Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Yeah, I immediately loaded a past save the first time I made the FoA+5 in the Enhanced Edition and tried using it. Not being able to be hasted was pretty sucky. I guess if you have enough whirlwinds you can get a lot of mileage, but I usually keep it at +4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
Dear LiveJournal: I did The Black Mountain Mines in Arcanum yesterday night and I can indeed confirm it still sucks rear end

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Can't you just unequip it, cast haste on him, then re-equip?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

bike tory posted:

Can't you just unequip it, cast haste on him, then re-equip?

IIRC equipping it nullifies haste, like the ring of free action.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

What should still work in the EE is switching to a different weapon set through the quickbar menu, casting Haste or Improved Haste, and then switching back to the FoA. I used that strategy extensively in my last playthrough a few months ago.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dillbag posted:

IIRC equipping it nullifies haste, like the ring of free action.

I can confirm the ring of free action doesn't nullify haste that's already cast, as of my playthrough a month ago

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 21, 2018

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Faerun should be a wilderness populated only by powerful wizards who are forced to stop time and annihilate any other living creature they encounter to prevent their death from equally powerful mages.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
I mean that's basically what the BG Trilogy is on a modded playthrough, assuming SCS or the equivalent.

I tried it out on a lark, and the amount of protections that every single spellcasting enemy had was infuriating. Definitely do not recommend.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

PurplieNurplie posted:

I mean that's basically what the BG Trilogy is on a modded playthrough, assuming SCS or the equivalent.

I tried it out on a lark, and the amount of protections that every single spellcasting enemy had was infuriating. Definitely do not recommend.

I really like the idea of SCS and precasted protections and reworked AI that plays like someone who understands 2.5ed rules like a decade+ long player and BG1 style spawns where every summon spell--which the AI uses as well--spawns a Warcraft 3 control group's worth of units.

But honestly my mostly vanilla EE playthrough is probably the first one I'll actually finish since the Bush administration, just because I can memorize and cast spells other than Breach and Pierce Magic and Dispel Magic and True Sight and and and and and and

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 24, 2018

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

PurplieNurplie posted:

But when you know the system well enough you can still just gently caress around and blow up everything like an unmodded playthrough. I had problems when playing a f/m/t solo playthrough with SCS it became pretty tedious after awhile.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Oh man, Spellhold is so cool you guys. I’m back in BG2 after getting frustrated with the Modron Cube. I’m phone posting so I’ll get more detailed later, but I did take some advice from this thread and bought a whole bunch of Protection from Undead scrolls. Fun fact: if you use the scrolls right before fighting the Lich in the gate district and haste your entire party, you can kill that Lich and make it to the sewers and kill the other Lich before the protections wears off!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm playing BG for the first time but have played BG2, PS:T, and IWD. I've actually finished the main campaign a few days ago and moved into Siege of Dragonspear.
My party now has Minsc & Dynaheir in it. I was a bit too slow rescuing Dynaheir in the main campaign and Minsc attacked me so I rolled without either of them.
Now I have them both onboard for SOD and my problem is this: Is there a way to stop Minsc from attacking whatever the gently caress he wants? Any time there's combat, Minsc is guaranteed to attack party members even without going into berserk state. I don't recall his behavior being that problematic in BG2.
(Rest of the party is Dynaheir, Glint, Corwyn)

Suggestions welcome.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm playing BG for the first time but have played BG2, PS:T, and IWD. I've actually finished the main campaign a few days ago and moved into Siege of Dragonspear.
My party now has Minsc & Dynaheir in it. I was a bit too slow rescuing Dynaheir in the main campaign and Minsc attacked me so I rolled without either of them.
Now I have them both onboard for SOD and my problem is this: Is there a way to stop Minsc from attacking whatever the gently caress he wants? Any time there's combat, Minsc is guaranteed to attack party members even without going into berserk state. I don't recall his behavior being that problematic in BG2.

Suggestions welcome.

Um is he using that cursed berserking sword or anything? That's not normal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Suggestions welcome.

He shouldn't be doing that if he's not berserk.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I've faced the horrors of Spellhold and a betrayal that led me to a cursed city full of shark people. I did not expect that.

