Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
So I've played BG about a billion times since it was released. I had never gotten farther than Nashkel (when I always just kind of lose interest) - until this last game I started with Gibblepots, my gnome Illusionist/Thief. I've had Khalid and Jaheria both die to ogres. Kagain died to a dire wolf. Garrick died to a bandit encounter. Dyanheir died before we even got out of the gnoll fortress. I used Kivan for a while before I kicked him out in favor of Ajantis. For the first time in my BG playing life, I have made it to the loving city.

I'm trying to take on the Iron Throne building, but when I get to the third(?) floor, where I'm attacked by a bunch of guys including a mage who instantly confuses my entire party... I don't know if I'm just not leveled enough, or if I'm just playing stupid? I have leaned on Sleep and other crowd control spells throughout the entire game so far, but now they're failing me.

My current party: Me (Illusionist 5/Thief 6), Ajantis (6), Minsc (6), Branwen (6), Imoen (6), and Xan (6). What are some tips for this stupid group of guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
:magical:

That worked well.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Picked up Icewind Dale EE. I vaguely remember playing it (the original, not EE) years and years ago, so the extent of my memory was there were some goblins outside the first town and my party started with no equipment. Installed it last night and am now about to head to the second level of Kresslack's Tomb.

I was not expecting it to be this much fun. I just went with the pregenerated party because I didn't want to spend two hours rolling stats and deciding everything. My halfling fighter/thief has been killed three times by now (once by a goblin critical and two times to undead in the Vale), and I've been pounded into the ground by some of these encounters, but I'm never entirely out of my depth. I think so far that's my favorite bit - it feels difficult, but never unfair or ridiculous. When I opened the trapped coffin on the first floor of Kresslack's Tomb that opens the door to the skeletons and casts the sleep spell (I think, three of my party were knocked out - this was my thief's third death as she got just rocked by skeletons), I thought for sure it would be a TPK. But I was able to pull out a victory by having my cleric/ranger dual +1 war hammers to keep skeletons and undead off the backs of my mage and bard - my paladin and berserker were able to soak enough damage before waking up without dying.

I'm about to head down to the second level, like I said. I'm keeping my fighter/thief topped up on lockpicking/trap detecting skill points - how are the thief's traps in this game? I know they can be really abused in BG, but I've never really gave them a try.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Washout posted:

Same as in BG, very abusable, the game is fairly hard in the endgame encounters since you are not using all the special kits and stuff that come with the EE edition, if you do decide to replay and use kits you'll see how they just knock the balance totally off kilter. I think the game is a hell of a lot more fun having to do it the true hard way the first run through!
Good to know. I've never been very good at any of the Infinity games, but I feel like I can stick with this one.

Is there any point in my level ups where my rogue will not leave stealth to set a trap?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

bike tory posted:

Just a heads up, the game gets really loving hard around the end of the very next dungeon, and then actually gets a bit easier before it becomes a much more steady difficulty climb to the end. So don't be discouraged if you hit a roadblock, the difficulty curve is just really weird, you're not doing anything wrong.
I'm looking forward to it, to be honest. While I enjoy playing BG, I feel like all the encounters in that game kind of boil down to "big open area so just slowly drag each enemy towards you individually" or "big loving group of assholes that require six necklaces of fireballs to just get past it". The encounters and dungeons I've found so far in IWD feel much more... designed? I don't know if that's the right way to put it. I think I really got into it during one of the mini dungeons in the Vale, where I fought a running battle on a staircase, as my two front line guys held the line and the rest pelted the skeletons from a distance as they slowly marched up the stairs, and as soon as I killed the two nearest, two more were on their way, and behind them I saw the ghouls, and and and.

Yeah, I like this game.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Fighting my way through the third level, and that mummy/ghoul/skeleton ambush on the south side of the map was brutal. Both my thief and mage went down (thief to multiple traps that she didn't detect in time, and the mage to consecutive magic missiles from one of those jerks). My berserker almost died to poison, but I remembered just in time to drink that mummy tea leaving him with 1 hit point left.

These resurrection costs are getting effing ridiculous. I'm going to have to do a better job of keeping my squishy party members from biting it. My undead hunter is doing a stand up job holding the line most of the time, but funneling these guys through choke points is getting more and more important.

