Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
As far as PS:T goes, I'd say just give yourself full stats and pretend like stats don't exist at all. This has been said over and over again, but it's an adventure game disguised as an RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

As far as PS:T goes, I'd say just give yourself full stats and pretend like stats don't exist at all. This has been said over and over again, but it's an adventure game disguised as an RPG.

Part of the fun (for me) is finding all the stat gains and getting that sense of progression for your character. That said, do whatever you want~

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Playing through Dragonspear, this time with Corwin in my party, and in every conversation we have my options are either to be kind of a dismissive jerk or a total lech. Why can't we just be bros :sigh:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

To get the most out of PS:T's story, the general recommendation is to max out WIS, INT and CHA, in that order.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Fruits of the sea posted:

Playing through Dragonspear, this time with Corwin in my party, and in every conversation we have my options are either to be kind of a dismissive jerk or a total lech. Why can't we just be bros :sigh:

I thought exactly the same. There needs to me more 'lets be friends!' responses in games in general

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

netcat posted:

Part of the fun (for me) is finding all the stat gains and getting that sense of progression for your character. That said, do whatever you want~

Thank you~

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 23, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm liking Icewind Dale II a lot so far, except for the Fell Wood. Thanks for putting in a tedious maze in the middle of the game.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

If it makes you feel any better, none of us were happy with how that turned out. The designer had much better/more interesting ideas for the maze, but technical problems prevented them from being realized.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

gender illusionist posted:

I thought exactly the same. There needs to me more 'lets be friends!' responses in games in general

This is why I have a soft spot for the NPC Project mod (with romances turned OFF) and a couple of the friendship mods for the Baldur's Gate series. The writing is spotty, but it's nice to be able to just chill and chat with my team of murder hobos.

Since Ropekid is reading, I just want to say that Eder and Sagani are a great example of "friend" npcs. PoE never grabbed me as a whole, but they were awesome adventuring buddies. Wish I could take them into other games.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm playing Icewind Dale 1 for the first time in years and I've forgotten so much. I think I remember there are unique items related to mini-quests that are not labeled as such so I'm dragging around a bunch of necklaces and a drat skull

Kuldahar is a pain in the rear end to get around in and the vendors are all picky about what they'll buy

Decision to go heavy on bows is working out so far though

Edit: Turn Undead isn't doing anything whether my Paladin or Cleric use it but maybe they need to level up more

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 24, 2018

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Thanks thread, you have convinced me to play IWD & IWD2. Guess I'll look for the next Steam sale.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

TotalLossBrain posted:

Thanks thread, you have convinced me to play IWD & IWD2. Guess I'll look for the next Steam sale.

Don't use any kits or extra special classes in the first play through. The game is really well balanced around the original classes and kits just makes it way easy.

I think my first party was paladin, bard, cleric, druid, fighter/thief, wizard.

Washout fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 24, 2018

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just wanted to mention that the iOS versions of the four IE games mentioned in the title of this thread are currently on sale for 5 USD a pop; I cannot confirm the Android versions as I do not have such a device. Note that BG1 and 2 have some DLC which is not included.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I haven't seen this discussed recently, what is the verdict on the tablet versions? Is the game playable without a mouse and without the console/ctrl+J ?

They are on sale for Android too btw

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 26, 2018

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

bike tory posted:

I haven't seen this discussed recently, what is the verdict on the tablet versions? Is the game playable without a mouse and without the console/ctrl+J ?

They are on sale for Android too btw

I tried it over the holidays. Without the ability to rotate the party it's a nightmare to navigate tight spaces, and having to click on the pause button instead of mashing space requires extensive use of autopause. If you use hotkeys to select party members and quickslot spells and items you're going to have some trouble adjusting, and I never figured out how to draw a selection box. I also had some issues with characters not doing anything after I told them to which led to a couple unnecessary deaths, but that might have me being dumb and tired.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
A friend of mine has played all the android IE games for hundreds of hours, so they are playable for sure. He plays with basically all of the autopause options on, so it's more like a turn based game. The battles take forever but I guess it doesn't matter when you're on the bus or w/e.

