Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I know IWD EE added a bunch of spells and stuff from BG2, but do enemies use them?

Because if they don't and there are no bullshit contingencies and sequencers to dismantle in this, the GOG deal is really hard to pass up.
If they do, I still might go for it, but ehhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Metal Meltdown posted:

When I played through IWD:EE I don't recall any complicated mage battles like BG2. IWD is the uncivilized lands so it's actually pretty rare you'll be fighting the casters that are so common in Baldurs Gate.
True enough. I was still remembering some of the setpiece fights that had pretty tough mages, mainly. But you're right, IWD mostly doesn't throw as many of those at you as BG2 loves to.

Arivia posted:

There's one in Chapter 6 which includes contingencies, but it doesn't involve Breach or similar.
Cool, that's just what I wanted to hear. And I definitely remember that one; that's a fun fight to me, unlike repetitive spell protection wars.

Time to start thinking about party composition, then.

Hughlander posted:

Thinking about going back to my bg2 illusionist fighter. What would the dual wield weapon progression look like?

Last time I played (years and years ago) I did katana kensai/mage and remember the ce adventure mart off hand was good but also wasn't sure if I should be thinking apr weapon instead
I played a Fighter/Illusionist that went with Flails and Scimitars once. In SoA she had the Flail of Ages as a main weapon, and switched between Defender of Easthaven and Belm in the off-hand as the situation demanded. Since you can't get Grand Mastery, you'll end up with multiple specializations anyway. And this combination gives good offensive and defensive options.

BG1 without ranged weapon proficiencies was rough for the character, though. Fighter/Mage multiclasses are strong throughout the game(s), but they still have some fairly pronounced ups and downs at lower levels that you'll feel a lot more if the character's hanging out in melee all the time.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Well gently caress.

Are rangers better with two bastard swords, or a bastard sword and shield?
You can switch depending on the situation and available gear. Rangers start with points in dual-wielding anyway, and the bonuses from weapon and shield style are bad, so don't bother with leveling it up.
Later on, dual-wielding is generally better, but in BG1 and early BG2 sword and board definitely has its place.

General advice for a bastard sword-using Ranger would be to level a ranged weapon and a melee weapon that does a different damage type, preferably crushing. The first is more important in BG1, the second in BG2. Hammers can cover both to some degree, but aren't the only option.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
All good points if you're optimizing your weapon selection, yeah.

Personally, I wouldn't go with Hammers, actually. At least not in combination with Bastard Swords, because that's gonna be a looooong time without even one decent set of weapons in BG2 unless you rush Watcher's Keep (and even then you don't get anything too special iirc).

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I'm playing Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition.
Ah, my mistake. Dual-wielding being a thing in IWD is still new to me, so I just assumed you were talking about BG when you mentioned it. :downs:
General advice still stands, but it's hard to say what the best proficiency to invest in would be due to lots of stuff being random loot. I want to say that I remember there being a good non-random Morning Star later on, but to be honest, that might as well be wrong.

quote:

At what level should I attempt the big tomb in the vale of shadows? The number of undead shitters that run around on level 2 and 3 is loving ridiculous. My lovely mage knows something like 3 spells, but my fighters all have +1 weapons, so I shouldn't be being stomped on so regularly.
Well, if you've already cleared the Vale including all other tombs (you should), there's really nowhere else to go. That place especially really punishes you if you pull all enemies at once, so try drawing out only a few at a time. You can also buy magic Molotovs in Kuldahar if all else fails.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I finished IWD twice so far, once with four, once with five people in the party. Even if it's harder than with a full party, it's far from the worst mistake you could make. Crowd control and summons help a lot and obviously benefit from faster leveling.

Washout posted:

With only a 4 person party I see no reason to dual class anyone, just multiclass instead. That way you can make the f/t a halforc the f/c a dwarf and the f/m an elf.
I had a dual-classed Thief/Mage for both my playthroughs, which was nice because it allowed me to minimize Thief levels while still covering the most important skills.

Anyway, small parties mean less class downtime when dual-classing, so I wouldn't just rule it out, but three out of four characters dualing, likely at the same time, sounds miserable.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Washout posted:

Dual class Berserker or Kensai 9 / Mage Either of these is in contention for "most op class combo in the game"
Kensai/Mage really wants to go to Kensai level 13, otherwise the to-hit and damage bonuses just don't quite add up to enough, especially when you consider that the Berserker gets similar stuff via Rage and Kensais lose access to the gauntlet slot, which usually means a small offensive buff of some kind.

