Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
So I've recently beat IWD2, and I was thinking of going back in to do Heart of Fear or w/e the bonus mode is called with a party that beat the game.

Do you have to have a super optimized comp to run through it, or is it viable to just say 'gently caress it' and go with whatever you have, with the right strategy or tactics or w/e?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Yeah, my dudes were like 16/17 by the end of the last fight.

Good to hear that I can just jump into it though. New items, tougher fights...should be an interesting challenge.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Speaking of IWD2, in the middle of my HoF run (pretty interesting New Game+ mode,) I was doing the trials to be an honorary monk or w/e (essentially cheesing a bunch of solo challenges with a high level spellcaster,) and for some reason the game freaked out and gave all my other characters 30 levels and a bunch of points in all of their stats. At some point, I'm going to edit them back to normal with DaleKeeper, but it's still pretty weird suddenly seeing dudes with over 1k health and like 25+ in every stat.

What would cause something like that to happen? I didn't notice it until after I was done with a couple of the trials, so I'm not exactly sure when it triggered, but it just seems so weird and rather arbitrary, I don't really know what to make of it still.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Playing PST for the first time and oh my god there is so much to do I just got out of the mortuary and it's so overwhelming. :(

There is literally just so much stuff that it's like I have so much to do but no idea on how to go about it.

You spend tons of time in Sigil, just talk to people with names and do stuff that sounds interesting/fun. If you really want a starting point though, I'd recommend:

-Heading to ragpicker's square and talking to the healer lady there, and do her side stuff to unlock a good class.

-Head to the south west or east part of town, forget which, to the Smoldering Corpse Bar. There, you can pick up a new party member besides just TNO and Morte, and start on some sidequests while getting a permanent stat buff, potentially. The guys to talk to would be: Dak'kon, the bartender, and O. Everyone else there is good for lore/quest stuff, but those 3 are the most important.

Otherwise, just do poo poo and enjoy the game, if you're playing for the first time. It's really, really good, and I wish I could play it for the first time again.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
So Khalid just asked for some spider silk...the problem is, I've already cleared out a cave full of spiders/beetles, where I assume you would have to go for that.

I guess I should just move on anyway, see if there's some silk to get in the next few areas? These companion quests seem a bit strange that way, like I'm never really sure if I should try to power through the main plot to get them and then do their side stuff, or just do whatever.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
There's a container right at the end of SoD...

in the part just when you're leaving baldur's gate, the tunnel area with slimes and a couple of crawlers. There's a rock with a keyhole. Presumably a key you would've gotten earlier in the game? What's in it? Where do you get this mysterious key?

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 4, 2016

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Well, the XP cap is set to 500k for SoD, so you'd play basically the entire thing as a low level mage, which doesn't seem very fun to me? I guess it would make it more challenging?

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

Bobfly posted:

Am I correct in assuming that basically no mods work with this new expansion yet?

So far it seems that dialog.tlk is very fragile, anything that messes with that seems to break item descriptions, proficiencies, stuff like that.

I played through SoD even with this, but it's probably better to hold off on mods until we get patches helping that out.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Usually spells cost one or more rare/expensive materials, hence sometimes straight conversion to money.Most of the time, though, a spell will cost, like, "a valuable jewel/pearl, worth approximately x gp." As opposed to straight up money.

e;fb, better answer.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Rangers/Paladins are competent fighters that get some nice utility (Rangers get two free pips in dual wielding for DPS shenanigans and some cleric spells, Paladins get tons of stuff based on their kit,) so their value is based on this plus their ability to not immediately keel over in a fight. I'm finding CHARNAME Ranger pleasant and about as good as, say a Fighter or a Kitted Fighter through BG1 and SoD, but I could see how you would rather make a Kensai or a Berserker if you want to straight up paste dudes a bit better. Ranger's got a nice mix of both, I feel, especially as you get higher levels and they get HLAs and more spells to use for buffing or healing, makes them work as a multipurpose member of the party, which I feel is important for CHARNAME in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
I mean that's basically what the BG Trilogy is on a modded playthrough, assuming SCS or the equivalent.

I tried it out on a lark, and the amount of protections that every single spellcasting enemy had was infuriating. Definitely do not recommend.