The game tends to be a bit slower though since as the poster above me said the UI is worse and since the screen is smaller you have to zoom in and out and scroll around more.

netcat posted:

Yeah, it's a bummer you lose that part of the game if you cheat your stats to full, but as fun as getting stat gains is it's not worth all the meta IMO.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 26, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dyna Soar posted:

A friend of mine has played all the android IE games for hundreds of hours, so they are playable for sure. He plays with basically all of the autopause options on, so it's more like a turn based game. The battles take forever but I guess it doesn't matter when you're on the bus or w/e.

The game tends to be a bit slower though since as the poster above me said the UI is worse and since the screen is smaller you have to zoom in and out and scroll around more.

Yeah, it's a bummer you lose that part of the game if you cheat your stats to full, but as fun as getting stat gains is it's not worth all the meta IMO.

If he's on a full sized tablet size of icons isn't an issue (something close to the size of an OG Ipad, or bigger), but yeah you need to abuse the hell out of autopause options for any of the serious fights. If you're on a ipad mini or one of the oversized "phablet" phones it would be a pain but probably doable. On a phone you could comfortably play other games one handed, loving impossible.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Yeah he has a phablet. Biggest screened phone available at the time and it has a pen, so ok for playing a game like BG. The screen is still way too small for my taste but it's def. playable.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 26, 2018

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah he has a phablet. Biggest screened phone available at the time and it has a pen, so ok for playing a game like BG. The screen is still way too small for my taste but it's def. playable.

I have a Tesco Hudl 2 Android tablet and have played through BG:EE on it and started playing IWD:EE over Christmas at my parents house. Its a pretty decent tablet and the games run fine. Its fairly easy to control with your finger but the stylus makes it better. They are enormous battery hogs though (like most games on Android it seems) so playing it for 8 hours straight on a flight doesn't seem particularly viable.

Like the poster above, it is much better if you tweak all the auto-pause options as it is more fiddly to click and drag multiple party members. You find yourself giving out individual commands, even for trash encounters where you could just drag select all and pummel gibberlings to death. For IWD I actually use a 4 man party just to reduce the amount of micromanagement.

I can't see myself enjoying PST:EE on my tablet because the worst part is trying to read the small text and frequently I find that I smush the wrong option. Its not a problem in Baldur's Gate really, less so in Icewind Dale but absolutely critical in Planescape Torment.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ok I went ahead and picked up BG for my (4 year old) android tablet. Im pleasantly surprised tbh. It runs really well and looks good - I don't find myself having to zoom at all. I found I have to use Auto pause when a target dies, but beyond that I don't have any settings different. Obviously it's not as comfortable as playing with mouse and keyboard because I have to hold the tablet, but other than that it's been fine.

e: the stats needed for fighter->druid DC came up earlier, and the barrier of having to roll them up...

Took me about 15 minutes, and that included accidentally rerolling a 92 which I would've been happy with too.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 26, 2018

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
If you see any Mind Flayers, RUN!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

If you see any Mind Flayers, RUN!

It's ok I'll have fire elementals and mountain bears to tank them by then.

tbh I didn't actually thought of that, I probably should've gone with 17 cha/con so I could get to 6 int with the tome and at least survive one mindflayer drain.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 27, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Not being able to use scrolls and wands would bother me more than the Mindflayers, to be honest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Not being able to use scrolls and wands would bother me more than the Mindflayers, to be honest.

He should be able to use any scrolls or wands a fighter/druid with 18 intelligence could use.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I just can't play the game with a 3 INT character. 8 is my minimum.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Skwirl posted:

He should be able to use any scrolls or wands a fighter/druid with 18 intelligence could use.

I don't get it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't get it.

I assume they mean Fighter/druids have gently caress all scrolls and wands they can use. It's like, wand of heavens and maybe the one cure wounds scroll you get at some point.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 27, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bike tory posted:

I assume they mean Fighter/druids have gently caress all scrolls and wands they can use. It's like, wand of heavens and maybe the one cure wounds scroll you get at some point.

All the green protection scrolls are universal, as are rods of resurrection and breach, but yeah, a vast majority of scrolls and wands are wizard only. I don't think they have a minimum intelligence either, so while I can't remember if a wizard gets his Internet drained whether they can still cast spells, they should be able to still use wands.

Potion of genius is a possible solution to Mind Flayers, but those might be wizard only.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
The game does punish you once or twice for having the stats of an idiot.