Any warrior/caster combination, multi- or dual-classed, is really good though, so you can kind of do whatever you want and it'll be fine.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

My problem seems to stem from being pretty ignorant about a lot of the mechanics in the game, as well as core D&D rules.
The FAQ inscrutable horse linked is good, but I'm also wondering what you want your party to be like.

Earlier you posted that you want a bunch of dual-classed spellcasters, but also didn't enjoy the constant micromanagement, which casters require more than other classes. So I'm wondering if you do want to micro, just not a party of six, and, yeah, basically just what playstyle you want to go for.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Skwirl posted:

He's playing IWD which has a much lower level cap than BG2. I'm not sure he'd ever get his fighter levels back if he waited until 13 to dual class.
You're right; he wouldn't, at least not before expansion content. I was talking more about Kensai/Mages in general. In IWD, I just wouldn't bother with them and just roll a Fighter/Illusionist or Berserker/Mage, depending on what kind of spells vs stabbing balance I'd want.
Actually, as strong as they are when fully realized, I personally wouldn't play a Kensai/Mage ever again. You really want those 13 levels to get something out of it that a Berserker/Mage doesn't also offer when you need it while also being selectively immune to everything. And gently caress 13 levels of downtime.

no thanks posted:

If you're hell-bent on a 4 man party with one of them being a bard, I'd suggest something like this:

Fighter/Paladin/Ranger or something
Multiclass Fighter/Cleric
Thief dualled to mage at around level 4
Bard

Covers all the bases and ensure you won't have too hard a time (relatively speaking, IWD can be tough first time round).
I'd recommend something along those lines as well. A Fighter/Druid instead of /Cleric is an option, too. All those summons work well with Bard songs.

You can squeeze in at least one more Thief level in a small party like that, by the way. I took mine to level 6 and the downtime lasted for a few areas that didn't really require Thief abilities anyway.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 11, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Washout posted:

My first play through bg2 was as a kensai/mage, and then I started over and ran a kensai through BG1.

Just saying that some people love them as much as you hate them.

Mine is already the most powerful party member at level 3 with dual long swords.
I don't know why you think I hate Kensai/Mages; I finished the trilogy with one, I can't have been that disgusted by it.
It's just that, ultimately, while a Kensai 13/Mage 14+ is amazing, and a straight Kensai is pretty okay even at low levels and only gets stronger, I wouldn't want to go through all that time as an underleveled Mage again.

Arivia posted:

At least in BG2, it's viable. There are good melee quarterstaffs (the staff of the ram, the staff of striking), and a fighter/mage with quarterstaff specialization is a HUGE asset against golems with the staff you can buy in Ust'Natha.
Yeah, Quarterstaves are perfectly fine. There's also a +4 one you can just buy in Chapter 2, which means you'll basically never have to worry about immunities. I don't think there are any that do elemental damage, which can be slightly annoying against Mages, but that's not a big deal for a Fighter/Mage who can contribute with Breach and stuff.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Well, excuse me for not cheesing the game. :smuggo:

Apart from playing a Fighter/Mage combination.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Cleric/Mages in a full party of six being not as good as they could theoretically be is just kind of a fact of life in the IE games, I think. They can pull off some really slick spell combos, but they don't unlock them quite fast enough when XP are split six ways.

As for party composition, I'm not sure because I don't remember the scroll situation in IWD. I could see myself taking your party but going down to one Fighter/Mage, dual with either kit or multi, kicking out the Cleric/Mage, and filling the two open slots with an Avenger and Archer.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 13, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Two-handed swords are pretty popular with the NPCs, though.

I'd just go with Flails. They're probably the best weapon proficiency to have in BG2+ToB, and nothing in BG1 is that special anyway.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I don't remember any, just lots of things with 50% or higher damage resistances. It's been years since I last actually finished ToB, though.

zedprime posted:

You start falling into weird, dark, holes when you start talking about the best weapon that lead to weird stuff about the odds of an instant kill while wielding the vorpal sword during a gww (strangely good) or tedious dances involving a thief with UAI, Staff of the Magi, and Staff of the Ram.

