Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
It looks like it's critical path complete, at least for SoA, but requires some fiddling. It also hasn't been actively developed in a long, long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Arcaeris posted:

Since when did they take the Boots of Speed off Drizzt? And don't say he doesn't have them because he obviously moves at twice regular speed. I had to have my PC quaff an oil of speed just keep away from him while the gnolls/her arrows finished his rear end off.

EDIT:
Also what sense does it make that an Archer can't wear mithril chain mail +4 but can wear ankheg plate mail? Even a loving Thief can wear that chain.

Archers aren't specifically disallowed from wearing plate mail, they just aren't allowed to wear metal armor. Mithril is certainly metal, but the plates of an Ankheg aren't (although the description of Ankheg Plate Mail makes it sound like it is ordinary plate mail sheathed in ankheg chitin, but that wouldn't really explain the lighter weight). It's arguably a bug in BG2 that Archers are disallowed from wearing Red Dragon Scale and Blue Dragon Plate, although they can wear White Dragon Scale and Shadow Dragon Scale.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
The Shade Lord in SCS2 is hard as gently caress. It has an AoE level drain that (iirc) heals itself and NPP only lasts 5 rounds.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Because they were deliberately extorting you to make up for the fact that Bodhi is literally bleeding them dry.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
That's a BG2:EE bug.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wait what's a BG2EE bug? Because if the EE doesn't let me access Watchers Keep in SoA I'm gonna be pretty loving annoyed.

Some people have an issue with the EE where Watcher's Keep doesn't appear on the map during SoA.

e: it's listed here in the list of known issues

John McCain fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 22, 2013

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Molybdenum posted:

the eye doesn't have the sling, I was mistaken. I still want that treasure though!

The only thing that's in there is a single diamond.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Agreed, Thief gameplay without Mislead is just more tedious Fighter gameplay.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Anyone use Detect Illusion? I pumped it up to 100 on my F/M/T and it's pretty handy. Find Traps is like a slow-casting True Sight now. I read elsewhere that it can dispel Project Image and Simulacrum, too. Any of you actually experience that?

Detect Illusions is insanely useful because it automatically dispels all illusions regardless of immunity (so unlike True Sight, Immunity: Divination doesn't protect against it) and it's even nonmagical so magic resistance doesn't do poo poo against it. On top of all that, you can even use it during combat (if you attack and then turn on Find Traps, you will do both simultaneously).

e: It is impossible to overstate how good Detect Illusions is at dispelling any and all invisibility/illusory spells.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Yes, all GOG versions are fully compatible with mods (iirc, some of the releases actually come with at least one mod [DDFix, for compatibility for newer graphics cards that don't handle DirectDraw properly] preinstalled).

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Well, the people who get captured with you and are therefore in the dungeon when you wake up are Imoen, Minsc, Jaheira, and Khalid, and Minsc says that Dynaheir died during the kidnapping, so that's where it's written.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Factor_VIII posted:

Are you thinking of Dragon's Breath? That haldberd is +4. And where are you getting that the +2 Mace of Disruption strikes as a +5 weapon for damage immunity? It doesn't say that in its description.

It doesn't say it in the description, but it's true. The MoD +1 is +3 for immunity purposes and the MoD +2 is +5 for immunity purposes. You can look them up in Near Infinity yourself if you want (BLUN12 and BLUN25).

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

I would think that a longsword +1 would do more than 11 damage on triple damage multiplier? Otherwise what would be the point when that is the same same as normal damage.

You got a lovely damage roll (either a 1 or a 2) to begin with. Longsword +1 will do 1d8+1 base, so the minimum Backstab x3 non-crit is 6 (before strength and other additions) and the maximum is 27.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
You're pretty arcane-heavy (not that that's a bad thing). Melee or divine caster would probably work out pretty well. Perhaps a MC Ranger/Cleric or a level 9 dualclass.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
The Level 1 NPC mod is not compatible with either BG1EE or BG2EE.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Icewind Dale 2, Yquog in the Cleric's Tower in the Severed Hand.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Smol posted:

Most likely you'll hit time limits on the stronghold quests though, so you might want to finish them before Spellhold.

Quest timers are certainly paused during C5 and iirc they are paused during C4 (departure to Brynnlaw) as well.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Has there been any word on Ascension compatibility for BG2EE yet?

