Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

M(8/8)S(11/11)0 I(16/16)1 XP:1

"Gregor, I would assist you in this task if we have the legal grounds for it. I am not known as Custo the Unjust. I'm just a Magnificent healer. But let's say we do this thing for you, what do we get in return? Personally I'd need something which would help me understand my own past. If you can provide me with that, and some authority to arrest this woman, we have a deal." Custo runs a couple of what if scenarios.
-Gregor refuses me my past, We don't work for him. Bardakos will probably kick things.-
-Gregor agrees, provides legal grounds. . . . Bardakos Kicks things.-
-Gregor agrees, no legal grounds. Everyone kicks things.-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Everyone

I love that everyone assumes the blasted billion AD wasteland has any form of law whatsoever.

Gregor cocks an eyebrow at Bardakos. "New to the area, I presume? The soldiers of Thaemor have no dealings in the plains past this wood, and we are still quite far south of Navarene, not that they would lend any assistance below their border. The only authority is of my word, and by extension the Order of the Narthex."

AzMiLion posted:

"Gregor, I would assist you in this task if we have the legal grounds for it. I am not known as Custo the Unjust. I'm just a Magnificent healer. But let's say we do this thing for you, what do we get in return? Personally I'd need something which would help me understand my own past. If you can provide me with that, and some authority to arrest this woman, we have a deal."

"As I mentioned to your companion, there is no legal factors I can offer. But perhaps this will convince you." Gregor looks back towards the axeman and nods. Nile steps forward, axe lowered, and removes his hood for the first time. The skin next to his right eye has been savagely carved in a jagged crescent, obviously in combat against a blade or clawed beast.

Custo, you've seen many scars in your healing travels, and this one seems to match up with Gregor's time frame. It seems to have been treated, but Numenera can only do so much.

Nile replaces his hood and steps back. Gregor nods in thanks and turns back to the party. "As for rewards, the Narthex is filled with the secrets of worlds past. I see no reason our leader would mind parting a sum of shins and a few pieces of Numenera to each of you in exchange for Evanna. I can not say if any might be related to your past, but stranger things occur every day."

Gregor checks the device on his arm again. Seems he's starting to weaken in the patience department.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Bardakos

Bardakos studies the wounded man. He could always have been harmed in self-defense, and trotted out here as a ploy, but it seems too contrived a plan. Bardakos nods slowly. He sets his hands palm-forward towards Gregor and begins to intone in a slight canting "Then I, Bardakos, son of Wilms, of Norou, do swear before the eyes of the gods to complete this task, and that I shall do all within my power, save for committing those crimes that the gods themselves deplore and abominate, to see Evanna placed within the power of the Order of the Narthex." The incantation done according to the rites of Norou, Bardakos looks for a map to find the best way to this town.

Ok, Bardakos is on board with this -- even though Gregor may not have a parchment with written authority he can give, his word and the authority of his Order is quite important.
Edit: I still don't know which PC has hired me to be their bodyguard, by the way :v:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Clearly we all have!

Nara

"Yes, insurmountable odds not withstanding, I think we can help you with this."
Nara looks slightly sheepish, and adds "Sorry about the bookbag..."

Once the bargain is struck, she helps in navigating towards the town. A collection of charts and internal compass dredged from the archives of her mechanical parts is of some help.

By which I mean Nara's flex skill is navigation.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Elfface posted:

Clearly we all have!
That works for me! Now it's time for Bardakos to go back to being the Quiet, after his lengthy speeches!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Narot

Narot ducks out of the bushes by Ashlin and gives her a cheery wave. 'I guess we're all working together for a bit. So, why are you all really here? No offence, but your lie earlier was pretty see through.'

He gives the others a quick nod of assent to their plan, and waits for them to wave him to follow towards the town.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

M(8/8)S(11/11)0 I(16/16)1 XP:1

"Fine then, let us go and acquire this lady for you."
Custo is good to head out at any point, been celebrating Sinterklaas this weekend, wordsy posting will resume tommorow.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Vance

Vance stands up from his rock as the others make ready to leave, stretching his shoulders as if nothing had happened. "We seem to be done here so shall we head to town then? I'd like to avoid camping out for another night if we can. I don't feel like fighting nocturnal predators again after the lizard-dog things from two nights ago."

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Narot

Ashlin jumps back, startled, and almost plants a bolt straight through your head. She blushes in embarrassment and lowers the wrist bow.

"We're... Ugh, fine. We're going back to the Narthex, okay? Ya shouldn't sneak up on people like that you know," she says, sidelong.

Everyone else

Gregor taps his forehead with two fingers and gives a bow with hands together. "I am glad we have come to an agreement. Feán, please assist them in their map."

