Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Smol posted:

The only thing I want is someone to fix Ascensions for EE :(

There's a beta release of an EE specific Ascension build on the beamdog forums somewhere. It was pretty stable.

E:fb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Now that you mention it, is there a mod that makes Carsomyr a longsword?

No, but there is a Bastard Sword version of Carsomyr in Watcher's Keep. If you're looking for a one hander so you can shield/dual wield.

If you're looking for a longsword specifically, no, you're SoL, use a real weapon type.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

You can pick and choose what parts to install to ignore most of the difficulty, and it does improve the endgame by quite a bit. That said, the EE version is still in beta and has a few potentially show-stopping bugs, so if you're playing EE you might want to hold off if you aren't familiar enough with the console to run any missed scripts yourself.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Lol I did said end fight last night, had never actually bothered doing any of the Ulgoth's stuff before for whatever reason.

That was a kick in the dick.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I've never successfully completed it without most of my party dying. I know there's a few ways to reliably beat it, but by that point in the game I'm ready to move on to BG2.

Turns out potions of mirror eye take care of the main gently caress you, after that it was just a lot of exploding and running my squishier characters around the room. First couple of attempts were def me getting hosed over hard though.

E:VVVV :unsmigghh:

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 5, 2020

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I played through TOB once and have never been able to bring myself to go back through it. Watcher's Keep is generally fun but TOB has like negative storytelling starting out and is just super loving jarring and bad imo.

Also Sarevok's return and subsequent redemption arc if you're good is completely unearned and I kinda hate how often it's held up as a selling point of the expac

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

FR is not exempt from the "better off without Elves" clause of Fantasy writing, news at eleven.

Also I agree with Zeerust, I actually super like Irenicus as a villain because at his core he's a petulant lovely child pretending at being wise and powerful with his magic and his charisma, and one of the game's greatest faults is not being able to really lay into the people of Suldanessalar or however the gently caress they say it for showing the exact same lack of self awareness that created Irenicus in the first place.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

Who the heck is Wilson or Winston

Unironically the best thing the EEs added

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah SoD was extremely solid, I like it more than BG1 and ToB for sure. BG2 still reigns supreme of course.

I expected worse but as usual all the gnashing of teeth was just salty grogs and a bunch of Gamer Opinions being thrown about.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

SoggyBobcat posted:

Blackguards get the Fighter stronghold I'm pretty sure.

They do, it's a default for everyone in that class group

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Nah the xvart quest was in the base game, it's just real easy to miss and has no reward beyond xvart murder. Like was said above, it's not in the same area, it's over with the farmer that has a cow getting attacked by xvarts like three screens away or something.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Everything wrong with NWN2 is worth dealing with to play through MOTB at least once.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Zeniel posted:

I recently went back and replayed NWN2 OC and had a good time with it for the most part. It felt a lot shorter than I remember with it. My only real gripes was Guyven of the road glitched out and never showed and my keep which is pretty minor and the final boss fight is completely busted.

Like, theres these barriers between you and the Black Garius that sometimes split up your party and you have to disable them with your ritual powers I think but they dont really work and it made that last bit a frustrating mess.

IIRC you can also just brute force any of the barriers with the sword

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I'm replaying NWN 2 and getting my rear end handed to me in the Warehouse quest in the Merchant Quarter. I get gang-banged by several thieves who all just keep wailing on me with sneak attacks. Ugh, this game wasn't this hard when I played it last time. Maybe it's cuz i'm a Warlock?

No, that place is just suddenly bullshit hard for no reason, it's a really weird difficulty spike out of nowhere and then the game goes right back to being easy as poo poo after it. The thieves all have arbitrarily high stats and you're generally too low level to have effective spell counters to them at that point.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The trial is no bullshit a good bit of game design, lot of neat reactivity there

Then you get to the keep management lol

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

queeb posted:

so wtf, i helped some kid find his dog and he turned into a loving demon

You're a good people

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Devorum posted:

It was always the story, though that name changed slightly between BG1 and BG2 being released.

Yeah, in the original BG1 disks they used the name John Icarus but I think that changed with a patch even before the EEs.

E: wow this thread blew up in the hour since I opened it and forgot to hit post on this

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, that was definitely the single best part of the OG NWN campaign.

Shadows and Horde are fine, I'd call Horde good personally, but otherwise eh. The EE is very, very good though. The recent graphical work they did was phenomenal. Everyone talks up Aeilund but tbh I only ever found it "okay" at best and kind of aggressively bad in several points. Some neat ideas but mostly just an excuse to romp around with OP items and read bad romance dialogue. Never heard of Swordflight, I'll have to look at that at some point.

I will continue to maintain that if you want 3d DnD party combat game you should just get NWN2 and MOTB and play through them as a set, even with how terrible the opening parts of the NWN2 OC are. Just some excellent payoff there.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

You actually don't want to do the big stuff like Aielund through the workshop, even though it's on there. While they're usually good about posting any other mod dependencies on the workshop page, you often need to actually manually move files around even after getting everything, and the workshop installation process 1) doesn't do that for you, and 2) often doesn't package the files the same way as any readmes you find will. Aielund, at least, had a showstopper bug because of this like three months ago and I doubt they've fixed it since then.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 20, 2020

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I mean you can still do the workshop download if you want, long as you know what needs to get moved where in order to avoid crashes.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Dillbag posted:

Gnoll stronghold is a great place to find out how overpowered sleep is.

