Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I have a problem with IWD and I hope someone can help me.

I recently upgraded to Win 8.1 and now whenever I start IWD with 3D acceleration on, the game is occupying only a small window, and not the whole screen no matter the resolution. It plays normally in fullscreen when I untick 3D acceleration from config, but then I have that ugly fog of war artifacts. Starting the game in other compatibility modes doesn't help.

Does anyone know the solution?

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's GOG version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I had a similar problem with Icewind Dale. Whatever resolution I chose, the display never stretched to fit the screen, instead giving me only a small window in the center. Sadly I never found a fix for this, but the game played normally if I disabled 3D acceleration in config.exe

Problem with this is that fog of war looks godawful on modern systems, but it's at least playable.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The way that game calculates stats is to roll for stats normally, checks if it's lower than minimum and then bumps it up if it is. This is good since you get higher stats, and it's bad because you can never lower them if those stats are in an attribute you don't care about (like paladin's charisma which can be easily bumped to 18 in BG2 with a certain item).

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Spek posted:

It actually rerolls if the stat is below the minimum. You can easily see this by rerolling a Paladin a few times. You get far more 18s in Cha than you would if it just increased it to the minimum. Same with Str and Wis significantly more than half your rolls would be 12 and 13 respectively if it just bumped it up to the min.

Thanks, didn't know that. It makes sense tho.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Dual wielding is always stronger.

That's the best two swords :v:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

BadAstronaut posted:

drat, I already started with longsword and longbow. How long will it be before I can max out two-handed - how many levels do I need to climb? And can paladins only get two slots in a proficiency?

Paladins get only two proficiency slots so don't sweat it. I don't know when exactly, but you will have two points in two handers before BG2 starts. If you want them now, you can always use shadow keeper to redistribute those points.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

IWD doesn't have much of a story or characters (all 6 are player made), but its dialogues are well written and fun to read, has a great music, beautiful maps and atmosphere is top notch. It's the chillest of IE games.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

IWD2 also has Heart of Fury mode that is pure :suicide:

The furthest I got was the Hand.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I forgot most of the loot for IWD1 but I think a huge chunk of it is random drops and not guaranteed to show up in every playthrough. Because of that I always liked to have as much group diversity as possible, in not just class and weapon proficiencies, but alignment and race too. I seem to remember a fair amount of loot that was restricted to a specific race/alignment. Not a ton, but enough to make me want to diversify the party. It's not really necessary to do this though, just my preference.

Although I think the best loot in the game was usually the pre-set drops that you get in every playthrough. The best weapon in the game was the Paladin Holy Sword and although it was pre-set, it was pretty drat easy to miss without a walkthrough. If I remember right it's a longsword in IWD, not a 2hander like BG2.

Paladin Holy Avenger Cera Sumat is from IWD2. I don't remember there being one in IWD1.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Ginette Reno posted:

There is. It's called Pale Justice, and you find it on a body in a little house in the Umber Hulk/Malavon area in Lower Dorn's Deep. It's extremely easy to miss.

:monocle:

I think I need to replay this game.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Dan Didio posted:

Well, now, I don't know what to think. What the gently caress. Someone please give me an interesting build to spec my incredibly generic Fighter Bow/Longsword Dude into.

Just go with whatever, don't sweat it too much. Start min-maxing only when you start to hate yourself are on your fifth game. Bow/Longsword dude is fine.

EDIT: Beaten :argh:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Given how big this game is on Real Time With Pause, I really can't see more than two people being genuinely fun.

I never played multiplayer with 6 people, but if everyone controls one character, I don't think you'll be pausing that much, except with maybe very high level wizards.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

sweart gliwere posted:

It's not so much about wanting every greatsword to have some equally-powerful club just as available, but it's pretty silly to have no option of a +5 in several of the available weapon categories. Staffs are sticks as well, and they certainly don't top out at +3. I'd assume anyone who progresses from zero to god should have access to at least one +5 weapon in their specialties. Even if 99.99% of that category is improvised garbage for small-time thugs, the protagonist has explored a continent and seen some crazy stuff. They escaped from hell multiple times, and even visited a patch of Athas.

Clubs aren't cool enough. I think that's it, basically.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Jastiger posted:

In IWD2, do I have to actually restart the game if I want to redo my party, or can I make a new member on the fly?

Yeah, click character arbitration button (C) and modify. Your new character will be lvl 1.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Iretep posted:

I think I'm using a mod that allows me to because I tried it out recently.
Edit: Well drat, seems like I dont have a mod for it after all. Back to the drawingboard I guess.

You could try this mod.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

In BG (EEs, probably in regular one too) if you create a human avenger and then dual into fighter, you could wear any armor except studded leather, circumventing one of that kits weaknesses. Sadly, you'll probably want the opposite; starting as a fighter and continuing as a druid.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

fspades posted:

So when is the last time I can visit the Battle Square in IWD2? You can give mild spoilers if you like. Seems to make sense to finish it as late as possible.

