Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
New to the forums and I hop in and see that we're riffing on cringey NPC mods... Off to a good start.

I remember playing the... Saerlith? Mod in 10~ years ago and thinking "drat this is terrible"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Veib posted:

No I mean that in the BG games you can make an elf fighter/mage or an elf fighter/thief, but not an elf fighter/cleric or a ranger/cleric, even though all those single classes are available to them. Why is that

If I recall -

Elvish clerics exist, you just can't be them as a character. They would not be adventurers.

mitochondritom posted:

... the writer of Pallegina (Josh Sawyer) commenting on "romancing" her.

Being bros with her was the #1 reason I ended up siding with the VTC my first character. I also felt bad because I kinda got her banished at the end of PoE1... She was surprisingly mad about that.

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 18, 2021

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I think that's why the easy ini "fix" is left there - it IS technically a bug but players have gotten used to it over the decades (Jesus Christ decadeS) and isn't THAT op in a game with Fighter/Mages

It's just fun too

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

rope kid posted:

All of the IWD druid spells were because I leafed through Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities looking at spells saying, "Sick. Dope as hell. Yes."

That's a great way to do it! 2E had a lot of great supplements (and not so great)

I've loved every single game you've worked on, you're amazing.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
It feels weird that with Keldorn you can be total LG bros with him but at the same time a LG character would release him from your service ASAP so he can go back to his family.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Swerving 180 degrees here from LG to CE, does anyone have recommendations for an evil playthrough Main Character? I'm wrapping up a Fighter/Cleric Dwarf playthrough on the Switch (works surprisingly well) but am weighing starting my first EE Evil playthrough soon with a boatload of mods on PC as Ao intended.

My initial thoughts:
-A Cleric/Mage for boatloads of options in combat + no Aerie to compete with me
-Blackguard since I've never even played a regular Paladin & I hear they get an Anti-Caromsyr in Watcher's Keep which is extra motivation to do it
-Dark Moon monk since I've never played a monk either and they're a special "evil" kit
-Straight up Sorcerer since I haven't played one in 10+ years

Feelings on these classes? Experience with your own Evil runs?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Chairchucker posted:

Fighter/Thief IMO. There aren't many non good thieves.

Shoulda mentioned - Hexxat will be EEkeeper'd into a fighter/thief for my run, will probably use Imoen on and off as well.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Skwirl posted:

Small barbarian for shorty saves, human leather armor and stacking hardiness/resist magic when you hit high level abilities to be basically immortal. Dual wield Flail of Ages in the main hand and Defender of Easthaven in the off

Nah, too similar to my Dwarf F/C!

Terrible Opinions posted:

You can come back a few days later, and he'll ask to rejoin after working out stuff with him family.

Whaaaaaat really?!? 20 fuckin' years later and I didn't know that.

P.S. thanks to Lobster and SpacePope for the ideas. Might just settle on C/M because I found some good art to use as a portrait (there are worse reasons right)

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

SpacePope posted:

If you want to play with a boatload of mods, you could try one of the classes from this mod. Maybe the sorcerer kit? Feels similar to a basic sorcerer, but with different spells and some weird poo poo thrown in for fun.

I've been doing a run with the shadow adept mage kit and I haven't encountered any game-breaking bugs yet. A couple spells didn't work exactly like I expected, but I'm nearing the end of BG1 and it's been a lot of fun.

So I'm rolling up my Cleric/Mage now and there's a special multi-class "Nightbringer"....

My original 13-year-old BG playing self would've loved that poo poo. And with how many times I've played these games I'm STRONGLY tempted to try it out but for a whole trilogy run.... I guess I can just EEkeeper myself if it sucks? I'll report my findings here

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Shadow Magic initial review -

The magic looks awesome, the modder did a fantastic job with the animations and colors. Basically everything is some mix of purple/black and it looks spooky. The spells themselves so far seem to be mostly "Mage spells but shadowyyy~~~", got your sleep, got your magic missile, got your mage armor. They are some differences though:

1. The magic is, by default, weaker than standard arcane magic.
2. Shadow spells have some interesting utility to them - there's a spell that is a "whip" that drags enemies towards you but does no damage.. unless they're disabled in some way, leading to:
3. Many of the spells either inflict some sort of disability (mental or physical), and many spells have some extra interaction if the target has a disability on them, shadow or otherwise. I imagine once I'm not level 2 this will lead to some interesting tactics on how to maximize my spells

Overall this seems like a very cool single-class experience, either for a sorc or mage (there's a rogue and monk kit available as well), though I'm not sure it mixes with Cleric very well? I'll give it a few more levels but I might just switch to regular C/M in a few levels.

edit: P.S. if you do install it, make sure you install the encounter/NPC part of the pack as it seems there are several items/quests associated with the subclasses. I think also they're a merchant for spell scrolls which I desperately miss...