- The Astral Prison was cake the first time I booted up after playing Torment for a while. Freed Haer'dalis, but his poetry gets on my nerves so he does not get to join my merry band.
- After the lich killings I mentioned in my earlier post, I decided it was time to stop faffing about and go see some Shadow Thieves about a prison. Boy, that super long hallway leading to the head thief sure is fun to walk through. Over and over and over. At some point in my killing vampires, I decided to bring Anomen back into the fold and dropped Keldorn. His mage slaying capabilities were not the equal to Anomen's clerical abilities, but I'm pretty lovely at this game, so the more healing/defense I have, the better.
- Spellhold was a blast. I love riddles and poo poo like that. Huge variety of enemies, cool traps - yeah, A+ dungeon, would quest again. I realized I actually had no idea what Irenicus was doing as I watched the cutscenes and was kind of surprised by all the reveals. Pretty cool plot development. Funny story - when I run into Bodhi after being imprisoned, I immediately cast Hold Undead, hoping to catch one of her minions in it. She failed her save. Then when I turned into the Slayer, I pulled my group back and watched as I just pummeled Bodhi for about 100 damage per round for about 15 rounds or something. Only when the spell disappears did she do her disappearing act. It was kind of boring after a while and I started looking to see if I had anything that could free Bodhi while I waited.
- Irenicus was annoying and Aerie went down to his massive kill everything spell that I don't know the name of (I don't think it was cloudkill, the gas was a different color I think). I did read online to take the captain's offer, and I'm glad I did. When I realized what he gave me (didn't put it together until the boat is attacked), I got super excited like a nerd.
- Shark people city was great and I loved everything about it other than having to murder my eventual allies army even though I have the mcguffin that says I'm a friend.
- Now I'm in the Underdark. I'm stoked. I did some nearby delving and took care of three elemental portals. I doubt clearing them all out (haven't run into a water one yet) will give me a reward, but here's hoping. Not to mention the elementals aren't that tough to kill in the first place.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

Is there a way to stop Minsc from attacking whatever the gently caress he wants?

Is there any chance an AI script is making him use his berserk ability automatically? I never got too deep into using those.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Is there any chance an AI script is making him use his berserk ability automatically? I never got too deep into using those.

Yes, that's exactly what happened. I usually play one of the EE beta versions that has it turned off by default. Thanks.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Holy poo poo if you google Abdel Adrian (the canon Baalspawn) it talks about how he hosed bodhi and they really wanted to gently caress again buuut she dead

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lucas Archer posted:

I've faced the horrors of Spellhold and a betrayal that led me to a cursed city full of shark people. I did not expect that.

- The Astral Prison was cake the first time I booted up after playing Torment for a while. Freed Haer'dalis, but his poetry gets on my nerves so he does not get to join my merry band.
- After the lich killings I mentioned in my earlier post, I decided it was time to stop faffing about and go see some Shadow Thieves about a prison. Boy, that super long hallway leading to the head thief sure is fun to walk through. Over and over and over. At some point in my killing vampires, I decided to bring Anomen back into the fold and dropped Keldorn. His mage slaying capabilities were not the equal to Anomen's clerical abilities, but I'm pretty lovely at this game, so the more healing/defense I have, the better.
- Spellhold was a blast. I love riddles and poo poo like that. Huge variety of enemies, cool traps - yeah, A+ dungeon, would quest again. I realized I actually had no idea what Irenicus was doing as I watched the cutscenes and was kind of surprised by all the reveals. Pretty cool plot development. Funny story - when I run into Bodhi after being imprisoned, I immediately cast Hold Undead, hoping to catch one of her minions in it. She failed her save. Then when I turned into the Slayer, I pulled my group back and watched as I just pummeled Bodhi for about 100 damage per round for about 15 rounds or something. Only when the spell disappears did she do her disappearing act. It was kind of boring after a while and I started looking to see if I had anything that could free Bodhi while I waited.
- Irenicus was annoying and Aerie went down to his massive kill everything spell that I don't know the name of (I don't think it was cloudkill, the gas was a different color I think). I did read online to take the captain's offer, and I'm glad I did. When I realized what he gave me (didn't put it together until the boat is attacked), I got super excited like a nerd.
- Shark people city was great and I loved everything about it other than having to murder my eventual allies army even though I have the mcguffin that says I'm a friend.
- Now I'm in the Underdark. I'm stoked. I did some nearby delving and took care of three elemental portals. I doubt clearing them all out (haven't run into a water one yet) will give me a reward, but here's hoping. Not to mention the elementals aren't that tough to kill in the first place.

I'm glad you were able to do the shark people thing, I get you're trying to do it mostly blind and that's a really easy thing to miss.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Holy poo poo if you google Abdel Adrian (the canon Baalspawn) it talks about how he hosed bodhi and they really wanted to gently caress again buuut she dead

The BG novels are a tire fire written* by a guy who hated doing adaptations and banged them out in between commercial breaks on the TV.

