Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

MrTheDevious posted:

Oh man BG2 is STUPID awesome fun. Barely out of the intro dungeon, found some sewers, died to a Raksasha, reloaded and smashed him, then met some sewer bandits I refused to give 1k gold to and they promptly obliterated me. Went back and coated the whole area in entangles and webs, then cloudkilled and spammed lightning and fireballs.

The only attack they got off was a disintegrate on Jahira and I just kept going since she was being a bitch anyway. So much sick loot :dance: Is there eventually a point where you can't cheese even really hard encounters just by laying down a ton of disables then spamming cloudkills and fireballs?

I am so envious you have no idea :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Selane posted:

Huh? Off the top of my head, Staff of the Magi, Crom Faeyr, and the improved Mace of Disruption are all +5. Nothing really requires +5 anyway, and very few things require +4.
Staff of the Magi has a +1 bonus (but is treated as +5 for damage immunity) and the improved Mace of Disruption is +2. I had misremembered regarding Crom Faeyr and thought it stayed a +3 weapon.

TINA TURNER posted:

What? There's the Satan Halberd, Ixil's Nail, and the Anti-Dragon Halberd. +6 weapons are rare, but that's because they're pretty bad when compared to two-weapon fighting :v:
Dragon's Bane is +3 against everything but dragons. But yes, improved Ravager, Ixil's Spike (and improved Staff of the Ram) are also +6 weapons.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Factor_VIII posted:

Staff of the Magi has a +1 bonus (but is treated as +5 for damage immunity) and the improved Mace of Disruption is +2. I had misremembered regarding Crom Faeyr and thought it stayed a +3 weapon.

Dragon's Bane is +3 against everything but dragons. But yes, improved Ravager, Ixil's Spike (and improved Staff of the Ram) are also +6 weapons.

Doesn't it stil lcount as +6 for overcoming immunities?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

TINA TURNER posted:

My mistake. Dragon's Bane is +6 damage vs. dragons; its to hit bonus stays +3 regardless of what it's hitting.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Hughlander posted:

Thinking about playing BG:EE again with an intention to play it through to BG2:EE. Trying to figure out what to play and I'm looking for suggestions.

My requirements:
- I want to do all the new quests so Dorn, Neera, Rasaad are required
- I want CHARNAME to be Overpowered
- Good Synergy in keeping overpoweredness in BG2.

Most fun I've had in the game is a K>M in BG2 but something like that seems really boring in BG1. I was thinking maybe F/T but not sure there either. Maybe Berserker>Cleric? Anyone have some fun and OP combos to play?

Dorn, Neera, Rasaad, Jeihara, Minsc was a party I was thinking of but I keep waffling.

One I've not seen suggested that would work well with that is Stalker dualled into Cleric at 9. Stealth is good enough to work reliably anywhere it's dark and x3 backstab multiplier makes for fun ambushes. If you want to go really crazy you could keep Stalker until 12/13 and be able to cast haste as well.

A Shadowdancer / nearly anything would be really good. Leveling Shadowdancer just enough to get hide to work almost all the time. Being able to disappear whenever you want is just hugely useful in so many circumstances. The backstab table is different in BG1:EE than BG2:EE for some reason. In BG1:EE Shadowdancers don't get backstab until lvl 8 and don't max out at x4 until 25! But when you import into BG2 you use the much saner table that gets backstab at 5 and maxes out at x4 at 13. A Shadowdancer dualled into mage at 9 or 10 for x3 backstab with all points spent into stealth would be super OP I expect. At least if you know how to use mages. I'm trying this right now but I find I just don't like using mages much due to how arbitrary enemy resistances/immunities seem to be. I feel like the game expects me to either have the monster manual memorized or suffer wasting spells constantly.

Selane
May 19, 2006

TINA TURNER posted:

A weapon can have different damage bonuses for different enemies, but only one enchantment level. Dragon's Bane is enchanted +3, Crom Faeyr, Staff of the Magi, and Mace of Disruption +2 are +5, and Ixil's Spike and The Ravager are +6. So is the Staff of the Ram, actually. Hit, damage, and enchantment don't necessarily have anything to do with each other.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Factor_VIII posted:

My mistake. Dragon's Bane is +6 damage vs. dragons; its to hit bonus stays +3 regardless of what it's hitting.

I thought those "count as +X against Y enemy" weapons were bugged to ALWAYS be +X, was that fixed in BGEE? I know it's part of the BGFixpack to be sure.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Selane posted:

A weapon can have different damage bonuses for different enemies, but only one enchantment level. Dragon's Bane is enchanted +3, Crom Faeyr, Staff of the Magi, and Mace of Disruption +2 are +5, and Ixil's Spike and The Ravager are +6. So is the Staff of the Ram, actually. Hit, damage, and enchantment don't necessarily have anything to do with each other.
Are you thinking of Dragon's Breath? That haldberd is +4. And where are you getting that the +2 Mace of Disruption strikes as a +5 weapon for damage immunity? It doesn't say that in its description.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Ughh I can't remember all the inconsistent rules about damage and enchantments.

