Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

E: re this post:

The Dell one comes with Windows 8 which, besides the specs, strongly indicates it was made ca. 2013. The battery in it can't possibly be good anymore. These things were priced similarly at the time btw. I'm going to agree that while 2 gb ram and an atom cpu will be enough to run the OS, it's not enough to run even a webbrowser on top of it at this point.

I think you can pick up a used surface pro for a bit more? Or something from the lenovo yoga line where you can fold away the keyboard as a tablet stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy
I'm looking at getting an android tablet to use primarily for reading comics, streaming, and dicking around on the forums. I don't really need anything too beefy, I've already got a laptop that's more than enough to handle any actual work I want to do. I'd prefer something with a microSD slot so I can expand storage, and bluetooth. If travel ever gets safe again, I'd like to be able to load it up with netflix downloads for the flight or whatever.

I've been looking at the 64 gb Samsung Galaxy Tab A7, which is currently $209 at Sam's Club.

For my uses, will this be enough? Like I said, I don't need anything super top of the line, but I also don't want to end up furious at a slow sloggy tablet. Or should I just get a kindle?

*edit* It's less that the ipad is out of my price range, and more that I don't really want an iOS device. I'd prefer something with expandable memory, since I already have a 256gb mSD card sitting around, and I'm already set up / familiar with android.

Hayden fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 4, 2021

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The Kindle Fire tablets I've tried have been slow enough that I don't use them over a phone, so I wouldn't go there probably. Like watching videos or reading will be fine, but even something like browsing the internet is kind of annoying because of lag at reacting to scrolling and clicking stuff. If a 1-3 year old 128gb base iPad is not enough storage or out of your price range, that Galaxy tab seems fine for basic watching and reading at least.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hayden posted:

I'm looking at getting an android tablet to use primarily for reading comics, streaming, and dicking around on the forums. I don't really need anything too beefy, I've already got a laptop that's more than enough to handle any actual work I want to do. I'd prefer something with a microSD slot so I can expand storage, and bluetooth. If travel ever gets safe again, I'd like to be able to load it up with netflix downloads for the flight or whatever.

I've been looking at the 64 gb Samsung Galaxy Tab A7, which is currently $209 at Sam's Club.

For my uses, will this be enough? Like I said, I don't need anything super top of the line, but I also don't want to end up furious at a slow sloggy tablet. Or should I just get a kindle?

*edit* It's less that the ipad is out of my price range, and more that I don't really want an iOS device. I'd prefer something with expandable memory, since I already have a 256gb mSD card sitting around, and I'm already set up / familiar with android.

I use it and don’t have any problems of sluggishness. I also put LineageOS on it and it uses significantly less RAM in normal use, if you want to go down that rabbit hole. The screen is really great, but the speakers aren’t great.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
My primary use is reading comic books, with occasional web browsing / email / very light document editing. No games, no videos, streaming, or other apps.

I'm leaning towards that Lenovo Duet. I like that it has a 16:10 screen, the 2-in-1 novelty, and long term software support. Just two questions for any Duet owners here:

1. Several reviews mention the fact that you can't turn off auto-rotate in ChromeOS in tablet mode, which would be a dealbreaker. Is that accurate, or has it been fixed recently? I do most of my reading in bed while holding the tablet at all sorts of stupid angles.

2. Is a typical comic page easy to read in portrait mode?

My fallback would probably be something like the Tab M10 Plus. A little cheaper, slightly bigger screen. Samsung's stuff all seems to have wider aspect ratios, which aren't good for comics. If the Surface Go 2 was a bit cheaper and had better battery life I'd probably jump on that.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

My primary use is reading comic books, with occasional web browsing / email / very light document editing. No games, no videos, streaming, or other apps.

I'm leaning towards that Lenovo Duet. I like that it has a 16:10 screen, the 2-in-1 novelty, and long term software support. Just two questions for any Duet owners here:

1. Several reviews mention the fact that you can't turn off auto-rotate in ChromeOS in tablet mode, which would be a dealbreaker. Is that accurate, or has it been fixed recently?

2. Is a typical comic page easy to read in portrait mode?

1. Looking at mine right now, and rotation locking works in tablet mode.

2. I mean, do you consider a 10 inch display big enough? Because that's what it is. Seems plenty big for my primary use, Twitch and YouTube.

FWIW, my only real gripe with it is underpowered speakers, which doesn't sound like a problem for your use case.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Hayden posted:

crepeface posted:

fyi the samsung tab a7 is performing as expected (badly). interface is a bit laggy, multi-tasking is doable, but not great and the screen is an okay lcd. it's fine for a cheap tablet to give to a kid or an old (unless they want to play games)

it's probably fine for your purposes. screen can be a bit low ppi for comic text depending on your source/blindness.