I find it best to just listen to Bill Gates' famous quote "you'll never need any more than Celestial Fury and Crom Faeyr"
Actually, Greater Whirlwind is inferior to Critical Strike + Improved Haste even with the Vorpal Sword; I have a spreadsheet here that clearly proves this and

For what it's worth, I suggested Flails not just because I think the Flail of Ages is the best weapon in the game (it totally is, though), but also because Berserkers can reach Grand Mastery, so staying in one proficiency is worthwhile. And the combination of Flail of Ages and Defender of Easthaven can last a character through most of the game, although the Defender is expensive. Also, no companion uses Flails by default.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, level 3 should be fine but level 2 means half your party can go down in a round of arrow fire from bandits if you're unlucky.

Also, go straight for the bandit camp, don't explore the forest areas around it. There are Black Talon Elites that can spawn there and they can straight up one-shot a level 2 character.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Washout posted:

Update on my all mage party, my 3 mages have finally all hit level 2, this is hard as poo poo. You don't get to level quickly like you would as a solo mage, but you still have all the drawbacks. Still not able to do the rebalanced nashkel mines or fight things like cave bears and winter wolves, they wreck me. Maybe once they all hit level 3 I can not be so afraid of every little ogre or whatever that I come across.
Do you roll for hit points or just have it set to give you the maximum at level up?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'm almost disappointed to see you didn't go for total masochism, although that's probably the only sane way of doing this.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I would say keep him if you've avoided any spoilers about how exactly he's involved in the main plot.

If you know his story already, eh.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Anomen or Jaheira (or both) would be my suggestion. They both can help a lot with some of the more annoying enemies in the game and help you cover a lot of bases just by themselves.

I'd recommend keeping the last slot sort of open as kind of a revolving door deal if you want to keep some NPCs around for their personal quests or just to try different people out. That's mainly because I don't have a second recommendation, though, your party's solid already.

fong posted:

Really though, that fight is so broken. The engine is nowhere near capable of doing what they wanted in that encounter, so that's basically the only way to do it.
You can also stack electricity protection until getting struck by lightning heals you, or use the art of Web spam while standing back for the whole fight. Probably a bunch of other things I never tried, except of course playing this thing by the rules.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
This is a very specific question, but has anyone played IWD with a party of six and included a thief->whatever dual-class character?
I want to try a Swashbuckler dualed to Fighter and was wondering when would be a good point to dual out, especially with regards to traps.

Washout posted:

Mage/Cleric is really weak in IWDEE, I'd go illusionist/fighter or Archer over that. It was easily the weakest least contributing party member on my last run through. The ranger/cleric had duplicates of all his cleric spells and the sorc has so many casts per day of your important spells that he just usually has nothing to do.
Yeah, I think you really want to go below six party members if you include a Cleric/Mage, else the character just won't level fast enough.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Taliesyn posted:

As long as you have both a straight (or dual) class healer and a straight (or dual) class mage as well, a cleric mage makes a perfectly viable back-up. Instead of using them for your die-per-level attacks or primary heals, use them for save-or-die effects, buffs, debuffs, things like that. The sheer amount of spells they can toss around is amazing, and having access to both cleric and mage HLAs is really nice.
Well, I don't think a Cleric/Mage is terrible even in a full party, but I'd rather have a single-classed caster that unlocks higher spell levels faster than just more spells.
Of course, at some point, when you reach really high levels, multi-classed characters are just better than single-classed ones, but you don't really get there in regular IWD.

Washout posted:

I did this with imoen in BG1 and dualed her at like level 5 to mage. Just maxed out find traps and open locks.
My main problem is that IWD is linear and I don't want to dual out only to stumble into a heavily trapped part of the game next. I remember it being pretty light on traps, all things considered, but I also know there's at least one area where you really want high Find/Disarm Traps. And I don't remember how valuable lockpicking is in IWD at all.
Guess I'll just jump in, though, because I also definitely don't want to read through a FAQ just to find out when to dual-class one out of six characters.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Washout posted:

I made a swashbuckler and dualed him to fighter at 5 in my current party. He's only got 100 open locks and 75 find traps, but I'm sure that's good enough for the whole game. If you are paranoid about it then go to level 6 swashbuckler before dualing, or take a thief instead, or a multi class thief like an illusionist/thief or horc fighter/thief, those are both extremely powerful.