Feán's assistance speeds things up, and in only a minute or two you have a nice map of the area. Jutte is marked as a fair walk north of here, and a second mark is placed much farther north, where some small mountains lord over the plains. Feán explains this as the Narthex's approximate location in ten days. Feán also gives you a slip of paper with some sort of incantation written on it.

Gregor taps it on the map. "The Narthex requires a special device and an ancient ritual to enter from outside. Evanna most likely still holds the one which she stole from us. Please be cautious of her actions; I do not wish more blood to be spilled. Auv vedsen, travelers."

After any farewells from the party, the monks collect themselves and travel down to the Narthex, where they perform the strange ritual written down on the paper they gave you. When Feán inserts a keystone into the hole, a part of the Narthex simply disappears before your eyes. They enter into a central chamber, and with another use of the key the wall returns. The Narthex makes no noise as it ceases to exist.

Going to assume the party moved on after this. Feel free to post any pre-departure dialogue or whatever.

--Later--

The walk is long, and once out of the forest uncomfortably hot. You arrive in Jutte slightly past midday, late spring sun high over head.

Jutte

Took me forever to find a small enough village that didn't have power lines all over the place! Still not satisfied, but it'll do.

Jutte is small and quiet, a change from the bustle of the larger towns and cities to the southwest. There is life apparent, however. Farmers on the outskirts tend to hairy, fat beasts that grunt and make strange guttural burping noises. Further in, the main street seems to house a small market with stalls and carts, leading up to a central building that stands tall with a brassy roof cap. A farmhand working a patch of vegetables notices the party, pulls his hat low and tills the roots faster.

I'll leave it up to the party on where they want to go first. If you need any more info on what you see, just ask.

saberwulf fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 3, 2013

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Bardakos

During the walk, Bardakos stays silent, contemplating some matters known only to himself. He shows little distress or worry about the task at hand, as if it's something he's done before, though he's never spoken of doing anything like it to the others.

As they enter the outskirts of Jutte, he smiles a bit inside his mask. Peace and tranquility seem to rule here, a state of affairs he agrees with quite readily. "We should find the Mayor," he says to Nara, "no sense looking like kidnappers." He looks to Custo, Narot, and Vance. "Would you find the local inn? If she has gone to ground, to search in the night would be fruitless."

A little splitting up might not be a bad idea. I'm willing to go get some cover from the local authority, but let's cover our bases.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

M(8/8)S(11/11)0 I(17/17)1 XP:1

"This town is familiar to me, I've been here before but I don't remember the title I went by, maybe it's a good idea for me to take Narot and Vance to the inn. I can entertain the crowd with tricks and tales, whilst they mingle and get some information form the locals. See what they think of this Order of the Narthex group." With that said, Custo remove Oscar from storage and lets him wander around whilst making his way to the town. Today's cube variety is dirt and grass. "Lil thing was clanging around in there, probably not the best idea to let me carry maps if i'm storing him as well. might end up with a cubed map!"

Going into town, more specfically the Inn to see if anyone recognizes Custo under one of his titles(The Amazing or The Healer)Will act after that. Here's to hoping they don't know him as Custo the walking pile of spare parts, why haven't you gotten your pitchforks out yet lads.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 3, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Narot

Narot follows along behind Custo, watching Oscar frolic and taking in the agricultural scenery. Slightly disturbed by the locals unwillingness to make any form of eye contact, he wraps himself in his cloak, hunches down, and tries to walk as inconspicuously as possible. It's clear the group is going to draw attention to itself, but it doesn't do to draw any more than is already necessary. As they arrive at the inn, Narot takes a seat at the bar, and lets Custo see if he can spot any old acquaintances.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Vance

Vance follows Custo and Narot towards the inn.

"Yes, that wouldn't do at all. All the ancient records say that the world is round after all. A cubed map would be all distorted."

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

If anyone has not decided to go to the inn, say so now and I'll post again with wherever you've gone.

Everyone

A low building sits near the market stalls, built from ancient yellowed foam, sheets of multi-color synth, and the occasional slabs of wood that serve as shutters and a door. These give the building an odd shape, like a slightly collapsed bubble. Glowing tubes are set on a rusted metal plate above the door, reading the name in an electric shade of purple that makes your teeth itch.

Vadonya's Alehouse

The 'inn' seems to lack the inn part. Jutte is off the beaten path and rarely sees visitors, let alone those looking for room and board. Instead the dusty stone floor is filled with a dozen tables formed of salvaged material, half ringed by villagers enjoying mugs of afternoon drink. Across the left wall is a long wood bar, carved over the years by lonely knives and the occasional rowdy brawl. A stout woman stands behind the bar, filling a mug with oily blue liquid.

The villagers stop their conversations when the party enters, leaving it dead silent. Oscar pops out a stone cube to break the awkward tension.