It's not compatible yet.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

I honestly don't know why they removed so many of the config options from the original games. I assume they just crank everything to 11 just cuz, but things like AI updates should be changeable.

AFAIK pretty much everything is still changeable, you just have to go through the .ini file instead of having the nice GUI.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

verybad posted:

It's not like INT is terribly important for mages unless you're playing on Core+/No-Reload, either.

The EEs actually have spell scribing limits based on Int implemented.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

caleramaen posted:

F/M/C sounds neat, and is totally viable to do. But it doesn't really have any advantages over M/C that would justify further weakening your XP gain and sacrificing most of your HLA's.

Extra attacks is a pretty big deal if you're interested in playing primarily melee rather than primarily caster.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Excelzior posted:

Eh, once you get Tenser's Transformation any and all fighter levels are useless. Improved haste'd Tenser's, what up?

Tenser's Transformation doesn't grant any extra attacks. That means a M/C with Improved Haste still only gets 2 APR.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

oswald ownenstein posted:

Never quite understood the hate for Rogues - my fighters and mages have more than enough OP goodness in them to deal with the challenges of the game, so what if I've got a dude that only brings traps and lockpicking to the table?

It's not really "hate" for rogues, it's just acknowledgement that they're not really worth using in terms of battle effectiveness.

e: assuming no metagaming/trap exploits

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

oswald ownenstein posted:

Is 'run up, backstab, run away, restealth, repeat' considered metagaming?

Because that nonsense got me through quite a bit of BG1 as a youngster in the yorish day of 1998.

No, not really, but it's a lot of micromanagement for relatively small return.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Level 7 (in order from most vital to least vital):

Project Image, Mordenkainen's Sword, Ruby Ray of Reversal (if using SCS), Limited Wish, Power Word: Stun, Spell Sequencer, Mass Invisibility, Spell Turning, Ruby Ray of Reversal (no SCS), Delayed Blast Fireball

Level 8:

Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, Power Word: Blind, Spell Trigger, Simulacrum, Pierce Shield (replaces Ruby Ray if you can afford to wait), Bigby's Clenched Fist

Level 9 (non HLAs):

Time Stop, Chain Contingency, Shapechange, Wish, Spell Trap, Spellstrike, Black Blade of Disaster (gets bumped up to above Spell Trap if you have a fix for the Grand Mastery effect)

HLAs:

Improved Alacrity, Summon Planetar, Dragon's Breath, Energy Blades, Scribe 6/7/8

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

maev posted:

Haste and dual-wield motherfucker. poo poo gets stoved.

Even with Improved Haste, Viconia still ever only gets 2 MH/2 OH APR, which makes her a garbage choice compared to...well, literally anyone who gets more than 1 APR base.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

Also, I feel the need to add, a LOT of the good bows in the game, especially early on, are random loot, so you could get hosed over somewhat with this kind of bow-heavy party. That extra attack one in Dragon's Eye for example. A single archer shouldn't have an issue arming themselves though.

Nah, Messenger of Sseth always drops. There's a 4 base APR Longbow +4 (Longbow +4: Hammer) that's random loot in Dorn's Deep though.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

OK, if the main difficulty is the length of time I think I can deal with that, still trying to work out what my BG2 party is going to be (part of me wants to drop keldorn to try someone new, but he's too amazing to pass up) but I think I should be able to carry myself through the early game without too much trouble.

Level 13 for a Fighter is 1.25m XP, and Level 14 Mage (to get your Kensai levels back) is another 1.5m XP. The XP cap in SoA is 2.95m, and that's roughly how much experience you will have in a full 6 person party when you finish SoA. That means you're going to spend the vast majority of the game as an underleveled single-class Mage if you don't do some significant exploiting.

Level 9 Fighter is only 250k XP and level 10 Mage is only another 250k XP, which means that you can get your Kensai abilities back very quickly in SoA, even with a full party.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Colgate posted:

So having gotten Enhanced Edition 1 & 2 for Christmas, I decided on Elf Fighter/Thief for a new playthrough. I plan on taking the character through both games and I have a few questions.

For the ranged option, I realize shortbows end up being than longbows in the long-term, but is the difference really that great?

