Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Man watching the stream for the new game just makes me anti hype. They still haven't learned how to make good content.

I think it's more the streamers lack of charisma. They seem like nice people, but they're just not funny or engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

a lot of the new ui stuff looks good, cept for those loving floating health bars. i like we can finally equip a shield and bow and switch between them without having to pull the shield out.

apparently the game is linear as gently caress, as said so by their own streamers which is kinda hilarious, so they added like 3 new extra areas but did not comment if they had changed the main path to be less linear. ah well. also jaheira's original voice actress has fallen off the planet so i guess they recast her?

in any event, this is all content made by modders hired by trent so the quality is going to be real suspect, if i remember right most of the areas were from a very old canceled mod called return to trademeet which had a gently caress ton of new areas made and beamdog bought them all during the early bg1ee dev time.

I'd love to see a source on that if you have one. Return to Trademeet's old-rear end site is still up and doesn't say anything. They do admit that SoD started as a minor expansion to bridge the gap between BGI and BGII which ballooned over the years into this, so who knows.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Botch Philodox posted:

I'm liking some of the UI changes and really hope the toolset opens things up for modders. Yeah, the content in SoD probably isn't going to be very good based on their EE stuff.

Yeah, they don't have a good track record with NPCs. Neera is okay, Rasaad is boring as hell (And is apparently worse in BG2 somehow), but I don't know anything about Dorn and Hexxat, how are they?

quote:

I just like the fact that DLC for an almost 20 year old game even exists. It's pretty crazy to think about actually. BG3 here we come.

I feel the same way- I don't feel very confident about BG3, especially with Gaider on board, but he can't damage the original saga and it will at least be fun to laugh at.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

fong posted:

I remember return to trademeet, didn't it come out of that Spanish modding community?

Italians, actually. Looks like that version was supported much longer than the English version.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm looking for advice on how to mod Baldur's Gate II to do two things, if mods for them aren't already available.

1. A mod that lets me keep playing Shadows of Amn after killing Irenicus in Baator. There's so many sidequests available, but it feels like there's very little room, roleplaying-wise, to go out of your way to do them after you have the 20000 GP in Chapter 2 and no room at all in Chapter 6.

2. With the Ascension mod, Amelyssan forces Imoen to transform into the Slayer for a short time during the final battle. For a variety of reasons, I really don't like that, but I don't think there are any mods that stop it and I like the rest of Ascension. How do I cut out just that part of the mod?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There's an XP cap, and the expansion's only about Throne of Bhaal length. The UI improvements are either good or can be toggled off, and the content itself looks good, considering the legal and development restrictions they had.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

fong posted:

It adds a new class to the game (Shaman) which I imagine will be available in the base game as well? Or is this a standalone game rather than a true expansion?

Expansion, you have to buy it from the same place you bought your copy of the Enhanced Edition. The Shaman will be added to both EEs with the UI and other updates later this month.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Smol posted:

The only thing I want is someone to fix Ascensions for EE :(

I'm pretty sure there's an EE-compatible Ascension on the Beamdog forums.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

You could use that method to play as Abdel Adrian, the canon protagonist according to the novels and a recent adventure modu :commissar:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The novels are canon*, so yes.

*And said canon can take a long walk off a short pier. My personal theory is that the novels are in-universe books written by Abdel, who is just some opportunistic survivor of Amelyssan's purge who impersonated the hero of Baldur's Gate years after everyone had forgotten his/her name. The actual canon protagonist and outcome is whatever the gently caress you want it to be.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Minsc is pretty fun but he will not travel without Dynaheir. I must arrange her death.

I did the same. I rationalized what he says in BG2 as his brain damage making him forget exactly when and where Dynaheir died.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Big Sean posted:

You monsters.

She'd be okay if she wasn't specialized as an Evoker and if I wasn't an irredeemable sidequest whore who has to keep a rotating slot in the party to do absolutely everyone's quests.

