Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

E: re this post:

The Dell one comes with Windows 8 which, besides the specs, strongly indicates it was made ca. 2013. The battery in it can't possibly be good anymore. These things were priced similarly at the time btw. I'm going to agree that while 2 gb ram and an atom cpu will be enough to run the OS, it's not enough to run even a webbrowser on top of it at this point.

I think you can pick up a used surface pro for a bit more? Or something from the lenovo yoga line where you can fold away the keyboard as a tablet stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

I'm looking at getting an android tablet to use primarily for reading comics, streaming, and dicking around on the forums. I don't really need anything too beefy, I've already got a laptop that's more than enough to handle any actual work I want to do. I'd prefer something with a microSD slot so I can expand storage, and bluetooth. If travel ever gets safe again, I'd like to be able to load it up with netflix downloads for the flight or whatever.

I've been looking at the 64 gb Samsung Galaxy Tab A7, which is currently $209 at Sam's Club.

For my uses, will this be enough? Like I said, I don't need anything super top of the line, but I also don't want to end up furious at a slow sloggy tablet. Or should I just get a kindle?

*edit* It's less that the ipad is out of my price range, and more that I don't really want an iOS device. I'd prefer something with expandable memory, since I already have a 256gb mSD card sitting around, and I'm already set up / familiar with android.

Hayden fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 4, 2021

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Kindle Fire tablets I've tried have been slow enough that I don't use them over a phone, so I wouldn't go there probably. Like watching videos or reading will be fine, but even something like browsing the internet is kind of annoying because of lag at reacting to scrolling and clicking stuff. If a 1-3 year old 128gb base iPad is not enough storage or out of your price range, that Galaxy tab seems fine for basic watching and reading at least.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012
jokes

Hayden posted:

I'm looking at getting an android tablet to use primarily for reading comics, streaming, and dicking around on the forums. I don't really need anything too beefy, I've already got a laptop that's more than enough to handle any actual work I want to do. I'd prefer something with a microSD slot so I can expand storage, and bluetooth. If travel ever gets safe again, I'd like to be able to load it up with netflix downloads for the flight or whatever.

I've been looking at the 64 gb Samsung Galaxy Tab A7, which is currently $209 at Sam's Club.

For my uses, will this be enough? Like I said, I don't need anything super top of the line, but I also don't want to end up furious at a slow sloggy tablet. Or should I just get a kindle?

*edit* It's less that the ipad is out of my price range, and more that I don't really want an iOS device. I'd prefer something with expandable memory, since I already have a 256gb mSD card sitting around, and I'm already set up / familiar with android.

I use it and donít have any problems of sluggishness. I also put LineageOS on it and it uses significantly less RAM in normal use, if you want to go down that rabbit hole. The screen is really great, but the speakers arenít great.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

My primary use is reading comic books, with occasional web browsing / email / very light document editing. No games, no videos, streaming, or other apps.

I'm leaning towards that Lenovo Duet. I like that it has a 16:10 screen, the 2-in-1 novelty, and long term software support. Just two questions for any Duet owners here:

1. Several reviews mention the fact that you can't turn off auto-rotate in ChromeOS in tablet mode, which would be a dealbreaker. Is that accurate, or has it been fixed recently? I do most of my reading in bed while holding the tablet at all sorts of stupid angles.

2. Is a typical comic page easy to read in portrait mode?

My fallback would probably be something like the Tab M10 Plus. A little cheaper, slightly bigger screen. Samsung's stuff all seems to have wider aspect ratios, which aren't good for comics. If the Surface Go 2 was a bit cheaper and had better battery life I'd probably jump on that.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

My primary use is reading comic books, with occasional web browsing / email / very light document editing. No games, no videos, streaming, or other apps.

I'm leaning towards that Lenovo Duet. I like that it has a 16:10 screen, the 2-in-1 novelty, and long term software support. Just two questions for any Duet owners here:

1. Several reviews mention the fact that you can't turn off auto-rotate in ChromeOS in tablet mode, which would be a dealbreaker. Is that accurate, or has it been fixed recently?

2. Is a typical comic page easy to read in portrait mode?

1. Looking at mine right now, and rotation locking works in tablet mode.

2. I mean, do you consider a 10 inch display big enough? Because that's what it is. Seems plenty big for my primary use, Twitch and YouTube.

FWIW, my only real gripe with it is underpowered speakers, which doesn't sound like a problem for your use case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Hayden posted:

crepeface posted:

fyi the samsung tab a7 is performing as expected (badly). interface is a bit laggy, multi-tasking is doable, but not great and the screen is an okay lcd. it's fine for a cheap tablet to give to a kid or an old (unless they want to play games)

it's probably fine for your purposes. screen can be a bit low ppi for comic text depending on your source/blindness.

I didn't flash any ROMs, I might try that if it stops suiting my needs.