dragonspear), and while it's losing a bit of steam for me, I am fairly certain that this will be the time where I'll play throughout the entire saga, checking off an item that's been on my gaming bucket list for... well, twenty years.

Initially, I was skeptical that it would be playable, but it managed to capture and hold my interest. I've really been migrating more to playing games on the couch, and BG works just as well. Walking around with the joystick goes surprisingly smooth. Interacting during combat is a bit more cumbersome, in particular when having to select abilities or scrolling through the spells list. But it IS the entire experience, and it's definitely rewarding to slowly get to level 20.

I really don't mind if more games like this were ported. I already have Kingmaker ready in my queue once I am done with BG.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, my point was more that a dual class or multi class is going to be "good enough" at the things a pure class does, while also having spells.

It kind of boils down to the fact that a lot of the things a pure thief or warrior does is on a highly nuanced spectrum (can you pick this lock? What about with a boosting item? How about with a potion? Can you fight this monster with a weapon? What if you're super buffed?) whereas you either are, or are not, a spell caster.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Baron von der Loon posted:

I've been playing through the series for the first time on my XBox.

Interacting during combat is a bit more cumbersome, in particular when having to select abilities or scrolling through the spells list.

Are you using the scripted casting any? I turned it off ASAP on PC but I might welcome sub optimal automation on console.

Hell maybe I should even turn back on "will cast defensive spells" on PC because I am getting pretty tired of casting cure light wounds 10 times in a row.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How do folks feel about the Switch version of Baldurs Gate 1/2? And does the two pack come with all the expansions, SOD, and other Beamdog DLC?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

A mage/thief with haste and mislead can backstab twice a round and never needs to worry about failing a stealth check. No single-class thief can match that.

Mislead is a level 6 spell, so that's 750,000XP to reach (level 12); 1.5m if you're multi-classing, which is towards Chapter 6 in SoA.
You could dual from Thief, but if you want decent Backstab bonus, you'd have to wait until level 9, so now you're looking at 860,000XP. Which is more reasonable, but there'll be some gaps in your Thief skills and they'll never improve from there.

Or you could have a single-class Thief and have solid utility well before the SoD xp cap and utility that extends well beyond.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That’s right. You get Mislead at 1.5 million xp on a mage/thief, almost a million xp sooner than the assassin’s x7 backstab multiplier you were talking about. And as you say, you can get it even sooner on a dual-class, and you won’t have any gaps in your thief utility since you don’t have to spend any points on stealth skills. That assassin with only 15 thief skills per level won’t hit 100 in locks and traps for ages if he’s also trying to invest in hide and move silently.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can anyone please give me a hint as to what I should do after killing Lassal the vampire in the spike arena room? I don't see anywhere else to go and have no journal entries. I'm double checking the area now.

Edit - I found the room I needed to find, oh this going to be so satisfying. I'm so tired of this lady.

Edit - :argh:

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 9, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
D'Arnise nuts imho

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When is bard song worth using, like even assuming a party of 6, is +1 luck worth more than a humanoid turret shooting one crossbow bolt every round?

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I've personally never found bard songs to be worth compared to just having the bard cast spells or the blade attack with spins. Not even Skald's song or Enhanced Bard Song.

But I'm happy to be convinced otherwise if anyone has had better experiences.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Bard song is very useful in the early game because Horror can ruin your day. You don't always have the spell slots early in BG1 to give the party immunity to fear.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Servetus posted:

Bard song is very useful in the early game because Horror can ruin your day. You don't always have the spell slots early in BG1 to give the party immunity to fear.

Yeah I use(d) it when I'd either just know ahead of time that this particular spell caster was about to cause fear, or if fear hit some people but not my CHARNAME

I think with HLA it can stop other statuses and then I'll use it the same but more often.

Edit - It would be nice if my level 12 bard could counter act the various mental domination that is common in BG2 but it doesn't work like that!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Rythian posted:

I've personally never found bard songs to be worth compared to just having the bard cast spells or the blade attack with spins. Not even Skald's song or Enhanced Bard Song.