A man in a long blue coat stands up from a nearby table. "More heads, yeah? Or the same ones?" He rounds the table and approaches the group with his hand held fast to a device lashed against his hip. He's in his later years, with thick peppery hair and bits of gold metal stuck to his face in a lightning bolt shape. "State yer business in Jutte, hardfeet. I don't take kindly to troublemakers in me town."

The rest of the bar looks on, not giving any particular sign of aggression.

Narot

It's uncomfortable, but you're able to slink over to the bar. The barkeep is a woman of perhaps forty, stocky in build and tinged with an unmistakeable farmer's tan. Her hair is coiled into a forest of tight white dreadlocks festooned in multicolor synth beads. She takes a look at you, then the situation near the door. She gives a quiet chuckle and shoves a mug into a metal box before sliding a door closed. In moments it re-opens, and you're presented with a short glass of light orange swimming with silver shavings.

"You can pay me the shin once you're done, dear. Eyes up if I were you."

Custo

No one has spoken up yet on whether they know of you. On the other hand, you can already pick someone out. The twanging music that fills the bar is coming from a figure wrapped tightly in dusky red robes, picking the swirling strings of an incomprehensible instrument at a far table. It's staring directly at you.

Tell me Custo, who's the entertainment?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Bardakos

Bardakos salutes the man. Declining to use the amplifiers of his mask, he speaks normally, intending to finish this task honestly and quickly. "I am Bardakos of Norou, and I greet your Authority. Myself and my companions have been deputed by the Order of the Narthex to seek and bring to justice the woman named Evanna, for she is accused of the theft of certain artifacts and numenera belonging to her Order. We have no desire to be seen as brigands or kidnappers, and so have come here to inform your Authority of our presence and task."

Bardakos is going to have to lose the 'Quiet' sobriquet at this rate :v: Anyway, just want to let this guy know the basics, no need in antagonizing or trying to hoodwink him. He SHOULDN'T have a reason to try and stop or mislead us, unless something's weird.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Nara

Nara looks around the town as she follows the group, adjusting her clothes to conceal some of her cybernetics. She's never going to get her arms and legs looking natural, but in her experience, people only get funny about replacement bodyparts when they're in the head or chest, hearts and minds being more sacred than hands and feet.

She adds to Bardakos statement,
"We're not looking to cause trouble, absolutely, but the woman did injure some of the monks during her escape. She could be dangerous, or be carrying dangerous things."

Sorry for the delay, my internet at home is on the fritz, so I'm posting from work. hopefully it'll be fixed by the time I'm back again.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Custo adds to what Nara and Bardakos are saying"Greetings, I'm Custo. I'm travelling with these people. And we've been asked by the Order of the Narthex to solve an internal conflict, turns out that a woman has stolen some artifacts from them. We've been asked to return them"

As he scans the room for familiair faces, his eyes lock with a familiair face. "Graddus!, is that you? Never thought I'd see you again after those maniacs in the Westwood attempted to murder us. How are ya?"

Custo starts making his way to Graddus, whilst reminicing about their past.
Of all people to show up, How could it be Graddus? The man hat been there when Custo emerged into the Ninth world, and promptly tried to take his head off with one of his blades. After I calmeed him down he told me that he'd been travelling in the lands for a while. Turns out he was injured from a fight with a couple of highwaymen, so I patched him back up.
We travelled together for a while after that, with me performing small magic tricks whilst he accompanied it with his music. Custo the Magnificent and Grand Graddus they called us. Seeing as we made a bit of a name for ourselves we were the target of a bandit hit quite soon, and got split up after that. Good thign he still lives, I knew he'd make it. Wonder why he is packed up in a robe now though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Narot

Narot eyes his glass warily. The turbid, mote-filled liquid doesn't look particularly appealing, and, if he's honest, isn't exactly how he'd want to spend one of his last 4 shins. Lifting the glass to his lips, he sips it slowly, allowing the taste to flow over his tongue. Drinkable, at least. He looks up at the barkeep, accepting that sometimes you have to pay for the information you need.

'Can I get another?'

As she begins to poor the drink, Narot explains, 'We had the weirdest trip here. Ran into this building that popped up straight out of the ground, and the next minute - bang -', he illustrates the point with an overenthusiastic hand gesture, 'it was gone. Really odd... That sort of thing happen often round here?'

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Bardakos

The man's stony expression is slightly broken by a cough of a laugh. "Born tenth, are ya. If yer working for Abrassal yer not welcome in Jutte, and any troublemakin'll leave you eight under."

Narot

The mug is placed in the cabinet again, and with a flash of light you have another mug of drink.

"Sounds strange, yunko. I've certainly never seen it, but the Numenera is everywhere after all."

