Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Also I switched Viconia into Fighter/Cleric because I've never used her since single class cleric is awful, and Anomen is annoying as gently caress.

I also frequently end up doing this and then switching her stat scores around ( just which number goes where ) so it makes more sense as a fighter/cleric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Out of interest what number did you put where?

Str 18
Dex 19
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 14
Cha 10

Biggest problem with that layout is that she only gets a safety of one hit on mindflayers without protection spells, its tempting to put the 18 into con but she is an elf and they get a con penalty, I suppose you could simulate that by making it str 16 con 17. I only do it this way because it makes me feel like i'm not quite cheating her stats to be optimal.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Is there a reason you didn't put 16 or 18 (from Dex) into Wis? I thought Clerics needed that as high as possible

Wis gets you bonus spells however for a fighter/cleric I don't really care to maximize my bonus spells that much, 14 gets me 2 additional first level spells which is great because thats 2 more Armors of Faith, additional 2nd level spells would be nice I guess for Draw on Holy Might but I'm not that bothered.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

peak debt posted:

Is there a writeup anywhere of how the 18/xx scores work in the weird-rear end D&D rules that Baldurs Gate uses?

http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur%27s_Gate:_Races_and_Stats

Is basically what you want, I think.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Archers only suffer from on problem in bg2, a lack of a truely epic bow. They don't need one of those however to be a good class. Archers are fine, they'll do good damage and can start doing that damage half a screen away. I'd just not rate them as high as a dual wielder or a paladin with Carsomyr. Once you start getting HLA's you'll start feeling pretty good about that character.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

http://artastrophe.deviantart.com/art/PaintBG-v2-409324931

I use this pack and love it. Bonus points because it comes with a bunch of mod portraits and generic portraits for charname in the same style!

Just using this portrait pack makes Ajantis, Coran, Faldorn and Shar-Teel useable without making me want to get their stupid portraits out of my face.

I like the general style of PaintBG but i really dislike how everyone look like they are constantly scowling.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

According to the devs, soon. So... probably around the time Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition comes out, which will be nice because I expect that to be horribly buggy on launch too.

You joke about this but BG:EE 1.2 came out around the time BG2:EE came out. So ultimately not all that unlikely.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

amanasleep posted:

Dispel Magic checks the caster level vs. target level for success. So if your caster happens to be lower level than Shandalar you might have some trouble.

You might also be used to Keldorns dispel magic. As an Inquisitor his dispel magic is twice as good as his level.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

How many layers of magic does dispel take off when it works? Are there some magics/abilities that block dispel magic? I'm using Keldorn and while it works 99% of the time there are some bosses (liches/Irenicus) that seem to be immune to it.

As long as its not blocked by immunities dispel magic rolls to take off everything, positive, negative, spell protection, combat protection, other random things. If its an ongoing magical effect not provided constantly by an item Dispel Magic can get rid of it. Even the effects of terrain magic like clouds or webs.

It doesn't get rid of clouds, pools or webs though, so often those will quickly be reapplied.

Aside from its major downfall of level based chances the only thing that stops Dispel Magic is outright immunity to either all magic or to the specific school ( Abjuration ). Mostly that can be accomplished through Scrolls of Protection From Magic and Spell Immunity(Abjuration).

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Rasaad gets obscenely powerful in BG2 for what its worth.

Rasaad is actually not nearly as bad as he used to be in BG1 due to his new kit. It really escalates in BG2 and into ToB though as the improved damage of the kit stacks up with the general monk powers.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Rasaad's quest can be found in Baldurs Gate itself. So no need to worry about that for a while if you are still just at Nashkel.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Rookersh posted:

It's a bit forced, but it's better then Dorn ( I'm just evil. ), Hexxat ( More Vampires? ), and Rasaad ( We made up a new cult of crazy martial arts dudes. They don't really fit the setting but whatever, Monks man. ).

