Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Hi,
I am looking for some recommended Tablet/eReaders for freelance/office/travel use. I am an independent contractor so I both travel a lot, work from home, at night, and am an avid reader of newspaper and books while I also enjoy listening to the radio, podcasts and audiobooks.

So, requirements are reading (e)books, newspapers, listening to audiobooks/podcasts, long battery-life, comfortable to use and read for long periods of time, while travelling, also outside and at night, minor app usage is also plus, …
I suspect what I am looking for is something that is a blend between Kindle Oasis and an Android Tablet, a device which (as far as I know) does not exist.

However, I am wondering what other people use with similar needs. What devices would you recommend? Multiple? A compromise? Looking for input!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Kalenden posted:

Hi,
I am looking for some recommended Tablet/eReaders for freelance/office/travel use. I am an independent contractor so I both travel a lot, work from home, at night, and am an avid reader of newspaper and books while I also enjoy listening to the radio, podcasts and audiobooks.

So, requirements are reading (e)books, newspapers, listening to audiobooks/podcasts, long battery-life, comfortable to use and read for long periods of time, while travelling, also outside and at night, minor app usage is also plus, …
I suspect what I am looking for is something that is a blend between Kindle Oasis and an Android Tablet, a device which (as far as I know) does not exist.

However, I am wondering what other people use with similar needs. What devices would you recommend? Multiple? A compromise? Looking for input!

iPads are light and cheap enough to be the best all in one device for reading, audio stuff, and flexibility for other apps. The base model would work great, and imo at least, reading on it is plenty good. The only super strong use case (for me) for eink is bright sunlight, like bearch or pool, or maybe reading in bed if you're really sensitive to screen light. It is nicer to hold a Paperwhite for a while than an iPad for sure, but in practice I tend to rest whichever I'm reading on something else anyway so it isn't a big deal either way.

Otherwise, you are just looking at whatever Kindle you like best, plus a phone or cheap tablet for audio/other apps.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
My girlfriend is looking for a tablet that can just display large pdfs without chugging, has a reasonable battery life, and a large screen.

Also, we would like it to be alive 5 years from now.

Any non iPad suggestions? Looking at all options. Or even specific iPad models.

(Looking to replace carrying textbooks around campus)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just buy the iPad

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Seriously, the large iPad pro is so ridiculously overkill for that use case, and so pricey. Not everyone has that kind of money, I gather a student in particular might not.

I am looking for something like that, too, and the best match I've found is maybe a used Surface Pro 3. Didn't pull the trigger on one though, because none are available locally.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
no one suggested an ipad pro, just regular ipad. for $300 there isn't really anything close to it that will hold up for 5 years

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Seriously, the large iPad pro is so ridiculously overkill for that use case, and so pricey. Not everyone has that kind of money, I gather a student in particular might not.

I am looking for something like that, too, and the best match I've found is maybe a used Surface Pro 3. Didn't pull the trigger on one though, because none are available locally.

Diagonal display measurements can lie when you're dealing with different aspect ratios. You'd think that the SP3 and the big iPad Pro are comparable, right? After all, the Surface has a 12.0" display, and the iPad Pro has a 12.9" display - sounds like they're fairly close in size. The new cheap iPad is obviously much smaller at 10.2".

But, the Surface's display is 3:2 and the iPads are 4:3. If you're using it for PDFs, portrait-mode width is usually the critical dimension, because horizontal scrolling is a pain and vertical scrolling is pretty natural. With the display diagonal, the aspect ratios, and some high school trigonometry, we can run the numbers:

The big iPad is definitely the winner at 7.7 inches. No surprise.
Next up is, yes, the SP3 with a display that's 6.6" wide.
But the cheap iPad is within half an inch of the SP3 - it's 6.1" wide. Even though the diagonal measurement isn't all that close, it dedicates a lot more screen area to width than height when it's in portrait mode.

And, the cheap iPad comes with a warranty, and no questions about previous-owner abuse.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Thanks for doing the math, dude, I didn't feel up to it with the Imperial conversion and everything.

Not every reading use case is the same, though. In my case, I want to read sheet music, where vertical scrolling is as much a pain as horizontal. I can't spare a hand to scroll while playing, but tapping the screen once to turn a page is fine.

I know some musicians who use the iPad Pro and music looks terrific on them so clearly those are "big enough". Weight is also fine to put on a music stand. It's just way more than I can justify spending. I can probably print my music on paper for 150 years, throwing it all in the bin after each gig, and spend less.

A friend opted for a huge 13" Sony e-ink reader, and it looks glorious and has a pen for scribbling on it.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/digital-paper-notepads/dpt-series
But it has several drawbacks, the chief one being that it can *only* display PDFs. As in, it does not run an OS you can break out to and run a sheet music app, there is only the PDF reader. If you have a set list of 25 songs that you want to page through quickly, you need to sit down on your PC and merge 25 PDF files into a big file and upload it to the reader. Then, if your set changes unexpectedly, you're hosed. (Also costs more than a laptop and is not available in Europe so no warranty for private imports.)