But I'm happy to be convinced otherwise if anyone has had better experiences.

It's not surprising that it's underwhelming. The player cannot do anything else while singing and there's no Lingering Song ability.

It's been a long time, but I remember bardsong in IWD2 being fantastic.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The improved bard song is pretty handy. Immunity to stun is huge.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I've been thinking about the adage "Use the party members you like," and I think with that in mind I want to use Minsc (and therefore Dynaheir), Branwen (viking cleric is a neat idea) and Xan (since he's funny). At least so far I've been using a mostly canon party (MC/Imoen/Jaheira/Khalid/Minsc/Temporary Neera) and I felt a little disappointed by the lack of banter, although I know that BG1 in general doesn't have a ton of that unless party members are conflicting with each other. I don't know if I'm missing something but Jaheira and Khalid seem a little boilerplate. I'll keep using Imoen since she's the childhood friend but it's a shame she doesn't get much characters stuff or even feel that thief-y since she was a late addition. Only worry is that this party is a little squishy.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Vanilla BG1 NPCs basically have no banter, and no interjections or comments on the storyline. I always download the BG1NPC Project mod to add some life to the party.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah there's not much there but personally I really like Khalid's nervous warrior bit.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's neat that he has worse morale than average, sucks for tanking though

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Watching Khalid saunter off into the woods with a yellow circle around his feet is a rite of passage.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Suspicious posted:

The improved bard song is pretty handy. Immunity to stun is huge.

To go in a bit more details:

The EE nerfed the poo poo out of stun prevention and what I like to call "workarounds" to being stunned.

In the original BG2/ToB, items that granted free movement on equip protected against stun, but temporary free movement (potions of freedom, spells) did not. The EE fixed this discrepancy by making ALL forms of free movement NOT protect against stun.

Then in the last patch, they nerfed the poo poo out of my stun "workarounds". You can no longer keep someone (namely, CHARNAME) alive by repeatedly using rods of resurrection for a free full heal at any range every time. The target must be dead for them to do anything now. These things were absolutely amazing for 2 decades and now they're almost useless.

The other "workaround" I used was greater restoration. In the original BG2/ToB, it was a party-wide full heal with the usual restoration benefits, at any range. Now it's a single target touch spell.

So basically now if CHARNAME gets stunned, I'm hosed. I gotta re-figure out how to play ironman in BG2EE.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
See also one of the earliest nerfs: The Stupifier. Originally 25% chance of stun for 1d4 rounds with NO SAVE lol.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The stupefier is an EE addition to begin with so they can nerf/remove it and I won't really care.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Now, when ya'll say "stun", that's what the actual status effect is called?

Also, I'm two decades late to the argument, but I was pretty disappointed when I encountered Illithids and said "so you eat brains eh? Try eating empty skulls, rear end in a top hat!" And then they ... did.

I mean the answer was still Skeletons, but just because they can't be mentally dominated and it doesn't matter if they all die.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Also, I'm two decades late to the argument, but I was pretty disappointed when I encountered Illithids and said "so you eat brains eh? Try eating empty skulls, rear end in a top hat!" And then they ... did.

I mean the answer was still Skeletons, but just because they can't be mentally dominated and it doesn't matter if they all die.

to the illithids, skeletons are just junk food made of empty cavities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The original Stupefier is amazing, and I am upset it isn't in BG2 :( There are good maces in 2 available, but you get most of 'em a little late, at least if you do the stronghold quests in chapter 2. And what is up with the mace you get from the Unseeing Eye quest? Who is this for? You have to kill a bunch of gauths and beholders to get it!

Jack B Nimble posted:

As friend Chaosapiant noted, the real answer to those loving Cthulhu-spawn wannabes are Mordenkainen's swords. Lots and lots of Mordenkainen's swords. (Also spam death spell in the general vicinity to destroy their umber hulk friends!)