Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's been about 5 years since I attempted playing BG using Tutu. Now that the EEs are out I'm thinking about buying BGEE after I finish Pillars. I've been creeping through this thread and I'm seeing talk of +3 and +4 arrows and I can't remember, are arrows are a limited item or not? I hope I can keep my RPG momentum going and plow through Pillars and BG. Although I've been thinking about going into IW because I'm a sucker for the combat in these games and as I get older I care less about stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What happened with the original MGS theme?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
There used to be a Pillars of Eternity thread but I can't find it so I'm asking here. I'm wondering what's the best time to do White Marches Pt 2? My path so far had been Act 1, most of Act 2 and several levels of the big dungeon in my keep, Wgute Marches Pt 1, finish Act 2, and begin Act 3. When I entered Act 3 I opted to scale up enemies.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I jumped on the sale on Beamdog for BG 1 and 2. Waiting for them to send me Steam keys through their support still. Just need to wrap up Act 3 in Pillars and it's finally time to play BG. :)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Beamdog support emailed me my Steam keys this morning. I'm going to dig into this in a week or two.

Several years ago I played about up to getting to Baldur's Gate as a Cleric and enjoyed that, but I'm thinking of rolling something new. Maybe an Inquisitor or Dwarven Defender. Do DD's get fun active abilities?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm getting ready to start my first play of BGEE and BG2EE. I've only played this once about five years ago, and I only got up to Baldur's Gate before something happened to my save file. My character was a Cleric and I was enjoying it, but now I'm thinking of doing something different.

I'm considering a a Dwarf Fighter/Cleric, Thief/Cleric, Thief->Cleric dual class, or maybe even an Inquisitor. I'm really not sure what I want to do but I'm having fun killing my breaks at work reading about the possibilities. I've even heard about a Beastmaster/Cleric that can summon bears and rule the day! I posted a few weeks ago and it sounds like straight Fighters (in my considerations the Dwarven Defender) is boring. I want spells and abilities! What are some fun classes to pair with Cleric? I can't explain why, but as I get older I'm gravitating toward cleric, priest, etc classes in my RPGs.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is it possible to combine Inquisitor with Cleric?

One more question: is it possible to transfer saves between iPhone and PC? I'd love to be able to play this in bed and then pick up where I left off on my PC.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 23, 2017

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How do I select a kit when creating a character in BGEE? I feel really stupid right now at the charger creation screen.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
You're right. Thanks for confirming I'm dumb tonight.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I sat down at 8 this morning to start playing BG. First thing I did was pick up Kaleed and Jahera and the next thing I knew it was 2pm and I was coming out of the Nashkel Mines. Holy poo poo thus games great. I'm on my way to the Gnoll Stronghold and reconsidering my party. I'm rolling as a dwarf F/C with the Canon group so far. But I'm thinking of dropping Kaleed and Jahera or maybe just Kaleed. Feel like my party has too many dudes on the front line.

Also do druids get some good CC spells beyond tangle?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So assuming I drop Khaleed I'll be rolling with my F/C, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir, and Imoen. That'll give my F/C, Jaheira, Minsc on the front line, with Dynaheir and Imoen on the back line. I'm still toying with dual classing Imoen to mage cause that seems to be what most folks do (this is my first real run through the game). So perhaps I should look to pick up another Thief to cover for Imoen while she levels up as a mage later on.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I dominated the mines today with a group of level 1-2 dudes on normal. The boss guy at the end was tough until I remembered to cast magic missile with a wand Imoen was carrying. That poo poo interrupted his bullshit paralesys spell.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I checked it a description of Coran and I read, "In game canon, Coran adventured with the party during the events of Baldur's Gate, leaving the group some time before the final battle with Sarevok." Does he leave the party before the end of the game?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Thank you all for the a Coran help! Next question: is it safe to sell this diamond I found very early on? They don't seem to have a use in BG1, correct?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Why can my dwarf F/C not wear a right of the princes +1 and chain mail +1 at the same time?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was thinking about using EEKeeper to redistribute Imoen's thief skills from pick pockets (35 base) into lockpick and detect traps to bring those to 90 and 75, given my current stat distribution. However I don't think I understand how EEKeeper calculates thief skills because after moving my points around and loading my game, Imoen has 115 lock pick.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is the black Pits stuff stand alone or does that content interact with BG, SOD, or BG2?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So I'm really getting into BG and I'm thinking of grabbing SOD whilst it's on sale. I can take my F/C through BG > SOD > BG2, correct?

How does transferring between games work? Will I begin SOD with the stats, proficiencies, spells, and items that I ended with in BG?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Speaking of ranged, Minsc's 2-hander broke while I was adventuring so I made him actually use the composite long bow I bought for him and he's a raining death now. It's incredible.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

Eh, even just keeping the "good" magic items you have a poo poo ton of stuff by like 1/3-1/2 way through SoA.

I gain much satisfaction from scrolling down through my hoard of items, its worth the time to edit my save.

Is cheating in bags done with EE Keeper? I used that yesterday to redistribute Imoen's thief skills and to change proficiency points. I'm getting annoyed at my inventory filling up and sending me back to town earlier than I'd like to go. Bags would be handy just to keep my bullets, arrows, and spare weapons organized.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Lol that was a copy paste off some insane persons reddit thread. Some of the stuff people post on there is only slightly more intelligible than Lum the Mad

How anyone can not see bg2 as a clear improvement in almost every way is nuts lol

Party banter owns

I saw the post on reddit earlier in the day then read your post and thought I was going crazy. Then I shrugged and said, "that crazy person is a goon I guess."