Nara & Custo

An odd expression passes him, and the man groans in realization, covering his face.

"They tricked you into it, didn't they? Gods save ya, how do people survive in this day and age!" He collects himself and returns his gaze to the party, looking you all over in a different light. "Tell me exactly what they asked ya to do, and I might consider not throwing every one of ya out of my town on your collective arse."

Graddus manages to keep playing perfectly as he lowers the bit of fabric over his mouth. "Custo, you old synth you. I thought they would have made a stove out of your head." Same old humorless tone. "All of you still there? Looks like it to me. I wasn't so lucky, they took most of my fingers and my left eye before I escaped." You can see he's not lying. The majority of his spidery digits are formed of metals and plastics, particularly his middle digits, both gold and inset with red gem nails. His eye gives off a faint blue glow.

"Would have nice to have your healing back then, eh? Oh, but that's all Numenera beneath these days. How's business?" In Graddus' typical fashion, you can't tell if he's horrendously furious at your continued existence or if he really is joking.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Bardakos

Bardakos remains silent for a moment, his eyes barely visible beneath his mask. In his mind he runs through images of gutting the artless authority or taking his throat in his mailed fist and squeezing, but pushes them aside as the needless violence they are - he is no man of the Steadfast, he is of Norou, where agreements and contracts are written in blood, and enforced by it if necessary. Some of the observers nervously fidget before he speaks. "You have been informed, that is enough." He stamps his armored boot heavily against the wooden floor, getting everyone's attention, before turning and leaving. He will let the others speak, he will stand guard.

Frankly, Bardakos is agnostic about the charge, because it's not up to him to determine if it's true or not! He's no judge of the Order. As a player I don't like the implication we're being hoodwinked, and as a PC Bardakos likes it less (the man has to have gone through either the majority of the Beyond to get here from Norou or through the Black Riage, he's no idiot), but if Gregor DID... misrepresent matters... 1) Bardakos' oath does have an "out", and 2) Norou taught him well how to deal with liars and cheats.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Nara

Did you mean me and Custo there? I thought I was with Bardakos? I'm fine with either though.

Nara sighs and shrugs, which ends up more like a hydraulic hiss. "I take it the Order weren't entirely honest with us? We should probably hear both sides of this before doing anything. Bringing in a thief on the run is one thing, but a falsely accused traveler is quite different."

She also looks around, and adds "And we should probably get the others, to save you repeating yourself."

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

as far as i can tell, everyone is n the inn at the moment.

Yes, that's good ol' Graddus alright, Maybe he wants to get some vengeance or a good laugh out of me. Can't blame him for either after that.
"I'll let my friends explain the situation and what happened, I didn't catch everything that transpired back there."
Heading off to Graddus he attempts to remember some of the old tricks he used to perform together with him, and after running through his processes a few times he recalls it. Sitting down next to Graddus he uses his projectors to project a small group of dancers, moving to his music.
After the crowd is distracted by the dancers he speaks to Graddus in whispers.
"Speaking about lost things, I've not lost any parts, but my memory is fuzzy and incomplete at places. Must've happened when you bashed me in the head in my first seconds on this world. Ha, good times. Anyhow, what do you know of these men calling themselves the Order of the Narthex? I can't say I've had enjoyable experiences with them so far."

Hedge Magic to make a small group of dancers, about half size from reality, moving to Graddus hs music. Going with the logic that he and Graddus have performed together many a time, if you want a roll for it just say so.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Bardakos

Haha, good to hear on that second one. I'll try my best to keep the situation gray and not force you guys to favor either side. Everyone has a different definition of good, after all. It'll be interesting to see which side (if any) the party takes in the end!

At the stomp, the device on the man's hip dissolves into bright orange squares and reforms in his hand, aimed at Bardakos. A glassy triangle on the front begins to shimmer, giving off a low whine. He tracks the swordsman as he leaves the alehouse before reholstering it.

"God's above, your merc's touchier than an aneen's arse."

--

Just outside the bar is on of the market stalls that dot the street. A teenaged girl looks out from the side, inspecting your cyphers with a trained-eye. What looks to be a lizard made from turquoise glass sits on her head, fidgeting around in the fiery bird's nest that is her hair.

"Hoi, hardfeet! Some nice tech you have there, I gotta say! I could give you top shin for those if you're looking to do business." She runs a hand over the display of ancient scrap that fills her stall. "Or maybe you're a bartering sort? I have some nice parts and even a few cyphers to suit your fancy."

Nara

I was grouping you two because you both added on to Bardakos' statement, inciting lightningface's accusation that you've been tricked.

He nods. "Aye. least one of ya's got a brain in their head." He sighs. "Think we got off on the wrong foot, yeah? Harman 'Thunder Eye' Urkoss, mayor of Jutte. Come, sit. No matter your intentions, I've got manners and I intend to show them."