I didn't flash any ROMs, I might try that if it stops suiting my needs.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Hayden posted:

need tablet for streaming, forums, reading

I'm in a similar situation, although I use my tablet a little more for reading and light document work/Google Drive. I currently have an Asus Zen tablet which is a few years old now and pretty slow. It runs fine once it gets into the current process but if you ask it to do something like change tasks or go back to the home screen it shits the bed hard. Definitely my biggest issue is how it crawls whenever I try to do something. I was looking at an Galaxy A as well since it's around/sub $200 and has expandable storage. But Crepeface's account is giving me second thoughts.

crepeface posted:

A7 is slow and laggy

Any other recommendations for tablets that won't go to poo poo after the first month?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm also looking at the Lenovo Duet, does anyone know if you can get a splitter for the USB port that will allow you to charge it while it's connected to headphones (via the included USB-C to 3.5mm adapter)? I'm not sure how that works for a port that would be serving as both an "input" device (power) and an "output" devices (audio) .

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm also looking at the Lenovo Duet, does anyone know if you can get a splitter for the USB port that will allow you to charge it while it's connected to headphones (via the included USB-C to 3.5mm adapter)? I'm not sure how that works for a port that would be serving as both an "input" device (power) and an "output" devices (audio) .

Yes, this is standard for USB-C laptops and tablets.

I’d get a small dock like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07ZVKTP53/

You plug the power adapter into the “PD” USB-C port, and it charges the host system. You can plug storage, input devices, an audio adapter, or whatever into the other USB ports, use an external display, etc. There are a bunch of other pocket hubs out there for $25-50 with different port configurations if you need VGA, want audio out on the hub, need Ethernet, or whatever else.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

I'm looking for an android tablet that will last at least a year. What's the best one for $200 or lower. Thanks.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Spacegrass posted:

I'm looking for an android tablet that will last at least a year. What's the best one for $200 or lower. Thanks.

Kindle Fire.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
"Recommend Me a Tablet: iPad or Kindle Fire are the only things now"

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
What is a good android tablet for viewing in direct sunlight?

Some article I read suggests it's the galaxy 10.1 tablet. https://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_Brightness_ShootOut_1.htm#lux_40K. Is this accurate in your opinion?
Second, if "yes" to the first question, is this a Galaxy 10.1 ? https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Refurbished-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-A-10-1-32GB-Gold-Wi-Fi-SM-T510NZDAXAC/PRD45G4JZ5ZCT2U Or is it a Galaxy A which happens to measure 10.1 inches ? I don't know tablets.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

DreadLlama posted:

What is a good android tablet for viewing in direct sunlight?

Some article I read suggests it's the galaxy 10.1 tablet. https://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_Brightness_ShootOut_1.htm#lux_40K. Is this accurate in your opinion?
Second, if "yes" to the first question, is this a Galaxy 10.1 ? https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Refurbished-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-A-10-1-32GB-Gold-Wi-Fi-SM-T510NZDAXAC/PRD45G4JZ5ZCT2U Or is it a Galaxy A which happens to measure 10.1 inches ? I don't know tablets.

Dude, is that an article from 2012?

quote:

Copyright © 1990-2012 by DisplayMate Technologies Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Incidentally, I think the Galaxy Tab A might have been released around that time, so it might indeed be the same product... Steer clear. No matter what price point you find it at, it will not be a useful tablet.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Going back to that first question then. What's a good tablet for looking at in direct sunlight in 2021?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

DreadLlama posted:

Going back to that first question then. What's a good tablet for looking at in direct sunlight in 2021?

Anything with an e-ink display, like a Kindle (not a Fire tablet, a Kindle). Hope you’re OK with a sub-1hz B&W display. Aside from that, they don’t exist.

LCDs and OLED displays work by emitting light. When they’re directly lit, they need to put out more light than they reflect from the external light source. Needless to say, when the external light source is direct sunlight, that means you need an exceptionally high brightness output. While there are some tablets that can get to very high peak brightness for HDR content, they generally can’t light up the whole screen with it for long - power consumption and heat output mean the display will back off on brightness quickly so it doesn’t cook itself. High-end monitors that are designed to display static HDR content are hardwired to wall power and have cooling fans.

There were a few attempts to build “transflective” displays that could work in direct sunlight, but the displays were crap for other reasons and the hardware is a decade old anyway. If you’re looking for industrial hardware and are OK paying deep into four figures per unit, you might be able to find something with that display technology, but it flopped on the consumer market.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you need to use it outdoors you may have luck with a matte finished screen protector. Clarity and brightness will take a hit, but it can cut down on the glare significantly.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
So just any tablet, but put a screen cover on it? I mean that's what I do with my ipad and it works ok. But I need an android to run the Q ground control app. Are all screens pretty much created equal nowadays?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DreadLlama posted:

So just any tablet, but put a screen cover on it? I mean that's what I do with my ipad and it works ok. But I need an android to run the Q ground control app. Are all screens pretty much created equal nowadays?