Factor_VIII posted:

Are you thinking of Dragon's Breath? That haldberd is +4. And where are you getting that the +2 Mace of Disruption strikes as a +5 weapon for damage immunity? It doesn't say that in its description.

That's like, a well known fact, maan

Selane
May 19, 2006

Factor_VIII posted:

Yeah, that's the problem, the descriptions are not very informative(or correct at all, in some cases). If you look at the actual item files with an editor/viewer you will see the whole story. Or you could just test it out yourself ingame.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm in the minority here, but I really like the interplay between Keldorn/Anomen if they're in the party together. My preferred BG2 party (I like a bit of everything in my groups) with, say, a Blade PC is Blade/Jaheira/Anomen/Keldorn/Jan/Edwin. While the triggers are utterly hosed, the Jaheira romance is pretty deep and relatively well done - it's definitely the best of the three male PC romances. Viconia's is too... carnal? for lack of a better term (though with a touching denouement) and Aerie just makes me want to punch everything in the world at the same time.

Believe it or not, the Enhanced Edition managed to successfully unfuck the Jaheira Romance. I'm still in shock at seeing this romance play out without me needing to CLUAConsole poo poo.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Factor_VIII posted:

It doesn't say it in the description, but it's true. The MoD +1 is +3 for immunity purposes and the MoD +2 is +5 for immunity purposes. You can look them up in Near Infinity yourself if you want (BLUN12 and BLUN25).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well I couldn't figure out how to beat Sarevok on sword coast strategems so I just uninstalled that and finished the game. My main problem was the mages with him spawn in buffed to all hell and even with Edwin's spell thrusts I couldn't seem to dispel them fast enough to take them out. Plus they always spam remove magic on me which kills my buffs and after that they spam confusion or chaos. game over. I'm curious what I could have done about all these save or suck spells. Sure there are pots of clarity but not a ton of them and in any case I'm fairly certain those potions can be dispelled. Chaotic commands is a 5th level spell and so not available in bg1 if you're playing under the cap.

I'll probably try strategems again in bg2 as I mostly enjoyed it but I dunno maybe I won't allow enemies to use the pre buff thing this time. That poo poo gets a little crazy and turns every fight into a dispel fest which more often than not the computer wins due to the higher level of most enemy casters.

I'm curious what the hell I could even do about the computer's love of using dispel under SCS in bg2. They love to do that and then spam save or suck spells in bg1, and I doubt bg2 will be much different. In bg2 I will have chaotic commands, but that can still be dispelled. I guess spell immunity is my only real defense against such a tactic? That seems kinda tough since that's a level 5 spell and iirc is self cast only leaving your other party members at the mercy of dispels. I tried in bg1 to use invisibility to disrupt the targeting of the computer's spells but even with invis their dispels still seemed to hit me every time. I guess going invis doesn't disrupt the cast of their spell, even though I'm pretty sure it works that way for me so i guess the computer just cheats.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Vigilance posted:

Well I couldn't figure out how to beat Sarevok on sword coast strategems so I just uninstalled that and finished the game. My main problem was the mages with him spawn in buffed to all hell and even with Edwin's spell thrusts I couldn't seem to dispel them fast enough to take them out. Plus they always spam remove magic on me which kills my buffs and after that they spam confusion or chaos. game over. I'm curious what I could have done about all these save or suck spells. Sure there are pots of clarity but not a ton of them and in any case I'm fairly certain those potions can be dispelled. Chaotic commands is a 5th level spell and so not available in bg1 if you're playing under the cap.

I'll probably try strategems again in bg2 as I mostly enjoyed it but I dunno maybe I won't allow enemies to use the pre buff thing this time. That poo poo gets a little crazy and turns every fight into a dispel fest which more often than not the computer wins due to the higher level of most enemy casters.

I'm curious what the hell I could even do about the computer's love of using dispel under SCS in bg2. They love to do that and then spam save or suck spells in bg1, and I doubt bg2 will be much different. In bg2 I will have chaotic commands, but that can still be dispelled. I guess spell immunity is my only real defense against such a tactic? That seems kinda tough since that's a level 5 spell and iirc is self cast only leaving your other party members at the mercy of dispels. I tried in bg1 to use invisibility to disrupt the targeting of the computer's spells but even with invis their dispels still seemed to hit me every time. I guess going invis doesn't disrupt the cast of their spell, even though I'm pretty sure it works that way for me so i guess the computer just cheats.
For Sarevok, you dump all those potions of magic immunity and magic resistance you've been hoarding all game.