They actually did not make up the sun soul monks. They were not very well known being talked about in like one official book. But they existed before BG:EE. They were introduced in City of Splendors: Waterdeep in 2005.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

Isn't there one in a random warehouse once you reach Baldur's Gate also?

Yes but this one you get warned about in a quest so you can prepare for it or just avoid the bastard.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It gets you a bunch of bonus spells, immensely useful if you're starting at level 1, less so at higher levels (what exactly are you supposed to do with 9 first level cleric spells?) but still handy.

Cast shield of faith whenever you feel like it.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

This is also the optimal chess strategy.

Its the optimal strategy for quite a few encounter in this game. Basically anything that starts with a party opposition, especially if it has casters in it. ( Fireballs are aoe and go right through basically any low level spell protections )

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

fireballs aren't really the optimal spell for this. it's been mentioned in this thread but a skull trap is pretty much the most effective fireball-type aoe spell in the game. it's magic damage so very few enemies are immune to it and it scales better than similar spells.

Technically true but I can't make 6 party members skull trap. Between wands, necklaces and potions of explosions I can make all of them throw fireballs.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Nycticeius posted:

Remove his innate abiltiies, put his current hitpoints at 1, his max hitpoints at 0, his THAC0 at 20, and put his levels at 0/0/0. Change his class to Ranger and give him the Archer kit. That should be enough - I'm not sure if I'm missing any detail.

Strip him first, then remove all effect flags. Look up the ranger starting saves and set his saves to that. That should cover it.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Haven't played EE in forever, what's the red diamond do?

Displays all the loot in an area, lets you get it and the character automatically walks over to pick it up.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Washout posted:

I have heard only bad things about the big world project.

Imagine if all of the Skyirm Nexus mod were in the nexus mod manager by default and a lot of hard work was put into making sure it all more or less works together so that you can pick and choose mods at will. And then people decided that this means they should install ALL OF THE MODS.

Thats why you hear bad things about Big World Project.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Entropy238 posted:

True, if you get the jump on them and they aren't pre-buffed with stoneskins. Anyone with decent Thac0, APR and weapons is going to chunk a mage in a few hits anyway though.

I've played with scs for so long now I can't remember if mages in the original game get pre-buffs or not.

They don't on the whole. Certainly not the massive trigger at the start of combat or loading the map.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

So I'm playing through a highly moddded BGT installation. In Dark Side of the Sword Coast you assemble a Mace of Disruption +2. Which I'm using on Viconia to bash undeads faces in, as you do. So I'm going through Durlags Tower and I get to the final fight. Before going through the door I buff up to the gills.

Now I know that the fight is going to have some relativly unthreatening undead around the edge of the arena moments into the fight. You don 't want to ignore them since they can be ghouls and ghouls can Hold your party members and even without that you want to keep your squishies safe. So I planned to distract the boss with Viconia since she has the highest AC. Kill the undead, then focus on the Knight.

Then this happens:

Apparantly he's UNDEAD, never realized before. But there you go.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Suspicious posted:

He's normally a demonknight. Dunno why DSotSC changed him into a death knight.

So I got curious. Decided to look at mods resonpible for editing that room. Didn't find anything interesting. Looked at the deathknight file itself. Interesting factoid. The original filename is actually Deathk.cre. No joke, thats the original bg1 filename. Anyway, whole bunch of mods touch that file.

I'll spare you the details but best I can tell the aTweaks PnP Undead option is responsible for turning it into a deathknight and giving it undead weaknesses. Because why not, obviously Demon knights are named deathk.cre so that must mean they are supposed to be Deathknights... right ?

So in short:

Arivia posted:

Because the kinds of people who make IE mods are actually surprisingly bad at the 2e rules and setting.

Tzarnal fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 28, 2015

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

So both Spellhold Studios and Gibberlings Three have been down for a few days. Anyone knows up with that ?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Thank you. :) Unfortunately, for various reasons it's highly unlikely I'll ever complete her planned BG2 version. Gave going back a try earlier this year and nothing came of it.

