Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

cigaw posted:

That may very well be the case with Siege of Dragonspear; at least in this particular instance. I don't really like losing the HD, Thac0 and especially the proficiency when dualling at 7.

I like removing the level cap in BG2, but as I generally don't run any mods I find that encounters don't scale very well when removing the level cap in BG1 (and possibly Siege of Dragonspear). This may be a case of confirmation bias, though.

In any case, thanks for the replies, guys. Certainly appreciated!

Whatever works best for you. Last time I played through BG1EE, I ended up naturally about one level above where the cap would have locked me out. I wanted my cleric and druid to be able to have level 5 spells, and this was well before Dragonspear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
SOD is perfect to end up at kensai 7 / thief 8 too. It's almost as if they set the level cap to work best for a dual at 7 for fighter / whatever because getting to 10 in your second class is such a goddamn slog when you dual at 9.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
What? The SoD cap is 500,000. Kensai 7 / Thief 8 only takes 134,000 xp. You can easily make that with the non-SoD cap of 161,000.

The dual-classes that can get their original class back in SoD when you dual at 9 are Fighter>Druid, Fighter>Thief, Fighter>Mage, Thief>Mage, Cleric>Thief, Cleric>Mage, and Mage>Thief. If you're soloing SoD, it doesn't take long to hit the cap at all. I got there about halfway through the dwarf lich side-quest which is quite early on.

For the others, (Fighter>Cleric, Ranger>Cleric, Thief>Fighter, Thief>Cleric, Druid>Fighter, Cleric>Fighter, Mage>Fighter, Mage>Cleric, just for the sake of completeness) you have to dual at 7 or 8, whichever is your preference.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 27, 2017

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah I'm dumb, not sure what I was thinking. It's perfect for 9/10. I think I was thinking about 13/14 for that extra half attack or whatever.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remove dual class from the videogame.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
does siege of dragonspear get you anything beyond a couple extra levels at the start of bg2? If I hit the xp cap in SoD I'd just export and go onto BG2.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Some SoD items transfer over to BG2:

https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/4gfv40/locations_of_sod_items_in_bg2ee/

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Did the EE fix the bug where Haste would only give you half an attack if your base attack wasn't a full number?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
If I wanted to play a monk in bg2 but use same character from bg1 how would I go about it? Save edit - and how likely is that to break things?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Innerguard posted:

If I wanted to play a monk in bg2 but use same character from bg1 how would I go about it? Save edit - and how likely is that to break things?

???? What? There's an import feature dog, everyone imports from bg1

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

???? What? There's an import feature dog, everyone imports from bg1

I think he means what should he do to avoid actually playing a monk in bg1 because they suck so bad at low levels.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
what he's maybe asking is can i change the class of a character with a save editor. you can, but it will break a lot of poo poo, like for example saving throws, special abilities etc.

instead make a new character with the same name, then give him the same exp and stats your bg1 character had. let the game calculates the correct values for your monk, no need to do it yourself.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 8, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Changing a character with EEKeeper isn't all that difficult and it doesn't mess anything up if you do it right - I made a post earlier in this thread that explains how to do it for a much more complicated dual class transition if you dare to look through my post history.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you want to make the character a monk it's not playing the same character though? Why not just start a monk in BG2 and give it the same name? If you want to keep the handful of items that transfer over, just cheat them into the game

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Entropy238 posted:

Changing a character with EEKeeper isn't all that difficult and it doesn't mess anything up if you do it right

My post history will confirm that I am dumb as hell and even I can use EEKeeper without loving stuff up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Innerguard posted:

Like everyone says, just create a new character, if there's an item you want to import or you don't want to lose the bonuses from the stat tomes, or experience points, use EEKeeper with your new character, (or Shadowkeeper if you're kicking it old school).

If you're worried about there being any story flags from one game to the next like some modern RPGs have, there aren't. NPCs who died in BG1 will still show up in BG2 whether you import or not, often with the option of saying "weren't you dead last time we met?"

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Entropy238 posted:

Changing a character with EEKeeper isn't all that difficult and it doesn't mess anything up if you do it right - I made a post earlier in this thread that explains how to do it for a much more complicated dual class transition if you dare to look through my post history.

still, it's something you have to be careful to do right. making a new character and maybe adding exp and stats is a lot simpler and achieves the same result.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dyna Soar posted:

still, it's something you have to be careful to do right. making a new character and maybe adding exp and stats is a lot simpler and achieves the same result.

Yeah, it's something I'd only gently caress around with if I wanted to change character class mid game.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Whatever you're more confident with I suppose. I don't like the idea of starting a brand new char both for spergy reasons and because you'll miss some of the carryover stuff from SoD to SoA.

Then again you're changing your whole character class anyway so :shrug:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

Did the EE fix the bug where Haste would only give you half an attack if your base attack wasn't a full number?