In BG2 you abuse Spell Immunity:Abj as much as possible, otherwise re-cast the key buffs mid fight like haste. Chaos is something you want to deal with in gear or sometimes just eat it. Some fights are hard enough that use the potions of magic resistance and hope for the best. Save immunity for the absolute hardest of fights like a particular lich.

[e] But yeah as you can tell, your difficulty in SCS2 scales in proportion to how many /Mage classes you pack.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 27, 2013

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

The first time I played BG I had to kite Sarevok around while the party pin cushioned him with arrows… for a really long time. In my mind Yakety Sax was playing in the background. On the playthrough I just finished with BGEE, I froze him with the wand of paralysation before he got a hit in and sent the lumberjacks to work. That wand works a little too well.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I inadvertently cheesed my BGEE Sarevok fight, managed to just get him and Tazok to tango while the rest of the dweebs sat in the back doing nothing. For whatever reason it seemed like his magic resistance had lessened since the dukes-and-doppelgängers fight, and taking him out was surprisingly easy with two mages in the party.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I swear I've died more times in BG:EE to wild surge lightning bolt in tight corridors than anything else in the game. I know it's usually the big wild surges that are funny but lightning bolt is quickly flying up my list.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Glimpse posted:

The first time I played BG I had to kite Sarevok around while the party pin cushioned him with arrows… for a really long time. In my mind Yakety Sax was playing in the background. On the playthrough I just finished with BGEE, I froze him with the wand of paralysation before he got a hit in and sent the lumberjacks to work. That wand works a little too well.

The three big wands - monster summoning, fire, and paralysation - are pretty much the king items in BG1. Fire is amazing AoE, Paralysation might as well be a wand of single-target death, as the effect lasts so long and is so hard to save against, and Monster Summoning is, of course, wonderful in every way. Fear, cold, lightening and missile are terrible in comparison - the fear wand in particular feels like it should have a stronger effect, as targets that fail against horror often seem to save against the wand.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I just installed a patch/update but can't see patch notes anywhere... anyone know what they changed?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

It was mostly bug fixes. No major content changes. If you have any mods I'd re-install them.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Captain Oblivious posted:

Believe it or not, the Enhanced Edition managed to successfully unfuck the Jaheira Romance. I'm still in shock at seeing this romance play out without me needing to CLUAConsole poo poo.

I thought that I had heard that mentioned somewhere else - thanks for confirming it. That romance was artistically respectable but functionally retarded.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone tried shadowdancer dual to like mage? seems like it would be good.

Plain Bagels
Sep 13, 2008
Can someone explain how to use dragomir's respite when hexxat dies? Maybe I'm retarded but she just flies over to my PC then dies. I'm really enjoying her character other than not being able to figure out this mechanic.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Plain Bagels posted:

Can someone explain how to use dragomir's respite when hexxat dies? Maybe I'm retarded but she just flies over to my PC then dies. I'm really enjoying her character other than not being able to figure out this mechanic.

Yep, she resurrects for free after a rest (shes in her casket which is inside a bag of holding since vampires cant be killed except for the stake in the heart deal and a few other methods).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

caleramaen posted:

It was mostly bug fixes. No major content changes. If you have any mods I'd re-install them.

Which was patched? BG2EE or BG1EE? And do we have a list of the bugs fixed?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

kingcom posted:

Yep, she resurrects for free after a rest (shes in her casket which is inside a bag of holding since vampires cant be killed except for the stake in the heart deal and a few other methods).

Or one hour of in-game time (possibly two? Its short anyway).

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Factor_VIII posted:

I disagree. I think greatswords are a very good option even without Carsomyr. In BG1 you can find a +1 greatsword on a bandit close to Nashkel and later get Spider's Bane in Cloakwood and a +3 one in Durlag's Tower. In BG2 you get the Sword of Chaos in Irenicus' dungeon, Lilarcor in the Slums and can later can get the Silver Sword. And ToB has Gram the Sword of Grief. Greatswords are a very strong option even for non-Paladins.

So me and my buddy making a paladin and a fighter for multiplayer as our mains wasn't a super terrible idea?

He originally specialized in bastard swords, but changed to two-handed swords when I told him it'd be a better choice, but I mainly remembered that because of the Holy Avenger.

Since I specialized as a half-elf fighter with points in sword and shield and longswords, what would you recommend I do (I do sort of act as his guide, even if he's usually our voice due to high charisma) so we both stay within relatively close power level-wise?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Mordaedil posted:

So me and my buddy making a paladin and a fighter for multiplayer as our mains wasn't a super terrible idea?

He originally specialized in bastard swords, but changed to two-handed swords when I told him it'd be a better choice, but I mainly remembered that because of the Holy Avenger.

