Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

How does BGT handle the BG1->2 transition?

I've only ever played them separately (and years apart) so I have no idea what happens. Do you just get a superpowered god in BG2? Does it de-level you? What happens to your items (I assume they're stripped from you :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What class combo would you recommend for someone playing through BG1/2 for the first time? I haven't played either in many years and can't remember anything about them. I know fighters and clerics are recommended for first time players and mages or sorcerers on "second runs" but Im not the "second run" type, especially on a 100 hour experience.

What class combo will give me the most well rounded experience if I never played through it again?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Thanks for the tips!

I'm fresh off PoE and am pretty familiar with ToEE/Arcanum so idiosyncrasies of isometric rpgs aren't an issue, I mostly wanted to avoid situations like monk where the numbers just don't add up as Arivia said.

Inquisitor paladin or Wild mage it is.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to buying on Steam vs Gog vs Beamdog?

I read that you can't do multiplayer with steam and gog separately which I guess wouldn't be an issue because of Gog's lack of DRM, my friend could always magically obtain my gog copy I guess.

I own the originals on Gog and at this point I'm wondering if its worth the extra $6 to get the EE's, versus waiting for a super steamsale.

I've never played more than 2-3 hours of any BG

fakeedit: I realized how dumb this was after typing it I'm just gonna get the gog ee's thanks thread.

real edit: some people seem really steamed about EE updates "ruining a masterpiece", should I ignore them like I planned on doing

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I have the EE editions on gog and being able to zoom out , a better interface, and just in general looking better is awesome, plus Draginspear expansion.

The games total will run you 40 bucks for all of it on GOG.

I think that's a bargain.

According to GOG I've got 110 hours logged on just Baldurs Gate and expansions. I still have BG2 and ToB.

Can I wait on buying draginspear or does it add stuff to original BGEE

I don't really care about new NPC's not feeling "in place", I've modded elder scrolls games for over a decade, I've probably seen worse.

For my first playthrough can I crank down the difficulty to like easy/medium and only roll with the PC + 2-3 npcs or do I have to run with a full party? (Yeah I know you can solo but I'm saying for the person who doesn't play IE games) Am I going to miss all the sick nasty NPC quests and backstories or can I pick them up at the inn and do their stuff whenever I feel like it?

I played through Pillars with a full party and was really not into micromanaging a roving horde.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I made an archer and got my strength to be 18/00. I almost rolled off of that but I had the good foresight to google that before I did.

Boy, 18/00 str 18 dex level 1 I'm eating everyone's lunch. The only thing I couldn't murder was a black bear, I think that's just a bit too tough without magic.

BGEE is really fun, I thinking being able to zoom in is probably the best part.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

You really don't need 18/00 if you're an archer. Any 18 is fine.

I didn't aim for it, that's just what it ended up on when I was rolling to get above 85 points total.

That whole system of percentage to 19 points and why they had to do that is really wacky but I can understand it.

Does BG have the whole "party members will leave and take everything they have with them" system

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What'll happen if I install some BG1 fixes or the level1npc mod in an already existing game

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BGEE is doing its best to make me not enjoy it

My archer became "fallen" which I didn't even know existed. I think my reputation dropped to like 7 or something, or maybe it was helping Victoria or whoever the Drow that dropped me. So I think wow I should find how to increase reputation, and its donating to the temple. But it doesn't tell you the threshold, so you have to savescum the correct amount of gold :wtc:

Turns out that doesn't remove fallen. So I downloaded EE Keeper and removed it.

Look, I know BG being super obtuse is part of the ruleset but come the gently caress on. I want to play a real game of DnD and have the DM change all my stats around without telling me

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

That's cool, it would just be nice if the game told me any of that besides "rangers should be good" at char creation. There's no confirmation that you're fallen, you just kinda notice it a few hours in. The fact that you can't even cure it in BG1 is super duper indefensible poo poo. I guess I'll be more careful, but holy moly I'm getting biowared super hard.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

The game tells you immediately in the combat log when you fall, and makes a distinctive sound. You do read the combat log, right?

E: In the Steam version falling will also give you an achievement, which will pop up on screen.

You really have to pay attention in old-school RPGs, it's just how they are. And as I said, by D&D standards, Baldur's Gate is extremely lenient.

