Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008
e: With regards to tanking in IWD2, a fighter in light armour with high dex and the expertise feat can survive as well as the more traditional full plate + shield approach.

Mzbundifund posted:

The biggest worry here is your first guy. He's not a bad build at all, but once you start taking paladin levels, you're locked into that class. The minute you take a level in a class that isn't paladin, you can never go back. It's perfectly fine if you take some fighter levels, THEN go into paladin, but if you start with one paladin level, and then take some fighter levels, you can never go back to paladin. So just take your four fighter levels first. You'll be fine without paladin stuff that early anyway. Make sure your fighter is lawful good though, you still need to fulfill the paladin prerequisites. Power attack is a great feat, good choice there.
Paladins of Helm are able to multiclass freely as fighters without preventing them from gaining levels as a paladin. Paladins of Mystra can mulitclass as wizards and paladins of Ilmater can multiclass as Painbearers.

no thanks fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008

Sleep of Bronze posted:

You're all weird. :colbert:
Agreed. I like to hit things with swords and use my mages as artillery. I want to fill my level 5 slots with cone of cold, not breach.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008

Furism posted:

In IWD1, I just got teleported back to the first city, with a magic sphere around it. How far into the game am I?

The end, you won't be able to travel anywhere else. Have a brief wander around then make your way to the temple of Tempus.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008
IWD is 2e, hence no barbarians or sorcerers. There is no Use Magic Device, and bards can only pick pockets - they don't have access to other thief skills.

A pure class thief isn't really necessary, you may want to consider a dualing once you've got a decent Find Traps score.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008
At this point in the game you should have 2 sets of full plate - 1 from the blacksmith in Beregost, 1 from Taugozs Khosann i the Bandit Camp, both of these should still be available to you. There is another suit, plus a suit of plate mail +3, in Durlag's Tower, but as has been stated, if you can get these you don't need our help.

You're at the point where most people do the TotSC content, it sounds like you need to do a bit more exploring before you jump in to that. Fights against other adventuring group-type parties are the toughest in the game, cast some pre-buff spells and don't be afraid of using wands and potions to get through them.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008
If you have completed chapter 5 & 6 then TotSC is within your capabilities, perhaps do a bit more exploring and try to pick up some more powerful gear (e.g. Helm and Cloak of Balduran, Ring of Protection +2, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, some of the +2 weapons if you don't already have them, some fancy potions/scrolls from Sorcerous Sundries) then go for the Ice Isle, Balduran's Island and finally Durlag's Tower.

DT is one of the best dungeons in the series, and is closer in its design to the places you'll encounter in BG2 than what you are used to so far.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008
If you're hell-bent on a 4 man party with one of them being a bard, I'd suggest something like this:

Fighter/Paladin/Ranger or something
Multiclass Fighter/Cleric
Thief dualled to mage at around level 4
Bard

Covers all the bases and ensure you won't have too hard a time (relatively speaking, IWD can be tough first time round).

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

So I hear. All the talk of level drain makes me want an Undead Hunter too. All the talk I've seen regarding BG2's encounter design makes me think taking a party of anything but Undead Hunter, Inquisitor, Conjurer, Cleric/Mage, Mage/Thief, (Insert Favorite other class here but prefer some form of another mage) is absolutely retarded and won't finish the game. But what do I know? BG1 wasn't nearly as bad as I was led to believe so BG2 probably won't be that bad either.
If you're playing unmodded BG2, pick whatever you want. The game is beatable with any combination of NPCs, some of them will be better than others, but seriously just choose whoever entertains you the most. If you want advice on how to optimise someone in particular, ask in the thread, but you'll be fine just muddling through and exploring for yourself.

I'd recommend sticking with the character you had in BG1 so you get the whole 'epic hero's journey' thing going on. And boy is it epic, I envy people discovering this game for the first time.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008
Against Aec'Letec I've had success only sending one character down there, as you only have to pay attention to what protections they have, not the whole party's.

Buff them up with everything you've got, go take out the cultists and ignore the demon. Once they're all dead, go back up to re-buff, then back down to deal with the demon itself (or wait for it to come up, then hit it hard).

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008

Lucas Archer posted:

Back in Icewind Dale 1, and I'm currently battling through Lower Dorn's Deep. Dealing with these enemies has been a pain, but I've been making good progress (aside from my cleric dying randomly after a boss battle, so I had to take a week trip back to Kuldahar to raise him). Then I got to the room with the big bladed skeletons. And mummy's. And zombie lords. I'm going to need to tailor my spells for that fight I'm thinking. Finding 9th level spell scrolls is such a tease.

Destroying the Idol will immediately destroy all the undead in the room.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008
NWN 2 has its high points. These are mostly in the middle third of the game, like the Keep, Shandra, the trial, etc. Unfortunately you're nowhere near those yet and have still got plenty of slogging through bladelings and orcs before you get to the good stuff. And it dips again towards the end, then goes off a cliff at the finale.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008
I remember the post from one of the IWD2 dev team on the old Black Isle forums asking what we thought about them converting it to 3e. This was mid-way through development and everyone was taken by surprise, but the response was an overwhelming 'uh...sure'.

I haven't played the game for 10+ years, but for a game that was so rushed there were still nice little touches, like the a reaction to you carrying a dead cat around for the entire game, or finding loose change down the side of the mayor of Targos' sofa. There were callbacks to the previous game, but I don't think it was excessive given that they were set in the same location only a few decades apart.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Would it be possible to do a run of IWD with only paladins. I've never played before and a knightly order seems like a fun party concept

Achievable, but maybe not for a first play through. The mostly random loot makes it difficult to spec your characters without knowing what weapons you're going to get. Traps can be really frustrating, although rarely immediately lethal.

Paladins are a great choice for IWD, they have some interesting dialogue options and acces to the best longsword in the game. But a party of them is likely to be dull as you don't really have any CC/AOE options; you'll just be auto-attacking your way through the hordes of enemies thrown at you. Maybe take a couple of them, then add in a fighter/cleric and thief/mage, then maybe one or two others as you see fit.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008

Gooch181 posted:

Finished Kresselack's Tomb and have been instructed to search for a druid artifact in the next area. I have a decent nestegg of gold and there's a bunch of tempting items for sale in Kuldahar; I'm having trouble deciding if I should buy some of them, and which ones might be highest priority. I've got like 19.6K gold. Most of the fancy weapons are out of my budget, but there's some plate armor+1 and the Helm of the Trusted Defender tempting me. There's a robe that sounds like it'd give my sorcerer and extra daily cast of a level one spell, and a cloak with some damage resist. Hard choices!

All good shopping choices, I often buy the plate mail and the robe. You've quite a while before you get Full Plate.

You're unlikely to need to buy any weapons, you should find enough of them as loot, especially longswords and axes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008

rope kid posted:

It's not that challenging with the EE due to the inclusion of kits (IMO).

I spent too much time on r/icewinddale recommending that newcomers stick to the core classes so as not to throw off the balance, but got drowned out by the 'take an undead slayer, archer and sorcerer' crowd.