Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The OP doesn't have any of the various save editors. Here's a handy list of them. Generally speaking you should use Shadowkeeper for BG2/BGT/Tutu installs and EE keeper for BG:EE and BG2:EE. The rest of the save editors are pretty self explanatory.

Edit: Links are now in OP.

sweet geek swag fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is the BG2 Tweakpack currently working with BG2EE? Because gently caress rolling for HP.

Yes, the BG2 Tweakpack is compatible with BG2EE. Some of the EE features might be a little buggy though.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

There were plenty of ways to deal with mages in BG2. With the right prep/equipment all but a handful of mage battles become trivial. Also having a paladin makes mages easy to kill, and having an inquisitor makes mages a joke.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I once did a BIG World install where I told it to install standard. It installed the Expert pack instead. It was painful. Tactics really is bullshit. It's basically designed to defeat players who know how to play the game. If you want a challenge after you've mastered Baldur's Gate that's great. Otherwise you shouldn't bother.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Don't completely neglect your physical stats though. The shapeshifter class is really powerful right after it gets a new form, but those forms don't scale up with level. There will be extended periods when you are more effective as a caster than as a werewolf. What I'm saying is don't take your physical stats into the negatives.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Iron Rose posted:

...why would you use the BG2 fixpack in BG1EE?

Because BG1EE is in the BG2 engine. The fixpack will only install stuff appropriate to the install you are using.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Well that's the thing. Having incredibly insane gear is the default assumption by time you have HLAs so I'm not sure why HLA Shapeshifting would ever be relevant.

It an option that you have for roleplaying reasons. It's never going to be the best option, but hey, if that's what floats your boat knock yourself out.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yes.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Rascyc posted:

I leave the Nashkel mines through the back door and the fight with those 4 assassins is no where in sight. What a let down. Did they take this out of enhanced edition?

It's definitely there since I did it three days ago.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I've hit this button three hundred times already, but maybe the next time I'll get a 90!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Suspicious posted:

That's weird. Mind flayers are supposed to see through invisibility. Or maybe that was Tactics, not SCS.

You can't target directed spells on invisible people, even if you can see them. The Mind flayers simple ignore invisibility for detection purposes, unlike spells like true seeing and invisibility purge which dispel it. A mind flayer could attack such a person, but couldn't target them with a "teleport to player" ability.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Rirse posted:

I'm wondering, has Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition got the patch that suppose to update the UI to the BG2:EE look yet?

Yes, it had that patch before BG2:EE even came out. Like a week before, but before none the less.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yep, Beamdog took over patching the Steam version, so it tends to get updated a lot faster now.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

It was mostly bug fixes. No major content changes. If you have any mods I'd re-install them.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Technically, if you really want to cheese things you should make the archer an elf with 19 dex. With the dex tome you get 20 dex. However you will probably loose that extra point of dex in Hell in BG2.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sword Coast Strategies has a component that allows you to split up the NPC pairs. You still have to complete their quests or they'll go away for ever, {this is mostly an issue for Jaheira and Khalid, and probably Xzar and Montaron) but once you can safely kick them out of your party just speak to the one you want and you get an option for only them to join you. SCS also has a component that allows you to send NPC's to a particular inn. Even if you don't want to install the AI tweaks, there's a lot of good stuff in SCS.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I'm surprised Jan has so many fans honestly. The dude is just nonstop monkey cheese ~so random~ bullshit, CAD style. At least Minsc has the decency to thoroughly abuse metaphors in creative if insane ways.

Jan just likes making the characters who take themselves too seriously insane with rage. Which is most of them. He's the perfect foil for any party. And really, he's essential if you take Anomen. Here's the thing though: if the people he made fun of just played along with his jokes instead of getting unreasonably angry, he'd probably leave them alone. Jan's role shows how most of these so-called good characters are actually kind of dickish.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mahasamatman posted:

What's the best way to dual a Thief into a Mage? I was gonna do Swashbuckler for the extra proficiencies.

I know a Blade is pretty much a better option all around but I hate not being able to open locks and disarm traps. Can a party get by without a thief?

Sort of. Clerics can detect traps, but not disarm them. And some of the traps you get in BG2 are nasty. Given that detect trap is the only thief skill you need people tend to use Imoen or Jan for their trap picking needs. If you are going to dual class bump your detect traps up to 100 before you do.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

TjyvTompa posted:

Thanks, I think I have a couple of those since I never use the potions I haul with me through the whole game.

There is basically no other reason to drink a potion of genius other than spell scribing purposes.

Edit: Well Mindflayers I guess.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Arcaeris posted:

To whoever complained about not playing evil characters in BG1, you're dead on.

I'd never played an Evil character before in PnP or computer D&D, but I decided an evil Fighter/Thief was for me. Holy poo poo is it worthless. If you say evil things you don't get rewards from so many quests, but 10% of the time you might get an extra 10-50 gold. Not worth it. You can't really murder anyone or do anything because the penalties are so severe.