Gotta keep going though. This tomb won't explore itself. I have five keys now - hopefully there'll be a giant door with five ridiculously ornate locks on it at the bottom.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Welp, got my first TPK. The first floor of the temple to the forgotton god, I had trouble with the two acolytes in the library section. One of them cast some sort of spell that did a static discharge of 42 damage to my cleric, which brought him down to 1 HP. I managed to scrape through that fight without losing anybody, but after exploring most of the first floor save the final bit to the north, I decided to rest in one of the alcoves near the library. Was woken up by two verbeegs which proceeded to just murderize my entire front line - mopping up my casters was but seconds.

This place is cool. I'm figuring that casting silence on those stupid acolytes is the best plan before sending in my warriors to cut them apart. I also found some berserker darts I could have my mage use, but I feel like her job is best spent casting. I notice the acolytes start up the battles with a dispel magic - is that SOP going forward for enemy mages? I don't want to keep pre-buffing just to have my poo poo disappear instantly.

Continually impressed with the music.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Temple of the forgotten god down. That final fight with the two acolytes and three verbeegs could have been a shitshow, but I was lucky enough to get a silence off with my cleric. I'm pretty much using my bard to keep my rogue invisible for scouting/trap disabling/backstab purposes now, and that served me well against those jerks.

Into the dragon's eye - I like this place. Lizardmen are a classic enemy, and throwing in shamans to keep me on my toes is a nice challenge. So far not too difficult, but the bombardier beetles on the first floor are assholes. Deafened both my berserker and mage (which was my stupid fault because she ran out of ammo and sprinted to the front to punch the beetle, just in time to get a face full of acid). The spiders weren't a problem and I found Erevain's journal which was a cool little touch.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Maybe (definitely) I suck at this game. The lizard king on level one of the dragons eye was an rear end in a top hat to take down. In the fight where I didn't get my entire party killed, I still lost my cleric and mage. I was able to keep his shaman down by color spraying the lot of them, but a couple of tough lizardmen critted my mage, and snuck up on my cleric when I wasn't paying attention. Goddamn these resurrection costs.

On to level 2!

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Back with my party in IWD, and I'm trying to get through the second level of the Dragons Eye.

While individual groups of trolls and spiders don't bother me too much, I want to clear out the temple down south before going to the third area. The sheer amount of trolls + casters just decimates my group. I'm rolling with the pre-generated party and they're all around level 6-7.

I try opening up with a fireball on the priest at the top of the temple in order to knock down those trolls, but soon the entire room is in my face with four clerics all doing poo poo at once. I can't get Silence off in time - maybe if I make my cleric invisible, that would do something.

And it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out I could use those firepots on the trolls. I wasted spells or just let my paladin whack away with his fire sword until the damage procced.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
So here's a problem that may be Baldur's Gate 2 specific, or it may be my computer. Recently when I've been playing BG2, my game will freeze up when I transition to a new area, quicksave, or save. It won't crash - it'll hang frozen for a good minute or so, and the only way to get it caught up is to click my mouse, wait for the white screen, tell windows to wait for BG2 to respond, and finally it will load up. This happens every single time I change screens or try to save. It's a really big loving annoyance. Anybody have any similar problems, or any ideas?

My computer is pretty lovely, but it can run BG1 and 2 with no problems (other than the save issue). IWD EE doesn't cause any problems on the same line. I've tried running in admin mode, and also opening it directly from my directory as opposed to running it through Steam.

It's annoying because I'm actually progressing further in the game than I ever have before: I actually completed D'Arnise Keep! I was a fool and didn't get all the parts of the Flail of Ages, but that's okay, I'll live.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Washout posted:

You can easily go back and get the parts, super easy and it's one of the top weapons in the game.

Good to know. I'll head back their once I'm done with the dungeon in Windspear Hills. I'm running a single class fighter (boring, I know) as the MC, with Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo, Nalia and Aerie rounding it out. I've managed to make it this far without anyone dying just yet so I'll keep running with the group.

I've had the game in one form or another for over 12 years now, and this is the first time I've done anything of significance in the game outside of finishing Irenicus' dungeon. I've cleared D'Arnise hold, helped Bloodscalp, cured Jaheira, and become the Hero of Trademeet. I want another couple of levels under my belt before I pay off Gaelen though I do have plenty of money. I really want Balduran's Shield though - I know their are beholders later in the game and if I'm cut off from from the city I can't be unprepared.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Washout posted:

You can easily go back and get the parts, super easy and it's one of the top weapons in the game.