I just tested it. Still not fixed.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Is there a website where people upload their save files for any of the infinity engine games?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Suspicious posted:

I just tested it. Still not fixed.

Thanks for testing it. I guess the issue must be rooted in the engine itself if they still haven't managed to fix it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

Thanks for testing it. I guess the issue must be rooted in the engine itself if they still haven't managed to fix it.

Probably. They had to do unholy things to the game to fix the two-handed equipping bug for SoD.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Molybdenum posted:

Is there a website where people upload their save files for any of the infinity engine games?

GameFAQs used to host save files for games in general, you might try there. Seems like a weird thing to want for a game that has save state editors though

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blood Nightmaster posted:

GameFAQs used to host save files for games in general, you might try there. Seems like a weird thing to want for a game that has save state editors though

If it's Icewind Dale he probably wants a save that doesn't involve playing through the prolog and all that undead poo poo in the next area.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I guess I meant character files, not full saves. Just curious to see what others play besides the obvious drizzt knockoffs.

Edit:. I'm playing through bgee all the way to ToB, current run is a level 9 berserker into cleric and I'm running an all woman team. Currently CHARNAME, neera and mazzy (I grabbed yoshimo to get that sweet million xp) and I'm rushing to spellhold to pick up imoen. I usually use chapter 2 to do every side quest in the game, including watchers keep so this feels a lot different than my past runs.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 16, 2017

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I hope there is someone out there making a mod about busting Caelar out of hell at ToB levels. Or even better just straight up doing what she said her plan was in SoD and leaving her behind. I'm sure she would be really psyched to see MC, Imoen and Sarevok... Either way just totally showing her up and being a smug gently caress about it. :getin:

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 19, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm assuming the viability of a fighter/thief in BG2 is "very". I want to play a thief mans but doing a regular thief seems like it would be very fragile.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vargatron posted:

I'm assuming the viability of a fighter/thief in BG2 is "very". I want to play a thief mans but doing a regular thief seems like it would be very fragile.

yes, especially if you go like kensai/thief

and then in tob you get "use any item"

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
A multi-classed Fighter/Thief is pretty much a Thief, except competent.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I've been having fun soloing a Fighter/Mage/Thief on Insane. Still very squishy, but you get better proficiencies and spells help with survival. Don't face tank anything, hit and run backstabs are your friend and spamming wands of fire helps with large groups.

Also, just killed Aec'Letec with two backstabs. :getin:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

does anyone remember what it was like playing BG1 before BG2 came out?

did people mod in a higher level cap in lieu of not having another game? did rpg people really go insane for bg1 like I think they did

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

did people mod in a higher level cap in lieu of not having another game? did rpg people really go insane for bg1 like I think they did

http://www.geocities.ws/sephiroth172/BaldursGateDownloads.html

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The release and success of BG1 was a huge loving deal back in the day. It basically brought the computer fantasy RPG genre back from the dead.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Oh yeah, I remember. I actually bought my copy from a friend who didn't really like the game. This was one of the best purchases I ever made - proven by the fact I'm still playing this dumb game to this day.

I distinctly remember my first few playthroughs and how massive the game was. I was amazed you could do so much exploration without following the plot. The game was pretty, the story was cool and I liked the character creation part of it. I also remember when TotSC came out and I suddenly could GAIN MORE EXPERIENCE, how cool was that! Rangers could even fake-dual-wield (by not equipping a shield they gained an extra attack)! All those deaths to wolves outside of Candlekeep did not prepare me for Durlag's Tower.

I never really felt the need for an XP Cap remover for BG1. I'm frankly not sure if the game engine would be able to handle too many levels. My understanding is that there wasn't much of a mod community before BG2. It is also possible I was never involved/interested enough to find out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I remember on the official Bioware forums back in the day there was someone who kept playing through BG1 and re-importing their character until they had 25s in every stat through using the stat books, I don't think they were using a level uncapper or any other mods.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
No mods that i remember, but i was def floored. I was reading fantasy books back then and this was the firts game that really felt like you were in those books for me

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Skwirl posted:

I remember on the official Bioware forums back in the day there was someone who kept playing through BG1 and re-importing their character until they had 25s in every stat through using the stat books, I don't think they were using a level uncapper or any other mods.

I had a character which I ran down to the flesh golem cave and grabbed the CON tome until hitting 25 before playing the rest of the game. Seemed like a good idea when I was 11. Might even have posted about it on the forums.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I think the dark tales of the sword coast mod came out before BG2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

sebzilla posted:

I had a character which I ran down to the flesh golem cave and grabbed the CON tome until hitting 25 before playing the rest of the game. Seemed like a good idea when I was 11. Might even have posted about it on the forums.

I'm pretty sure the person I'm thinking of beat the game every time. Having a 25 in every stat was just a side effect of playing through the game with the same character over and over, not an actual goal.