The Surface 3 is bordering on too heavy, and now I know it's also not really all that large. Surface 4 same size.

There are a lot of Windows 10 tabletoids that would probably work, but I'd probably have to spring for a new one and many are the same price as the iPad Pro. And many don't have note-taking pens.

Ideally I would still like an Android tablet at 13", with a pen, of a brand that I have heard of and warranty. Alternatively an E-ink reader that isn't crippled like the Sony. But I don't think either of those exists?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If I wanted a tablet that would be good for five years, but also not ridiculously expensive, I'd get an iPad Air. (This is only expensive, but not ridiculously so.)

Apple sticking with the A10 in the base iPad is a weird decision and I'm not sure I'd trust it to have five years of life left.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

If I wanted a tablet that would be good for five years, but also not ridiculously expensive, I'd get an iPad Air. (This is only expensive, but not ridiculously so.)

Apple sticking with the A10 in the base iPad is a weird decision and I'm not sure I'd trust it to have five years of life left.

The A10fusion is still about equal to the chip in the Samsung Note 10 (Exynos 9825) and 5-10% faster than the Snapdragon 855 so its probably fine.

Hopefully it has 3GB of RAM though.

Apple is really far ahead in processors

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So I found this e-ink reader that at least runs Android.

https://onyxboox.com/boox_max3

The Max 3 runs Android 9, the older Max 2 runs Android 6. The prices are pretty wild but not quite where the large iPad Pro is. I guess if a used 2 comes up, I'll snag it. Looks perfect for my use case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lube banjo posted:

The A10fusion is still about equal to the chip in the Samsung Note 10 (Exynos 9825) and 5-10% faster than the Snapdragon 855 so its probably fine.

Hopefully it has 3GB of RAM though.

Apple is really far ahead in processors
I'm aware it's a very fast chip. I mean more that I don't know if Apple will continue supporting it for five years as the SOC will be 8 years old at that point.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I'm aware it's a very fast chip. I mean more that I don't know if Apple will continue supporting it for five years as the SOC will be 8 years old at that point.

I dunno, general OS/support lifespan for their products seem to be 5 years. Product just came out last week so its probably safe

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone put together a knock off Switch for pc game streaming? I use my Switch on the couch while watching tv a lot and figured one of these IPEGA tablet controllers and a cheap android tablet would give me a vaguely Switch like experience for my Steam games and maybe some emulators. Any specific < $200 android tablet worth keeping an eye out for?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I want an ˜10" tablet for Internet/Word/Excel/OneNote with physical keyboard and pen capabilites. The Surface Go does exactly what I want but it was pretty slow and laggy when I played with one at Best Buy. I've read that comment in reviews also so it probably wasn't just a display model issue. Are there any tablets that are basically a Surface Go but not slow?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

withak posted:

I want an ˜10" tablet for Internet/Word/Excel/OneNote with physical keyboard and pen capabilites. The Surface Go does exactly what I want but it was pretty slow and laggy when I played with one at Best Buy. I've read that comment in reviews also so it probably wasn't just a display model issue. Are there any tablets that are basically a Surface Go but not slow?

Are you tied to that exact size/price range? You could step up to the Surface Pro, or look around the various 13" 2-in-1 convertible options. Refurb/outlet discounts are available if you're price sensitive.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

isndl posted:

Are you tied to that exact size/price range? You could step up to the Surface Pro, or look around the various 13" 2-in-1 convertible options. Refurb/outlet discounts are available if you're price sensitive.

I liked that size because it felt more portable than my laptop.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

withak posted:

Depending on what you want to do in office, iPads and Apple pencils work great with OneNote.

Built in text recognition isn’t as good as with windows though.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

withak posted:

Depending on what you want to do in office, iPads and Apple pencils work great with OneNote.

Built in text recognition isn’t as good as with windows though.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So good I said it thrice.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm allergic to first-gen Apple products, and the Pencil 2 doesn't work with the 10" iPad. :-/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How is Office on Android? Are there any 10" Android tablets with a pen and keyboard that won't send all of my personal information to China?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I am looking for a cheap (~$200) tablet or maybe 2in1 with 10+" screen. Main uses reading pdfs, dumb forums, youtube, keeping notes, etc. Option for a keyboard would be nice.

I saw a Galaxy Tab A on slickdeals for $200 with free $50 gift card on amazon. Seems decent for what it is but not sure if I should wait for other Black Friday stuff.
https://slickdeals.net/f/13535815-samsung-galaxy-tab-a-10-1-32-gb-2-gb-ram-wifi-tablet-black-2019-w-50-amazon-gift-card-202?src=catpagev2

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think the bigger question is are there any modern tablets that are less than 10" so that you don't have to pay a subscription fee just to use Microsoft Office? Or are last gen 9.7" iPads the absolute best you can get?

All the Galaxy Tabs are now 10.5" and the new iPads are now 10.2" and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 12, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The United States posted:

I think the bigger question is are there any modern tablets that are less than 10" so that you don't have to pay a subscription fee just to use Microsoft Office? Or are last gen 9.7" iPads the absolute best you can get?