Looks like I can't actually. It was the piece with the guy in the dining room upstairs, and I didn't run into him when clearing the keep for the first time. Unless he's hiding somewhere else in the world though. Doubt he actually is.

I'm currently in the sewers, trying to save Haer'dalis(sp?) from the wizard. That group of mercs on the north side was a shitshow - I wiped two times before I remembered to have Jaheira drop an insect plague on the wizards head. That plus chaos has become my go to with any group of mixed magic/melee.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Arivia posted:

You do know that there's a whole bunch of hidden rooms on the inside of D'Arnise Keep second floor, right? If you didn't find a scary room with way too many golems, you might have missed him. If he didn't spawn for some reason after checking all of that out, then just console it into your inventory. Game bug, not your fault.

Yeah, I found those rooms on my first time through. I thought I was thorough, but I must have missed something. I don't know BG2 well enough to know I missed something in the keep by the time I was finished.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Finally picked up my IWD game, where I had been bashing my head against the giant group of assholes in the
Dragons Eye. 3rd floor I think. Anyway, one and done on my first new attempt! You guys weren’t kidding about the difficulty softening. I flew through the Severed Hand - I didn’t get close to losing anyone. Dorns Deep, here I come!

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
The best thing about NWN was the hilarious and excellent Versus strategy guide.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Loaded up BG1:EE again to see what I can get done. I decided to go a little different and not fill out my whole party, so I'm currently rolling with Imoen and Ajantis as my only companions. I rolled an elf fighter/mage (with absolutely magical stats - rolled a 91 on my fifth try, with an 18/95 strength). I'm gaining levels a lot faster than I'm used to - just finished Nashkel mines and Imoen is level 5, Ajantis level 4, and I'm 3/3. Most of the experience I've gotten is from the simple quests I remember, like Brage, Melicamp (didn't even need to reload, he survived the first time), and Bassileus.

Now, Nimbul is dead, and I think I'm going to head down to the gnoll camp to clear it out and get some more loot. Now that I can go to the bandit camp, I'm pondering picking up Kivan. Then again, we're doing so well so far, I don't know if I want to split the xp even more than it already is. Levels coming this quickly is new to me and I really enjoy it.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Not bad ideas. I'm about to head towards the bandit camp, so I guess I'll pick up Branwen and dual Imoen once I pick up Coran. Are there any negatives to, if Imoen levels before I reach Coran, to just letting her continue to accrue xp? Will it carry over if I hold off on leveling her up?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Skwirl posted:

I think you lose the excess XP
Because of course. Not a big deal, I suppose. Imoen is at level 5 now, with roughly 7k before level 6, so I think I can make it through the bandit camp and into the cloakwood before she levels up. I went ahead and recruited Branwen so I could get some use out of the cleric ring I found and gave her the lightning hammer, so her and Ajantis should be able to hold the line while Imoen and I pepper enemies with arrows. Next stop, bandits.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I've been playing Baldur's Gate for almost 15 years now. I finally made it to Baldur's Gate for the second time ever. I'm bad at this game.

It's really strange and wonderful to encounter stuff in this game I've never seen before. I had no idea that Coran had a personal quest! That was... well, interesting may not be the right word, but it was certainly easy xp. Plus Coran is kind of a dick. But as long as he keeps shooting monsters in the face, I'm okay with it. I was poisoned and when I made it to the Blushing Mermaid, I totally missed there was a second floor to the place. I ended up wandering down into the basement, and from there into the sewers where I thought the guy with the second half of the antidote had fled to. Ended up killing a sewer king.

I also didn't know about the Merchant's League quest, because on my sole foray into the city before (years ago), I sided with the druids against the merchant. This time, I realized I should always side with the merchant.

Before I hit the iron throne, I decided to try and get into Durlag's Tower. Those two battle horrors gave me a hell of a time, and I barely killed a doom guard outside the tower itself. I think I'll come back to this place later. My average party level is 5-6 right now.

I also made a foray into that mages tower, the one who wanted me to get the nymph from Ragefast. I let the nymph go, so the other guy is completely hostile to me. I can make it through the slimes easy enough, but the third floor with six ghasts just kicks my rear end. Potions/spells of free action should make that easier I think.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Arivia posted:

Lucas Archer go to Durlag’s Tower after you’ve finished not just Chapter 5, but Chapter 6 too. There’s more to Tales of the Sword Coast along those lines as well. To find the rest of it, go to Ulgoth’s Beard, which you can find by exploring north and east from Baldur’s Gate.

