Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm going through BG2:EE and I think Rasaad is going gay for me. He's been moping all through the game about his dead brother, and I was patting him on the back, just trying to be a bro, when he suddenly says he wants our relationship to be "something more". Are homosexual romances now in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

cheesetriangles posted:

Yes they are now in game.
Lesbian ones as well?

Will they at least give me an option to let him down gently?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Will I have fun if I choose to play like a fighter or something in BG2? Everything I've heard about it points towards magic being the be all and end all.
Magic is potent but warriors can hold their own and some are quite fun. I also find that warriors are a little more reliable, being that so many monsters have resistances to magic.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

cheesetriangles posted:

Well I have 18 int and 18 wis. I left the game alone for 5 minutes and it never unmazed me. I think it bugged out.
I think that if the main character is mazed it's game over (even though the spell is temporary).

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think it was true even if you had other members in your party. Has it changed in EE?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've noticed that Jaheira's resurrection spell doesn't work.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've got another bug: Rasaad just called me a woman. I am male.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In Brynnlaw I paid a smuggler 200 gold to ship two people off the island. Why did I have to pay the Shadow Thieves 15,000 to get here?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I paid 9000 gold to a wizard to take the Knights of Solamnia in the Planar Sphere back to their home which is on another planet. Why did I have to pay the Shadow Thieves 15,000 to get to an island that is within Amn's waters?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The smart thing is to side with Bodhi because you'll then get to destroy both guilds later in the game.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I know it's early but is there any word on sales figures so far for BG2:EE? How did BG1:EE do?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

cheesetriangles posted:

How soon before Monk gets awesome? I am doing a solo monk run and had a lot of difficulty in Irenicus dungeon with missing attacks over and over. Getting outside and getting bracers of AC3 has helped a bunch defense wise at least. My thac0 is garbage even with 19 STR. Any must have items that are easy to grab for a monk?
Monks come into their own at level 14 when they magic resistance. The game isn't really balanced for solo play. At low levels you have to exploit the engine constantly to survive, whereas at high levels you're a ridiculous death machine. It goes from one extreme to the other.

You should get the Short Sword of Backstabbing from the Thieves Guild quest. It's a +3 weapon that can help you kill certain enemies (like the rakshasa in the Druid Grove).

I think there is a flaming sword you can buy in Waukeen's Promenade that will let you slay trolls.

Also: potions! Potions get overlooked by parties with spellcasters but as a solo monk they are a godsend.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Does Greater Malison stack?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If you do that then the game will spawn an invincible assassin who will wipe you out. It's a safeguard to prevent you breaking the game by turning on Aran after you side with him. That safeguard is in effect even after you return to Athkatla.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I read it's because the get all druid spells as well as cleric (they shouldn´t in theory). On the surface it doesn't sound so fantastic since they share so many spells. The ranger levels give a better THAC0 but why not just use a Fighter/Druid?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Tithin Melias posted:

I'm not sure I believe that. Why would it matter if you turn on Aran post underdark? his part in the play is done.

Asides from that, an invincible assassin seems a bit hamfisted, even by bioware beamdog.
In general it seems that the BG games don't like you killing characters unless it's in the script somewhere.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Why can't I access Watcher's Keep in SoA?

cheesetriangles posted:

One shot killing a dragon with Quivering Palm is pretty hilarious. Good show monk.
It's hilarious because Quivering Palm almost never works. loving useless ability. Hooray for the Sun Soul kit.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 22, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Poor scaling with level was a serious problem in 2ed and to a lesser extend 3ed D&D as well.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
-18 AC. Wow.

Monks are piss weak at low levels, but freakish at high levels. Solo play is a shift from one extreme to another.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Get yourself a ring of regeneration so that healing is no longer a problem. You can get one in Spellhold or pickpocket one off Ribald Barterman.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Factor_VIII posted:

The Shadow Thieves are criminals, but at least they aren't evil by nature.
Real-world gangsters can be more cruel, revolting, and terrifying than any cheap horror movie stock character.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

rakovsky maybe posted:

Really? I think its cool an RPG offered a choice that was more complicated than "Be nice" (+1 Light Side points) or "Be an rear end in a top hat!" (+1 Dark Side points). Sometimes you have to choose between two bad options.
Yah, that's cool, because real life is life that sometimes. I just wish the invincible assassin stopped spawning after Spellhold so that I could wipe out the Shadow Thieves.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Their price is ridiculous (Why can't I shop around for passage? Athkatla is a major port!) and they make you jump through additional surprise hoops, but yeah, they don't screw you over.

Tenacious J posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times...

but I'm sort of new to BG2 (I've started playing it a dozen times but never went too far). I am basically familiar with the game mechanics. I just bought BG2:EE and think I'll seriously play through it this time. My problem is that I have never liked managing a party - is it possible and fun to play through with just one character? Maybe two would be ok if that's fun.

If so, any recommendations? I heard something about making a kensai, 5 points into quarterstaves, and going to get the staff of magi right in the beginning? Thanks.
The sorcerer works OK in solo.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It's laughable how you can get people to transform their personalities with a few dialogue lines. I hear you can actually turn Dorn good, and he's a loving blackguard.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mordaedil posted:

Basically, you could just as easily run a game without alignments as with alignments. It can just act as a guide to how you want to play out. Like a knight with a code of honor, but a tendency to sort of do evil poo poo that the code of honor doesn't govern. It can give you an idea to work with instead of just "playing as yourself, but as an elf".
It's important to note that "codes of honor" don't necessarily mean being kind and heroic. It is the code by which your organization grants you respect. Mafiosi have a code of honor, but what is considered "honorable" among mobsters is being punctual, obedient, fearless, discreet, and good at making money. Being nice doesn't factor into their code.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What am I supposed to do with the mechanical bird I got during Neera's quest?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm assuming that it's something that you hold onto until ToB, to be quite honest.
It didn't come into play in Neera's ToB quest. I think it's an element of her romance.

General Emergency posted:

No, your alignment is static in BG1/2.
In BG2, if you do or say evil things while in Hell, you will become evil.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I second everyone who says that Baldur's Gate 1 is actually horrible. There is a massive leap in quality with BG2.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
These old games have steep learning curves.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In the original build of BG1, all the NPC characters are hunched over. What's with that?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Accretionist posted:

Rolled a 94 on my BGI Cavalier! Let's see how long I can Ironman a PC which permits no ranged weapons.
Cavaliers are immune to poison, which is a pretty big threat in BG1, so you've got that going for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Notice the head on top has pointed ears whilst the one below doesn't. The top head is feminine while the bottom is more masculine. It could well be Ellesime and Irenicus.