Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BG1 has Kagain with 20 Con, Coran with 20 Dex, Minsc with 18/93 St, and Edwin with his cheaty necklace...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Will that new GUI eventually "update" into any Steam installed BG1/2:EE or can you opt out somehow?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Crip Towe posted:

I'm going through EE now solo with a Fighter/Illusionist. I'm at level cap I think (lvl 7 for both and I don't get any more xp :'()
What equipment would you recommend I get before continuing the story? I'm in Baldur's Gate now and have access to Durlag's Tower etc.

You get pretty nice loot right out the gate (well, out of Jon's dungeon) in BG2, so the only loot you really want out of BG1 are the tomes.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

And the stuff that gets imported if, well, you import. Although I don't remember what exactly all the items that can be carried over are.

You get better stuff than anything out of BG1 with like an hour of playing BG2 after Chateau Irenicus, so it isn't really super important. Unless silly things like Drizzt's swords carry over, I can't remember if they do. And the pants, but again, those are for silly things.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Baldur's Gate was Bioware's second ever game (the first the long forgotten Shattered Steel, which wasn't an RPG), and it was also regarded as the "revival" of RPGs*.

There's a lot of things in Baldur's Gate which don't work brilliantly, because there wasn't a guide out there. Most notably, I'd say, the wilderness areas - the idea of "wander around and have adventures beside your main one" is one thing that low level RPGs tend to do a lot, but actually having to wander your character around maps, without knowing if there's anything there, when the game spent a long time encouraging you to stay on the road isn't great design in my opinion.

TotSC benefits from that experience, although bear in mind it is much easier to design a well flowing largely storyless dungeon than it is a whole game. They knock it up a notch with Watcher's Keep, too, in which each floor plays around a lot with different "kinds" of dungeon puzzle and as a whole it can be taken as something of a "dungeon design greatest hits".

*Side point: the game came out in 1998, 18 years ago. 18 years before BG1 was Pac Man, Zork and Missile Command!

RE: the wilderness: I got the game pretty much when it came out (in Finland), having played both Fallouts (or just 1? I can't remember the chronology), and 18 years ago BG 1 seemed inviting enough to rampage all through the countryside. I obviously can't remember what I did in the first games of it I played, but I think there's a fairly straightforward chain of investigating the road between Friendly Arm and Beregost, Beregost encourages you to go kill Bassilus, you find a +2 short sword for Imoen on the same map (and the poor chicken who guides you to a big shop of magic), and another map over you have the coast with the sirines and the Gift of Peace. By the time you're knocking about Cloudpeak mountains you've been given plenty of evidence that LOOT and EXPERIENCE is to be had just by de-fog-of-warring everything. The game isn't super railroaded, but I find this is a plus over BG 2 and its awkward "keep Imoen waiting for three months while I quest everything" thing.

Having just replayed BG1, there's less stuff than I seem to remember from way back when, but I think I've been spoiled by BG2 and other games.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Why did he pick CHARNAME in the first place? The joke in TOB suggests he could've gotten a Bhaal-soul from a kobold/xvart/whatever tiny monster that wouldn't be as much of a pain in the rear end as CHARNAME.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kavak posted:

You're supposed to be really powerful by Bhaalspawn standards, since you're the protagonist and all. What's the joke exactly?

Somewhere in TOB you run into literally a xvart, kobold and some third insignificant monster who all claim to be Bhaalspawn. I don't remember where this happens tho :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cythereal posted:

NPCs I unironically recommend without knowing anything about your particular likes and dislikes: Fade, Tashia, Sarah, Finch (BG1).

I personally wrote Darian and Valerie (who's BG1 only for now), so I can't offer a recommendation or condemnation on either beyond that Darian was quite intentionally supposed to be a huge jerk who gradually gets better and I have no idea why he has fangirls. :v:

Is there something especially onerous with Kelsey? It's obvious it's the guy himself written into the game, but he comes off (in early BG2) as a harmless fellow with self-esteem issues.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I found him annoying and, as you said, a self-insert. Also, I do not need the details of his love life with Imoen in ToB, which he's all too happy to tell you about at length if you don't romance him yourself and keep Imoen in the party with him.

