Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't worry too much about charisma, though. It's a bit less important than Wisdom and Intelligence to begin with, and more importantly, there are tons of ways to get "Friends" (a CHA-boosting spell) on you whenever you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Max Wilco posted:

In that case, I'll stick to being a mage and recruit Dak'kon.

Since I was starting over, I decided to just reinstall the game along with all the mods. Something that might be worth noting is that the GOG installer changed, so instead of installing under the Program Files directory, the game now installs directly under the C drive (ex. C:\GOG Games\Planescape Torment). I also downloaded updated versions of the mods. Hopefully, that will fix the crashing, but if it doesn't, I'll remember what you said and try disabling the widescreen mod first to see if it's the cause.

Is there a certain minimum I should have in Charisma? The suggested build in the OP says to have a Wisdom of 18, an Intelligence of 16, and a Charisma of 14. If Charisma doesn't need to be that high, where should I distribute the remaining points?
Keep in mind that while Dak'kon can hurt things nice and good, his HP is fairly crap. He's got a bit of armour, but he can't stand up to punishment like Morte or a melee-centric Nameless One can.

As for Charisma? Friends nets you 2-8 CHA every time you use it, and I think you can stack it with itself (or just use the Maximized Friends mod). You should be able to find a scroll of it not long after leaving the Hive, as well as a tattoo that lets you cast it and a dude who sells magic candies that cast Friends.

Off the top of my head, there's only one really important CHA-based conversation, and it comes about half-way through the game. There are a couple sidequests in the Hive that you need decent CHA for, though. So you basically have a choice: bump up charisma early on so you can do those sidequests in the Hive, or leave charisma lower so you don't have "wasted points" when you pick up Friends.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, it's almost like alignment is dumb.

Shadow Thieves are still dicks, though.

Mordaedil posted:

In his Counter-Monkey series, Spoony of the Spoony Experiment discussed some details of his past as GM'ing for the RPGA. They were highly upset when he did the usual tabletop fuckery and they eventually kicked him out, because he had the audacity to let his players die to 3 level 1 wizards.

"Leaping wizards", it was called.
I thought they didn't even die, they just got scuffed up more than you would expect from three level 1 wizards?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The greatest innovation in the field of talking to videogame people in the last ten years was the option to not loving say anything in The Walking Dead.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Absolutely. They'll ditch you eventually if you ignore Nashkel forever, but you've got some leeway. You may die a time or two trying to get inside the inn itself, but you'll at least get a useful party member in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
100 years to mature makes a lot of sense...

... for a creature that is completely alien to a human in culture and society. "Eh, a bit higher dex, a bit worse con, marginally better with bows" doesn't really do much. It's just one of those things that pops up everywhere but pretty much never actually gets explored.

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 20, 2014