I've seen Ulgoth's on the map, just never gone there. I was planning on going there next (saved after escaping Durlag's with my life). I ended up using 10 charges on a wand of frost to kill the doom guard.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Ulcaster, Firewine Bridge, and Iron Throne down with my fighter/mage. Ulcaster didn't give me that many problems other than the vampire wolf murdering Ajantis. It was pretty boring. Firewine was also boring, and much larger to boot. I love traps down pointless hallways. The ogre mage didn't give me much trouble after three fireballs. The Iron Throne fight - that looked difficult, but I think I was super lucky. My MC and Imoen threw a couple of fireballs at the beginning of the fight, with Coran following up with a bead from his necklace of fireballs. Branwen's silence spell got off and effected all of their mages. Once it was a melee battle, they were nothing. I wish I realized talking to the Duke would send me directly to Candlekeep though.

If I remember correctly, this is the farthest I've ever gotten in BG1. I did go to Ulgoth's Beard briefly, got transported to some ice dungeon, and said "nope" and reloaded.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Candlekeep and the catacombs underneath down. So I'm being hunted by the Flaming Fist. I fast traveled back to BG after I left Candlekeep and was immediately accosted by some Flaming Fist guards. I decided to kill them and it shot my reputation down so far both Ajantis and Imoen abandoned me with all the cool magic poo poo I've been giving them throughout the game. Well, to hell with that. Reloaded, and this time I'm not going back to BG for a while. Do I just have to avoid them and sneak around BG to get to the Iron Throne?

In the meantime, Ulgoth's Beard. I'm currently in the middle of the ice dungeon and have taken care of that first fight with the three wizards. That was a bit annoying, and it took me a couple of tries, but I finally was able to strip the talker of his protections and burned them down with some well placed fireballs.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

docbeard posted:

Wands of Paralyzation are super useful for dealing with them; just freeze them in their tracks and go on your way.

I only have one of those! I don't even remember where I got it. I have 50k gold in my pockets and I wanted to go to all those cool stores in BG to buy all the cool poo poo, but I really didn't want to have to dodge guards the entire time there. I guess I'll just have to deal with it. Oh yeah, I remember I did try giving up to the guards and they arrested me and threw me in jail. I shouldn't have mouthed off to the new head of the Flaming Fist. They killed Coran and kept all his poo poo. After I was sprung and realized all his stuff was still inside the fortress, I just reloaded back to my save before even traveling to BG. I'm guessing as long as I don't talk poo poo to the head guy, they won't kill someone. At least I hope.

Edit: Meyers-Brigg Testicles (amazing handle), that's a fantastic solution and one I wish I had thought of.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

cigaw posted:

I thought Imoen was the only companion that stuck with you no matter what happened to your reputation! Pretty sure (80%-ish?) she never left me even when tanking rep down to 1.
Yeah. I made a mistake in Candlekeep when I went back and got caught stealing. I hadn't been caught before so I just killed the guard (I had 49k gold on me, I wasn't going to give it all up), got the 10 rep hit and said gently caress it and decided to roll with it. When I got back to BG and killed the guards there, and got a 10 hit and 2 hit, respectively. I think I was at 20, so I guess the negatives is when they leave.

I'm on the final run to Sarevok. I'm about to head underneath the thieves guild hideout in pursuit, BUT FIRST: Durlag's tower. It's funny because I've known the big twist for years despite having never having gotten this far, but I'm really entertained by the journey it takes to get there. I had no idea about hauling the duke's body through the streets of Baldur's Gate while dodging guards and getting accosted by all sorts of people with little nuggets of information. I used the wand of paralyzation idea and it worked wonders.

I doubt this is the case, but I won't be hosed by ignoring Sarevok's fleeing and just adventure for a while, right? That's not some sort of timer? Also, my party is level 6-7 - what's the xp cap for BG? I'm going to take on Durlag's, then do one big shopping trip to buy all the buff potions and stuff I want before heading down to Sarevok.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
The first level of Durlag's was fun, and full of loot. Holy crap, a lot of loot. I had to come back 3 times to get everything. The warden fight gave me some serious problems until I remembered I had some wands of monster summoning. That kept the melee guys busy while I killed the mage, and then it was a foregone conclusion.