Have not seen that, thanks for the heads up I guess :stare:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Change is bad :reject:

lol, just lol if you didn't copy the v. 1.3. EE games to a place where Steam couldn't touch them

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If you want a kensai/mage, you should start with the kensai and dual at 9/13, sorry

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm on Chapter 3 as a Fighter/Cleric, doing Cernd's quest in the druid grove. I've just dropped Anomen for Cernd. Other than the thing where I urge him to go to the magistrate as opposed to seek revenge, is his further quest worth playing?

Not really sure who I should have as my party, as it is currently:

Minsc
Nalia
Jaheira
Cernd
Yoshimo

I'm feeling like I am light on pure magic... is Jan a better option than Nalia? Once I have finished De'Arnisse hold, is there much reason to keep her around?

When is it that Yoshimo betrays me - I'm really only keeping him around for basic thief stuff and for that part of the story. Based on the above, anyone want to recommend a party? Is there perhaps an Enhanced Edition new character or two worth adding?

Yoshimo betrays you right before you get Imoen back, who is a decent mage/thief and better than Nalia IIRC

The consensus seems to be that Cernd is one of the weakest recruits, though I've personally never played more than his quest with him.

Aerie becomes a magic monstrosity later on in BG2/TOB; Jaheira can buff up to a beast-tank. Jan Jansen is a decent NPC, but his banters really divide opinion. I've only tried the wild mage from EE, and she's fun if you don't mind the quirks / reloads from wild surges.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

When precisely is it determined whether your apprentices die in the wizard stronghold quest? Can you save before entering the Sphere and scum reloading that until your apprentice(s) live? At least the Wikia seems to imply this is random with some items they can make.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cool, thanks! :tipshat:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

To add to Head Hit Keyboard's good summary of the situation, one of the appeals of going through the BG1(EE) campaign is going from a 4 HP twig to a demigod within the entire BG series campaign, the contrast is fun to look back on. But yeah, the BG1 world is very much 'wander around and see what kind of weird stuff there is in the forest' (there's a lot of weird stuff) or the same in BG city proper. And then there's Durlag's Tower, which is a great but also sometimes infuriating mid-low-level dungeon romp. BG2(EE) has much more content on railroads, but the quest-driven nature of it is a much more coherent experience.

Also BG1 has all the tomes of stat rising, so if you feel it is 'cheating' to CLUA-import them to the start of BG2, it's a forest romp for you my friend! :haw:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

And conversely, in BG2 the plot motivation for the character's path is rather at odds with what would be the optimum progression from a game play point of view. Of course part of that could be that I just want to explore everything like in BG1 :shrug:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You see that motherfucker right there?

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Sarah is the only one that comes to mind.

I have never gone that far with the Kelsey romance, is there some weird stuff buried there?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

Are T/M multicast viable?

If you find Coran with speed boots hilarious, imagine what a thief with access to the illusion school of spells can do :allears: In BG2, at least.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Does Azuredge work against Kangaxx? It's meant to be +4 against undead, at least.

edit: never mind, it's not usable by evil characters :(

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 26, 2017

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Pierre McGuire posted:

has anyone found a fix/workaround for custom sound sets not playing some of their sounds (mostly selection sounds) since SoD came out?

This is just a shot in the dark, but at least in the original games/early EE versions the sounds worked off this list of filenames

quote:

XXXXXXXa.wav : Battle Cry
XXXXXXXb.wav : Becoming Leader
XXXXXXXc.wav : Tired
XXXXXXXd.wav : Bored
XXXXXXXe.wav : Badly Wounded
XXXXXXXf.wav : Selected 1
XXXXXXXg.wav : Selected 2
XXXXXXXh.wav : Selected 3
XXXXXXXi.wav : Action Acknowledgement 1
XXXXXXXj.wav : Action Acknowledgement 2
XXXXXXXk.wav : Action Acknowledgement 3
XXXXXXXl.wav : Being Hit
XXXXXXXm.wav : Dying
XXXXXXXn.wav : In Forest
XXXXXXXo.wav : In City
XXXXXXXp.wav : In Dungeon
XXXXXXXq.wav : Daytime
XXXXXXXr.wav : Nighttime
XXXXXXXs.wav : Rare Selected 1
XXXXXXXt.wav : Rare Selected 2
XXXXXXXu.wav : Rare Selected 3
XXXXXXXv.wav : Rare Selected 4
XXXXXXXw.wav : Reaction to Party Member Death

If your custom sound set is formatted like that, and a new version decided to change the naming convention, this would break the custom sound set. I can't confirm with my current set-up whether this is the case.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Started playing the EEs a good while ago, ran out of steam shortly after importing to BG2. Finally loaded my save up again. I have no memory of the mods I installed but my party was in the Haer Dalis prison dimension and the cambion there proceeded to hit my guys with several greater whirlwinds :shepspends:

Took a couple of reloads and I'm now facing the issue that I've never had a bard in my party and don't know what to do with him.