If you want it to be easy to dual class then just play on the hardest difficulity, XP just falls from the sky, I was level 3/4 before I even left kuldahar.
I went to check it out and saw that EE has options that disable bonus enemy damage and XP gain for higher difficulty levels, so you only get the additional spawns. That sounds pretty cool and should still make the characters level faster. So, yeah, I'll go with that, thanks.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

kujeger posted:

is there any reason to think it will be good? the new stuff in the bg:ees games are not exactly very promising
Well, the new EE content was decently designed, mechanically, and maybe they hired some writers? I don't really have incredibly high hopes either, though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Every NPC gets infinitely worse as soon as you reach romance content. I don't know what it is about romances in Baldur's Gate, but it's best to just not touch the poo poo, really. Of course that didn't stop me from romancing Neera out of morbid curiosity.

Anyway, I finally started IWD:EE and, although playing on Insane gets tedious at times, it's fun. I didn't really consider how slowly two multi-classed Fighters would level early on and what that would mean when they're the party's only tanks, but that's nothing Sleep can't handle.
Also, I hadn't seen the option for conning a gem out of a random Easthaven townsperson that dwarves get before, that was pretty funny.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I've been playing this game with mods for so long that I've kind of grown accustomed to just making sure the game is balanced myself by Shadowkeepering experience away and modding some of the more insane stuff mods add. So if Dragonspear gives you to many XP I'll do just that. Not that it wouldn't be questionable from a design standpoint, but I wouldn't really be bothered by it.

In general, I'm getting a bit more enthusiastic about this than I was before. Beamdog's stuff always offered good encounter design and quests that had a good length for what they are. The new areas they made have also consistently gotten better, and some of the previewed stuff for the interquel (lol) is really pretty.
Beamdog writing has always been poo poo, but Avellone's help should have propelled it to mediocrity at least. Maybe there'll even be some good bits, who knows?

So now I just hope they have some money left for decent voice actors.

fong posted:

It looks like Goblins will become a playable race now, too? Either that or they're just introducing the one NPC who is a goblin.
Seems like she's using the regular goblin sprite (not even the shaman sprite from IWD2 for some reason), so I think it's just that one NPC.

Also, bears didn't become a playable race when they made Wilson either, unfortunately.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
None that I'm aware of.

Adding a new race that's selectable at character creation would probably be a pretty big hurdle, and then there'd be a lot of sprite work to do after that.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Washout posted:

Well I'd think you would just reuse existing monster sprites and not add any of the really insane stuff. Ah well my dreams of playing an Ogre or Pixie are crushed.
Well, you can already do something like that by just making a race in Near Infinity or using an existing one and assigning the race and animation with Shadowkeeper.

The main problem is that equipment won't be displayed properly in pretty much all cases. That's where the extra work would come in, anyone dedicated to a mod like that would need to go over the existing sprites and alter them to have versions for all armor and weapon types. Also, an inventory paperdoll, clearly the most important part.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Don't play a single-classed Thief, poo poo is terrible. Early on you won't notice it as much, but the class just doesn't get enough out of level-ups.
Multi- or dual-classed Thieves are decent and having one is nearly mandatory when you don't know the game, but don't go for single-classed. For a first time playthrough, you should probably avoid dual-classing as well and just stick to multi-classing.

Also, the first NPC that joins you is a Thief.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Early in the game you'll want to keep several backup weapons for your characters around, because they can break due to plot reasons. This only applies to iron weapons, so clubs and slings and stuff are safe.

Also, I think some of the advice here is getting a bit extreme. Barbarians and non-Inquisitor Paladins are good and decent picks for a new player as well. I think Suspicious said it best, just go Fighter/Something (unless you just go with a warrior class of some kind). Fighter/Thief, for example, will be almost as good at the Thief's class abilities as a single-classed one while getting a lot of survivability and dependable damage output out of multi-classing.

Actually, I'll go the opposite way and just write down what classes and kits I would say new players should give a wide berth:
Sorcerer: Good class, but only learns a very limited number of spells, so you need to have some idea of what spells are good.
Monk: Hard to get off the ground. Only take this if you really want to be Bruce Lee, but be prepared to look like a concussed Steven Seagal for a long time then.
Kensai: Can be okay in BG1 but is always a bit worse than just taking a regular Fighter, Paladin or Ranger. Also requires consumables to shore up its weaknesses, which isn't great for new players.
Beastmaster, Wizard Slayer, single-classed Thieves of any kind: Just bad.