Now I'm on the second floor and I'm trying to figure out these doors. I've been able to get this far without looking at a walkthrough, and I'm going to continue that streak if it kills me. Traps, traps, and more traps. I have Coran and Imoen on constant trap duty.

Edit: Oh yeah, this is something that's bugged me forever but never though to ask others about. What's the deal with the journal in BG:EE? It pops up stuff all the time, with tiny little letters, and when I click on it or open my journal other times, I can never find any of the information. Quests that I think are done update at seemingly random intervals and quests I thought I was on disappear from the log (and I have checked the previous chapter tabs to look). It's really annoying.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 20, 2018

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Durlag's Tower status: conquered. I'll be honest and admit I didn't do a full clear of the third level (the one with the invisible enemies in the green section of the map). After encountering two of them, who continually backstabbed Coran until he was almost dead, and they kept going invisible, I just rushed through it and avoided any exploration. Even with invisibility purge, they were able to disappear again in a few seconds before I could melt them down. So that was tough.

I'll also admit: totally cheesed the chess match. If/when I want to try it legit again, I did make a save right beforehand. As it was, fireball, fireball, fireball, moving on.

The final boss gave me such a hard time. I was super low on carrying space at this point so I wanted to make it through without any deaths so I wouldn't have to figure out a way to carry a bunch of extra equipment on me. It must have taken me 10 tries or so. I could kill him, but not without him taking out Ajantis or Branwen along with the way. I ended up buffing the poo poo out Ajantis, sending him down solo for the boss to focus on, and just pelting the boss with magic from afar. It took a bit to get through his resistance, but finally finally he went down.

I guess all that's really left is the thieves maze and Sarevok! I'm going to do a final tour of the Sword Coast, stopping by merchants to buy anything I think might be useful (60K+ gold right now) and picking up a couple of tomes I haven't collected yet. I'm really looking forward to putting this game down - and porting my character to BG2. First time I'll have ever done that.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
There's a quest item dagger that needs to go to Ulgoth's Beard?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

cigaw posted:

The dorf at the tavern in Ulgoth's Beard asks you to go to Durlag's to retrieve the Soultaker Dagger (Demon Knight drops it). You gotta bring it back to him.

Welp. I had the quest, and I don't have the dagger on me. I checked all the merchants I sold too after leaving Durlag's and they didn't have it. I trekked back down to the bottom of Durlag's and it wasn't in the room. Maybe because I didn't break the mirror during the fight? I was waiting for shadow guys to spawn based on what the npc in the room before said, but it never triggered.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I went to Balduran's island to see what was there, and compared to Durlag's, I didn't have too much difficulty. I guessed the twist pretty early on (not that the game was trying to really keep it a secret), but I'm curious: If I hadn't gone straight back to the wizard and killed him, would my party have turned into werewolves eventually? They mentioned we were infected, but I don't know if that was just story or if had actual gameplay implications.

And with that, I hit the level cap. Time to make my way through the thieves maze and confront Sarevok.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
After 18 or so years of playing this game, I have finally defeated Sarevok. What a limp fart for an ending. The two big battles that comprised the climax were pretty fun though. The first one I wandered into without scouting ahead like a doofus because I was so astounded by the new battle music. I had no idea there was another track. Against the iron throne crew, I tossed a cloudkill on top of them after a frightening moment when I thought my entire party was going to be scattered. I was able to get a hold person off on one of their wizards, and then it was just brutality.

Sarevok took me two tries. I buffed the ever-living poo poo out of my crew (F/M 7, Imoen 5/9, Branwen 9, Ajantis 8, Coran 7/7), and wanted haste so I forwent the potions of free action. My entire party was webbed and it went... poorly after that. The second time, I pulled my group back after they cast their initial spells on a bunch of summoned monsters I put between me and them. Then it became a running battle around the middle of the trapped circle in the center, as each section slowly filled up with AoE's. In the end, one of Sarevok's minions own web spells was his undoing. I chunked the last henchman (Tazok I think) while Sarevok was chasing Imoen through a webbed portion of the arena. She got out, he didn't. He was already pretty low, so free hits by my entire party quickly put him down.

The thieves maze was so incredibly boring. I was completely ignoring loot, and since all my guys were at the cap, I wanted to avoid any battles. I found that the critical path has no monsters on it, so that was helpful. Just took soooo long.

