Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

jng2058 posted:

I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I tried the same trick in Pillars of Eternity, only to discover that PoE limits you to one active trap at a time. :doh:

Especially since I'd picked up dozens of the drat thing by disarming them everywhere I went. :sigh:

I had the exact same experience just a couple hours ago myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The big RPGs I remember from the 90s are
Ultima 6 and both 7's
Both Ultima Underworlds
A few of the Might and Magics
Both Eye of the Beholders
Fallout 1 and 2
Jagged Alliance could count I guess
Was Arcanum after BG?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Steam is having a sale on all things Infinity Engine right now. BG2 EE is under $7.
I bought PS:T a while back and am still messing around with Wasteland 2 so I am not sure if I should grab anything or not. The complete Baldur's Gate + PS:T + IWD set (EE) is $32 or so. It's tempting.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

bongwizzard posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure I get the idea of "writing" but I have never encountered video game writing that was good or compelling enough to make up for lackluster gameplay. Like how am I supposed to "engage" in the writing of of game other than reading a little text box at the bottom of the screen?

Sometimes a good story will keep me going on with a game I would have otherwise dropped. A good recent example is Soma. Game play was okay, but I wouldn't have kept playing it except to experience the rest of the story.

(A good counter example is The Long Dark, a sandbox survival game. It has a story mode which isn't very good compared to just open sandbox play. I suppose a sandbox environment just doesn't get along with a directed story very well sometimes)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Thanks thread, you have convinced me to play IWD & IWD2. Guess I'll look for the next Steam sale.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm replaying it right now, low effort approach though.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Skwirl posted:

Icewind Dale EE is 4 bucks on GOG for the next 6 hours, this was not the first time it popped up in the rotation for this flash sale, so if you miss it consider taking a peek every 6 hours or so.

Thanks! I missed it on Steam for the Winter sale, grabbed it this time.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I just started my first IWD game. Party consists of a Skjald, totemic druid, sorcerer, berserker, archer, and half-gnome thief/illusionist. I haven't left the first town yet.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dyna Soar posted:

get to ________ (????) to have an easy time

I feel like this post is withholding crucial information.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Well...that's not entirely by accident. I saw some talk itt about proper party selection being key to IWD.
Also I really really suck at Infinity Engine combat. Bad enough to be stuck in a PS:T fight with a high-level party :(

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So I know low level AD&D characters are usually (?) pretty weak. But my Elf Archer and Half-Orc Berserker just smash poo poo and wreck pretty hard. We're still at level 1.
I like where this is going so far.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm liking it a lot so far, though I'm only half-way through Kresselack's Tomb.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
They didn't give me too much trouble, but I kept sending my illusionist /thief to kite enemies into a funnel by the level door.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm working my way through Dragon's Eye and came across the first hard fight with my party. The Talonite priestesses and trolls guarding the Priestess from Kuldahar were pretty rough going. The only saving grace was them not following to level 1.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dyna Soar posted:

have you ever played jagged alliance 2? it's probably the best turn based, isometric RPG ever made. well, kinda light on the RP but it has a combat system unmatched by any game ever. so deep, tactical and rewarding. also it's completely open ended, so you can do everything in which ever order you choose.

also the plot is basically the greatest b-movie never made, you're charge of a ragtag group of mercenaries trying to free a caribbean country from an insane dictator. scales really well, too. you start off with a single squad of 3 or 4 soldiers and end up with multiple hundred militia and two or three squads of elite mercenaries as your strike force.

it's from around the same time as baldur's gate 2 and fallout 2 were released. it was an amazing time for cRPG's.

JA2 remains one of my all time favorite games. The voice acting, the budget mercenaries, duct tape gun mods, purple people eaters ... :allears:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Rappaport posted:

I don't necessarily criticize the EEs as a concept, but I stopped my BGs from updating with version 1.3.2053/2064 and believe I've hit a decent enough spot :colbert:

Poe's law. I legitimately can't tell.

I'm over 57 hours into my first ever IWD run. I'm in the lower Dorn Keep now so pretty close to endgame I think. I can see why my party (thief/illusionist, barbarian, totemic druid, dragon disciple, archer, skjald) might be considered over-powered. Four of them can cast AOE spells, two can do priest stuff. The ranged weapons are nasty. I usually only have to send in the barbarian to mop up or with bigger enemies.
The most difficult fight was still the priestesses in Dragon's Eye. Everything after that was pretty simple.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Skwirl posted:

If it includes both expansions right off the bat I'll probably buy NWN:EE the first time it's on sale, then not get around to playing it until it's been on sale for much cheaper several times.

Same.

I did just finish Icewind Dale for the first time. I really liked its linearity and gameplay. No complaints, nice game.
I am now doing the HOW expansion with the same party.

Question on backstabbing: What do I need? I have a thief/illusionist with points in each of the thief skills. He's dual-wielding nice daggers. I should be able to walk up behind someone in a fight, attack, and have this result in a backstab?
I am not sure how this mechanic is supposed to work.

I hope this expansion takes a few hours (I'm 65 hours in right now) because I don't want to buy anything else between now and POE2.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Suspicious posted:

You need to be undetected to backstab.

Right, but how? Do I need to actually click "Hide in the shadows" each time?
My character seems half-transparently rendered - does that mean he's already hiding/undetected? Is there an indicator for this?