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 4, 2021

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Ramc posted:

my BG1 run is up to the thieves maze time to put that off for another day then.

I've never done the Siege of Dragonspear stuff but I might buy it to give it a look. That's my ted talk

Dragonspear is a very solid "Yeah this is pretty okay"

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Zaggitz posted:

I'll probably try Icewind Dale after a decent break post BG2. How's that one hold up?

I love Durlag's, am fine with the Werewolf Island, but man that Demon fight...

IWD is great if you like the dungeon crawling aspects of BG. There's really good level/encounter design that's a lot of fun, and it lets you play around with weird classes because you make your whole party rather than recruit NPCs (I'm a huge proponent of 4 person parties). The main story is also surprisingly serviceable.

Ramc posted:

My one SoD fret so far is that my cleric options are either Viconia (cool, but i will forever hover in the danger zone of 'too popular, may leave) and some gnome clr/thf who sounds annoying.

Glint definitely grew on me during my playthrough with him, but his greatest sin is that he has to be in a series where he has to compete with Jan loving Jansen as "quirky gnome guy" and that's a fight no one wants to pick. I also appreciate that as a Cleric/Thief he completely opens up your roster to whoever you want, all your Healing/Thief needs are taken care of.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I've only finished IWD once - but it was with a team of 4 not far from what you're thinking

-Human Undead Hunter
-Gnome Thief/Illu
-Elf Druid
-Half Elf Fighter/Cleric

The beginning is a BIT tough with 4 people but you pretty quickly get into a good groove. Everyone felt very useful and while I did miss some of the high level arcane stuff, you basically never have a proper wizard spell-stripping fight in IWD. I've heard very good things about Bards in IWD but I've never used one.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Do Dorn's quest in BGEE because a guy at the end is wearing elven chainmail! Then you kill him and take his stuff

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Cythereal posted:

Looking at a wiki about PFKM, and... really, devs? Did you have to make every gay option for a female PC a bi woman who's into poly and you're kinda forced into it too if you want to romance a woman?

Or get the DLC, where you have to romance an evil lady first in order to have a chance with her good sister. Don't forget that great option

I do really like them - Kalikke/Kanerah - though

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Oh nooooo my mods

I really hope I have autoupdate turned off...

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Phew, got to my steam before the update finished and stuck with the 2.5 branch. I have sooooo many mods installed, it definitely would've broken it. Now I need to actually finish this C/M run...

P.S. anyone got a list of the new portraits + voice sets?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I'll agree with Skwirl then if you are thinking evil - Fighter/Cleric, preferably dwarf though anything will work.

You have cleric spells to keep things a bit interesting rather than just clicking on something until it dies. However, you're still a tough bastard in heavy armor and your weapon selection, while limited, is still many of the best items in the game. Then you get the added bonus of all the stat tomes in BG1 being useful for you too

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Mans posted:

How likely is this patch to break any mods?

Depends on how many you got and what they do - but unless they're tiny or small in number, just assume it will gently caress everything up.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

bike tory posted:

Are you really even playing Baldur's Gate if your ranged characters' inventory isn't totally full of stacks of +1/2/3/acid/fire/ice/biting etc ammo, while their quiver is full of normal unenchanted ammo?

I've never felt so attacked by a forum post before

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Jay Rust posted:

The only potions I truly hate are the elemental resistance ones, like when am I supposed to use these things

I think I have only ever used them for dragons

Jay Rust posted:

So how many in-game weeks do you guys spend in the bg2 tutorial dungeon

Does anyone not just load down Jaheira with all healing spells?

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 5, 2021

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Keep in mind some of the best weapons in the game (arguably the best) are ones that clerics can use, unless you're just going for RP with your weapon choices

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Does it matter who I bring in my party in BG1? I know there's a canon party, but if I replace them with, say, the cool pirate rogue lady that I heard about somewhere (I think she's at a lighthouse?) will she come to the second game? Or do you just always get the canon people at the start of BG2?

Yep, you always start BG2 with the "canon" party who pretend like they were always there. You can take whoever you want with you but at least get to know Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc & Dyanhier in BG1 so you're not flabbergasted.

Siege of Dragonspear DOES pay attention to who you ended BG1 with but no choices carry over, so when you find the characters to recruit them in SoD you can just say you traveled with them before and they'll believe you, even if you didn't.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

And also: for a mage fighter multi class, are you supposed to use less people in your party? Last time I played it the main character just leveled so insanely slow it was brutal. I think I got through the first act though?

Using less party members does get you more XP, yes. But you can typically hit the XP cap even with a full party. Multi characters do level slower at first but I actually like it later on as you level up more "often" due to the classes leveling up at different XP values. The 'Level 1' hill is a slog though.