Also some guy sold me a mule that now follows me around but looks like a mushroom guy.

These mods sound, erm, magical :allears:

If you did your modding via Weidu, you can check out your logfile in your Baldur's Gate 2 folder, weidu.log :eng101:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

kujeger posted:

D&D Rangers are basically Strider from LoTR.

Are the pips in two weapons due to Drizzt, or is that a nerd myth?

ChrisBTY posted:

The worst thing about Minsc is that his weapon proficiencies are stupid for a ranger.
Longbow (fine) two pips in 2 Handed Swords (Minsc stop you're a ranger) and one pip in Maces which is one of the worst 1 handed weapons in terms of cool weapons available (there's mace of disruption and ummm...)

The mace makes sense from a game development perspective, sort of, since Minsc is one of the "default" companions and this game is full of god drat vampires :suicide:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

cigaw posted:

Dang Prof. Cirno, that's a lot of :words:. Great summary!

Seconded, thanks professor Cirno, that's a cool history post :)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

I'm not saying it's not a very strong party, just that you could easily break IWD before the EE came out. The EE even made it harder in a sense because you can no longer trivialize nearly everything with Web + (stolen) Rings of Free Action.

Can you expand on this a bit? I've been playing the EE for the first time and found this exact combination quite good, what was even more powerful about it in the original? For reference, I've only just beaten the snake dungeon, if it starts sucking later on :smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I don't necessarily criticize the EEs as a concept, but I stopped my BGs from updating with version 1.3.2053/2064 and believe I've hit a decent enough spot :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Any tips on killing the big mob at the bottom of Watcher's Keep, the last seal? With the marilith, beholder and that forking archer monstrosity. My party's CHARNAME berserk/druid, Korgan, Sarevok, Viconia, Edwin, Imoen. My previous strategy through SoA and ToB of "punch things until they're dead" doesn't seem to be working here :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If you want a role-playing computer game that sometimes actually makes you want to sit down for a moment and just think about stuff, you can pick up Planescape: Torment. BG1 & 2 are both adventures in the most generic fantasy setting the (already) generic D&D universe has to offer, they don't take themselves too seriously but still have good characters, decent enough writing for what it is meant to be, and the combat is fun (again, for D&D) and engaging. Also you get to loot a lot of wonderful shiny things and I for one love looting thingies. Yessss.

I mean sometimes you wanna watch The Seventh Seal, and sometimes you feel more like a Marvel movie. The thing is knowing which is which and what to expect?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Trademeet! That's it! The place where everyone gets statues!

Which of course you make into a thing that scares small children

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm sure this question has been asked in this thread a hundred times but any tips on what to tackle first in early Baldur's Gate 2? I've cured Jaheira's curse but not much else.

I went to the graveyard next as I had two quests there but two skeletal warriors owned the poo poo out of me in the first room I went into.

My MC is a fighter/mage, and I've got Minsc, Jaheira, Hexxat, Yoshimo and Anomen - his turn undead didn't have any effect on the skellies or Hexxat for the record

Good starting quests are the circus tent, the slavers in the slums, and then maybe de'Arnise keep / Nalia's quest (you don't have to bring her) since the keep is full of stuff that harms the bad guys there. The Unseeing Eye quest isn't very challenging either if you can figure out how to deal with (or cheese) beholders. Umar Hills is also okay-ish but you will likely have to leave some stuff for later on. After a couple initial quests going to Trademeet is also a good idea, once you help them out there's a lot of good stuff for sale. And after a couple of these 'stronghold-level' quests you can tackle the weird sphere in the Slums, and once you've done all this, you've leveled up enough and gotten enough loot that you can pretty much pick and choose what to do then.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

bike tory posted:

Aren't golems intelligent enough to tell staff from invaders, if they were actually under control?

There's at least one quest in the game that tells us that 'if' is, well, iffy :v:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Suspicious posted:

Also dualing to druid is generally pretty unfeasible if you don't cheat your stats because they require both 17 wisdom AND charisma.

But yeah berserker/druid is fun. Just please dual no later than level 9.