I've played IE engine games off and on for 20 years, but I've never bothered with the thief mechanics.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The 2.5 Beta suddenly stopped working on my Mint 18.3 system (IWD). There weren't any driver updates. This is very annoying and I've read about others having this problem. The regular version works fine, but I do prefer the beta for the UI improvements.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Probottt posted:

Are undead hunters the preferred Paladin kit for IWD:EE? I just came off of BG2 and am tempted to take an Inquisitor but I'm not sure how much I'll be fighting mages throughout the game to make it worth it.

You'll be fighting literal hordes of undead

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Shart heel?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
GooglePlay has the iOS and Android versions of IWD:EE on sale for $3 right now.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I liked Arcanum :(

But I've only played it once.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So does that mean Pillars 2 is not playable without patches right now? Not that I have time to play, but I had been eyeballing it since late last year. I realize it just came out a few days ago, right?

IWD: I just got done playing IWD:EE myself. Dorn's Keep was my personal favorite, but the Hand was also nice. I tried playing through both expansions but only made it almost through the first one before getting bored with it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
BG2:EE for Android is on sale for $2 on Google play today. If I had something bigger than my Moto G5, I'd pick it up myself.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

There's a big D&D sale on Steam, with all the Infinity Engine EE titles going for around $4-5 a pop.

Thanks! I finally picked up BG for the first time. I also bought BG2 which must be the third or fourth time I've purchased it. I can't find the physical copies anymore. Besides, that's non-EE and won't run on Linux.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm playing BG for the first time but have played BG2, PS:T, and IWD. I've actually finished the main campaign a few days ago and moved into Siege of Dragonspear.
My party now has Minsc & Dynaheir in it. I was a bit too slow rescuing Dynaheir in the main campaign and Minsc attacked me so I rolled without either of them.
Now I have them both onboard for SOD and my problem is this: Is there a way to stop Minsc from attacking whatever the gently caress he wants? Any time there's combat, Minsc is guaranteed to attack party members even without going into berserk state. I don't recall his behavior being that problematic in BG2.
(Rest of the party is Dynaheir, Glint, Corwyn)

Suggestions welcome.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Is there any chance an AI script is making him use his berserk ability automatically? I never got too deep into using those.

Yes, that's exactly what happened. I usually play one of the EE beta versions that has it turned off by default. Thanks.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There also were a lot of really good non-(A)D&D RPGs - the Ultimas plus Underworlds, Das Schwarze Auge, Might & Magic, Betrayal at Krondor, Deus Ex, Wizardry.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I am playing SOD for the first time ever right now and am almost through it. I think it's excellent. It keeps me engaged just as much, if not more than the original campaign. It's high quality story-telling and voice acting with well-thought out quests and new locations.
I picked it up for a couple of bucks on sale but knowing what I know now, I'd have paid more for it. I have spent ~17 hours on it so far.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Comstar posted:

I can't play BG now without doing it as an Iron Man run. I have never been able to last long enough to get to SoD.

What's the most interesting/fun with interactions NPC party to have in SoD? Time to fail yet again.

Absolutely have Glint in your party. Holy poo poo that guy is a hoot.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

chaosapiant posted:

Siege of Dragonspear was really really good. It’s also my favorite BG interface. I love the black UI with inlaid dragons and such. I’m replaying the series now with the trilogy mod so I can use that UI for the whole series.

Having never modded BG games and playing them on Ubuntu, can someone give me a quick & dirty rundown (or link) on what's required to do this? I've got BGEE, BG2EE, and SOD on Steam if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Having never modded BG games and playing them on Ubuntu, can someone give me a quick & dirty rundown (or link) on what's required to do this? I've got BGEE, BG2EE, and SOD on Steam if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

After some research, it looks like I'd have to mod a Windows game and then copy relevant files to the Linux installation.
I guess I'll deal with the BG2:EE interface. But I will say that the SOD UI was excellent.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Good review. I felt much the same way but I didn't try out all the NPCs. I kept Corwyn the entire game and sort of wish I hadn't. She was just a little bit too goody-two-shoes, even though I played a "good" party. We sort of had this romance thing almost going but in the end it didn't work out.
However, she surprised me at the end when I decided to surrender to Duncan and she facilitated my escape instead of helping him kill me.

I really enjoyed SOD. I only finished it two days ago myself and it took me over 20 hours to get through. As mentioned before, the UI improvements are really nice.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
BG2EE: So I did not kill the shadow dragon guarding the Shade Lord. Can I still go back and get him later?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Skwirl posted:

There is very little that you need a thief for that Nalia can't accomplish with a potion and she's only like a 4th level thief or something. Backstab is handy, but you need some serious micromanagement to be able to use it more than once in a fight, so for the majority of fights (and this is a combat based game) they're just completely useless fighters.

Nalia's thieving skills (or lack thereof) are pretty annoying. She's unable to open some locks or disarm some traps without help pretty early in BG2. Once I hit TOB with her, pretty much everything needs an assist or Knock.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I know, hence it's just (slightly) annoying rather than aggravating.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Irenicus is a pretty good shadow villain in SOD, though I do not think he's ever called that name in the expansion.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

whats the reputation hit for becoming the lord of murder? i dont want to lose my paladin abilities

Somehow my Inquisitor turned into a Fallen Paladin at the end of SoA. I'm not sure what did it. Thankfully I still have Keldorn and his abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Zephro posted:

There's a mage HLA that summons Frisbees of Doom which you can throw out at like 10 attacks per round, which is great for interrupting enemy casters. Can't remember if it works on her though.

You mean the Energy Blades HLA? The caster gets these blue discs as weapons they can chuck.