Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Stumiester posted:

So, can I have some advice about IWD 2? I'm determined to have a go, but I don't really know the 3ed system - too much BG2 for me! I've made a party with some tips from the internet, but I'm sure I've made some glaring errors - any advice would be much appreciated:

Human Paladin of Helm 1 -> Fighter 4 -> Paladin x, Lawful Good, 18S/10D/16C/8I/16W/8Ch
(Power Attack/Large Sword 2)
[Tank 1]

Paladins won't need more than 14 wisdom for the regular game. They'll receive a +1 wisdom bonus 2/3rds of the way through and there's also a potion that strips 1 dexterity in exchange for another +2 wisdom so you can start at 11. Only 8 charisma sabotages the paladin's saving throw bonus, smite evil and turn undead. Most full-plate front liners will also want 12 dexterity for the ac bonus. I'd go Aasimar for the +4 attributes and 5 cold resist, with stats of 18S/13D/12C/8I/11W/18Ch and just leave him a pure Paladin, unless you are desperate to spend 4 levels for +2 damage.

quote:

Shield Dwarf Fighter 4 -> Barbarian x, Neutral Good, 18/10/20/10/10/8
(Hammer 2, Flail 2)
[Tank 2]

I'd recommend this guy be a 2-hander since they do so much damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

The Baldur's Gate games have really mediocre stories and some terribly designed encounters and dungeons that aren't very much fun to play through, Planescape: Torment has some good characterization and actually has interesting themes, but is a godawful chore to play and is filled with way, way, way too much text, whoever wrote it didn't really understand economy of words.
I honestly think the Icewind Dale games are the only ones that have aged well at all (besides BG2) and are actually fun to play games, which BG1 isn't, BG2 varies too much, and PS:T is literally one of the most boring things I've ever played in my life.

I've never finished either IWD game because I find them monotonous and shallow. Combat is not the strong point of the infinity games so stripping out the story, exploration and characters in favour of even more combat doesn't make much sense to me. They even stripped away the actual fun part of combat from BG2 - mage battles and metamagic.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

MrTheDevious posted:

Anyone else know how to fix FPS issues with IWD2? I'm using the GOG version and it's running at like 5 frames per second. It's obviously not my computer so I'm hoping somebody else has already had the same issue and fixed it

There's one particular map in the goblin warrens that chugs badly until you kill a certain pack of enemies. Not sure if that helps.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

zedprime posted:

As much as I love IWD I never made it through IWD2 and I am thinking of starting up again. All the character creation guides are huge treatises on 3e rules. Is it possible for anyone just to describe what to or not to do for the various member archetypes in general terms so I don't feel like the character guide is playing my game for me?

vvvvvvvvvvv
e. I've got the general idea down, just wondering about major non negotiables like hardiness is a trap and spell casters should take X meta magic and spell pens but not even think about y. I guess that's slightly different for everyone but in the internet guides its all hidden in detailed character builds instead of summary broad strokes.

It's really hard to do this without just writing out a full feat guide.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

caleramaen posted:

On the other hand... if you want a ranger in your party put one there. They are perfectly serviceable. They just aren't the powergamers response.

I played through chapter 1 with a ranger just to test this since it tends to be the accepted wisdom and she ended up with ~40% of the party's kills.

edit: Without stat dumping either, 14 str 20 dex 10 con 10 int 14 wis 8 cha

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 8, 2013

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Leofish posted:

On another level of blah, rangers got the short end of the class stick in IWD2. I forget what rangers even do that's special in that game. Tracking? I think they got an overhaul between 3.0 and 3.5 in PnP as well.

I posted about this just a couple of pages ago but rangers are good in IWD2. Use them as full bab dedicated archers who stick around and protect your casters as secondary melee. Take orc and then goblin favoured enemys for +1(and increasing) attack and +4 damage against 90% of the enemies for the first big chunk of the game. Orc shamans and goblin sorcerers won't get a spell off. They can also scout, get some good druid spells and can switch in 4 fighter for bow specialization if you aren't as fussed about spells.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

oswald ownenstein posted:

In one of those medieval weapons shows they found that the flail was pretty worthless in most situations and not at all a good combat weapon

I've never really thought about it before but is the idea that they were used to wrap around shields?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, are there any easy ways early on to get items identified? I've yet to find the spell anywhere, and paying a hundo each time is tedious.