The story itself is even good focused. You can't decide early on to stop helping people in the mines or solving their crises and instead hunt Sarevok down like a dog. You get no benefit from killing Imoen to steal her power. You can't meet a priest of Cyric (there's at least 2) and decide to join him.

And the worst is Viconia talks poo poo every time your reputation goes up, but I had to use EEKeeper to bump my reputation to positive levels when I met her just to be able to recruit her rear end. They made it so a loving evil cleric drow won't join you if your reputation is too low.

Well to be fair, if you have a low reputation she probably has heard that you like to lure people into the woods and murder them. I wouldn't join you too, no matter how evil I was.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The fact remains that even evil people don't want to spend time near people who might murder them.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Arcaeris posted:

So you're saying that an evil party as a concept shouldn't exist? Maybe for all CEs even, but the idea of several LEs grouping up for a common goal is not a weird idea at all. Or the idea of one leader (the PC) and a bunch of evil henchmen who are along for the loot.

You could just be a self-serving opportunist dick and still be D&D evil, and it will still get you a reputation of -infinity and no chance to recruit followers.

I'm saying that the game is written in a way that all evil characters come off as psychopaths. The good dialogue is fine, but the evil stuff is way out there. And reputation isn't a repetition of the deeds you've done. It's how rumors interpret your actions. You kill one guy for no reason, and now the rumor is that you are a serial killer. I agree, you should be able to play the game the way you want, but that isn't how it's written.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

On the other hand... if you want a ranger in your party put one there. They are perfectly serviceable. They just aren't the powergamers response.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Zephro posted:

Thanks for the soloing advice. F/M/C appeals to the part of me that likes casting a dozen buffs before each fight (I'm not joking heh) so I might try going with that.

F/M/C sounds neat, and is totally viable to do. But it doesn't really have any advantages over M/C that would justify further weakening your XP gain and sacrificing most of your HLA's.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

oswald ownenstein posted:

What's the purpose of rangers in Infinity games, anyway?

They get the same 2 point proficiency cap that Paladins get right, except with more armor restrictions? Only thing I can think of is to have them be an archer, but the Archer kit is so much better.

Archers are Rangers for the first thing. Also in 2nd edition Rangers don't have armor restrictions, they just can't stealth in Heavy Armor. They can also cast low level druid spells instead of cleric spells. And they can naturally dual wield in BG2. Basically, they do more damage than paladins, but are less tanky.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

gently caress Shadowdancers anyway.

The mod looks pretty beneficial to every Rogue kit...except Bounty Hunter, who is probably worse off.

Shadowdancers would be good if they could use standard backstab progressions or could set traps. But they can't so they aren't.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Any class that requires HLA's to be useful isn't really worth playing in my opinion.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

People do use both of those? But yeah, Ironskins makes Berserker/Druid a little more overpowered than a fighter/cleric.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

To be fair, they're official forums, and official forums are always poo poo.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

To be fair Aerie's hook up with Haer'dalis is a really bad idea from the get go. They have completely different views of the world. She's naive enough to think he's free spirited when he's actually just a nihilist.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Barkskin

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Nope, Rangers in 2nd edition are goody goodies. Play as a fighter.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Wolfsheim posted:

As someone who just jumped into BG1, that multi-class and dual-class bit threw me as well. Honestly, a lot of this poo poo seems incredibly arbitrary (why can't rangers be evil? why can't Mondaron as a fighter/thief use bows, but my pure fighter PC and pure thief Imoen can? why is Khalid so terrible?) but I'm having fun all the same. I played pure vanilla BG1 for a few hours, then out of curiosity checked out BGTuTu, and holy poo poo why did I waste my time playing the other way. I mean, just the slightly faster movement speed and larger screen enhance gameplay so goddamn much.

Anyway, since I'm still fiddling around in what I presume is the early game, I have some questions:

1)Am I just missing an enormous amount of sidequests or does leveling take a long loving time? Jaheira popped like ten minutes after I found her, and my PC (again, just a standard human fighter) literally didn't hit Level 2 until I killed the final guy in the Nashkel mines.

2)I got what I considered lucky and five minutes in on my re-rolls I was able to get 18 in every stat but Wisdom, which I dropped all the way to 3. Are there 'safe' dump stats that you can basically make crippling low or will this gently caress me later? This seems like the kind of game that will arbitrarily gently caress me later.

3)Seriously, is Khalid just lovely or am I using him wrong? He's died more than any other character at this point. A goddamn kobold one-shot him!

4)On a similar note, everyone talks up Minsc is being a powerhouse baller but he's died almost as much as Khalid, and I put my best stuff on him. Is this just a case of low-level D&D coming down to one-shot criticals or am I missing some key elements?

5)Why do I keep getting spells and equipment that give me free infravision? I have two party members that literally just have it and it's not terribly interesting. Is there some hidden benefit to infravision other than 'guys glow in the dark' that I'm missing?