He leads you (and presumably any other party members who rejoin you) back to his table and offers a pitcher of golden beer.

"Drink if you like. We make our own ale in Jutte. Now, from what yer saying, them Narthex barmies have you playing bounty hunter on a supposed thief. Would you shake hands with the whispering lurker if it put a yellow robe on as well? You're all obviously well-traveled— Why would ya believe anything Abrassal told you?"

Custo

No roll needed. It's a fairly simple trick, and Custo's probably done it so much it's second nature.

Graddus changes to a different song effortlessly, keeping you on your feet.

"Maybe I should hit you again, old friend. See what it fixes. Good times indeed. Narthex, eh? Never heard of them." Graddus goes silent for a few moments, still playing despite it. "Actually, wait. Yellow robes, shifty atmosphere, give of a feeling of 'we do strange things to livestock on Tuesdays'? Oh yeah, I know them. Played at a caravansary they were staying at between Far Brohn and Nihilesh. I remember two of them, a man with a notebook and a hobo who could knock a ravage bear on its rear end with his armpits. Yeah, that's right. The smelly guy talked about a sun god and feeding it power to start a golden age, or something like that. The bookworm seemed to have a fondness for music; my instrument had him in a dead trance all night." Graddus laughs slightly. "I remember when I stopped playing he passed out at his table. Poor kid was like a zombie. Got a great tip out of it."

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Bardakos

Bardakos spies the young woman, and wordlessly eyes her wares, to see if anything catches his eyes - particularly anything which might function as a weapon or armor. He takes out his vial of viscous red fluid and holds it in front of him. "Draught from the Jagged Wastes. Confuses and makes the mind sluggish."

I'm up for some bartering, especially as I'm not sure when I'll be in a position to shove this particular item down someone's throat :v:
Identify Wares: 1d20 14

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Vance

Instead of entering the tavern with the others, Vance had gotten distracted by the numenera stall at the last moment, chatting with the owner about numenera of all kinds.

"... and the thing turned out to be some sort of teleportation device. Zapped me to a village few days south from here, halfway across the world from where I was, and vaporized all of my gear. Though at least it had the decency to leave me my clothes. I had to work for the village numenera merchant for a while so I could replenish my devices. His name was Laudius, have you met him? He told me merchants appreciate networking, especially those dealing with unique goods that you might not find a local buyer for like art and numenera. Could be a good business opportunity."

"Ah Barakdos, that didn't take long, are the others still inside?"

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Narot

Narot thanks the barkeep and hands over the shins (-2 shins, character sheet edited), suppressing his annoyance at the barkeep's complete lack of knowledge about the Narthex. He downs the second glass of mysterious liquid in one. Beginning to feel the effects of the alcohol wash over him, he joins Custo and his friend at their table.

'I'm Narot, Custo's travelling companion. Pleased to meet you.' He offers Graddus a hand to shake. 'I assume Custo's been discussing our meeting with the Narthex folks? You know more about them than we do. Do you reckon we should help them? I'm leaning no. Never trust cults. Spend three years in one over Qi way, it didn't go well...' Narot exhales slowly. 'Honestly, getting out seems less like a crime and more like good sense.'

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 7, 2013

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Bardakos

Bardakos tilts his head towards Vance and makes a noise that could be interpreted as a yes.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Nara

Nara accepts a glass of the ale and sits down opposite the Mayor. "Truth be told, I thought there was something funny with them, but if being a little strange was a crime, I'd be in a lot of trouble."

Otherwise, she lets the man talk.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Does the party know about the mental link between Narot and Bardakos?
Custo turns to Narot with a smile.
"Hey Narot, This is Graddus, He may or may not hit you. We go back a ways."

Turning back to Graddus while simultaneously scooping Oscar of the ground and holding him up like a trophy. "By the way, guess who also survived our little adventure in the woods, broke his vocal circuits thank the maker, but he can still cube stuff like you wouldn't believe." dropping his voice back down to whispers "Yeah, I've met the bookworm and the hobo. The bookworm packed an ancient grinding beam, shot it right at my face. everything with them went south fast, Turns out you can apply a bag rather ballistically. I'm not to keen on working with the fools, since for a group that appears to worship Numenera they appeared rather unflapped by me. But how have you been? Any other interesting things happening in this town?"

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Vance

The lizard makes something halfway between a vomit and hoot and rustles beneath a stray cowlick.

"Sounds like a real bind, hardfeet! Laudius? Don't know him personally, but my friend Chattur does. Old fog he is, used to study Numenera way back. I tell you though he's a real ace, set you up right dandy if you need help with some dusty tech. If I start getting more working stuff I'll give Laudius a buzz!"