Did the Shapeshifter get fixed in EE? If not, that's also not worth it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I don't disagree, Berserkers and Inquisitors are great, but that doesn't turn other kits into unplayable trash. It's really just outright recommending people don't play Barbarians or non-Inquisitor Paladins that's going a bit far.

Especially since those offer something Berserkers and Inquisitors don't. Barbarians can get some nice resistance-stacking going later on, and Inquisitors are very different from their base class.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I made my own "Shapeshifter fix" here, but I don't remember if it's for EE or vanilla.

And anyway you're wrong, shapeshifters absolutely wreck poo poo in BG1

*e - should add a .txt for the "mod", it just replaces the claw "items" for shifting. Lesser werewolf hands have a base 1d6+1 damage and are +2 enchanted. Greater werewolf hands do 2d6+2 damage and are +4 weapons.
Ah yeah, I kind of always assume a BG1 character gets ported to BG2, where Shapeshifters have a lot of issues. I can see even unmodded Shapeshifters being really good in BG1.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Blowdryer posted:

Will I make it through just fine if I just naturally go through everything instead of trying to gather my party immediately? I was planning on going to the Inn and seeing what's up there and eventually down to Nashkel before Xzar and Montaron leave the party.
In addition to what Washout said:
1. NPC level is set when you first enter their area and goes up to 6. How much level 6 means kind of depends since different classes level at different speeds, but if you want someone who joins later on in your group it's something you might want to consider to avoid getting an underleveled companion.
2. In case you want Kivan in your party: He wants to get to the bandit camp badly and puts you on a timer when he joins. If you don't get to the camp within a couple of days - I think it's like 5, so not a lot of time at all - he fucks off.

Anyway, I just finished IWD:EE and all I want to say is that whoever designed IWD's maps had clearly never played an Infinity Engine game. At all. Kuldahar and some later areas make the pathfinding poo poo itself pretty much as soon as you tell your party to take more than five steps forward. I'd probably have quit playing early on without Ctrl + J.
I sort of remembered that from earlier playthroughs, but I had forgotten just how bad it was.

Still, it was fun. Highlight of the game was my dwarf conning a random Easthaven resident out of a low-value gem to buy armor during the tutorial by telling her that he was totally going to explore ancient dwarven ruins and reclaim tons of buried riches, only to, many weeks later, end up doing that and paying her 500 gold as a return of investment after freeing her from the cyclopes that had overrun Easthaven while the party was busy clearing said ruins.

Btw, has anyone ever not killed Marketh (the thief in Lower Dorn's Deep that's really into himself, slavery and domestic violence)?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

docbeard posted:

Isn't he the one they brought back in Icewind Dale 2 with some elaborate and bizarre backstory about how IWD 1 Marketh was an evil clone or some drat thing?
Nah, that's Malavon, the dark elf. Who is also the brother of Ginafae, Marketh's wife, who is prone to run into doorknobs and fall down stairs and brought back in IWD2 as a half-spider. I can kind of see how someone who hasn't just played the game could confuse two protagonists of the Dorn's Deep Soap Opera, though. :v:

Also, IWD2's story is a total clusterfuck.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
It's a complete mess of rehashed stuff from the first game and inconsequential side stories. And a ton of bizarre stuff like Malavon the good guy drow wizard telling you that Malavon the bad guy drow wizard from the first game was his evil clone that he made for some reason. Or solving a time loop that happened because magic.

Mehrunes posted:

NPC level isn't set until you recruit them. Until then the game loads a template near your level or exp total (not sure which) whenever you enter their area. This is even true for Imoen.
Wait, is that true for all versions? I remember recruiting a level 1 or 2 Minsc during my last game when my party was definitely above level 4. Was that just a bug?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Just the game failing to load the correct Minsc, I guess. I tested it on Xzar and Montaron just to see if my game was bugged in general and, no, it's loading the appropriate files whenever I enter the area like you said. Kind of weird I never realized how this works in over a decade of playing these games, but I usually have a set team in mind and recruit party members at the earliest opportunity.

Bort Bortles posted:

Oh, yeah, forgot about the Malavon thing and the timeloop thing. I couldnt care less about Malavon but the timeloop was pretty tedious. Overall I have rose-colored glasses about the game because the overall gameplay is so great to me: enemy Mages arent super OP like they are in BG2, the general quests are all pretty straightforward with some deeper stuff thrown in here or there, all the encounters are pretty well designed, the 2.75 ruleset was neat (though I wish it was just 3.0).
Yeah, mechanically and gameplay-wise IWD2 is a good game, but I could never get into the story at all.