If this is for drone flying, a shade/hood is going to be pivotal too.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I've got one of those shade things for an fpv monitor. I hadn't thought to look for them in tablet size. That's a good idea.

The drone thread has been pretty adamant that all in one ground stations (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002509303013.html) are worse at doing their job than a tablet, monitor & separate controller would be. I think this is true, but also think that it's possible to buy a tablet that has a worse display than whatever one is embedded in the CUAV / SIYI controller I linked.

I guess what I'm asking is whether I can get a better display in a tablet than in an all-in-one for less than the price of an all-in-one plus a radio controller.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You can probably look up the nits ratings of individual options, pick out whichever is highest. Gonna burn the hell out of the battery running a high-nit display at max though.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

If you’re using a display bright enough to read in direct sunlight while in direct sunlight wouldn’t it likely overheat anyway?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

This might not be the best thread for this question, but I was reading this article on e-ink tablet notetakers and I wanted to know if anyone in here has any experience with the Remarkable 2 or the boox.

I hadn't even been following e-ink tablet development for a long time and it really captured my interest.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

gently caress. I just moved into a new house, and the first thing my four year old did was to break my iPad which he used to stream stuff, which in turn is kinda important right now with the changes. So, what's the best replacement? We use it exclusively for streaming, and I guess it would be nice with some kind of padding. I don't want to pay for a lot of features, but I also want it to last decently long.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Grab previous year's iPad or something? They tend to be cheaper.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

El Mero Mero posted:

This might not be the best thread for this question, but I was reading this article on e-ink tablet notetakers and I wanted to know if anyone in here has any experience with the Remarkable 2 or the boox.

I hadn't even been following e-ink tablet development for a long time and it really captured my interest.

Just want to say that I bit the bullet on this and it's my new favorite device. It's a great e-reader too, which isn't why I even picked it up.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

El Mero Mero posted:

Just want to say that I bit the bullet on this and it's my new favorite device. It's a great e-reader too, which isn't why I even picked it up.

Which one did you get?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Wibla posted:

Which one did you get?

Sorry, I got the remarkable 2.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Amazon has a kid friendly tablet that comes with a "if you break it, we'll replace it" guarantee, or they did, haven't looked into it recently

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hadlock posted:

Amazon has a kid friendly tablet that comes with a "if you break it, we'll replace it" guarantee, or they did, haven't looked into it recently

They still do this. However, I just got two new kids tablets for my kids during prime day, and they're even slower than usual. The kids profiles thing they put on there is just utterly a piece of slow buggy garbage. I can't even recommend these tablets as a budget option anymore. They are worthless.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

El Mero Mero posted:

Sorry, I got the remarkable 2.

also, I got a referral link from them today. So if anyone was planning on picking one up feel free to use this link for 4 x :10bux: off

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

also, I got a referral link from them today. So if anyone was planning on picking one up feel free to use this link for 4 x :10bux: off

How is it for note taking? I'm torn between the Remarkable and the Supernote.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Not gonna lie, the Supernote looks like a reMarkable 1 knockoff :v:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Wibla posted:

Not gonna lie, the Supernote looks like a reMarkable 1 knockoff :v:

Yeah, but most reviewers say it's far superior for note taking and it also has a ceramic nib pen that never wears down.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Devorum posted:

How is it for note taking? I'm torn between the Remarkable and the Supernote.

It's very very good. I've avoided tablet notetakers for years because the latency is usually not very good at all. It's slowly replacing all of my paper notebooks.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I currently have a Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact. It's served me well for many years, but it's having issues with starting up; the charger port cover is broken and it's impossible to find a decent case for it anymore.

I'm willing to replace it but I have had issues - I tried a Samsung Galaxy Tab A but it was noticeably heavier and I tried a Lenovo Tab M8 but the speakers were awful: I mainly use my tablet for watching videos in landscape and the audio for the M8 only appeared to come out one side.

Anyone have any recommendations for an 8" tablet (that isn't an iPad) or should I bite the bullet and go for a 10" one?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What are the Android tablets of choice for Youtube, internet browsing and emails? It's for a ~55 year old lady who is not technical at all so it would be nice if the OS didn't have too many weird issues. 32GB of storage could be enough, but 2GB of ram could make be too little for decent performance? I don't want something that's slow at basic tasks.
In Europe so please no tablets with US specific software services.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass
Gonna recommend the Lenovo Chromebook Duet for most use cases. 10.1 screen, built-in kickstand, 4 GB RAM, gobs of battery life, detachable keyboard to bang out emails, plenty of power for general browsing and video watching, 250 USD

I use mine to watch Twitch and YouTube all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hey IYG I've been thinking about getting either a tablet or E-Reader since I got a massive pile of E-Books and PDF's from humble bundle and other sources that have gone unread because I lack a good mobile reader for them and I don't want to lug a laptop everywhere for it. Looking for something with decent battery life and good compatibility though I probably don't want something from Amazon or Apple. I don't really know where to start though since this would be my first one. :(