Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fighter/Druids are kind of enormous assholes once they hit HLAs and can shapeshift into horrible monsters while benefiting from Fighter Thac0. Otherwise, they're pretty underwhelming. I wouldn't suggest making a PC Fighter/Druid, especially when Jaheria is present.

Also, for anyone who's looking for the secret NPC for BGIIEE: He's only accessible through Rasaad's quest. Look for the cages and pay for his release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

gender illusionist posted:

E: what's the deal with dorn's bg2 quest? Do you get to turn him good? How does that affect his class?

You get a +3 2H Sword that deals stupid amounts of damage with varying amounts of bonus damage vs. various things depending on who you betray, with the sword becoming the strongest if you betray everyone at the cost of Dorn becoming a Fallen Blackguard. If you have a Cleric it's really not that much of a loss, really all you're losing is Poison Weapon, Life Drain, and Aura of Despair.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Captain Oblivious posted:

In my experience, the Druid HLA shapeshifts are not as good for a Fighter/Druid as dual wielding some kickass weapons and having good gear in general. Maybe I'm missing something though.

And what's this secret NPC business about?

Of course they're not as good. Nothing beats the incredibly insane gear options.

That said, Baldur's Gate EE had a secret NPC, and BGII:EE continues the trend.

It's Wilson the Grizzly Bear. You get a quest to find him from the stoner mage in the Wild Mage camp, and he's in the area that Rasaad's quest takes you to.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Well that's the thing. Having incredibly insane gear is the default assumption by time you have HLAs so I'm not sure why HLA Shapeshifting would ever be relevant.

Base AC of -5 can be pretty useful in a pinch, not to mention the healing that happens at the end. 2d10 crushing damage isn't shabby either (assuming you're using the Earth form). Shapeshifted characters only lose their armor and weapon bonuses while retaining all of their other gear-based bonuses, so it can be useful. Not the best option, but it's not bad by any stretch.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Wait what's a BG2EE bug? Because if the EE doesn't let me access Watchers Keep in SoA I'm gonna be pretty loving annoyed.

You can. I'm currently mucking around in Watcher's Keep.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. Do I play a Fighter/Cleric or an Inquisitor?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nuclear War posted:

Thats pretty cool, does it also develop the character any? If it does, and it can be started if I didn't have Neera with me in bg1, I'm sold

Somewhat. It gives a little insight on what her life has been like.

Also yes, you can start any romance regardless of if they were in your party.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Corvinus posted:

Called Shot with IWW is great at crippling fools.

But, arrows/bows are nerfed in BG2:EE and most will only get the +THAC0 from enchantment, but not any +damage.

Only a handful of bows give bonus damage and, if I recall correctly, no arrows grant bonus damage. Crossbows, on the other hand, will absolutely grant bonus damage due to enchantment.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Clerics traditionally fight the poo poo out of Undead. Undead have a resistance to slashing and piercing weapons because they do not rely on blood to continue functioning, but die easily enough to getting bashed to pieces.

Other than that, I can't really think of a reason why other than referencing the whole "thou must not draw blood" thing.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Ferrosol posted:

7. General rules of thumb. Missile weapons in BG1 are godly. Most classes are playable and fun the only ones you should avoid completely are Monk(useless till about level 10) Wizard Slayer(losing access to magic gear and potions hurts) Beast Master(Just plain bad.) Shapeshifter(Werewolves are pathetic fighters... when on your team.) Everything else is just a matter of how good you want to be. For a newbie I'd recommend you take an Archer (Ranger Kit) pump Longbow skills, buy a longbow and fill everything with Arrows. It'll be less good in BG2 but by then the rest of your party will be able to take up the rest of the slack.

Beast Masters aren't bad in BG1. Being able to vomit summons to tank things for you and still have a reasonable choice of ranged weapons (bows and slings) means that BMs are more likely to live through the Murderhobo levels than just about anyone. In BG2 they're notably less useful, however, and are basically only worth having to dual into a Clanger.

If you're running Enhanced Edition, the Sun Soul kit trades a lot of the Monk's late game viability to be able to set themselves on fire early, which can be pretty useful.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I have found that you can rest until healed in Multiplayer of BG:EE and BG:EE II if everyone has the option turned on. If someone doesn't, then resting doesn't heal you unless you regenerate.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It is kind of comical the extent to which BG2 does not accommodate an evil PC in the least. Even the rare quest with an alternate evil path like Trademeet pretty much goes "gently caress you you did it wrong have a reduced reward. Do it right next time".

Eh, evil PCs can build the best parties and get a lot of bonus experience from killing people you don't normally kill if you're good. If you don't take advantage of the latter, then... I don't really know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

UberJumper posted:

I have a serious question, how much stuff does the BG1/BG2 EE's add to the game? Are the new characters decent?

I have an installation of BGT that works, but some of the BGEE enhancements seem so nice :(

They fix an absurd amount of bugs and make a really nice UI. They also add at least four new NPCs, each with their own questlines and unique areas and other fun stuff.