I actually started a playthrough with an all-caster party just now, but, after playing the Enhanced Editions and Pillars of Eternity, going back to a game without quality of life things like area looting is hard.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, buffed up summons would be one thing for this party. I'm also kind of curious if I can reach a point where I put out enough AoE bombardment that I can use it to not just soften up but outright kill a lot of enemies.

Time will tell I guess, it's not really something I planned. I just noticed during character creation that a Priest of Mask gets good tanking spells (like Mirror Image) in addition to the general Cleric buffs and decided to replace a warrior type with one. And then it kind of snowballed from there and I ended up with a party of two Clerics, a Bard, a Druid, an Enchanter and a Sorcerer.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'd just use EEKeeper.

Altering the game would involve changing a 2DA file (basically a rules table in this case) to allow characters to put proficiency points into additional/different weapon classes. Using NearInfinity, this isn't hard and would take like 2 or 3 minutes.

But after that...well, every single weapon has individually set flags to make it unusable by certain classes. So you'd need to uncheck every "unusable by" box you want gone for every weapon you want changed.

If you only do that for a few weapons (like just a few crossbows) that's still a sane amount of effort going into this, but if you'd want to do it for more, or even all weapons... :suicide:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
If it's a multi-class, there's not that much of a reason to go Fighter/Cleric either, though. The warrior side levels faster, but in return you lose out on free dual-wielding and some other things Rangers get. The biggest benefit the R/C misses out on is being a dwarf, really.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Comstar posted:

Godsdammit. Least I knew that before I got further than the 1st town.

What other changes are there I should probably know about before starting *again*?
Everything Washout suggested is good (although I wouldn't really recommend Kensai/Anything for BG1 unless you're definitely going to continue playing the character in BG2), and like fong said even a single-class Cleric is okay, but you don't have to start again.

The Ranger/Cleric lost its main draw, but it is still a good class combination, like all warrior/caster builds. (Also, you weren't going to reach the really good Druid spells, mainly Ironskins, in BG1 anyway, so not much of value was lost here.)

Btw:

Washout posted:

archer/mage
Do you mean Archer/Cleric? Because Archers can't raise their Sling proficiency above 2, sadly.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Rangers could always dual, although I'm not sure what the stat requirements were/are in their case. I'm pretty sure Stalkers couldn't, but in the EEs, every Ranger kit can dual.

Stalker/Cleric seems like it could be legit, actually.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Maybe gnomes can do ranger/thief?
Gnomes can't even be Rangers. For some reason, the class is off limits to most races.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Worth noting that BG and BG2 give Bards pretty bad spell progressions. Capping at spell level 6 means no Simulacrum, for example.

IWD unfucks their progression, but you don't reach the high levels where it really matters in the regular game.

Tzarnal posted:

They don't on the whole. Certainly not the massive trigger at the start of combat or loading the map.
They do get contingencies, spell triggers and often some kind of magic tattoo thing that's basically another contingency/spell trigger on top of what they have already. The big difference is that this stuff triggers when the fight starts, SCS often prebuffs mages when the area loads or something like that. So you can backstab mages before their protections go off in vanilla but often can't with SCS installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
RNG is not a big problem if you know the games and apply the right buffs or use the right summons. If you don't know exactly how to deal with Rakshasa or Demons, or what tricks some levels of Watcher's Keep are going to throw at you, things can be tough and then luck can decide a battle.

Apart from that I can think of only a few examples where RNG plays a big role, but they mostly involve going up against too many Beholders for summons to handle, without a Berserker or the Shield of Balduran. Or making the big mistake of installing the SCS component that gives Beholders telekinesis so they can take even the last piece of equipment that protects from their bullshit away. I still want to know who thought that Beholders are an enemy type that can, and in fact should, be spammed.

Fighting vampires before you're ready for them can also come down to luck, but those fights are generally avoidable.

Edit: On that note, I can only recommend adding Korgan to the party for a first BG2 playthrough. Fighting wizards you'll figure out at some point, so an Inquisitor isn't all that needed, really. But the game will never stop throwing new weird enemies with gotcha-you're-dead abilities at you, and Berserkers like Korgan just shrug all of them off.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 26, 2015