*Drew Karpyshyn wrote the ToB one. Everyone but Abdel dies.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kavak posted:

The BG novels are a tire fire written* by a guy who hated doing adaptations and banged them out in between commercial breaks on the TV.

*Drew Karpyshyn wrote the ToB one. Everyone but Abdel dies.

Wouldn't he want to be watching the TV between the commercial breaks? :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Decrepus posted:

Though everyone at Wizards seems to be treating the games as the canon. Instead of the horrible novel. (Which does not even describe the characters properly. Like giving Minsc a full head of hair and making him serious.)

Abdel the neutral good fighter is the first name on the Baldur's Gate pregens which seems to be the entire reason that was made the canon name.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

bike tory posted:

Wouldn't he want to be watching the TV between the commercial breaks? :v:

I rite gud. Yeah, during the breaks.

The interesting thing about them is you get a look at the prototype plot for BG II, and it's more about Irenicus using the Slayer form as a weapon against Suldanessellar than souls. I think after fan feedback changed Imoen's fate they ditched the whole thing- it would explain what all his talk of potential actually meant.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

For example, he would often resort to violence without thinking about the implications, but when cheating on Jaheira with another woman, he was clearly aware that what he was doing was wrong and just could not resist the temptation.[citation needed]

Holey Moley lol

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I am the most powerful person ever and I have sex with my sister, its not a big deal tho; my dad died but I am stronger than he was and I could probably have beaten him up right now.txt

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Lucas Archer posted:

If you never did all the sidequests for the Holy Avenger, and if you didn't know about Keldorn's special ultra powerful dispel and Truesight I can see how he would be lacklustre, but when used to his potential he's one of the most powerful characters in the game. But the Gnome will forever occupy #1. Anomen is nowhere near even as strong as Jahera. With that said unless you are playing with SCS or on the highest difficulty or both you can pretty much beat the game with any party composition, and if you know the system really well the same is true for anything. Even a single class fighter with 9s in all stats can beat the game solo if you abuse the game enough.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Having sex with one's sibling is a very Greek mythos thing to do and entirely appropriate for forgotten realms.

Now somebody help me get my players off the table as every session has degraded into having sex with every NPC.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mordaedil posted:

Having sex with one's sibling is a very Greek mythos thing to do and entirely appropriate for forgotten realms.

Now somebody help me get my players off the table as every session has degraded into having sex with every NPC.

Hate them game, don't hate the players.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
If I ever run a D&D game of any edition again, I'm calling it the "Utterly Chaste Adventures of... Everybody"

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Sahuagin city is an easily-missed fun sidequest that somehow has the best cloak in the game, so good for you for heading there.

I found the Underdark incredibly fun on my first few playthroughs though it kinda lost its lustre for me and I just try to get it done as quickly as possible now. Quick little spoiler: there is a sidequest associated with the elemental portals, so don't leave the Underdark until you do it if you're the completionist type. And if I remember correctly, if you kill enough elementals at each portal you get an XP reward and they stop spawning. There is no water portal.

Also, that thing you got from Saemon is gonna be a ton of fun. :black101:

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

cigaw posted:

Sahuagin city is an easily-missed fun sidequest that somehow has the best cloak in the game, so good for you for heading there.
Am I understanding the cloak's power correctly in that I simply can't be touched by any magic cast directly at me? If so, that's pretty amazing. I did kill elementals until they stopped spawning because they weren't that tough - easy xp, I'll take it. I'm not sure I noticed bonus xp. I remember looking for it.
Edit: Nope, I was misunderstanding the cloak's ability. Still huge though!

Skwirl posted:

I'm glad you were able to do the shark people thing, I get you're trying to do it mostly blind and that's a really easy thing to miss.
Yeah, I'm really trying to go through this without looking at any walkthroughs and it's tough sometimes. I'm pleased I saw the suggestion to take the captain's offer, so I didn't miss the shark people. For all I've heard/read about this game, I had no idea that was a thing. Spectator was a delight as well.