All the Galaxy Tabs are now 10.5" and the new iPads are now 10.2" and I don't think that's a coincidence.
There's also the iPad Mini, but using Office on that doesn't really sound ideal.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Kindle fires still the go-to cheap android tablets? Any model to stay away from or to favour? How's the new 10" one?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Kindle fires still the go-to cheap android tablets? Any model to stay away from or to favour? How's the new 10" one?

I just ordered one for ~$16 and change after signing up for an Amazon store card to get free $60 gift card balance and trading in a 2015 Fire 7 tablet for $10 credit + 20% off new tablet purchase. Lol.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Been looking into getting a new tablet - any recommendations?

Main usage would be RPG stuff - DM tools, lots of big-rear end PDFs, etc. Rest of the time I use it for streaming (Netflix mostly).

I currently have an old iPad 2 which does ok, but for the bigger PDFs it can take ages to fully load a page. Optimally something 10".

I've been looking at Kindle Fire but for some reason the Fire 10 is still not available in my country.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just get the basic IPad. It's on sale for $250 basically everywhere

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Anyone recommend me an Android tablet around the $300-$400 range that has a USB port?

Main use is watching downloaded movies when I'm at the gym or traveling.

I've been looking at the Galaxy Tab A 128GB. Any good or anything better out there?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
All Android tablets are going to have some sort of USB port for charging?

The S5e is a step up from the A and still in your price range.

You could also look at the MediaPad M5, which has two different screen sizes depending on how portable you want to go.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
hey sorry, hope this is the right thread, I already asked in the art thread but I want a good art tablet thing. I'm not technologically inclined, I just want a little hobby thing to replace my pad and pencils. just something I can carry with me wherever and draw something.
anything above $1,000 and I'll feel very guilty, i'm going to rest a drink on it at one point, this is not a professional endeavor.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

This is the thread for you.

E: not that you're wrong to ask here

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get whatever the best iPad you're comfortable spending money on is, plus the appropriate Pencil for it.

If you make me give specific recs, either an iPad Air or 11" Pro. The latter has been on sale for $600ish for the base configuration, though you'd probably want the higher storage capacity.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Flipperwaldt posted:

This is the thread for you.

E: not that you're wrong to ask here
yeah, i had second thoughts about that being a wacom specific thread so I thought i'd branch out, sorry.

Endless Mike posted:

Get whatever the best iPad you're comfortable spending money on is
See "best" trips me up, I can't define "best".

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

InsertPotPun posted:

yeah, i had second thoughts about that being a wacom specific thread so I thought i'd branch out, sorry.

See "best" trips me up, I can't define "best".

The Pros have a better , edge to edge screen, more graphics / processing power, and the Apple Pencil Gen 2 has some better accuracy or features or whatever (I’m not a design or artist person at all).

For art, and for something you probably will keep 3-4 years, I would agree and say find a sale on a 256GB 11” Pro.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I became a lot less interested in how constricted iOS was compared to Android as soon as I realized how easy it was to offload those tasks to a remote machine (ie, torrenting, etc)

Chrome remote desktop app works pretty darn well too.

Basically what I'm saying is I'm not an apple fan but iPads rule :shrug:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Duckman2008 posted:

The Pros have a better , edge to edge screen, more graphics / processing power, and the Apple Pencil Gen 2 has some better accuracy or features or whatever (I’m not a design or artist person at all).

For art, and for something you probably will keep 3-4 years, I would agree and say find a sale on a 256GB 11” Pro.
I appreciate that, thank you. there are so many ipads.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I’m strongly considering moving from my current iPad Air 2 and IPhone to Android devices.
The tablet I would mainly be using at home for web browsing, social media, watching videos and reading both books and comics. The main thing I’m looking for is the possibility of increasing the storage with a 1tb micro SD card if possible and a good screen, battery life is less of an issue since I’d be able to just plug it in to the wall. I’m looking at the Samsung s5e, I’m assuming the £150ish stuff isn’t really worth it, since the SD card is pretty expensive I'd like to stick around £300 at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Anime_Otaku posted:

I’m strongly considering moving from my current iPad Air 2 and IPhone to Android devices.
The tablet I would mainly be using at home for web browsing, social media, watching videos and reading both books and comics. The main thing I’m looking for is the possibility of increasing the storage with a 1tb micro SD card if possible and a good screen, battery life is less of an issue since I’d be able to just plug it in to the wall. I’m looking at the Samsung s5e, I’m assuming the £150ish stuff isn’t really worth it, since the SD card is pretty expensive I'd like to stick around £300 at most.

I've done Android tablets since the Acer A500 back in the day. I've owned probably 10 or so over the years. I just bought my first iPad two weeks ago, and I'm never going back to an Android tablet. Android works better on phones, they aren't making any real "tablet" specific improvements at the OS level, and the fact that there are so few makers and each one is running a bespoke version leads to very few apps that aren't just phone apps scaled up. If you want it for just straight media consumption, a Samsung one would be fine, if not overkill. Hell, a big Fire tablet would do what you are looking for.

For phones, I'm still Android through and through. But for tablets, Apple just kills it.