They're very VERY rare but there are one or two stat-checks in the BG series.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Minsc can't use green scrolls. Fortunately most of them let you select a target (so someone else can use them on Minsc) but not all.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I never could play with stats like that either, hah. Hurts mah immersion! I'd rather just shadowkeep my stats to what I want than re-roll for 15 minutes and then min-max like that.

I wish someone would make a point buy stats mod for the IE games.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
If you want to point buy, you can just ctrl-8 and remove however many points you want from your stats.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Not on Android!

Also ctrl+8 gives you 18/00 strength which feels a bit more like cheating than rerolling for ages or using shadow keeper for certain stats. At least my dumb-as-a-rock fighter druid only has a carry weight of 220 until I get that sweet str tome

Fighter-druid is basically the only combo that I min-max like this for, because it's one of the most ridiculous requirements. Why the gently caress druids have a 17 min for charisma is anyone's guess. Isn't a single class druid a 14 min for cha? Dual classing is a stupid and illogical mechanic and I'm glad they got rid of it.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 27, 2018

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

bike tory posted:

Not on Android!

Also ctrl+8 gives you 18/00 strength which feels a bit more like cheating than rerolling for ages or using shadow keeper for certain stats. At least my dumb-as-a-rock fighter druid only has a carry weight of 220 until I get that sweet str tome

The 18/00 thing is only an issue in BG1, cuz if you don't have 19 strength on your main (wo)man by the end of that game you've done something wrong :smug:

edit - But it seems you know that already :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 28, 2018

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I actually modded dual classing out of the game, humans just multiclass now :)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

rope kid posted:

If it makes you feel any better, none of us were happy with how that turned out. The designer had much better/more interesting ideas for the maze, but technical problems prevented them from being realized.

That does make me feel a little better.

My dream is still for Icewind Dale II to be given the EE treatment by Beamdog, there are a lot of interface annoyances dragging it down right now. Are you sure you don't have the source code lying around somewhere? Have you checked behind the couch?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

My dream is still for Icewind Dale II to be given the EE treatment by Beamdog, there are a lot of interface annoyances dragging it down right now. Are you sure you don't have the source code lying around somewhere? Have you checked behind the couch?

Seconded, please make this happen. It's def underrated as a game, too. The ruleset seems kinda wonky here and there but other than that I think it's the second best IE game, after BG2 naturally.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Dyna Soar posted:

Seconded, please make this happen. It's def underrated as a game, too. The ruleset seems kinda wonky here and there but other than that I think it's the second best IE game, after BG2 naturally.

I tried to play through it again recently but there are many areas of the game where it's expedient to just turn the difficulty down and smash through all the respawning jerks or endless hordes of enemies. I'm told it picks up after the ice temple so maybe I'll give it another try but it's a hard slog at times.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Washout posted:

I tried to play through it again recently but there are many areas of the game where it's expedient to just turn the difficulty down and smash through all the respawning jerks or endless hordes of enemies. I'm told it picks up after the ice temple so maybe I'll give it another try but it's a hard slog at times.

That's the way I like my IE games, hah. After playing IE games for over half of my life I don't think I could enjoy them if the combat wasn't so deep and challenging. As far as tactical RPG's go, the BG's with SCS and IWD2 are rivaled maybe by Jagged Alliance 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I actually think IWD2 is less hard than the first game so far, but that might be because I created my own party this time around. I remember getting my rear end kicked several times in IWD, that hasn't really happened in this one. Could still change, I'm about to enter the Underdark.
I like the combat, not having to constantly dispel enemy spellcaster protections is definitely an improvement over the other IE games. The party starts right when you spot the enemy. Mirror Image, Slowed, Confused. Eat this Fireball, did I mention I took Spirit of Flame. How about this Lance of Disruption or Disintegrate. I have two sorcerers and a rogue/wizard, I can do this all day.

It's a weird thing to say about an Icewind Dale game, but it's mostly the non-combat stuff that's breaking my flow. First there was the aggravating maze, now I'm in the Black Raven Monastery and have to complete a series of 8 challenges to gain access to the Underdark...okay, whatever, could be a nice change of pace. What's that, I have to manually and painstakingly clear out my entire inventory before I can start, several times if I want to use different characters? What's that, most of the challenges are annoying trial-and-error nonsense unless you look it up beforehand? It just stops you dead in your tracks. I don't remember anything like this even in Baldur's Gate II or Planescape: Torment. I'm actually hoping it turns back into a straightforward dungeon crawl after this.