I guess it's time to port my guy over to BG2. Farthest I've ever gotten in that one was chapter 2. I've done a couple major sidequests, but I've never given the 20k gold to the thief.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
If anyone is annoyed by my running commentary on my BG games, I'll scale it back a bit. I just enjoy talking about these games, especially now that I've been able to beat one and port my character over to BG2 for the first time ever.

So I've played through Irenicus' dungeon roughly 8 billion times, so I know the place pretty well. When I ported my character over, I was sad to find that they sold all my best poo poo (according to Imoen), but they did keep the weapon I was using when I killed Sarevok. I had the Burning Earth from Durlag's as my main weapon in the final fight, so getting it again was pretty cool. I dropped Jaheria from my party as soon as I left, and decided to pick up a couple of characters I had never grouped with before for my new party. I'm rolling with Minsc, Yoshimo, Aerie, Anomen, and Jan Jensen. Anomen and Jan are totally new to me. Now that I have three wizards I'm getting a little concerned with the necessity of distributing my mage scrolls as I find them. I'm pondering booting Aerie (because I have Anomen as my cleric) and picking up someone else. I'll keep my eyes open as I traverse this world.

I'm currently in D'Arnise keep, about to head to the basement. My sword is making this a lot easier than I remember it from the only other time I've cleared it years and years ago. I don't have to worry about rationing out my fire arrows or saving fire spells to put the trolls down.

I also forgot how this game just poops quest xp at you, much moreso than BG ever did. poo poo, just opening the drawbridge gave me something like 12k.

Question though: as a fighter/mage, will I get my choice of which stronghold to get? Or will it default to whichever I unlock first? Or something else?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

cigaw posted:

Overall, I like Jan. He's the least annoying gnome NPC and he's pretty good to boot. Annoyman is annoying but turns into a solid Cleric when you complete his quest. He's also more palatable is CHARNAME is a dude instead of a dudette. Aerie will probably never run out of spells, but she can't exactly machine gun them so it's not that much better than a dedicated Mage or Cleric. You can do some neat things with your sequencers and spell triggers, though.

I'd keep it to only one dedicated mage to complement your F/M. Or maybe specialize someone in buffs/debuffs and the other into damage? Anyway, getting the Flametongue this soon makes early BG2 much easier.
It's actually funny. I was finishing up the Umar Hills questline, and right after I killed the boss there was a moment when I had control over my party. Aerie immediately starts rambling on about winged elves and her homeland. Like, now? Really? As soon as the dialogue ends, the game switches to the cutscene and we get our quest experience.

Jan's little interjections have been pretty amusing so far - having him sling spells and crossbow bolts from the back as I, Minsc and Anomen are up front is working out really well. D'Arnise Keep has been liberated and the flail of ages acquired. I decided to go for the mage stronghold so I told Nalia she couldn't use me as the figurehead of her home.

Umar Hills is also complete, and while the dungeon was very interesting, the boss battle was a real let down. The Shade Lord didn't or couldn't do poo poo to me and I think the entire thing lasted about 45 seconds. Minsc was the only character who actually took any damage.

Now I'm thinking of either going to Windspear to drop off these acorns I have, or heading back to Amn to wander around, sell stuff, and see if there are any adventures to get involved in back there. I still need to investigate Valygar's house, so that might be my next stop.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

chaosapiant posted:

I might be wrong, but if you did Arnise keep first and didn’t accept Nalias request you might be locked out of any stronghold now. I hope I’m not remembering that correctly.

That would really blow! I'll find out eventually I suppose.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Knights of Solamnia? In MY Forgotten Realms game? What is this black magickry?

Seriously, the Dragonlance books were my first introduction to D&D fiction so I always considered that (for me) to be the "original" D&D setting. Disregarding the terrible Dragonlance games, I'm tickled by the reference to the Dragonlance setting where I least expected it.

Yeah, I'm in the planar sphere. I booted Yoshimo to include Valygar in my party. Jan is a good enough thief for me and I don't trust Yoshimo's constant attempts to get me to talk about my backstory.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
:stare: I need to read some Dark Sun poo poo.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Finally able to sit down long enough to play for a little bit, and the Planar Sphere is now mine. Spoilers, anybody who hasn't played this like I hadn't: After I put the golem back together, I thought he was going to open the door, we'd have a fight with something and that would be it. Nope! And I wasn't expecting a beholder, of all monsters. I'm pretty sure he went down easily because the golem was taking all of his attention up.