Still, I'm happy with her BG1 incarnation.

In a proper BGT installation she'll be there in the dungeon after the game transition so I kept her around to play through IWD. Currently I've replaced her with Tashia because well, content. That playthrough is intended to lockstep this one though so it'll be a while untill I find out what Tashia is about.

Valerie and Isra are probably my most liked BG1 npc mods. Isra had content going in to SoA and ToB so I'm hoping that doesn't ruin my impression of the mod.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Taliesyn posted:

It's also tradition, I believe, that the person who puts up the Ironman thread abandons it after a week or two.

Pretty much this. I think its been three years in a row now that has happened.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Arivia posted:

Viconia's not a cleric of Lolth, she's a cleric of Shar.

I'm actually having a hard time finding information about if drow and elves can cross-breed, so I don't know. Half-drow is a technical term referring to half-drow elves anyway, and those are majority Loviatar or Vhaeraun.

Viconia used to be priestess of Llolth but because of Drow religious/political bullshit her mother tried to have her sacrified to Llolth to strengthen their house. This doesn't work out and Viconia escapes to the surface with some help. She renounces Llolth and then promptly takes up worship of Shar. As opposed to say Eilistraee, because she's still basically just an unrepentand drow, simply pissed off it didn't work out for her.

Tzarnal fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 25, 2016

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

vecna is one of those mods that only sounds cool on paper, but the way it's integrated via rings and level 9 spells and star signs to have you teleporting across realities is pretty cool, plus it makes use of IE animations mod and pretty much requires you to install those overpowered athkatla store mods that litter the internet just to survive and you end up facing some crazy loving poo poo lolth is one of the bosses i believe. but the reasoning and plot behind it all is fairly loving hilariously bad. they guy vanished before finishing it off fully and had plans for you to trek across the whole multiverse loving poo poo up but as usual for modders he just up and vanished, not sure if anyone is carrying on with it either.

i can't wait to see vorgen tackle it in his LP in the year 2372.

A year ago someone wrote a patch for the text to bring some spelling/grammer and terrible writing under control. Thats it.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

New UI mod for SoD. No one's ported this loving thing over to bg2 yet but i hope they do before i finish SoD because my BG blood is pumping and i'm going straight into that.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50357/mod-sod-widescreen-gui-tweaks

the spell menus are a bit poo poo though, too much wasted space for my liking.

Once I can get an EET install with this UI mod I'm going to play the poo poo out of this.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

SoD included a much more accesible way to change the UI. Today I was checking out if there had been any new things released using it. Besides the amazing Widescreen UI we've already seen I just found a mod that added an autoroller for stats. Personally autorolling feels like the worst solution to the problem that is rolling for stats.

So I spend an hour figuring out how to set up a sort of point buy system. It gives you a preset roll of 75, 80, 85 or 90 that you can spend at will. for Baldurs Gate: EE 1, 2 and SoD: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50357/mod-sod-widescreen-gui-tweaks-v1-2#latest

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

god the scripting/dialogue engine is a mess. The worst part is that the same information could all be expressed much more elegantly and with much less special symbol bullshit. But now we are stuck with it.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Since this thread is a bit different from SHS, I completed the Throne .cre file for the Valerie mod - for if you summon her via fate spirit.

Any particular objections to this as her default spell selection in Throne (she's a sorcerer)?

Level 1 spells: Magic Missile, Identify, Sleep, Protection From Evil, Shield

Level 2 spells: Acid Arrow, Mirror Image, Glitterdust, Resist Fear, Detect Invisibility

Level 3 spells: Lightning Bolt, Dispel Magic, Spell Thrust, Haste

Level 4 spells: Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Greater Invisibility, Greater Malison, Minor Sequencer

Level 5 spells: Breach, Cloudkill, Oracle, Lower Resistance

Level 6 spells: Improved Haste, True Sight, Pierce Magic

Level 7 spells: Spell Sequencer, Ruby Ray of Reversal

Level 8 spell: Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting

It's conveniently in-character for her to come loaded for bear against hostile mages left to her own devices.

