Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

bike tory posted:

Ok so in SOD I took out the crusader camp at Boarskyr Bridge pretty easily, but the bridge bit was such bullshit. The mage has PfMW, Stoneskin and Minor Globe of Invulnerability up and youve got less than two rounds kill him without using stealth because apparently he can see through it. I cheesed it by tossing well aimed fireballs from offscreen but was there something I'm missing there? Is there actually a way to defeat the seemingly never ending waves of fire type bullshit? Or is there an easier way to take down the mage?
I don't know what your party looks like but by the time you're done with Bridgefort you should have someone that can cast Breach. That will take down everything but the Minor Globe, which doesn't matter on its own.
I think the Mage starts invisible so whoever isn't casting Breach might need to throw in a Detect Invisibility. e: Although that would require bringing down the Minor Globe as well, at which point you also need another Mage/Bard to do that.
Alternatively, if you've got Jaheira (or potentially M'Khiin depending on what spells she knows), Insect Plague can take care of it as well and will go through everything. So would dropping a Cloudkill.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

I don't know what your party looks like but by the time you're done with Bridgefort you should have someone that can cast Breach. That will take down everything but the Minor Globe, which doesn't matter on its own.
I think the Mage starts invisible so whoever isn't casting Breach might need to throw in a Detect Invisibility. e: Although that would require bringing down the Minor Globe as well, at which point you also need another Mage/Bard to do that.
Alternatively, if you've got Jaheira (or potentially M'Khiin depending on what spells she knows), Insect Plague can take care of it as well and will go through everything. So would dropping a Cloudkill.

Her casting also seemed uninterruptible from what I could tell, I took down the protections easily enough.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

bike tory posted:

Her casting also seemed uninterruptible from what I could tell, I took down the protections easily enough.
Did you install some mod that could have changed the Mage?
I looked at her files just now and from wat I can see even on Core Rules and above she should have Protection from Normal, not Magical Weapons and no precast Stoneskin. And while the summoning spell doesn't require memorization it should be interruptible.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think the last time I played through that part of Siege, I just filled her with dispel arrows til she stopped trying to do things.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Maybe I just got unlucky lots? I tried a number of times and couldn't interrupt her casting of kill her before she teleported out

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Knights of Solamnia? In MY Forgotten Realms game? What is this black magickry?

Seriously, the Dragonlance books were my first introduction to D&D fiction so I always considered that (for me) to be the "original" D&D setting. Disregarding the terrible Dragonlance games, I'm tickled by the reference to the Dragonlance setting where I least expected it.

Yeah, I'm in the planar sphere. I booted Yoshimo to include Valygar in my party. Jan is a good enough thief for me and I don't trust Yoshimo's constant attempts to get me to talk about my backstory.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lucas Archer posted:

Seriously, the Dragonlance books were my first introduction to D&D fiction so I always considered that (for me) to be the "original" D&D setting. Disregarding the terrible Dragonlance games, I'm tickled by the reference to the Dragonlance setting where I least expected it.

Yeah, I'm in the planar sphere. I booted Yoshimo to include Valygar in my party. Jan is a good enough thief for me and I don't trust Yoshimo's constant attempts to get me to talk about my backstory.

Those cannibal halflings are from Dark Sun.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
:stare: I need to read some Dark Sun poo poo.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Lucas Archer posted:

Valygar is ta better but yoshimo is more important to the plot than any other npc, really

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lucas Archer posted:

:stare: I need to read some Dark Sun poo poo.

It's a post-apocalyptic dystopian survival horror setting.

What I wouldn't give for a good Eberron game.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

Cythereal posted:

Those cannibal halflings are from Dark Sun.

That's crazy. I just picked up the dark sun games on gog recently and from what little I have played of the first one its pretty fun and the setting is way cool. P dated though, but I went into it with that expectation.