Bardakos

Most of her inventory is scrap parts, but there's a few working pieces.

The most noticeable is a thumb-sized red dome made of crystal or glass, mounted on a scratched up gold plate and secured to an old leather belt. You've seen one of these before— The Dartan River Bandits use to wear them on their foreheads when they ambushed carriages. A targeting interface would appear out on thin air in front of their face, and, well... The victim usually lost their face. Probably still has a charge in it going by the glow. 16 Shins.

Next is a large sphere, beat up over the years to the point that only flecks of whatever coating it had still cling to the bare gray exterior. The body is flanked by four feet facing downwards, perhaps to stabilize it, and above each sits a tarnished bronze flower that points out, artificial petals surrounding speakers in the center. On top sits a cracked lens over what you can easily identify as a hologram device. It must be for displaying some form of recording, possibly information or an illusion. 15 shins.

Beside that is a small wood box containing an iridescent silver pill. The top of the box is marked with a collection of ones and zeroes. 10 shins.

The last... Well, you really can't make out anything on it. It's just a carmine chunk with 18 sides and an unpleasant greasy sheen. It looks pretty fragile, and is kept in a basket to prevent it shattering. 5 shins.

The girl mulls over the vial. "Hmm... Well, I can give you 10 shins for it, I'd say. Not many folk need a thing like that around here. Though if you want, I can trade it for the red chunk or the pill. I'll even throw in two shins as an extra.

Narot

"Oh, there's more of you. Delightful." He listens to Narot's speech. "Well, I'm not leaning either way. Just because someone has bad fashion, lives in a magical tin can and does strange things with junk they found in the dirt doesn't mean they're automatically evil. They might even be the 'good guys' of your little adventure. Custo fits all of the above, and just look at him." Graddus looks to Custo. "Well, bad example."

Nara

Harman laughs in agreement. "I think we all would! But yeah, they're a rowdy bunch. Me da told me once that he remembered when they first found that flitting hunk of junk. The Order was big, lots'a families doing good for themselves and building a respectable life. Course some shitbird had to go and muck it up, start gabbing on about gods and the ancients and all that worthless drek. There were some fights, one got bad, and the folks just up and left, stayed in Jutte and never went back to the Narthex." The mayer gets a sober look on his face. The lightning bolt warps the lamplight from the table. "When I was a lad, few people went back. One was me best mate Abrassal. Haven't heard nothing but bad news about that synth heap since that son of a bitch got in. Sends his cronies out to bring fresh meat to the roster. Reason I almost shot ya was cause they happened to just pass through. They know we don't take kindly to 'em, and talk about that Evanna lass made it sure we got them out real quick. Think I made it clear we'll do the same if ya persue it."

Custo

I would say yes, though players are free to say otherwise.

Graddus looks genuinely happy to see Oscar. He gives the little droid a scritch on the head, pulling away before it can cube his fingers.

"Good to know he's still a greedy little clank. As for my myself, a very interesting subject as you know, business is good. The people need music, Custo, and I'm happy to provide. The town? Well, I've only been here for... Two days? There was a ruckus a few hours ago, but I guess that was those Narthex people. Otherwise they talk about a lake. It has some kind of thing lazing around in it called the 'whispering lurker'. Scary stuff, huh? I heard some geezer gripping about there being no fish because of it. They probably taste awful anyway."

Graddus grabs one of the keys on the side of his instrument and twists it, making the strings vibrate slightly. He reaches up and grabs another key, which he pulls out and clamps flat over the top of the strings. In a moment they shake rapidly and reform into an entirely new shape, looking like arcs of silver electricity up the body of his strange music maker.

The song he strums out is very different from his last two pieces, and fills the room with a strange atmosphere.

"You know Custo, this song really speaks to me. I always wondered what it was called."

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Bardakos

Bardakos smiles underneath his mask, and in his own way, so different from what might be expected, haggles with the young woman. His memories swim in the ebb and flow of the deal, and he remembers the cacophony of Norou, the swell and fall of the myriad tongues, dialects, accents, and cant as he walked through the winding streets and broad plazas of the city. He remembers the sight of the Augurs, graceful and seemingly above the world, the feel of the great stones under his feet, and the vista of the great road of the Sheer through the Clock of Kala. Without thinking, his left hand curls into a terrible fist, and one thought comes into his mind: "I will return."

As he barters, he attempts to exchange the vial and the last of his reserve of shins to get the red dome - anything to aid his skills in battle would be appreciated.