The rest was either really easy or really hard. The red wizard that attacks you for siding with Valygar went down like a chump. One breach and then Minsc chunked him. The demon fights took me a few tries until I was able to isolate one of them, then move to the next, and I saved the one on the upper left for last. Judicious buffing and a that fire shield the staff of fire +2 gave me kept me alive for that one. I have two extra demon hearts now. Is there any use for them, or can I just drop them somewhere inappropriate?

Probably my favorite dungeon in the game so far, thematically. I've saved the Knights of Solamnia already, and have a group of apprentices crafting magic items for me. So that's awesome! While they're off building me stuff, I'm headed out to Windspear Hills to finally return those acorns.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

bike tory posted:

You only need one heart, so you actually only have to kill one demon. The quests and assignments for your apprentices are finicky, it's very easy to end up with all of them dying. None of the rewards are amazing so it's nbd but just don't expect to get optimal rewards from it without looking at a guide.

I figured that might be the case, but just to be sure and for the xp I took care of all three demons. I'm not trying to be optimal, just to experience the game organically - if some of my apprentices dies, that'll be pretty funny.

I'm down on the second level of the Windspear Hills dungeon. Those vampiric mists were assholes and taught me a valuable lesson about negative plane protection. None of the fights were too bad on the first level and it was a bit smaller than I was expecting. I thought about jumping into the big pit, but decided against it for now. I may come back to it though since I just had a TPK on the group of mummies and the vampire. I tried to bottle up the doorway with Minsc, and he was just pounded to death almost immediately. The cookbook mentioned a single mummy! Gonna rest up and readjust my spells for that group. I'm thinking a fire elemental summon to open up with, then a cascade of fireballs while everyone else buffs or attacks from a distance.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Random thoughts as I went back to the city to sell, recuperate and get ready to delve back into the windspear hills dungeon.

- Really Jan, immediately upon entering you have a quest that needs to happen right now? Fine.
- You could have let me know you'll be leaving my party until it's finished, you jackass.
- Jesus Anomen, relax. You don't need to wish genocide upon gnomes to be a knight, do you? You suck.
- I pick up Yoshimo to round out my party and give me some trapping abilities - and I go to the docks district. Dammit, now I have another thing I have to worry about. I hadn't been there yet so I didn't know about his little quest with the local thieves guild. gently caress it, pass.
- Holy poo poo Aerie, please just stop interrupting me every five minutes to blather on about your past. The schmaltzy music when you talk doesn't help.
- Oh, of course, we also have to go to Anomen's little graduation ceremony now. 2 days? Fine, we'll just get it over with. I have the feeling this will make him even more insufferable.
- Githyanki? What, am I playing NWN2? They went down quickly. This Hidden guy must be really weak.
- :stare:
- Aw, one of my apprentices bit it. That's the danger of playing with magic, kids!
- Jan's back in my party, Yoshimo is chilling in the Coronet, and I'm going into the sewers to find out about this Unseeing Eye business. I hate sewer levels, and it seems like every single place I visit has a drat sewer.

So far Jan is funny, Minsc is Minsc, Valygar is a cardboard cutout of a character, and Anomen and Aerie set me teeth to grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Aerie being the constant "oh charname you are the coolest and can I tell you in extreme detail about my tragic past" is really irritating. I don't know I'd have felt about it in 2002 or whenever it originally came out, but here it's just - good god Aerie, we just finished killing a lich and it's undead minions before they destroy the city and now you think is the best time to ask me if you've told me about when your wings were ripped off? If she wasn't so useful in battle - and I can't help taking the "nice" dialogue options because I'm a big softie.

Deep underneath the sewers now. The empathic demon or whatever it was called in the temple took me quite a while to puzzle out. But once I did, I've found myself smuggled into a cave underneath the head beholder's lair and I'm fighting my way through some fleshy construct gross thing with pustules and other nastiness. I'm really glad I splurged on Balduran's Shield, after I fought the three beholders immediately after the broken bridge. Would minor spell deflection also reflect the beholder attacks? The graphic illustration is the same, and it would be helpful to give Anomen the shield and my MC could just use spell deflection.

Edit: Yeah, thinking on it, I'm probably going to drop Valygar from my party after I polish this dungeon off. Yoshimo would be the easiest one to pick up, but Jan is already doing fine with traps/locks. Maybe another caster? I sent Keldorn away when I found him in the sewers - I'm guessing he's just chilling in the temple. Is he a cleric as well, or a paladin?

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 19, 2018