For my berserker druid I just figured I'd wear the dexterity gauntlets for the whole series and it worked out pretty nicely, or at least I had a very fun time with it!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

H13 posted:

There are, but I couldn't go back for them.

Durlag's Tower is like a Kaizo Romhack of Baldur's Gate. The dungeons were made by somebody who knew what they were doing, then a dickhead laid traps, chessboards and battle horrors everywhere.

I find this description hilarious having subjected myself to the wonder of Kaizo, but it's also kind of true from a pure game-design perspective. Durlag's tower was meant (or at least released) as more or less post-end-game content, and while I would have to look up the various versions of the Sarevok fight he's pretty mean in all of them. Unless you know your D&D 2.5 ed mechanics, which I certainly didn't as a kid playing this game, and my very first character to reach the end game was a kitless (those didn't exist when I made the character) totally unoptimized bard, because I remembered playing a bard in Ultima 4 :smith:

These games are an artifact of their time, bringing back role-playing etc., and 20 years later there's some questionable game design in there. Durlag's was the dungeon that's being run by a purposefully sadistic GM, because those were a thing back then. (Or in the previous 'generation' of RPGs, at any rate) It's certainly not Wizardry 4 level insane shenanigans, but as an optional very challenging side-area it wasn't that ridiculous at the time IMO. As an adult I've beaten it as 'legitimately' as is sensible (and yes this includes nuking the chessboard because come on) a few times, but it took a lot of reloading as a dumb kid. Those auto-invisibling assassins can go straight to Hell.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Should I go east to that temple and kill the evil cleric for 5,000 gold or is level 1 still too early to be doing that sort of thing? Also should I go and help that dwarf kill bandits before going to Nashkel even though Xzar has complained about it once?

That area with the evil cleric is fun, but you maybe shouldn't go there if this is your first go at this until after Nashkel. If you do go after him specifically though, take a few reloads to figure out the 'Zhentil keep' talky line.

Kagain needs to see his job is done in the sense that he needs to see a dead caravan. Xzar (and Monty) have a timer to visit Nashkel in a week or two after recruiting them, after that it's all you.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The romance options are also all your divine casters. Except Cernd, but who the hell ever remembers that he exists?

That turns out to be my main beef with party composition in BG2. You're drowning in mages and fighter types, and either Imoen or Jan can cover your thieving needs (and you're nuts if you don't want either of them around) but I don't really like any of the clerics. Viconia is alright, but she conflicts with my desire to do good deeds and not have party members bitch about it. One of the low key best changes to the EE is that neutral party members will actually be happy to have a high reputation.

A bit late, but: Funnily enough, if you get the 'friendly' file and put it into your override folder, I think it just flips the evil NPC's reputation reaction table, and once you hit 19 reputation the evil NPCs start giving their happy lines instead. I tend to like having Viconia as the party cleric, so this little modification is a must for me. I think I've only done Viconia's romance once or twice because romances are pretty cheesy in BG2 IMO.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Minor sidenote, it was only in recent years I discovered how sort of brokenly good pick-pocketing is, at least in BG2. While at some point (in an unmodded game anyway) gold becomes largely meaningless, in addition to robbing shops you get a butt-load of good loot just by pickpocketing random people, mostly consumables but also stuff like Ribald's ring of regen (and that's straight out of the Chateau, too...). And since you tend to want your thief around for locks and traps, a bard's pickpocket is pretty nice. In general, a blade is a fairly different experience from a normal bard.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 9, 2020

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

^Once your skill hits around 100, it's fairly reliable for NPCs, for shops a bit more is a good idea. But due to the issue you mention, if you want to rob Athkatla blind you will need a lot of save-scumming, so if this feels too cheesy then pickpocketing isn't that viable.

pentyne posted:

Rich NPCs and guards in rich districts usually have nice stuff. There a famousish glitch where you can pickpocket enemies while they are in a neutral state and get duplicates of items they drop. Unless they fixed it you could get 2 rings of gaxx this way.

I think EE fixes this; I know that you can't get two rings of the ram or whatever it's called from Tolgerias anymore, not sure about Gaxx since honestly I haven't killed him in ages.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I'm gutting and reinstalling my Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 installs to make sure any mods I add are fresh. What is the verdict on the Unfinished Business packs for 1 and 2? Also, I noticed on my BG2 installation previously that some of my spells, like Summon Fire Elemental, were missing their icons. They were perfectly usable if you know where they are in your inventory, but it seemed weird. Is that a bug/component of IWDification mod?