-I'm on Gog
-Reading the combat log for 99% of the game is "x hits for 4 damage" I guess I have to comb through that to find out if my character is hosed, haha
-I've played almost every other old school RPG except BG1/2, old rpgs find new and exciting ways to turn fun gameplay obtuse and not fun
-I'm still having fun, BG kinda owns

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

I read the combat log constantly in combat, especially to watch out for DoTs and status effects. It's very handy. Also all the dialogue gets copied there so if you miss something you can scroll up to read it again.

But you'll know instantly if you take a reputation hit because of the loud DING sound. As well as rangers and paladins falling if it falls below 7, having bad reputation is extremely undesirable and even with an evil party you want to keep it as high as possible without making your evil dudes desert you--you will pay higher prices with bad reputation, have greater difficulty negotiating with authority, and if you're disliked enough, face ambushes from high-level guards and bounty hunters. I just reload when I hear the ding sound.

This is some good advice, thanks. I was wondering what that noise was, but that explains it!

LowellDND posted:

Just play evil, Rep 1-4 forever :getin:

This is some even better advice. I'm barely into chapter 2 and already I'm regretting having to leave my best friend Kagain. I dream of being an evil black metal bard (skald?).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

is there a Shar romance mod

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

It took me like 10 reloads but I finally killed Zordral, that mage in the circus tent. My secret was killing him before he even had the chance to talk to me. None of my offensive spells would go off before he could cast mirror image, followed by horrify/fear. And then someone would die.

6 slings/arrows straight for the mage head before battle? Dead in one round, no damage taken. How the hell are you supposed to kill this guy "legit"?

I also found this good armor in a field, I basically hold down tab constantly and loot every container I can see (thanks Gothic and Morrowind for teaching me that habit). Anhkeg Armor? It's like 1AC which is crazy and even mages can wear it which is even crazier. I feel like my OCD scraping the edges of the map for loot is now justified. Is stuff like this throughout the game, or just this once?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Have Minsc berserker rage if he's in your party. He's immune to horror while it's up.

And yeah whenever I start a new game I go straight for that armor if my character can equip it. The cool thing about that armor is that because it's so lightweight Druids can equip it for example.

Once you have that armor you can solo Ankhegs North of Friendly Arm Inn for easy levels.

Wouldn't soloing mobs make the rest of my party not gain levels? I mean I guess it wouldn't matter because I'd have a level 5 main character but....actually nevermind that sounds great. I just have to make sure none of my party is going to care that I'm running around a field for a few weeks.

Mzbundifund posted:

Horror is a huge party killer at these levels. The key to beating it is realizing that the level 1 cleric spell "Remove Fear" actually lasts for an hour, and it doesn't only remove fear, it completely immunizes you to it. Cast it before wizard battles and then when they cast horror it's basically a free round for you because it can't affect you at all.

:stare: give me back 20 minutes of my life please

Wizard Styles posted:

Having Minsc berserk in a tiny tent with an NPC you're trying to save in it may not always work out so well, though.

I read afterwards that killing the NPC gives you bonus robes and every reward so that wouldn't have been too bad!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

do I lose anything by running dynaheir straight into gnolls? I really like minsc but dynaheir kinda sucks

my party is:

khalid
jaheira
viconia
imoen
archer protagonist
minsc
I want to kill dynaheir

also I should probably get a mage in there somewhere right?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rahzmataz posted:

If you're playing the EE, there's a Wild Mage called Neera that you can pick up in Beregost.

who should I replace? I met her and she's way off in the inn I think because I dismissed her

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

You can just leave her in a nice house somewhere you know. :colbert:
Also, Dynaheir has issues early on because nothing can replace Sleep as a first level spell, but as soon as she reaches level 3 and can cast two Glitterdust/Horror/Stinking Cloud/Web that doesn't hurt so much anymore. And soon enough Sleep is useless anyway.
I think you can safely kick anyone except Imoen, but Khalid or Jaheira moreso than Viconia.

Except Minsc demands that he be with dynaheir, and I'd rather have Neera if I need a mage

Archer Protag
Minsc 2H / slings
Jaheira Melee druid
Viconia cleric
Imoen thief?
Neera Mage

is that a balanced party? Maybe minsc 1h + shield might make more sense. It's between having a mage in Neera or a good front liner in Ajantis. Can I turn Imoen into a mage?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Shaman or skald for an evil bgee+2 play through?

How is shaman, it's so new I haven't found any good "reviews" of how the class is.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

spiders and poison can gently caress right off

my PC is an archer with favored enemy "giant spider" and the fight against the fat guy in the web was still really tough because I didn't have antidotes left. early poison = reload.