Pick up Garrick.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

At Level 1 the cost of even a few +1 bullets and arrows is all of your gold, though? Doesn't seem worth it.

It's only a few hundred gold. I don't see why you need to fight vampiric wolves for early xp when the starter quests should easily get you to level 2 though and leveling up super fast is boring anyway.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I'm replaying BG1, is there something I'm missing regarding these spells?

Silence 15' Radius - area effect 100% spell casting failure with saves made at -5. Level 2.
Miscast Magic - single target 80% spell casting failure with saves made at -2. Level 3.

I don't think I've ever seen a spellcaster miss their Silence 15' Radius save either, I'm very skeptical of the -5 save adjustment.

I've also discovered that arrows of fire have a secret -2 thac0 bonus.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah I found that killing 99% of the spell-caster enemies in IWD2 with a bog standard level 1 chromatic orb was super interesting and a vast improvement over BG2.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I was one of the lucky ones to grab Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced so cheap I guess.

Can anyone recommend a good build for a first playthrough of Baldur's Gate 1 and roughly, what my generated stats should be? I'm kind of new to D&D so I'm learning as I go.

Pick whichever class sounds fun to you. Most characters will want 18 dexterity, 16 constitution(18 for warriors) and 18 in whatever your primary class attribute is, ie strength for warriors, wisdom for priests, intelligence for mages. Don't sperg about getting 18s in everything, most of the npcs have gimped stats and they work fine. If you're really lost as to which class to pick just go fighter with 18/-- str, 18 dex, 18 con.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yes but I'm still in the early levels and I don't have that many spell slots available yet so when I encounter something that needs crowd control spells, I'm all out until I rest. I'm just curious if early level AD&D is meant to be this tedious.

There's no need to rest that often, no. Use more longbows. Your mage should be ineffectually tossing rocks at dudes 90% of the time, waiting for the bad guys with names to use his spells on.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

A level 1 Mage with an 18 dex has almost as good a chance of hitting someone as a level 1 fighter (both have a THAC0 of 20). Mages quickly fall behind, but at early levels they aren't bad ranged combatants compared to other classes.

Warriors will get -2 thac0, +4 damage and an extra attack per round thanks to their superior weapon options and proficiency.

edit:VVV You're ignoring the fact that warriors will be using composite longbows.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 20, 2014

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The Ice Temple in IWD2 is staggeringly poo poo.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

BG ironman is fun.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Just bought the necklace of missiles and about to head into Nashkel mine at level 2. Charname dwarven fighter, Garrick(7hp :I), Safana, Branwen. Planning to pick up Xan and then rush to Faldorn for the full gimpy neutral party.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Apart from Xan, my ironman hp rolls have been brutal.

:negative:

edit: Everyone but my dwarf died in a wyvern ambush, RIP.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 10, 2014

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Xan's lack of evocation can mostly be made up for with BG1's super powerful wands. Dynaheir on the other hand loses two massive schools in enchantment and conjuration, saddles you with Minsc and is boring.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

fong posted:

Also Garrick because he's so totally useless.

Bards are good in BG1.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

What's wrong with Cloakwood?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Draile posted:

I don't hate Cloakwood but I understand people who do. Two areas are filled with undetectable web traps and the dungeon at the end no different than the Nashkel Mines.

There's only one map with traps and they're definitely detectable.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Metal Meltdown posted:

Coming back to the original Baldurs Gate after polishing off IWD makes this very apparent. There's some real care put into the dungeon design in Dale while the BG ones are a series of tiny corriders with a few traps and some enemies milling about. They could not have planned on a six man squad when building the indoor areas because it's such a pain in the rear end navigating a full party. I'm drawing near the end of my original Baldurs Gate run and I recall the dungeon design in the sequel to be far better.