Planear sphere is such a cool stronghold. Wish that some of the others got as much love, but hey... Wizards right?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Wizards are best. That's my main reason for hating 4th Ed, wizards were so poo poo in 4th.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Now that I've got access to level five spells the shaman is even better. Having situationally available res, insect plague and true sight is just amazing, especially in Dragonspear where it seems like every second pack of enemies has a couple of backstabby stealthers as well as 1 or 2 casters.

Also strongly recommend taking at least three strong AoE-capable characters in SOD with the size of the enemy packs. Most of the trash mobs come in 10-15 strong groups. I've even been getting good mileage out of Glyph of Warding on the cleric

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 26, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Washout posted:

Wizards are best. That's my main reason for hating 4th Ed, wizards were so poo poo in 4th.

Whatever, nerd. I'd rather hang out with the life of the party, i.e. Bards.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
4e had Fighter supremacy, which makes it the best edition.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i'm finally playing the hidden secret infinity engine game not listed in the thread title

icewind dale 2

going as a duo sorcerer / cleric, midway through chapter 1 so far.

-this game is going to be extremely combat heavy isn't it, just like IWD1
-The part on the palisades with the dead cat is amazing you find a dead cat in a warehouse and can pick it up. later, a soldier tells you how he had a cat kill all the rats and:
-This game would really benefit from a UI / QOL overhaul, some of it is a bit rough coming off the EE's

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Make sure to keep any dead animals and/or people you find. There more dialogue like that to be had.

edit:
You might also want to use these:
Widescreen mod - http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/
Interface for widescreen (english at bottom of page) - http://havredest.eklablog.fr/interfaces-pour-widescreen-a42876917

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

kujeger posted:

Make sure to keep any dead animals and/or people you find. There more dialogue like that to be had.

edit:
You might also want to use these:
Widescreen mod - http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/
Interface for widescreen (english at bottom of page) - http://havredest.eklablog.fr/interfaces-pour-widescreen-a42876917

I ran into a really annoying bug with IWD2 and the widescreen mod a few days ago. Having it installed causes the goblin shaman's second trigger to not happen at the end of the prologue. It took me a while of uninstalling mods one at a time to figure out that widescreen was the culprit. I had to install the game without it, finish the prologue and then re-install again with it to go on.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

in EET bg1 why does dorn try to fight shar-teel so much, the script breaks and they just stand there after yelling at each other, anyone know how to fix this

also bg1npc shar-teel romance is awakening feelings i didnt know i had

i want a barbarian wife

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Shart heel?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
:ssh: She's not really a Barbarian, she's Angelo Dosan's daughter and he will release you in chapter 7 if she's in your party.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If I install Big World can I walk to Athkatla at level 1 or no?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Decrepus posted:

If I install Big World can I walk to Athkatla at level 1 or no?

Assuming you're talking about EE Trilogy (or whatever the non-EE equivalent is, I assume): No. At least not with any mods I've ever seen. You can however go back to BG1 areas once you're in Siege of Dragonspear or BG2.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

docbeard posted:

Assuming you're talking about EE Trilogy (or whatever the non-EE equivalent is, I assume): No. At least not with any mods I've ever seen. You can however go back to BG1 areas once you're in Siege of Dragonspear or BG2.

Thanks.

Are there other areas I can reach during BG1 with Trilogy then? I see this huge map but I can't find much info about it and won't bother even playing BG1 if I can't see anything new.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Why would you want to go to athkathla at lvl 1?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Dyna Soar posted:

So you could gain about six levels by scratching your rear end, I presume.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

sebzilla posted:

So you could gain about six levels by scratching your rear end, I presume.

Yeah, so either start the game straight from bg2 or add exp to your character in bg1? Bringing bg2 areas into bg1 will just break the game

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

It would be cool as gently caress to get things like Daystar or magical scrolls or owned by a vampire. I've played both games a bunch un-modded and want to mix it up. I know it would break the game I was just hoping to screw off.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

You could do it with teleport cheats but you might gently caress up some flags

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Decrepus posted:

It would be cool as gently caress to get things like Daystar or magical scrolls or owned by a vampire. I've played both games a bunch un-modded and want to mix it up. I know it would break the game I was just hoping to screw off.