I should learn cure poison some day.

e: As I understand it XP is split between party members. If some of your party members have capped XP does it just funnel the XP to the members that need it?

mbt fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 2, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

The non-party exp is split evenly amongst the party members, so a cheap way to rapidly level a dual class mage PC was to dismiss the entire party and then read a poo poo-load of spell scrolls. You could dismiss some of the party so the non-capped characters get a greater share of exp. Party Exp, awarded for a quest, is just a number that each person gets, so a 50k quest party exp award means everyone in the party gets exactly 50k exp.

This is good to know, thanks.

I haven't seen the actual baldurs gate city yet and I'm hype as heck atm

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I had to kill slaves to prevent viconia from leaving me

what have I become

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What does modmerge tool do?

Is not using it why my one BGEE mod is all hosed up? It was broken before SoD, and it's still broken now

(this is the mod)
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/34696/mod-improved-archer-kit-for-bgee-bg2ee-iwd-ee-and-original-bg2-bgt

instead of getting neat skills, my usable skills are listed as "crown of ___" and "robe of ______" one of them increases my wizard casting and the other one is cursed and lowers my lore. Of course they're reusable skills so it gets even wackier but it doesn't make any sense I just want to shoot arrows good.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Yep that did it. Apparently there's a new version of Weidu coming out (which blows my mind that there's still people updating this) that'll break everything again.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I got teleported to the Ice Island and there's a mage who is killing me. I normally don't have issues with mages, but the enclosed space means he usually fireballs me eventually which chunks a few of my people.

What's the SOP for mage killing if they have friends and start with mirror image? I've got two mages and a cleric, the rest are arrows or melee

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Huh, I think the days of lazy mage gameplay are over for me then.

Until now Neera has had 5 sleeps and 5 magic missiles, then 3 stinking clouds.

Sleep is great on enemies that don't take effort to kill, I should probably replace that with web.

Thanks for the tips

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I'm in chapter 5 of BGEE

it seems for the most part all of the loot is either just money loot or worse than the gear I already have.

is there any quest or item in the city of Baldurs Gate I should look out for? Side quest spoilers are fine, and in fact exactly what I'm looking for. I know about the helm of balduran already.

e: that iron throne fight :stare: that was probably the hardest fight I've seen thus far, at least in terms of micromanagement. Also the first time I used wands, as it turns out haste + grease -> double fireball wands wipes out most things.

mbt fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 5, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I beat BGEE! On normal but I think if I did it again I would probably do hard.

The toughest fight that I spent the most time on was probably the mage in the carnival tent. At least 20 reloads trying to figure out how I beat mages before I got it. Once I got to BG and my gold started multiplying I gave my Archer PC detonation and acid arrows and the challenge kinda stopped existing. I should have used more potions than I did, my potion bag ended up completely filled with resistance potions and stat buffs I never used.

And then I started SoD, which is another story. So I killed Sarevok by buffing flame resistance and giving everyone detonation arrows, fireballs, or throwing flame potions, and that almost killed him outright. Ten seconds of a burst of magic missile and acid arrows (haste is incredible, does it stack with oil of speed? I wasn't ever sure), and he drops. Sarevok's consorts are still alive, but it takes me to another cutscene and drops me in the SoD dungeon.

Except Minsc. He's somehow still in Bhaal's Chapel getting killed by Sarevok's friends. I like to think that glitch made him fight in that chapel for weeks straight.

SoD is real weird, every NPC acts like we're friends and know each other. Despite being an expansion all the NPCs I killed are alive. Whatever, muh immershun is ruined but I don't care. The good part is getting viconia and giving her the helm of reverse alignment I got and making her suddenly love that I'm a hero.

Mordaedil posted:

Seems strange when you consider the books have big sections saying "try to think these things through when designing your dungeons".

"Think of a funny quip to tell your players, like 'there's a mcdonalds in the next room, shut up'"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what is baldur's gate 3 going to be

are we going to gently caress up some (more) gods?

e: it would be amazing to gallop through the heavens murdering gods while your clerics get weaker because the gods that give them power are dead

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Suspicious posted:

There's only 1 greater wolfwere on the island. Everything else can be killed with any +1 stuff.