Washout posted:

If you never did all the sidequests for the Holy Avenger, and if you didn't know about Keldorn's special ultra powerful dispel and Truesight I can see how he would be lacklustre, but when used to his potential he's one of the most powerful characters in the game. But the Gnome will forever occupy #1. Anomen is nowhere near even as strong as Jahera. With that said unless you are playing with SCS or on the highest difficulty or both you can pretty much beat the game with any party composition, and if you know the system really well the same is true for anything. Even a single class fighter with 9s in all stats can beat the game solo if you abuse the game enough.
With the caveat that I suck at this game, I used Keldorn's dispel magic a few times and never really noticed any superior effect over another's. And I didn't know there was a sidequest to get the Holy Avenger, so there's that. And I've seen those solo ironman runs in the let's play forum, but I am nowhere near knowledgeable enough about the game/mechanics to pull that off. My next playthrough of the series will be an evil party run.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 27, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lucas Archer posted:

Am I understanding the cloak's power correctly in that I simply can't be touched by any magic cast directly at me? If so, that's pretty amazing. I did kill elementals until they stopped spawning because they weren't that tough - easy xp, I'll take it. I'm not sure I noticed bonus xp. I remember looking for it.

Yeah, I'm really trying to go through this without looking at any walkthroughs and it's tough sometimes. I'm pleased I saw the suggestion to take the captain's offer, so I didn't miss the shark people. For all I've heard/read about this game, I had no idea that was a thing. Spectator was a delight as well.

With the caveat that I suck at this game, I used Keldorn's dispel magic a few times and never really noticed any superior effect over another's. And I didn't know there was a sidequest to get the Holy Avenger, so there's that. And I've seen those solo ironman runs in the let's play forum, but I am nowhere near knowledgeable enough about the game/mechanics to pull that off. My next playthrough of the series will be an evil party run.

Big things about inquisitor. Dispel magic has a 50/50 chance of working if you are casting it to dispel something cast by a same level character, chance goes up or down 5 percent per level of difference. For the tough mage battles they throw casters at you who are much higher in level than you're expected to be so it doesn't work very often. Inquisitors cast it at twice their level, so it almost always works, even against higher level mages.

Free truesight is just insanely useful because you can't target invisible opponents with spells, even if you know their location.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Lucas Archer posted:

Once you get back to the mainland after spellhold you can do the sidequests again if you haven't completed some of them. Oh but you are in the underdark already so oh well. There are so many top tier weapons to play with anyway that missing on that one is no big deal.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Hate them game, don't hate the players.
In pen and paper, the players are the game.

JustJeff88 posted:

If I ever run a D&D game of any edition again, I'm calling it the "Utterly Chaste Adventures of... Everybody"
You should run games, it's fun. Buy it you want chaste adventures, just make everybody into a dwarf.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lucas Archer posted:

It's quite buggy so you actually end up basically immune to most spells that target the wearer directly, not just damaging ones. I guess the only downside is that it also doesn't reflect the damage very often.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

You should run games, it's fun. Buy it you want chaste adventures, just make everybody into a dwarf.

Someone clearly hasn't read my extensive portfolio of LOTR fan fiction.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Someone clearly hasn't read my extensive portfolio of LOTR fan fiction.

What if I have and just want to subscribe to your newsletter?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Lucas Archer posted:

Am I understanding the cloak's power correctly in that I simply can't be touched by any magic cast directly at me?

It affects all damage spells, even ones that aren't cast directly at you, such as Fireball or Horrid Wilting. It doesn't work on disabling spells though.

bike tory posted:

I guess the only downside is that it also doesn't reflect the damage very often.

The cloak doesn't reflect damage anymore. It used to do so in vanilla BG2, but Bioware changed it with the release of ToB. Which is understandable, since even the nerfed version is still one of the most broken items in a game full of brokenly good items. There's a reason many people call it the Cloak of Cheese.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I finally picked up BG2EE again. I dropped it for a while after starting Chapter 6 and doing some of the quests. Today, I finished up the Umar Hills quest. I beat the shadow dragon and the shade lord, and now I've assembled Crom Faeyr.

My PC is a Dwarven Defender (at Level 17), and I've got Keldorn (14), Jaheira(12/13), Aerie (13/13), Jan(13/15), and Edwin(15).

I was wondering if I was at the point where I could start the endgame quests. I don't really want to go through more of the side-quest stuff, and I don't want to mess around with Watcher's Keep.

I was also wondering if there was a way to input console commands or cheats I could use. My reputation hit 18, and I think that means Edwin is in risk of leaving. I wanted to see if there was a way I could adjust (I know there's the Slayer thing, but I was trying to save that for a point where I really needed it), and if does end up leaving, I wanted to find a way to try and get him back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yeah, just look up how to enable the console, you have to enable it in the ini file first and then you can use console commands.