Seriously.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Dealing with detect traps is one of my biggest peeves about replaying BG1-2 nowadays for sure. I didn't mind it originally but it seems like one of those no-brainer gameplay improvements.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I wanna say that's actually an SCS change, not an EE one. Don't quote me unless someone can confirm though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

It was, and I've had my eye on that game ever since. Haven't pulled the trigger though. But I too am interested in this mod pack, might convince me to go for it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The pathfinding being bad in big scenes is allegedly a result of the current pathfinding bugs which this patch that may release sometime is supposed to fix.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

bike tory posted:

that presupposes that he is not already a viable NPC which is an opinion I do not respect at all

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I know two things about the game Tyranny: It's exceedingly grim, and mages are overpowered.

I'm actually playing Tyranny for the first time right now, and while you are correct I have an addendum

It is hilariously grim

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

There's an LP of it on right now, but I haven't gone in too far. I take it that, in your estimation, the grimness goes around the s-bend to farcical?

It's not that the events themselves are necessarily absurd, but the way the characters sort of blithely acknowledge the horror in front of them every single time without fail makes everything unintentionally funny imo. Just an entire world of sarcastic assholes relentlessly warcriming each other and quipping about it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Ah, so you joined up with the disfavored/chorus.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

One thing I will give the game credit for is that by setting them against each other in Act 1 they make the Disfavored come across as the reasonable faction. Turn's out they ain't!

The Disfavored versions of the Burning Library and Stone Sea quests are drat near unfinished, though. Just a span of maps where you have to kill everyone. The fact that you're doing so to accomplish tasks that aren't in your interest which have been assigned to you by people who shouldn't have the authority to do so just makes it worse.

Both of Kyros' armies are monstrous which I'm glad the game acknowledges, and also that span of maps where you have to kill everyone is explicitly how the disfavored operate. If you joined them not expected to go full genocide with no recourse on everybody that doesn't wear a dumb looking iron helmet you misread.

Tyranny def has problems but I never felt it was anything like unfinished until maybe the last couple hours, depending on how you tackle the game. And it's a loving masterclass in reactivity, as someone upthread has said. Your choices individually may feel less impactful than a game that markets "choice" like Mass Effect or whatever, but Tyranny is much, much better at acknowledging you made those choices and those choices being a reflection of you in your interactions with other characters.

That said I also played the game enough to do like three of main routes following that first big decision point and they're pretty radically different, so I'm speaking from a couple dozen more hours of interaction with the game here, versus a first time run with fresh eyes for everything.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Now do anarchist lol

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Make a decision for me, friends.

Full series run with some bgtweaks stuff, Dragonspear included. Trying to choose between F/M (Multi, not dual) or Sorc. Haven't really played a heavy caster before (I tend to main Paladins in all things) but I'm familiar enough with the game to know what spells are good and what aren't, and sorc's spontaneous casting sounds really, really good as a result.

Yell advice at me, please.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Sorcerer will be squishy at first and you might die to a stray arrow. By the end of BG1 you'll be a terror and you'll be a living god for the rest of the game.

I mean that sounds pretty fuckin perfect for the BG story arc lol

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I have an idea of what to look out for RE good vs not, I have played the game a shitload. I just tend to always run a martial-heavy party, and my casters tend to homogenize into some form of Imoen/Aerie/Viconia casting buffs and the occasional nuke to open a fight and that's it. Figured I'd mix it up.

Thanks for the advice all.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Not only am I definitely going to take Skull Trap over fireball because it is absolutely the better spell, I also have the fix from the tweaks pack that makes it go off instantly if you fire it at a living creature. So I'm gonna be shotgunning those fuckers at all my problems.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Preeeety sure you still heal in the EEs. Beamdog didn't consider that a bug. And there's no mention on the wiki or anywhere else I can find of this being fixed.

I am also near positive I've seen gimmick club of detonation runs in the post EE universe that made mention of the healing.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

So I'm a ways into this sorc playthrough now. Just hit level 7.

Who the gently caress allowed spontaneous casting in this ruleset lol this is absurd

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I’m trying a sorcerer playthrough of bg1, and I’m wondering, does Spook just like not do anything? I used it on a wolf in the first wilderness area, its circle turned yellow, but it went ahead and chased my girl around anyway and ate me

If it turned yellow it should have just run the gently caress off.

Spook owns, I still use it even in early bg2.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Zane posted:

fear (denoted by yellow circle) can alternate between roughly three states: 1) running away, 2) standing dumbly in one place, 3) defending yourself.

In all my years playing these games I don't think I've ever once seen anyone afflicted with fear actually remain offensive in the way being described above. In fact what you described sounds more like confusion - feared targets behavior is always "get the gently caress away from what feared me" universally ime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

idk this is what Spook does

https://imgur.com/a/RwFWbeo

Yeah that's not right. You running mods?