Eh? One outside the town, I think there's at least two in the boat

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Holy moly Siege just keeps going and going

I just cleared the bridge and rescued Daggerford, chapter 10 started? I was correct in my strategy of "Lets web and grease the doors to the camp and fireball people who come out :smuggo:" ezpz

it also helps I bought every single arrow of detonation BGEE offered me. I knew they'd come in handy, SoD sure likes to throw huge groups of enemies at you. Corwen and I are cleaning up.

is this like 50% of the way through? I've killed dragons and mindflayers and liches :pwn: this is really good stuff

mbt fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 13, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pierre McGuire posted:

Beat BG1 last night and I'm starting on SoD. My understanding is that I've been dropped into a tutorial dungeon for SoD and that my party will disperse and not everyone will be recruitable after that point. I have

CHARNAME
Dorn
Viconia
Safana
Edwin
Xan

Who of these isn't recruitable in SoD? Do I need to do anything with their gear (i.e., if someone's not coming I should take all their stuff) or does the game put it all somewhere for me?

the game will either have their gear on them or be deposited in a chest in your room after the first dungeon. Their inventory will be in the chest regardless.

I'll spoil this just in case but guy I'm answering you should read this
I think Xan is the only one that isn't with you. Safana Edwin and Viconia you meet fairly early, Dorn is about halfway through the game. If you wanted to you could probably strip Dorn of his gear and give it to a temp character until you meet him again. Xan's gear will be in that chest though.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pierre McGuire posted:

Great, thanks. I'm assuming the game will hand me a useful tank or two in the interim? (my PC is a kensai i'm dual-classing to druid so my party is quite squishy on the whole)

Not really! Minsc is the best it gets for a while. It's tuned a bit easier because of the lack of options at the beginning, but also because it's standalone so you could potentially not be importing a truckload of OP gear. I'd suggest taking the archer NPC, she's lawful good but man is she really REALLY good. She could probably solo the first part of the game with acid arrows tbh.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I've just finished my first ever BGEE playthrough I guess now that SoD is done

SoD is pretty rad, but I think you could mainline it and get through it pretty quick if you knew what you were doing. I saved and reloaded not really to savescum but to see what would actually happen if I did different things. Unfortunately many choices don't really affect anything :sigh:. That's okay, the combat sections felt incredible compared with parts of BGEE. The final sequence is really good, and it keeps going past when you think it'll end in a good way.

I've never played BG1 or BG2 ever before this, but I really hope the combat gets more and more obtuse. I like having lots of options.

Time for BG2 lets go team

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I think I'm at the "welcome to the world" part of BG2 (chapter 2) and I'm already liking it better than BG1 (sorry bg1).

Suddenly I see why a lot of people choose to just replay BG2 and skip irenicus's dungeon, you get to the bulk of the game almost immediately and start with fully fleshed out characters.

Can I beat BG2EE with a full melee (no ranger/mage/druid/cleric/sorcerer, paladin is still allowed) team? (yes I know almost anything can beat BG2 if you're good but I'm saying without knowing too much about what you're doing)

I was thinking

Monk
Blade or Skald
fighter/thief
paladin
paladin
berserker

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Without encyclopedic knowledge of the game system and enemy rules? No, you'll be absolutely hosed without casters.

Even if you know what you're doing it sounds like a really dull way to play the game.

Eh that's probably right. I just wish I could end the cycle of repetitively buffing before fights. I wish you could setup a buff macro for each character, but eh.

The hardest part of any BG game so far that I"ve played hands down was the ages of the prince and princess, especially because I didn't want to savescum or look it up. That can gently caress right off.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

quote:

The Archer kit will no longer be able to wear Ankheg Plate Mail
well you can gently caress right off

quote:

Spider's Bane will now protect against Grease
nevermind

quote:

Evermemory and Ring of Wizardry will no longer stack
:catstare: but I liked having 20 magic missiles

quote:

Neothelid Will now be Immune to Its Own Breath Weapon
lmao

anyone else find neat/actually gameplay affecting things?

e: easy link
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/57226/v2-2-update-release-notes-attached-bg-ee-bgii-ee

e2:

mbt fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 17, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Washout posted:

You should ditch the ranger/cleric for an Inquisitor, and dual the berserkers at 7.

why at 7? Solo berserker dual at 9?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Assuming I'm not going to cheat with EEKeeper what proficiencys do I take?

Katana + sword and shield? + ????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Siege of Dragonspear is really good. I never played the game before the expansion but it's really good. I dunno why you'd not want to play it.

probably doesn't own it or the EE's, which I can't blame anyone for.

the EE's are really good and actually got me to play BG1/2 (and SoD for that matter) but I paid the low low price of $3 each on gog.

SoD is $20 which I thought bordered on insane until I played through it. I could definitely see starting a playthrough at SoD instead of BG1. The fights are just so well designed and once you know what to do you can really speed through it if you want.