Since I specialized as a half-elf fighter with points in sword and shield and longswords, what would you recommend I do (I do sort of act as his guide, even if he's usually our voice due to high charisma) so we both stay within relatively close power level-wise?

Play the game. Paladin and Fighter are basically equal in power level.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Piell posted:

Play the game. Paladin and Fighter are basically equal in power level.

I've never played a pure Fighter. What advantage does straight fighter have over a Paladin with same stats?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Fighters level faster and get grandmastery (which is better in EE than in the regular version), Paladins get a bunch of minor stuff and have the best kits (you can't go wrong with any Paladin kit).

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

BadAstronaut posted:

I've never played a pure Fighter. What advantage does straight fighter have over a Paladin with same stats?

Slightly faster level progression, grandmastery and the option to dual class, if human.

Factor_VIII posted:

I disagree. I think greatswords are a very good option even without Carsomyr. In BG1 you can find a +1 greatsword on a bandit close to Nashkel and later get Spider's Bane in Cloakwood and a +3 one in Durlag's Tower. In BG2 you get the Sword of Chaos in Irenicus' dungeon, Lilarcor in the Slums and can later can get the Silver Sword. And ToB has Gram the Sword of Grief. Greatswords are a very strong option even for non-Paladins.

And Carsomyr 50% Magic Resistance is really good and it also has has an additional 5 damage bonus to chaotic evil opponents and the fact you can dispel by just hitting things means you don't have to spend time casting instead of attacking. Not to mention the fact it's the only +5 weapon in SoA (other than the Sling of Everard) and only +6 weapon in ToB. Maybe other weapons can be situationally useful, e.g. the Psion's Blade against Illithids, but Carsomyr is a great default weapon.

There's also 3 NPCs with greatsword proficiencies in BG2. 50% magic resistance is a nice bonus but certainly never critical (and really can't be: if you're really worried about getting hit by a spell, 50% isn't enough of a guarantee - you want specific immunities) and while it does give bonus damage against evil enemies, it's not going to outdamage a strong dual-wield combo. +5/+6 isn't really all that meaningful. Inquisitor dispel has either instant cast or cast time of 1, but in either case it's certainly fast enough to not matter at all, except when you'd like to use your cast action for the round for something else (eg. drinking a potion).

Note, I'm not saying: "Don't use Carsomyr." I'm saying you should use other weapons too, and not feel tied down to that specific weapon just because you happened to roll a paladin. There's really no reason why you couldn't for example just take a single proficiency point in two-handed swords and only use Carsomyr for dispelling mages' protections and fighting Kangaxx.

verybad fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 27, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
And no alignment or race restrictions, if for any reason that factors in.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Can I get some tips on fighting TorGal? I got my old saves working now and I am still stuck at this fight. The only real buffs I have right now are Bless and Protection From Evil and both seem to do very little because the Trolls just shred through any one of my guys and we take forever to do damage. I think I've only managed to kill one troll in the 5 tries I just did.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Do you have a mage? Cast slow (level 3) on them. This will significantly drop their attack power and make them easier to hit.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Scent of Worf posted:

Can I get some tips on fighting TorGal? I got my old saves working now and I am still stuck at this fight. The only real buffs I have right now are Bless and Protection From Evil and both seem to do very little because the Trolls just shred through any one of my guys and we take forever to do damage. I think I've only managed to kill one troll in the 5 tries I just did.

Do you have access to Glitterdust/Slow/Haste? Glitterdust is a no save blind for 4 rounds, Slow destroys melee fighters if they don't make the save and Haste is probably the best buff ever. What's your party composition?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
My main guy is a half-orc (I think) Barbarian who is dual wielding axes, I have Minsc, of course, with a two handed sword, Yoshimo with a bow and some fire arrows, the girl mage from that awesome circus quest and a dark elf cleric I helped back in the city. Oh and also a druid elf woman.

The circus mage has slow but I am not sure if it is level 3.. would it still work?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does Shadowkeeper still screw up ThAC0 and such when changing a character's class? I tweaked Khalid to F/M for some dumb reason, and uninstalling that component doesn't revert him back even if I load a save before meeting him.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Scent of Worf posted:

The circus mage has slow but I am not sure if it is level 3.. would it still work?

It is level 3, that's its spell level. I specified it so you wouldn't have to check every page of your mage's spellbook.

The fight should be much easier if you use it. You'll know if it worked by the white effect on the trolls and their sudden decrease in movement speed. If it didn't, reload or cast it again (assuming you memorized another cast of it).

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hey is shadowdancer backstab broken? With a 3x backstab modifier I was getting backstabs for 8, 11, 11 damage etc.. When my normal damage is listed at 7-11 damage. It said backstab for triple damage in the combat log but was still only doing 11 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
What were you hitting? Some monsters have damage resistances.