Dungeons are the only thing IWD does.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

crime fighting hog posted:

Holy poo poo I've tried every proposed solution to getting Icewind Dale II to work and it just closes itself after I double click it. I'm installing the first game to get my fix now.

Have you tried toggling 'run as administrator' in its properties?

e: Or display scaling on high DPI.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 25, 2014

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Apart from the battle square and monastery trials I generally only needed to rest once a map in IWD2.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I'm on win8 and IWD2 runs fine, although I had to fiddle with the ini or properties or something.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Skwirl posted:

What parts did you fiddle with?

I don't remember but it must have been off the first few pages of google results. What happens when you try to start the game?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

NWN was considered ugly when it came out.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

I am making progress through IWD2, just about to do the bridge fight. I have one Fighter class character in the party but I am not remembering weapon drops all that well....what would be a good not-a-sword weapon type to specialize in for the long term?

Axe proficiency gives you 1-handed, 2-handed and ranged options all in one.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Druids are good in IWD2. Summons, disables, nukes, barkskin, wilderness lore for that stupid forest.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

IWD2 question since I am rusty and a google search gave me mixed results: I am in the warrens underneath the fortress. I just got to Yquog and got his mission to go get his letter from the decanter goblin. I remember that if you do it right you can get bracers that give you an attack bonus? I just cant remember the best course of action/what the different rewards are. Anyone remember and have any tips?

The bracers give +1 deflection if you decide to keep them, not a huge deal.
If you give them back and then betray the goblins they'll break.
Killing the decanter goblins gets you a protection from arrows scroll and some random loot.
If you leave Yquog alive you can meet him later.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 15, 2015

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

If you've correctly got rest until healed turned off; yes.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Any ideas why my Morte has -4 attack on his character sheet? Dakkon is +5 and TNO and Annah are both +1.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

gender illusionist posted:

what's the thinking behind this? It's not like they suddenly turn super good or anything like that

It's something like; lore-wise druids couldn't reach level 14 unless you specifically took over as king druid of the world.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The key to Arcanum is to switch freely between real-time and turn-based depending on what you're fighting.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

So assuming I drop Khaleed I'll be rolling with my F/C, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir, and Imoen. That'll give my F/C, Jaheira, Minsc on the front line, with Dynaheir and Imoen on the back line. I'm still toying with dual classing Imoen to mage cause that seems to be what most folks do (this is my first real run through the game). So perhaps I should look to pick up another Thief to cover for Imoen while she levels up as a mage later on.

Khalid makes for a good tanky archer since he has decent dex and can get 3+ pips in longbow, switching to two-handed swords whenever that might be better.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Re: hammers

Armour also has hidden extra bonuses and penalties to damage types in BG. Splint gets a +2 bonus against blunt but studded leather, chain, plate and full-plate have +2-4 accuracy swings if you use blunt weapons against them over slash. You fight a lot of dudes in armour in BG and all your non-warriors have arse thac0 so it can make quite a big difference.

leather: 2 pierce penalty
studded: 1 pierce bonus, 2 slash bonus
chain: 2 blunt penalty, 2 slash bonus
splint: 1 pierce bonus, 2 blunt bonus
plate: 3 slash bonus
f.plate: 3 pierce bonus, 4 slash bonus

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 28, 2017

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

AD&D resulted in BG, IWD and P:T so it seems pretty good for video games actually.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Is there any easy way to lower rep without being an utter dick in quests, because I want Viconia but I hit 20 rep without seeing her.

Rob the generic houses in Beregost. Flaming Fist confrontations will drop your rep. just for getting caught or you can kill them for further big drops.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Fighting through a ship wreck that's infested with vampire werewolfs is a pretty fun way to spend an afternoon.

edit: actually this greater werewolf is a real bitch. I'm slowly figuring out how to deal with him. It seems I have to hit him with a TON of damage very quickly to over come his regen.

edit 2: this is nuts. I cannot overcome this werewolf's regen. I'd love to come back here after Durlag's but I don't know how to leave the island without killing this bastard.

This is the time to use your potions of giant strength and ideally haste.