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Icewind Dale sounds incredible to me cause the parts of BG I'm enjoying most is developing my team for combat. I feel constrained by the game given some of the wacky stat and proficiency distributions on style charterers. Being able to control everything about my party of six and then taking them on a big dungeon crawl sounds awesome.

I think I'm going to buy SOD and IWD before this same concludes.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So speed determines when an attack is dealt... So if two dudes are in combat with one another and if Dude A has a faster weapon than Dude B, Dude A's attack happens first? Do I have that straight? What happens in the event of two identical speeds? Which is a faster speed, 4 or 6?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
No dont say this about Warhammers! I'm having fun with a dwarf F/C that's smashing things with some electric Warhammer I found.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My strength is 18/98 and I'm using Ashideena. I'm only in in BG and a quick look at a wiki shows Hammer of Thunderbolts is in BG2. Just got a bit of time till I get there I suppose.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Good cause my philosophy in games lately is to hit things with hammers as often as possible.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My take on BG and POE stats is this:
POE stats don't make much sense but it doesn't seem to matter (on hard mode at least). The only time I think about stats is when I hit something and deal no damage, so I try a different type of damage until it works.

BG stats are complicated and I feel like I need to understand them to finish the game. There are lots of BG stats but they make sense to me, unlike Pillers.

I'm almost 31 and have been gaming forever, but only started BG last week. POE and BG are both fun. That's my take.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I only just realized the person at the top of the list of characters controls shop prices so I moved Imoen (she's my highest char party member) to the top slot, but now the T formation I like to use has Imoen front and center with her bow. Can I edit formations to have my party leader in a different position? I'd like to have my PC F/C back in the front and center position. I'm playing BGEE if it matters.

Next questions: How the heck do I finish Chapter 3? I didn't clear Peldsvale or Larswood, I only entered one of them and passed straight through it to the bandit camp. I cleared the big tent in the bandit camp, talked to Ender Sai, and opened the trapped chest. I know I have to go to Cloakwood and that it's to the west of the Friendly Arm Inn, but I can't see it on my map and exiting the FFA to the west doesn't mark the Cloakwood on my map. I'm not sure what I didn't do, but Chapter 4 won't trigger which I'm guessing is what opens the Cloakwood. Halp!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 29, 2017

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is Dynaheir and a mage Imoen too many mages in one party? I just picked up Coran, Booted Khalid, and dialed Imoen to mage. I'm running F/C PC, Minsc, and Jaheira on the front line, with Coran on bows, Dynaheir, and Imoen in the back. I'm considering ditching Dynaheir for Kivan because composite long bows seem to hit like a truck, but I can see value in casting two spells at the same time too.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm having great fun loading Dynaheir up with 3x horrors and then firing magic missiles at scared enemies with her and Imoen while the rest of my party dishes out physical damage. Also Draw Upon Holy Might + Bless + Chant is incredible.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Can you mod in some bags? Someone suggested doing that for Baldur's Gate recently.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Are magical two hand swords uncommon in BG? I have at least one magical weapon for each of my characters except Minsc. I'm near the end of ch 4 if that matters.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does armor type affect the success of thief skills? For context: I'm using Coran and I'm wondering if putting him in chain mail over leather armor would reduce the success of lock pick, hide in shadows, and detect traps.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh duh, I should have known this. I noticed as soon as I posted I couldn't hide in shadows and lockpick as Coran but didn't make the connection. I was thinking heavier armor would reduce the chances of things happening. It's still early in the day and I'm only one cup of coffee in.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
While I really like this game in curious when collar will be getting more involved. I'm clearing out the Cloakwood Mines and to this point combat has been mostly ganging up in enemies and beating them down and shooting arrows or slinging rocks. I'm starting to get some interesting sounding spells on my mages, my cleric, and my druid - when will I be tapping into the buffs and rebuffs? I'm playing on normal, should I bump it up to hard?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I have sleep on Imoen but haven't had a cause to use it yet. I've been using her to cast horror and Dynaheir to cast damaging spells. I love horror because I can cast it over my melee fighters and it doesn't affect them. I have haste but haven't used it yet. I use bless + chant for challenging fights.

I've also started to experiment with Coran using back stand with some magic ice long sword. If he lands his backstab, and he usually does, the enemy is chunked. I love sneaking him behind enemy casters before starting fights. Previously I'd fire a barrage of magic missiles at the caster to give my my F/C a chance to cast silence. Now though I'm finding enemy casters are no match for Coran.

I loving love this game. I intended to finish PoE this summer but BG has its hooks in me hard. I'm real pumped for Imoen to hit level 6 as a mage so I can start shooting arrows with her!

On a final thought, are there any mods that show the footprint of AOE spells? I'm getting tired of guessing the area that will be impacted y the likes of entangle, web, and fireball.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Coran is my VIP! The wizard at the end of chapter 4 was a real bastard until I removed his illusions and Coran landed a backstab the chunked him!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm spending the work day listening to the IWD soundtrack and it's real good. I like it better than any of the music I've heard from BG. I'm getting even more excited to play it after BG!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm doing BG > SOD > BG2.

How high do you level through IWD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Should I be casting Chant before or after combat begins? My initial understanding was it casts a spell that affects every unit in the AOE, similar to Bless, but after a short exchange on Reddit I'm left wondering if that's how it works or if its an aura of sorts that affects units as they enter and exit the aura.