Have you heard of a little mod called sword coast stratagems?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

Have you heard of a little mod called sword coast stratagems?

Are you looking for a sleeping in clay golem cave vs shadowkeeper argument or something.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Decrepus posted:

Are you looking for a sleeping in clay golem cave vs shadowkeeper argument or something.

Heh, nah man and sorry if that post seems condescending or something. its just that SCS made playing bg1 fun to me again. It changes things just enough to make it interesting to someone who knows the game while unlike the old tactics mod, still keeping it fair and playable even if you dont know every exploit

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 28, 2018

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

Heh, nah man and sorry if that post seems condescending or something. its just that SCS made playing bg1 fun to me again. It changes things just enough to make it interesting to someone who knows the game while unlike the old tactics mod, still keeping it fair and playable even if you dont know every exploit

I think SCS might be included in the modpack, I'm not sure. I've never played with that before either. I am really bad at BG though so I look forward to the sweet release of death at the hands of new and old poo poo.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I came across an xp exploit today while messing around with f/m solo in bg1

my go-to xp early on is usually 'cast immunity to petrification' -> kill basilisks, but I wanted to see if I could charm one and make it do my job for me at level 2.

the problem with charming a basilisk is they aren't immune to petrification themselves, which is easily solved by casting immunity on it.

at first i just wanted it to act like a meatshield and soak melee blows because i'm a weak slinger, but then it petrified a greater basilisk and I got 7000 experience. Hold on a second, it wasn't dead. I reloaded a save where I didn't use a stone to flesh on the lady in the north, and used it on a petrified basilisk. the friendly basilisk petrified it again and I got more xp.

stone to flesh scrolls are like 170 gold each. the temple sells 19 of them I think.

at some point i realized if you click the friendly basilisk out of melee range it will force its petrification attack, so just blind the basilisk or run in a circle kiting it and enjoy 130000 xp at level 2.

yes you can just shadowkeeper the experience, yes it breaks the game, no I don't give a gently caress it was fun

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I came across an xp exploit today while messing around with f/m solo in bg1

my go-to xp early on is usually 'cast immunity to petrification' -> kill basilisks, but I wanted to see if I could charm one and make it do my job for me at level 2.

the problem with charming a basilisk is they aren't immune to petrification themselves, which is easily solved by casting immunity on it.

at first i just wanted it to act like a meatshield and soak melee blows because i'm a weak slinger, but then it petrified a greater basilisk and I got 7000 experience. Hold on a second, it wasn't dead. I reloaded a save where I didn't use a stone to flesh on the lady in the north, and used it on a petrified basilisk. the friendly basilisk petrified it again and I got more xp.

stone to flesh scrolls are like 170 gold each. the temple sells 19 of them I think.

at some point i realized if you click the friendly basilisk out of melee range it will force its petrification attack, so just blind the basilisk or run in a circle kiting it and enjoy 130000 xp at level 2.

yes you can just shadowkeeper the experience, yes it breaks the game, no I don't give a gently caress it was fun

Stealing the gently caress out of this the next time I start a new toon in BG1

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Isn't the XP cap in BG1 only like 165k xp? That's straight to max level for most characters.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

bike tory posted:

Isn't the XP cap in BG1 only like 165k xp? That's straight to max level for most characters.

If youre solo yes. I think sod raises it maybe? I uncap with eet tweaks regardless. Bg1 doesn't throw xp at you like bg2 does so maybe this would be useful if you're a bit underleveled.

Or if you want to be a living god

Pro tips use algernon cloak and maybe blind, at one point the greater basilisk bugged out and just sat there in petrification purgatory while I racked up xp

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Solo characters tend to swim in XP though. It would be more useful for full parties, I suppose, especially if you want to rush through the main story while skipping most of the side content.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

bike tory posted:

89 / 161 with TotSC, I think it's like 450 with SoD but haven't played that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
SoD cap is 500k; installing SoD doesn't change the BG1 cap.