6)You seriously have to savescum to get a good level-up? I didn't even notice at first, but when I died and reloaded my PC hit 26 HP instead of 19 HP. This isn't even a question, just, what the gently caress, Gygax?

7)Since I'm tinkering around with BGTuTu anyway and playing a straight fighter is vaguely dull, is it worth it to start over and go paladin or ranger? I'm a little intimidated by being a mage because I don't understand half the 2e rules and don't know which spells are garbage, but even places where I'd think they'd have a guide laying out the pros/cons of each class just say stuff like 'play as a basic human fighter trust me' or 'go half-elf fighter/mage everything else is garbage' etc etc. Help a brother out here, guys who have soloed this game several times!

Eh, beaten, but here's the stuff that isn't redundant.

1) Leveling takes a long rear end time in this game. Most of the challenge of the early game comes from the fact that until you hit level 3 or 4 you're characters are subject to being one shot a lot.

2) Wisdom is a safe dump stat for fighters, Int is usually a safe dump stat for most characters, though not necessarily if you want to import to BG2.

3)Until your front line fighters get 30+ hit points they will die a lot unless you get their AC down. Khalid should optimally have an AC of around -1 or -2 to keep him alive at this point. As the game progresses you'll be able to reduce it even more.

4)Minsc has a dreadful dexterity score, which hurts his AC. He's a good candidate for getting the gauntlets of dexterity. With his high strength, once he has enough hitpoints to not die to things he tends to absolutely destroy any enemy he comes into melee with.

7)Frankly, a fighter is one of the easiest classes to beat BG1 with. Neither Paladin's or Rangers get their spells in BG1 so a lot of the bonuses of those classes won't come into play. That being said, the Inquisitor Paladin kit and Archer Ranger kit are very powerful. Inquisitor's trivialize mages, and Archers turn 90% of BG1 into easy mode. Mages can be trickier, but any AOE crowd control spell like sleep, web, or cloudkill will be your friend. BG1's demands on mages are very light compared to BG2.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Smol posted:

I forget if Tutu does anything to Khalid's profiencies, but he makes a good archer.

I forgot, Tutu gives Khalid that stupid dual wielding spec. It renders him completely useless as a melee combatant.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That's Imprisonment. Which only does that because it removes you from the party.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

For a first time, running a single class character is fine. In fact you have to if you play a paladin. A few suggestions.

Archer: Ranged combat rules BG1, so the Archer is a great choice to get started. In BG2 and TOB you'll have to rely on other party members a lot more though, so it may not be an ideal choice for a first time run of the second game.

Berserker: The rage ability makes you immune to just about everything, so it's a great way to counter mage abilities, but it only works if you know to get the protection up ahead of time. Still a pretty powerful class.

Inquisitor: Between a 2x level Dispel Magic and True Seeing the Inquisitor can turn mages into mincemeat.

For multiclass characters Ranger/Clerics are fun, as they are essentially Ranger/Druid/Clerics.

But really any class can easily beat the game, so play whatever sounds most fun to you. Though Wizard Slayer will probably suck for your first playthrough, I'd avoid that.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

UberJumper posted:

Another question, i just got neera. And i tried to use her spell Reckless Dweomer. After using it:

Did she just actually decrease in level by 1? (i actually cannot remember the level she was before this, but she is currently level 2).

Every time a wild mage casts a spell they roll to see what spell level they cast it at. The roll can go from +10 to -10.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Wouldn't a max int/wis character be better suited for a second playthrough? I found it almost a little too easy with all the dialogue options unlocked. The PC could talk their way out of almost any situation (which is very cool) but I felt like it would have been more interesting to see the consequences if I messed up more often.

To be fair, there are enough issues with PS:T now that a lot of new players might not want to have to play the whole game again. Mechanically, it is the least fun to play of the Infinity Engine games. It just happens to have the best character interactions and the best story of all of them. The best by a long shot.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

UberJumper posted:

Alright i will add Kagain, i honestly wasn't going for an evil party. Its just that Dorn is pretty decent as a characther, so was Viconia.

Also uhhh, so i kicked out minsc and dynatheir went with him, this was a long time ago (in the area where you recruit dorn). Where exactly do they go? I am pretty sure Minsc has a bunch of quest items, and some good gear.

Unless you have a mod that sends them to an inn they stay in the area you kicked them out in. They'll be at the tavern in Nashkel, the Jovial Juggler in Beregost or at the friendly arm if you have the mod. If you don't have such a mod installed you might be kind of screwed. You might be able to use CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("OH1000") to get to the area though.

Edit: It might be C:MoveToArea("OH1000") for BG:EE.

sweet geek swag fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

JustJeff88 posted:

Thanks, that's great. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to play BG2EE it will be updated for that as well.

It's not necessary in BG2. NPC's go back to set locations in that game, and there are no pairs.