Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm kind of annoyed at the AI scripts to be honest, they all seem to be either not working, or working too well. Give Aerie the Cleric Healer script? She doesn't do anything half the time. Give Hexxat the Thief Aggressive script? Can't detect traps for poo poo because she tries to re-stealth every round due to said script.

Scripts are generally terrible in combat, even the scripts added from mods (from SCS? I forget) are really useful only for buffing and healing outside combat. The only ones I usually use are attack nearest target for warrior types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

JustJeff88 posted:

You take that back, you bastard.

I love Jan as a character and a personality, but he's not your primary mage type. He's my favourite thief, because 2nd edition games in general all but require one, and he's a very good secondary arcane caster with the advantage that thief and illusionist have brilliant synergy. He complements Edwin or a sorcerer PC very well, but he's not really "main mage" to me. I wouldn't want to play BG2 without him, I love him that much, but he's not a #1 robe-wearing twiddly-fingers to me.

Someone above said something about cleric/fighter being a good multi/dual class, and I don't agree so much. I would if not for idiotic 2nd-edition rules, but even though I like Anomen (as a character, as a personality he's a nob) it's because he basically is a cleric with a fighter background. I don't like Yeslick in BG1 because being a fighter too doesn't add that much and slows down his exp progression by 50%. Fighter/clerics still cannot use all weapons (my major sticking point) and they have the same armour restrictions. They do get more HP and better to-hit than clerics, but it's not as dramatic as with a rogue or wizard. I think that Anomen works because he gets just about to the point of major diminishing returns, then he's a single-class cleric with cleric progression forever. In the case of Yeslick, I feel that it just waters him down. The fact that BG1 is low- to early-mid-level D&D versus BG2's way-up-to loving-high-level gameplay doesn't help, granted.

Speaking purely mechanically, I really enjoy how Jaheira, Anomen and Jan play in BG2 and I have a hard time imagining the game without them from a pure gameplay (not necessarily story) perspective. Mind you, I haven't played through the game numerous times like many here have. I have the opposite problem with Keldorn because I like him as a personality, love him in fact, but he's rather broken.

Jan

Xan

Xan is an underpowered mopey and emo BG1 enchanter that still manages to be somewhat charming