That wizard dude will teleport you there one last time just when you finish that drat time loop in the Dragon's Eye. You can't miss it.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

IWD2 plot is born out of the ashes of a dead IWD plot, but it's nothing critical. At the beginning of IWD2 you can find a fat old woman with a house full of cats who can inscribe IWD plot into your journal.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Robes of Good/Bad/Ugly archmage (AC 5 always) and a whole plethora of immunity spells that become more useful in late game than pure AC, etc..

So basically, yeah.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I haven't been paying much attention to IWDEE, when is it due to come out?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

fong posted:

30th October

:eyepop:

That's in a week. Will definitely check out goons reactions to it. Thanks.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Skwirl posted:

Literally answered 3 posts before this. Read the loving thread rear end in a top hat.

You are right, so it was.

Get hosed.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

LibbyM posted:

Edit: In enhanced edition, does the "paladin won't accept quest rewards" rule hold true for all paladin kits, even the evil blackgaurds?

Paladins and monks only refused quest rewards in IWD2, so we'll have to wait and see for IWD2:EE. I don't believe they would implement that in IWD1:EE.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

HOW_male_1 is the best voice in IWD and in every other IE game for that matter.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Skwirl posted:

Does C/R mean cleric/ranger? because they should be able to cast spells at level one. Does the ee edition fix the bug/feature where they get full access to druid spells at level one, because if so thats half the utility of a ranger/cleric right down the drain and I'd drop them for a fighter/druid

Cleric/Rangers were only broken (had both priest and druid spells) in BG. In IWD they always had only priest spells, or if they didn't then it was fixed later, I can't remember.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Iretep posted:

IWD2s point buy system is stupidly broken though. Only game that has a more broken one is temple of elemental evil.

TOEE has an okay point buy system. The problem is that it's bugged so you can go all 18, but that's not by design like IWD2 is.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

jBrereton posted:

Paladin is also good for this, the 2e games auto-roll you a 17 in CHA for Paladins and they have reasonably high base wisdom requirements too.

You might have to skimp a little on dex and con to get decent int, but IIRC the limit for con +hp for non-Fighters is 2 (which I think is 16?), so all it affects is Raise Dead chance, I think.

Fighters, Paladins, Rangers and Barbarians do get more hp from CON. All others cap at 16 (+2).

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Everyone actually plays chaotic evil PCs, even if your char sheet says otherwise. That's why she sounds like an angel to you.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I'm currently playing IWN:EE and those Umber Hulks that ambush you to open up the way for Pale Justice wont show up. Was this changed or is it a bug?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

MegaGatts posted:

Hmmm, I didn't notice on my play through. If you're on the PC you can always console your way up there if all else fails.

Thanks, will see if something pops up later regarding the sword.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

inscrutable horse posted:

IIRC, it's tied to that talking skeleton who just won't quit. I haven't played all that much lately, but I think you're supposed to lay his spirit to rest, which for some odd reason is supposed to "unlock" the cave.

You are right, so it is. Weird.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Zilkin posted:

BG2EE 1.3 beta is now available on Steam. Here's how to activate it:

They also released the patch notes which actually highlight some very nice new features. Including improved pathfinding(!), more imported gear from BG1, the game remembers which spells you had memorized before getting level drained, mods can now import variables from BG1 saves, etc.

Took them a year to get even this beta out, but at least it seems to have some very nice improvements in addition to bug fixes.

:pusheen:
Whoa!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

For games that are more focused on combat and dungeon crawling, IWD1/2 have some awesomely written dialogue.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

It's a Bioware game, so it's good that they've been consistent.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I can't remember if the holy avenger is in IWD 1 or 2, I also can't find a conclusive answer.

It's in both. Pale Justice in IWD1 and Cera Sumat in IWD2. Both are longswords.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Just wanted to say that IWDEE has nerfed Kensai for those of you who are planning to try it there. They can't use throwing weapons anymore and Kensai/Mage cannot put anything in body and hands slot, including mage robes and bracers. Still OP as gently caress tho.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Half-Orc Barbarian is a no brainer. 19 str (20 with that belt that gives +1 str), 18 dex, 19 con (20 if you take axe proficiency and buy Lonesome Road). Oh, and +4 to str and dex when raging plus a bucketful of hp due to con (it adjusts when you rage) and 12 hp/lvl. Also unlike berseker, you aren't tired after raging.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Octo1 posted:

Works for me, but it's been ages so I don't remember if I've done anything special to get it to run.

Edit: after looking through my install folder, I imagine this had something to do with it.

I have 8.1 and GOG version of IWD2 works like crap. After putting files from this same link, game works much better. There's constant UI flickering but it's at least playable. We really need EE version.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Wait, if they are working on BG 1.5 which is a completely new game, then that implies they got AD&D licence from Wizards or whoever, right? I thought they aren't giving it anymore.

Of course, this is if we presume that BG 1.5 is AD&D to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

moot the hopple posted:

Only if you get your levels back. If they are inactive, then the restrictions of the new class you dual into should be taking effect. In case of dualing into druids, it should be non-metal armor and druid weapons, i.e. clubs, slings, spears, scimitars, etc.

Nope, Kensai restrictions are there even if his levels are inactive.