I think a summon of some sort would be a good idea. Personally I vote for Mordenkainen's sword.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Speaking of mods, I tossed up a new thread for Valerie on SHS. I usually forget that player-initiated dialogue is a thing and dislike writing it so Valerie's PID is pretty bare bones, but if there's something anyone would like to see in that regard I put up a suggestion thread.

Beyond that, I'm very near finishing her. :)

Don't care much for specific PID myself that much, as long as its not weird you have nothing to talk about at all. Don't suppose I could trick you into writing crossmod banter for Isra ?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

ineptmule posted:

Seeing as you can re-roll endlessly I really don't see why the game doesn't just allow you to put in whatever you want.

Edit: Although I suppose that 100 times per second not statistic puts it in perspective.

Enable cheats and press ctrl-8 during character creation.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Now that its come up i'll just shamelessly plug this again:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/54326/mod-point-buy-mod-for-bg-ee-1-2-and-sod-v1?new=1

Its a mod I made that lets you cycle between preset point totals of 75, 80, 85 and 90.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Entropy238 posted:

Again this is a matter of taste.

Off the top of my head I can say: Tidefall, Sanguine Plate, Shod in Faith, Stormcaller, Bittercut, St. Ydwin's Reedmer, Gloves of Swift Action, Hours of St. Rumbalt, Little Saviour, Munaca Arret, Spirit Spiral, The Blade of the Endless Paths, Binding Rope, Shame or Glory, Maegfolc Skull, Garodh's Chorus, Outworn Buckler etc ....

Most of the above are game-changing items for builds. I could go on.

Tall Grass, Cladhalíath, Grey Sleeper. Okay I admit i had to look up Cladhalíath's correct name because that thing is a bitch to spell.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

bike tory posted:

IIRC the EE AI are good and worth using. The basic ones auto attack in a sensible way and thats about it. They got rid of the annoying poo poo like ranged party members charging into melee if they run out of ammo, breaking stealth/sanctuary/invis etc to attack, cancelling actions if a target dies/leaves visibility, etc. Also have some good options like thieves auto-stealthing or checking for traps outside of battle.

It's possible I'm thinking of some community scripts and not the EE ones, I just remember the last few play throughs I did actually had good party AI scripts that were worth using, when I'd always immediately turned party AI off in the past.

The current EE's actually have a fairly customizable AI.

further options include auto detecting traps, hiding, turning undead and singing.

This lets you setup individual characters to act more or less how you want too. Sure you don't get the conditional complexity of Dragon Age but its good enough to be superior to most general use mod AI scripts at this point.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Is that the one that's literally just Le Femme Nikita? In Baldur's Gate?

Nah dark side of the sword coast is a bunch of terrible loosely related side quests and self insert joinable npcs with OP gear.

You're thinking of Dark Horizons. Which is much the same balance and interest wise but instead adds a terrible adaption of Le Femme Nikita. No I don't know why either.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

You guys are just confusing me more!

Just play with 6 fighters. Bow fighter, staff fighter, two-handed sword fighter, mace and shield fighter, dual wielding swords fighter and spear fighter.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I’m curious if anyone else plays these games like I do: every time I play I clear the black in every area and do every quest I can find, no matter how many times I’ve played the IE games. Anyone else do that?

Oh yeah. Very much so. This is part of the reason BG1 is such a slog to me. First there is endless wilderniss and then i have to check each house in a 8 zone city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Skwirl posted:

That was third edition (where they decided to change clerics from the class some one plays because everyone else called dibs on everything else to the best class in the game), but I don't know if it was included in any video game version of it.

Neverwinter Nights 2 had spontaneous conversion for clerics and druids.