I tend to always have UB for BG2 installed, but it doesn't really do much. Off the top of my head the most 'significant' ones are that you can get the magic lamp Kalah used and the usual genie "moral choice" thing, and Minsc gets a personal quest which upgrades his strength and you can get the city casting license for free. Then there's some dialogue, monster and item changes etc.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

shovelbum posted:

Yeah I don't think it's meant to be ironman'd without a lot of specific encounter knowledge

There's a lot of crazy encounters (and ambushes, the end of the Durlag quest alone, geez), but there's also so many insta-kill traps too that I'd say it isn't possible to ironman this game without a huge load of metagaming.

That said, someone has ascended Nethack without spoilers, so... Although I don't know how you'd un-spoil yourself for playing BG :shrug:

rope kid posted:

One specific person at WotC was really resistant to any requests I made to modify the ranger, including the suggestion of using Monte Cook's variant. This person became so troubled by my attempts that he asked my boss to fire me, which is epic. (He is no longer there.)

That is the craziest 'dicks at the workplace' story I've ever heard and I've worked in academia :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Decided to dick around with baldur's gate EE: and decided that I want to have the canon party on one run (ranger) and a non canon party on the other run (cavalier paladin). What's a good party composition for the latter?

BG1 has a lot of potential companions (at least compared to vanilla BG2), but let's look at some non-canon options. If you're role-playing a paladin then the evil ones aren't really for you I suppose, but there's some good gimmick characters in the evil pool too.

Wizards: The obvious answer is Edwin with his cheaty amulet and excellent lines, but he's evil and I guess his presence robs you of a fun wilderness mage fight. Most over-powered mage in the game either way, just can't identify junk. Xan is fun (if you enjoy endless existential despair, YMMV) and I've played through the game with him to the end a few times. His lack of evocations isn't so bad in BG1 since magic missile doesn't reach its full potential until near the end, and you still get acid and flame arrows, and :getin: skull trap. Xzar is... Well, insane, I've never taken him to the end myself, and you either roll with Monty or get rid of him somehow. Neera is a wild mage, and how hilarious you find that pretty much dictates how much you'll enjoy playing with her around. Quayle is okay I guess, but you get him kind of late unless you mod the game. I've never bothered to try the drow sorcerer, but he's a sorcerer so you can't go too wrong there I suppose.

Priesty types: Yeslick is pretty good both for cleric spells and punching dudes in the face (he will eventually conflict with Kagain, mind), but he's in chapter 4. Branwen is a pure cleric and is OK I guess, and same goes for Viconia (who is evil and will lower your reputation by 2 at point of recruitment), but they're less viable for face-punchy until fairly late in the game once you get some gear for their stats. Faldorn the druid is annoying and in vanilla BG1 the druid spell pool pretty much sucks. Tiax is insane, and only available in chapter 5 and on, but he's got an... Interesting multi-class as a cleric thief, and he has a pet ghast.

Hitting dudes in the face department: Ajantis is the poster-boy for lawful stupid and will eventually conflict with all evil companions if you want any of them around. Okay fighter though. Kivan is a decent archer, which is always good in BG1. Coran is better, and he can also backstab, and he's more fun to have around, but you only get him in chapter 4. Montaron is IMO the lesser fighter-thief around, but you get him right at the start if you want him. (As above, he is tethered to the insane necromancer) Shar-teel is pretty frail, but makes for another decent archer and can be dualled to a thief (dual-classing is a bit of a pain if you're not familiar, however). The opposite end is the evil dwarf Kagain, who starts out with 20 Constitution meaning he will (very slowly) regenerate health just by standing around. If you recruit him early and play with max HP rolls he will be a brick outhouse of HP by the end of the game. I have not tried Dorn in BG1 yet, but I hear he's good at the face-punchy. Very evil though.

Rogues: Imoen was meant as the default thief, but can be substituted with Safana or (in chapter 5) Alora without noticing much difference. I haven't played with Alora in the party that much, but I vaguely remember some discussion in this thread earlier about her rabbit's foot being better than what it says on the tin? Also in chapter 5 you can get Skie, who is paired with the evil bard Eldoth. There is also a neutral bard, Garrick, available as soon as you reach Beregost. Both bards are, well, okay bards, they can use a bow and wands so they can be useful if you can spare the party slot.