Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Max Wilco posted:

I memorized some spells, but as soon as I used them, they disappeared. I think I know the process for memorization. You select spells from the book, then rest somewhere and they are available to cast. Is there a way to stack a spell multiple times?

I should also note that I only have three spells: Chromatic Orb, Identify, and Blood Bridge. Should I have more spells or allies at this point? The only other party member I have is Morte.

On a side note, I've had issues with the game crashing when entering certain screen. For whatever reason, I can't re-enter Mebbeth's house without the game crashing. I've had this happen in other areas to. I think it might have to do with the mods. I followed the mod guide from GOG when I installed the game. Could one of those have something to do with it?

EDIT: I've added the current character stats to check and see if I messed up during character creation:

Your wisdom is low. Wisdom gives you bonus XP and dialogue options that add up to much more XP than you get from combat in this game. There is specifically something you can do very soon that will let you rapidly ascend a few levels as a mage, but your INT and especially your WIS is insufficient. Your build is absolutely playable and the combat in this game isn't difficult outside of one optional late-game dungeon, but you're still very early and could consider restarting if you want.

You are short one party member, and he's one of my favorites. Go to the Smoldering Corpse Bar and talk to Dak'kon. He's going to be better than you or Morte at this point in the game.

There are a lot of spells you could have prior to this point in the game. Ice Knife, Armor, Magic Missile, Strength, and some others are in prior, easier areas waiting to be found. Some other interesting options would require talking to Dak'kon with more WIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Max Wilco posted:

I've had that problem too. I think it is linked to the widescreen mod, but I'm not sure. I noticed that the widescreen mod has been updated to version 3.05, so maybe updating it will work?

So high Wisdom and and high Intelligence are interchangeable in regards to getting the best/most dialogue options, and focusing points into high wisdom works better if you want to play as a fighter. If so, is it easier to play as fighter?

They're not interchangeable at all; Most of the mage-specific dialogue options and a fair number of others require INT. There are also a lot that require WIS specifically, and a fair few that require CHA.

The early game is easier as a fighter, but the real reason things are hard going is that you don't have Dak'kon, who starts out as the best damage dealer and eventually grows up into being good at melee fighting, offensive spellcasting, and casting buffs all at once. You'll need high INT and WIS to utilize all his dialogue options.

I don't know that much about your crashing issue, but the game is perfectly good without mods, especially your first time through. Try disabling the widescreen mod first, because the fixpack adds a fair amount and the tweakpack can eliminate the need for savescumming on level-ups.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Just bought BG1EE during the Steam sale. I'm trying to figure out what mods are compatible with BG1EE while it downloads; I'm mainly interested in the tweakpack and Unfinished Business.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Okay, I have had Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition for a while now and I haven't even really started because I have so much trouble deciding on a party. Can anyone tell me if this has any glaring holes in it/what I should put in the last slot (if anything) or if I should just go ahead and enjoy the game?

Human Undead Hunter
Human Berserker (17 WIS, to dual to Druid later)
Half-Orc Fighter/Cleric
Sorcerer
Human Assassin (17 INT, to dual later)

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Draile posted:

Bring secret character #2 into Curst prison, switch secret character #2 out for secret character #1, use secret character #1 to get the game's only permanent bonus to strength that does not come from the Wish scroll (and only if you're lawful), then switch back to secret character #2 before leaving Curst prison. Problem solved!

I actually think Secret Character #1 has some of the best character moments in the game, but they're not always easy to find, and I think some of them require Unfinished Business/fixpack type fixes to access them consistently.

One of my favorite character moments in video games came when I got Trias to seek Redemption and Vhailor straight-up murdered him anyway based on his medieval conception of justice. Another big realization is when It comes out that the whole reason Vhailor didn't die properly and is a spectre inhabiting a suit of armor is that there's one criminal he hasn't hunted down yet, a criminal who gained immortality by trading an innocent person's life for their own every time they would die, you. And during the endgame It's pretty sick how he can hulk out if you explain that your rogue mortality is what's responsible for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Amused Frog posted:

I've seen a few mentions of time limits in BG. Do you get locked out of quests or get negative outcomes if you take too long or something?

If NPCs keep bugging you about their quest over and over again, that's a hint that they might leave or the quest might become impossible to finish if you don't go take care of it. There's another quest in BG1 that has a specific time limit, but you'll be informed. One specific area later on in BG2 The Drow City has almost all its quests on time limits, for reasons I can't clearly remember.