Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
IIRC there's only two in the main campaign, but more in ToB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
While I agree with you, lots of people didn't like the mage battles in BG2, which do get pretty ridiculous. Plus the encounters in IWD are well designed and make for some enjoyable combat. Also, please don't provoke more responses from JebanyPedal, tia.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Many of the "Improved" fights are bullshit. I like a lot of the SCS changes, but always leave those off.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Oh right the ascension mod. Yeah I always install that and immediately forget about it. I don't think I've ever played ToB without it so its normal to me I guess. SCS2 does have further changes to those fights though IIRC.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Long story short they're both dicks.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Lesser of two evils kind of thing. There was a G3 mod that actually gave you a choice to have the church take you to Spellhold for truly good characters.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

LibbyM posted:

Is it normal/okay to be going into the Nashkel mines with my party all being level 1 except jaheira? It's been a while since I really played bg1.

Its ok I'd say, but that probably means there's a lot of wilderness you haven't explored yet. There's a lot of good loot out there! I'd think most players have at least level 2 on everyone by the time they get to the mines, but its not too hard anyways.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah I'd say a better solution is to fill up your party with a bunch of fighter types and just let them do their thing while you focus on managing the spellcasters.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Angry Lobster posted:

While doing an ironman run with my wizard slayer I've found something odd, I'm at the start of ToB at level cap 40, and my base magic resistance is 84% but the kit description says it should be 1% per level. Is this how it's supposed to work? I'm playing the bg2 complete version from GoG.

Its kind of weird but ToB changes the formula from regular SoA . The base MR gain is actually 2% per level but with the expansion installed at level 20 it starts alternating between 5% per level and 1% per level instead. So 84% at level 40 is correct.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah its a save file editor. Keep in mind that the editor isn't retroactive. Like if you just swap your Fighter class for the Wizard class and leave it at that then you'll end up with a character whose title is "Wizard" but they have all the same Fighter stats and no spells. You'll have to manually alter those values. I find the easiest thing to do is set the class you want and then set their stats to what they would be at level one. Then give them the appropriate the XP value and manually level up in-game. Helps in making sure you get the right stat/skill growths.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah with a sorc you might as well roll 18 str 18 dex 16 con.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
There's a text size option baked into the widescreen mod iirc.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
They're alright but pretty much worse than just a regular old Fighter/Thief. They're most useful for doing like a Swashbuckler/Cleric dual class.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Vamp wolves are like a rare spawn around Nashkel at night iirc. Best too just avoid them if possible as they are immune to non-magic weapons and they're quite strong for your level. Worst case scenario is you'll have to run around and kite them to death with magic missiles and wands.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Do the steam versions of BG:EE 1/2 make you use the beamdog launcher? Are they compatible with the tweak mods/SCS?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Roll a wild mage

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ProfessorCirno posted:

At the time, mods largely consisted of the three things Baldur's Gate fans loved most: over the top dumb "tactical" combat improvements

Properly configured sword coast stratagems > vanilla, no one will convince me otherwise

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
SCS has a lot of granular difficulty settings, especially for mages. For instance you can turn pre buffing off, or toggle whether or not you still want mages to cast things that you're immune to, etc. What I liked about it is that you can buff the junk encounters to be a challenge and leave the already challenging encounters alone. It also included plenty of stuff to make your party stronger too so a healthy combination of buffs for you and the enemies made for the best experience imo

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 21, 2019

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I was just making one...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891331

I was sick of following discussion across several threads

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Kensai/Mage dual is cheesy as gently caress but if you're starting with BG1 it will just be a simple kensai for the whole game

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Doesn't the sound desync at higher framerates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yes, they probably just told her "hey your character has been like mega tortured" so she adjusted accordingly