For classes - there's very few bad choices. Monk is one of them for a new player.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Jack B Nimble posted:

The BG difficulty curve gets so much sweeter once you gain just a few levels, now everyone is level 3 or 4 and I'm comfortably face tanking everything with my usual lack of grace.

Yeah once you get past those plodding first few levels the game starts humming. For me level 1 to 2 especially is always a DRAG

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Jack B Nimble posted:

How does multi class and an XP cap work?

The cap is your total xp, all your classes added together. Because of how the xp curve works this is pretty great for multi characters since they are only like a level or two below max they would've been as a single-class.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Vargatron posted:

I have started a playthrough as a Ranger/Cleric and it's bonkers.

Just wait til you get Iron Skins my friend. Then poo poo starts popping. Even though it is technically cheating that they get druid spells at higher levels it doesn't feel that way, since you're still not F/M strong.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Cleric, best class.

BG is sadly the only game where this isn't true, lol. Multi-class though and you've got a stew going.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Schwarzwald posted:

As far as once popular character tropes go, I always appreciated Valygar for being a "character who sits in the corner and broods" yet had a lot of character interactions which yanked him out of it. He has some especially good lines with Mazzy, iirc.

I remember not caring for Valygar at all until my... 3rd or 4th playthrough maybe when I finally paired him with Mazzy for much of the game, then I started to really appreciate him. Mazzy is awesome all the time though.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Seen on reddit

hahahahaha

the perspective and 'trample' are what really get me

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I've just completed a BGI + SoD run with a randomizer - it was very neat seeing things pop up randomly. Oh hell, Robes of the Evil Archmage at level 2! So nice of you to join us. Though also made me go straight to Neshkel to make the weapons stop breaking so much since I couldn't find my usual repertoire of +1 weapons to start with... Also it moved some of the +1 Tomes around which gave me a heck of a time trying to find them all. I haven't done SoD enough to see if it mixed up where items were.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Just got out of the Underdark in my mod-heavy playthrough on PC after finishing up a vanilla trilogy run on the switch last year - hot drat I forgot how bad the pathfinding can be in this game. The number of times the party just TURNS AROUND and goes a completely random way or gets stuck in geometry or even other is just... Switch controls + a Kingmaker/couple Pillars run throughs since my last BGT spoiled the crap out of me.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
First full trilogy Evil playthrough in the bag, as a modded Cleric/Ranger since I'd never played one before.

BG1 is a biiiiit too meandering for an X+++ replay, and level 1/2 are a slog. Durlag's is still amazing though, but I am tired of doing the puzzles so many times.
Siege of Dragonspear is a solid B, B+. Caelar is interesting enough, M'khiin is the real star of the show though.
BG2 is still amazing, 12/10.
Throne is pretty meh, but I am genuinely surprised by something I did on a lark - the Imoen romance is... actually good? Even great in Throne? I was shocked. Melyssan is a crappy villain, the last fight is cool though. Everything about wrapping up character arcs is good, the other bits of the game are whatever.

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 1, 2021

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Mezzanon posted:

I just got a PC for the first time in like a decade, so of course I picked up all the infinity engine games on steam as a treat to myself.

Here's my question though, how do I install mods on the steam versions of these games? (NPC stronghold, unfinished business, etc)

If anyone can walk me through it like I'm a big fuckin idiot (either in thread or via PM)I'd appreciate it

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/74335/project-infinity-mod-manager-for-baldurs-gate-icewind-dale-planescape-torment-and-eet

Basically just run that program and it will install mods for you, it will take a while and with a new~ish patch things might be broken, so don't install too much.

Mods for BG aren't easy like Skyrim but they're also not ridiculously complicated. Follow directions and you'll be alright. One big note - if you're going to install EET (puts all of the BG games into BG2, making it one continuous adventure) you need a special unpacker for Siege of Dragonspear. Check out the Beamdog modding boards I just linked, there's an explanation/tool there to fix it.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Mans posted:

One day they'll make a pathfinder that doesn't make bag of tricks mandatory.

Pathfinder is just an annoying, fiddly, bad system.

*looks uneasily at 2E D&D*

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Empty Sandwich posted:

I reiterate that if anyone thinks he or she enjoys slumming around in the Baldur's Gate games then he or she needs must play a live tabletop game in order to see what an actual enjoyable game is.

I have played thousands and thousands of hours of a dozen tabletop RPG systems and BG2 is one of the best games ever made by mere human hands

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm doing too good a job making fun of the other guy

drat you

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 5, 2021

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Everything I read from or about Beamdog just makes me think of them as the "Everything That Can Go Wrong For Us, Will"-The Company. How on earth do they even stay open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Mr. Lobe posted:

To be fair, what kind of fool goes to a place called werewolf Island expecting a good time?

The furries