Haggle prices down: 1d20 12
If I can't get it, I'll take the pill for the vial and keep my shins.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

"I always questioned that as well, It has a sadness and brightness to it. not your usual style. I may as well changing the scene for it a bit"
Custo changes the visuals from a scene of dancers to a more somber and controlled scene of two men dueling with swords, moving slowly and with grace.The hits of the swords are timed with the music as the two little men start moving through the room, exchanging charges and blows "That was always a crowd favorite, having two little men dance around the room fighting, I should really do this more often. But i sadly don't have one in my group at the moment who is as musically talented as you Grad." Content that the sword fighting men are moving properly he turns to Narot. "Guess you didn't know this is how i used to earn my keep, I had quite the adventures with Graddus here. Shame that came to an early end. Remember that time in the border towns? Those were some rowdy days, the people in the drinking halls there know how to entertain. The good ol' days as they would say, Oscar still had his voice, my paint hadn't worn off quite as much and Graddus was still all original parts, even if the replacements are quite exquisitely made to play such fine music." Custo takes a look around the room to see how the crowd is taking to the alteration of the performance, and to Custo's additions to it. "Hah, maybe we could get you a tip out of all of this Grad, maybe if we perform a tale for them! Ain't done that in well, since i last saw you."

Custo's getting all sentimental up in this crib, decided to not act on Narots bond, since i don't want to infringe on unknown territory. Also attempting to see how the crowd is taking the performance so far, Custo has a reputation to live up to

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Nara

Nara nods at the mayor's words, and says "Well, it sounds like the Order has lied to us, so as far as I can tell, our arrangement with them is worth a little less than the air it used."

She leans back, and says "In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the others would be interested in teaching them a lesson in being good neighbors. Nothing too dramatic, I'm sure Bardakos can be convinced to pull his punches, just enough to humiliate the man in charge, maybe get some leveler heads running the show."

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Narot

'Huh. You're full of surprises, Custo.'

Only half watching the performance, Narot leans back in his chair and thinks about the past. All this talk of cults and gods combined with the alcohol is bringing back memories, memories he'd rather not have brought back. From his time as an accidental cultist, way back to memories of his parents, and the town of his birth. With effort, he pulls himself back to the present. What's done is done, no point wishing you'd acted differently now. Action will settle his thoughts. He leans over to Custo and whispers, so as not to distract him, 'I'm going outside, I need to clear my head. Those drinks must have been stronger than they looked.'

He stands, watches the end of Custo's performance from the doorway, out of respect for his companion, then turns and slowly walks out of the bar and down the main street. Seeing Bardakos chatting to some traders, Narot wanders towards him, giving a distracted nod of greeting. After waiting for their conversation to come to an end, he asks, 'Any luck with the mayor? Custo found an old friend in the bar, seemed to know something about the Order. Not much though, mainly that they're weird and worship a Sun God.'

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Vance

"What can you offer me for these?" Vance asks the young merchant holding up his bug jars between his index, middle and ring fingers. "Stick one in your ear and give another to a friend and you get telepathically linked for an hour, quite disgusting but might also be quite useful."

Vance also tries out to figure what the more obscure devices the saleswoman has on offer do.

Identifying numenera, specialized.: 1d20 14

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Bardakos

Bardakos nods at Narot. "Many men. Many gods. One made all, but he is silent, so the philosophers say."

Edit: As to the mental link, Bardakos wouldn't be one to talk about something like that, so it's up to Narot.

Friar John fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 10, 2013

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Bardakos

Love that description of Norou, by the by.

You attempt to get the price lower, but the merchant doesn't budge.

"No dice mate, can't go any cheaper. I already sell these pretty low, and a woman's gotta eat."

The girl snatches up the offered vial and hands you the box, giving a nod. "Thanks for the tech, basher!"

Vance

"Now that is a nice bit of Numenera! I can give you twenty shins for it, or you can take your pick of one of my cyphers. Otherwise you can take a few pounds of scrap, if you're the tinkering type."

The sphere seems familiar to you. You saw something a lot like it some years back, a traveling entertainer had cobbled together bits of technology and rigged them to enact a music and light show as he acted out some archaic play on the street side. He was a terrible actor, but people were quite taken by the machine. You're sure the sphere is meant to put on a dazzling show, though it's exact contents are impossible to know without activating it.

Your trained eye catches something interesting on the chunk. It seems to be transparent, as you can faintly see swirling smoke contained inside. Like the sphere, you can't discern the true effect without use.

To the three outside

Hey... Was that a scream down the street?

A door slams against stone somewhere. A few seconds later a woman turns a corner far down the lane and speeds down towards the alehouse, running as fast as her thick skirts can carry her. She looks highly distressed.

"Gods above, somebody get the mayor! Me boys! Me darling boys!"

Custo

The crowd is entranced by the musical fight. Something even moderately better is sure to bring in tips.

"A story? That'd be pretty great. Just like old times, eh?"

Graddus adjusts his instrument yet again, and the strings re-tighten, some thinning out to fine strands. The strings shake slightly and slide along the device's amorphous shape until they form a coil around central spindle, not unlike a seashell. Graddus plucks out a few airy notes to test it, seemingly satisfied.