EDIT: ^^^ Get her up to 100 in each and you'll be good for everything- there's no inherent difficulty in traps or locks in Baldur's Gate, I think. I'm afraid she won't be able to used those skills until she's gotten her Mage levels up to her Thief levels- that's what stopped me from dual-classing her when I played.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 14, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I got annoyed when I realized I'd have to keep Kivan to the end of the game so he could kill Tazok.

I have no idea why I ever wanted to get rid of him.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Washout posted:

Oh man, giving jahera all of drizzits equipment turns her into a monster, this is pretty great.

As icing on the cake, the Realms are free of that munchkin Gary Stu! I wish you could do the same with Elminster.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What'd they screw up specifically?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

Like everything other then the main game view. I kinda dig the world map changes but the rest is just awful.

What I could see in the streams looked fine, although the color scheme is lame.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Paladins in 3rd Edition have immunity to disease and not in 2nd. I think they're one of the few fighter-types that got buffed in 3rd Edition.

I don't think you can fall in BGI, or you have to drive your reputation into the toilet. Same with Rangers.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is the Tarrasque even a thing in Faerun?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

If they removed a few of those restrictions (No moving while summoning), it'd be an okay Druid kit.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

at least add the dance button for all classes

Agreed. It'll provide some much-needed immersion when I get my entire party sloshed each time we visit an inn.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Who would look at a crunchy D&D game and decide "what this game needs is even more classes"?

Someone in need of a selling point. The most generous way I can think of this is they came up with the idea of the exiled goblin character and worked backwards.

Dyna Soar posted:

i'd rather they'd just make some of the more lackluster classes more interesting or add a shitload of spells or something actually interesting rather than just add what's basically a mediocre druid sorcerer

"Divine Sorcerer" is one of the few things I can think of that would merit a new class, but the Shaman seems like a lame Druid kit. Make more kits for the Sorcerer, and give the Barbarian -a- kit. Even the monk has two kits!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The black outline is the dumbest thing they did, thank god it's toggleable. Where do you download the beta, by the way?

insanityv2 posted:

My shaman needs 2.5k to get to lvl 2.... thats the wizard progression table.

:psyduck: They had to have worked this into the game after making the goblin lady, they can't expect players to use this.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

Favored Soul yeah. They were cool and would be really easy to put in the game. A Warlock class could be shoved in pretty easy. More esoteric stuff like a Binder (basically you play a character who is possessed and can switch between who is possessing you, would be similar to shapeshifting or Slayer form without changing shape) would be easy too.

This Shaman class looks real bad! What are its special spells like? That might be the last saving grace.

A binder would be hard to justify as the Bhaalspawn, as would a favored soul (You're half evil god and you lose it for most of Shadows of Amn), so I wonder if that was one of the things that made them decide on this- though a shaman from Candlekeep seems as hard to justify as a barbarian. What would a 2nd Edition warlock look like?

And the Shaman doesn't get any special spells, just a dance that produces lovely summons you can't control at an anemic rate and prevents you from doing anything else while dancing. Also the dance has no animation. It's like they made it specifically to disappoint people.

Wizard Styles posted:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/46832/the-betazoids-guide-to-the-beta-testing-galaxy-bg-ee-bgii-ee-2-0-edition

Downloading right now, wanna see how bad it is.

I don't know what it is with Beamdog and kits, their encounter design is good and they obviously know the game, but the kits they released are all over the place.

Thank you. Sticking closer to tabletop might explain why their new kits are kind of meh compared to the overpowered stuff available- was the Cavalier also "A Paladin, but better" in tabletop?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah, I hope someone makes a mod to revert the character sheet. Inventory looks okay, though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Washout posted:

Cavalier was it's own special class in 1st and it was the most OP class in the game. It got attribute progression similar to a dragon disciple.

Sweet.

This is just sad. And that spellbook interface is just so...empty.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

insanityv2 posted:

I could see it helping visibility if you were playing on a mobile device with a small screen.

They say it's to help you see interactible sprites and hard to see NPCs better, but you could just hold the Tab key. Some people said it helps their poor eyesight. I'm just glad it can be turned off.