No. Bows and Crossbows are actually pretty lovely in BG2:EE because Overhaul has changed most other ranged weapons (throwing daggers, slings, and axes, but not darts) to receive a damage bonus from Strength. Combine that with the fact that Bows and Crossbows generally do not get enchantment bonuses to damage on either the launcher or the ammunition in BG2 (though they do in BG1), and the fact that the elemental bonus damage on several types of Bow ammunition was nerfed pretty severely (Fire and Ice arrows from 1d6 elemental bonus damage to 1d2, Acid from 2d6 to 1d3) and Bow/Crossbow damage really drops off significantly in BG2 compared to BG1.

For that reason, it doesn't matter too much which option you pick. Short Bows are generally considered the best option because they have the 2 base APR of Bows rather than the 1 base APR of Crossbows, and (even in BG2:EE) you can exploit the Short Bow of Gesen to get an additional 1d8 Electrical damage with whatever ammunition you choose to use. Firetooth is the Crossbow equivalent of this, with its 1d8 + (2 Fire) damage applying even when you use an equipped bolt.

Colgate posted:

What damage modifiers actually work with Backstab (I remember reading that STR modifiers don't apply)

Backstab damage = ((base damage + proficiency bonus + item enchantment bonus + Skald bard song etc) x backstabbing multiplier + strength bonus ) x critical hit multiplier + additional weapon damage (e.g. the elemental damage from the Flail of Ages)

Colgate posted:

Is Set Snares worth it in the first game, or should I wait for the second game before investing in that?

No idea, sorry.

Colgate posted:

I'm thinking of using the Wild Mage and Monk NPCs. Do they appear in BG2 as well? I'm guessing using that INT tome on the wild mage won't carry over if so.

Yes, they do. Nothing you do to non-PC characters will carry over from game to game in the EEs.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Looks like something hosed with your dialog.tlk.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
The Spellhold Studios server version of the readme is for a very old version. You can get to the newest version from the mod forum. The mod itself is up-to-date, too, so you can download it and read the readme that way.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
They're a poo poo company, that's how. Here's another ridiculous unfixed bug: you can't Slayer Change more than once.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Wingless posted:

I have only ever used slayer change to drop my reputation deliberately as an evil party.

Protection from level drain, imprisonment, and stun (among other things) is hugely useful. 4 base APR with 25 strength and a base weapon that does 1d8 crushing + 2 cold and hits as a +5 weapon for enchantment purposes means that you don't sacrifice huge amounts of damage in melee either.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

tirinal posted:

Has there been word on when or even if we'll be getting a BG2EE patch that addresses all the stupid bugs and potentially adds content?

Probably a long-rear end time. They seem to have only one team, and that team is now working on the Android port. It'll probably be months before BG2:EE gets another patch.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Because you can only use ctrl+8 at the character creation screen. It's useless once you've started the game.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
The widescreen mod can run at essentially any resolution and has an option for windowed or fullscreen.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

zedprime posted:

Unless GoG fixed it the PST renderer is hacked enough that you need a wrapper as the normal wide screen mod can't force windowed. There should be records of which people used to use because prior to GoG you needed a wrapper just so spell effects wouldnt crash the game.

Whoops, you're right, the widescreen mod doesn't have windowed support for PS:T (or TotSC).

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Throwing daggers get a bonus attack (or at least they should - whether they actually do or not depends on exactly which game version you're playing).

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

sweart gliwere posted:

I'm going to, confidently and without evidence, say no. You may be able to import the characters in the sense of names and stats and portraits, but any dialogue or development will lack the scripted triggers of whatever EE devs did. You pass by the previously unimportant villager who now is supposed to know weird secrets about your buddy and nothing happens.

If you ever played back at release, stuff like InfinityExplorer and GateKeeper let you play around with dozens of event flags. The flags (SetViconiaRescued or SetSpiderladyHostile or VillageHatesYou whatever) let the game keep track of changes and relationships without needing to use massive save files.

Could be completely wrong. But I played the games a bunch around initial release.

Literally nothing except equipment carries over from BG1 to BG2 in the non-Enhanced game anyway (and I doubt they changed BG2EE to make anything carry over from BG1EE). No plot variables or anything were ever saved. There's no reason to think you'd have any trouble importing from BG1EE to vanilla BG2 unless you have character kits or items that were added in the EE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Friendly fire is always on in all the IE games.