"Hope you can keep up, Custo. Break a servo out there."

Graddus begins, and the alehouse awaits the android's tale.

Okay! AzMiLion, you could technically give me an Intellect roll at 5, but you can entirely bypass the risk by writing a short tale for Custo to perform. If I really like it, you might receive an XP point. If it sucks, you'll probably get ale dumped on you. Both ways are perfectly acceptable, though the writing is of course a lot more fun. PS: The lyrics to Stairway To Heaven don't count unless you spin them into a story.

Nara

Harman's impressed. "Knew there was a right head on ya when you walked in, lass. You and your companions would certainly be welcome in Jutte any time if you dealt with them."

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Bardakos
Bardakos smiles under his mask - the woman was good at her business, and he did not begrudge her the trade. He gives her the customary gesture for ending a deal and quickly places the box in a secure bag, before he hears the screaming woman. He points towards the public house - "In there," he says loudly, probably just confirming what she already knew.

saberwulf posted:

Love that description of Norou, by the by.
I figure if Bardakos isn't talking, I might as well fill the post with something else then!

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Going for a visually impressive tale, Not the greatest at words myself.
As the two sword fighters make their way back to Custo they slowly dissolve, drawing the attention to the figure standing behind them, Custo engages his high cant voice and start to speak.
"Gents an Gals, get your Pals. Let me tell you all of the day.
The day that men stormed the skies and fought the gods, The tale of the Traitor King. In another time in another Age!"
With that said, Custo projects a landscape, of a dark world. Gone from the light of the gods, oddly familiar to himself.

"The gods had fallen from their grace, and the leaders of man strived for their place. The one-eyed king and his two sons, Hod and Baldr riding on wings of fire. Bolder than the Moon and brighter than the sun. They started the charge, The wild run."

Custo creates the image of two men, Winged with fire. Charging through the room, flying overhead the crowd, leaving a wispy trail of ash through the upper levels of the room.

"The two brothers charged the skies, exposed the gods and their so-called lies. Taunted the Lightning King and his kin. And with them they brought death to bring."

As Custo finishes the last sentence, Dark winged projections drop from the roof of the room. Charging the two firey forms in the room, swords drawn and greatly outnumbering them.

"The fought for days, The fought for nights. they fought for all that walked in the Light. They called for man, they called for the beasts. And from the Earth they took to the Skies."

Coming up out of the tables and between tankards, groups of winged men, men flying with jetpacks, creatures that look like great lizards and all kinds of things rise up. Each table has his own distinct group, with some men taking on the features of the people at the table. The men always liked that, to see themselves in battle.

"All lent their hand, from every land. The beasts and men. It began again!"

The swordsmen from the skies engage with the two winged men and the various other creatures and people in the room, fighting on the tables, and in the skies. Custo takes care to make sure that the men who wear the faces of the patrons do not fall in battle, no-one likes seeing themselves die.

"As the brothers fought the men of skies, the one eyed King revealed his own lies"

With a boomnig noise a man in golden armor, on a chariot of fire comes out of one of the walls, Charging directly at one of the firey men.
Engaging him in a sword fight, Charges and blows are echanged. With each blow sending waves of ash through the skies. Eventually Hod fails to block a blow in time and i struck down by the King, evaporating into a cloud of black smoke, as the Kings golden armor slowly turns black.

"With lies and deceit, The Kings betrayal is complete!
To become a god, He sacrificed his own son, Hod."

"The Betrayer King, and Baldr the Winged now clash together, their blades sing!"

The remaining fiery figure and the king clash with swords, each blow sending a shower of spark throughout the room. As Hod strikes down the Betrayer King.

"His love betrayed, His brothers lost. Hod will make peace, no matter the cost"

With that said, Hod appears to fly straight into the roof of the room, into a circle of light. Coming back down a moment later with several figures dressed in various styles of clothing, Robes, golden suits of armor. Custo changes his voice to a commanding tone, as the figure that fell from the roof speaks.

"Are we not the Children of Gods, Are we not their very kin? This mad war, It must not begin."
With that said The figures that are on the tables and in various places in the room move towards Hod and discard their weapons.
"Brothers, Sisters, Daughters, Sons. We should stand, and live as one."
WIth that, the images that Custo has been projecting slowly fade away, untill Hod fades at last.

Custo bows slightly and looks over the Graddus. "That one was always one of my favourites, It was good to perform with you again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Vance

"I'll take those." Vance says, indicating the beam circlet and the crystal chunk, while putting down the bug jars and an extra shin.

CYPHER DANGER!: 1d100+10 70 Ominous, but not immediately dangerous.

• Locked thread