I am delaying playing BGII for this...:negative:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What the hell, that quest screen looks good. Why is everything else so sloppy?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The vast majority of them are PnP based, yeah, though some came through with pretty hefty changes. Interest in a bit of review segment where I compare and contrast paper and digital?

I'd love to see this.

Woolie Wool posted:

I had heard the Enhanced Editions were going to be quite radical HD remakes until they discovered that all the art source assets have been lost.

I don't know how that would've stopped them, but I also got the feeling they got into this project before realizing what they were actually allowed to do with the Infinity Engine games- it's the only explanation for all the bugs and cut content not being restored.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Now a mage that copies monster abilities like a Final Fantasy blue mage, that would be an interesting class.

Holy poo poo yes. "Eating" a monster or whatever and learning the ability would probably have a low chance to succeed, but you could keep trying (or savescum) and depending on your level you'd get a certain number of monster abilities you could use each day. Couple this with arcane casting and you have a unique, fun class.

EDIT: Wasn't Incarnum some not-the-Force thing from 3rd Edition?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

gently caress me, I almost want to mod that stuff into the game even if it would break it in half. I could even houserule that you get all the magic items you want in exchange for giving up your mount!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Can someone tell me what hit dice are and how they work? The game just assumes I know what they are without bothering to tell me.

Each class rolls a certain die once per level to determine how many hit points it gets*. Casters have a d4, Rogues a d6, Priests a d8, Warriors a d10. It is also used as a shorthand for a opponent's level, since most monsters don't have classes.

*This is bullshit. If you are not playing on a difficulty that maximizes HP per level, get a mod.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

fong posted:

I feel like with max HP on level up you end up with too much HP really quickly. I like the randomness of it.

OTOH its kinda poo poo that you can easily have a level 5 mage with like 15HP, who can still be 2shot by a wolf

It's a matter of taste- a lot of my issues with BGI and II come from treating them like a tabletop campaign, and I would never allow or accept random player HP there.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Trying to design an entire party right off the bat in a game system you're not familiar with isn't a good idea, either. If your saves are totally borked, do what I did- make one character you like, find a strategy guide so you know where to look for NPCs and quests and items (Unless you're deliberately going in blind), and play the game as it was meant to be played.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

insanityv2 posted:

there is only one way to do the chess battle in Durlags.

You bring a bunch of wands of fireball , you creep as far forward as you can without aggroing anything, then you empty your wands into the fog of war. gently caress the chess battle.

Or have your tanks beeline across the damage squares to the king and end the bullshit ASAP. I ended up skipping Aec'Letec- I didn't have the quest for that dagger, didn't want to fight that thing, and it wasn't like my Paladin was going to bring something that plainly evil with him.

The opening cutscene and some other stuff has been posted. It's weirdly skippy, presumably highlights from a GDC presentation http://www.gamespot.com/videos/baldurs-gate-siege-of-dragonspear-opening-cut-scen/2300-6430131/

I'm really hoping that's not Irenicus, because he sounds AWFUL.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wizard Styles posted:

Oh ffs why would they do that? I really hope that's just one or two short cameos at least, but having him show up at all is some fanfic-level poo poo.

He kind of has to show up, at the very least at the end when the party is abducted. This is supposed to foreshadow Baldur's Gate II after all.

fong posted:

What? David Warner has obviously aged but he still sounds awesome.

I kind of feel sorry now if that's actually him.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah the narrator sounds great.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

mitochondritom posted:

Haha whoever was playing the game in the huge battle at the end of that video got wrecked. I can't decide if I like the "cel shaded" look they gave everything. The health bars are awful though.

If they're gathering any data from Steam they're going to see 99% of users turn both those things off.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Jaheira sucks, how long until I can recruit a cleric?

Go to the Copper Coronet for good/neutral or the government district for evil.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Planned party: Cavalier charname, Minsc, Anomen, Aerie, Yoshimo/Imoen, and a rotating slot to do everyone's quests, probably going to be Jaheira or Keldorn most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I thought you got the anti-shapeshifter sword before the werewolf island? I'm certain I had it and used it there.