Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

Depending on your budget, I'd suggest maybe a previous generation base iPad or iPad mini

Why iPad over Kindle Fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

As someone who owns a current generation Fire HD8: they're like night and day in terms of experience. Even the A12 in a previous generation iPad Mini will absolutely blow away the Fire (never mind the A15 in the current one), and it has a brighter, higher-resolution screen, which is actually useful for reading things on. The Fire is dogshit slow and you're constantly reminded that you're using a device made by an online store that wants to sell you things.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

Because tablets are mostly media consumption devices - it's not like your PC or a workhorse device or whatever - you want a nice screen and a fast and snappy experience which feels nice to hold, and the poster wants an interface that doesn't lag or feel like you're fighting against it, which is iPadOS in a nutshell. It's the thing you get for trading the openness of android (although are Kindles that open?)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kindles are completely closed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think every current gen iPad except the "standard" 10.1, at this point, all have USB-C ports now, so unless you have a really specific app that's only on android you probably won't notice that it's an apple device since all the cables are the same for charging now. You can get chrome, netflix, hulu, prime, kindle e-reader etc on ipad so you're probably not going to notice a huge difference.

I loathe apple mobile devices and that stupid lightning connector, but a USB-C iPad is a great device even for a PC/Android user

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nah, Kindles Fire let you sideload apps and you can install the Google Play Store and services easily, but that doesn't change it's dogshit slow with a mediocre screen.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Looking to replace my aging 2012 Nexus 7 and it seems like I can get a Galaxy Tab A7 Lite for $80 with trade-in. I'm pretty sure the upgrade is worth it, but my question is if it's worth spending the extra $20 to upgrade the storage from 32->64GB, which also apparently upgrades the RAM from 3->4GB?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm looking to upgrade from my 7-year-old Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T350.

The main thing I use the tablet for is reading The Economist in their app every morning. I also use it for movies on long airplane or train trips, and the occasional bit of web browsing and other basic tablet stuff. A few months ago The Economist overhauled their app and the new version is buggy and slow and prone to hanging and crashing. I've sent several negative replies to their occasional "Are you enjoying using the app?" pop-ups detailing these problems but I've seen no improvements. I suspect a newer-generation processor and other hardware would help with some of these issues, but I'm not certain.

What I want is a more responsive tablet, that doesn't sit there on a half-loaded page for 20 seconds or 2 minutes or forever, failing to react to anything I do except drop to the home screen and close all apps, then restart the app.

My confusion stems mainly from the published specs for tablets. They all mention their ram and processor speed along with how many cores the processor has. I assume that more is better for all of these numbers, but I don't see any large and obvious improvements over my 7-year-old device - it has 1.5 GB ram and a 1.2 GHz quad-core processor (Qualcomm APQ 8016). Most of the current 8-inch tablets I can find have 2.0 GB ram and something around 1.8 to 2.0 GHz processor, sometimes 4x sometimes 8x.

Can somebody please reassure me that a new processor would run rings around my older processor even at the same raw GHz benchmark?

I'm currently considering the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite 8.7" Wi-Fi 32GBGrey SM-T220NZAAXSA and the Lenovo Tab M8 8" HD Tablet ZA5G0036AU
I'm in Australia if that matters. Prices are about $240 for the Tab A7 vs about $200 for the Lenovo. So that's about my budget - under $300 AUD.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Looking to replace my aging 2012 Nexus 7 and it seems like I can get a Galaxy Tab A7 Lite for $80 with trade-in. I'm pretty sure the upgrade is worth it, but my question is if it's worth spending the extra $20 to upgrade the storage from 32->64GB, which also apparently upgrades the RAM from 3->4GB?
Different situation but I'm also interested in opinions about those increases - 64GB and 4GB for a few dollars more.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BoldFace posted:

I've never heard of a tablet that claims to have GPS support but does not have the actual receiver chip. Can you give an example? If you know the model number of the chipset a tablet uses, you can simply look up the specs on the manufacturer's website to see if it has a GPS/GNSS receiver.

Technically I can imagine a tablet that has the chip (or rather has the capability built into the SoC) - but not the antenna connected to make it actually work. Sure I remember some hardware years ago that was the same but Bluetooth - with hacked firmware you could enable it despite the device not claiming to support it, but you wouldn't get very good performance.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Update that nobody cares about: I went to a local shop, and tried to buy the Samsung, but they were out of stock. I had a chance to fondle the tablets on their security cords and I thought the Lenovo M8 seemed small. Later, I was about to buy the Samsung on Amazon (local shops were given their chance, but failed, so on to the evil online empire). But, there were a couple of quite negative reviews that hit close to home for me - one person said that the A7 Lite was actually worse than the Galaxy Tab A they were coming from - exactly my device.

The Lenovo is available at several local shops so I bought one the other day. It's screen is exactly the same size as my Tab A (8 inches corner-to-corner), but the Tab A has more non-screen real estate surrounding the screen, and a set of physical buttons on the lower edge, so it's slightly bigger overall. Nobody in town had any generic cases that would fit the M8 so I bought one on Amazon. In the meantime, I can use the generic case my Tab A was in, there are enough elastic bands to accommodate a few different outside dimensions. I find a tablet to be completely impossible to use without a case - how do you hold on to a thin wafer that's all screen on one side, and slippery smooth metal on all other sides?

The M8 is great, does what I want it to do.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey gang! I'm looking for a tablet that has a large screen and one which I'll primarily use for reading books and doing some Internet stuff, watching movies. I don't plan on using it for games really.

Is there any reason I should not buy something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Android-Storage-Tablets-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B0B2RN7SMD/ref=sr_1_6?

quote:

Android Tablet 10 Inch Tablet, 64GB Storage Tablets, Android 11 Tablet, 512GB Expand, 8MP Camera, Quad-Core Processor 2GB RAM WiFi 6000MAH Battery 10.1'' IPS HD Touch Screen Google Tableta (Black Tab)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's a generic tablet that costs less than 1/2 what a name-brand android tablet costs (Lenovo, Samsung, there are a couple of others). It's probably worth the gamble if $70 is not going to dent your disposable income in a significant way. It might be a frustrating waste of time and money, but probably not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Hey gang! I'm looking for a tablet that has a large screen and one which I'll primarily use for reading books and doing some Internet stuff, watching movies. I don't plan on using it for games really.

Is there any reason I should not buy something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Android-Storage-Tablets-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B0B2RN7SMD/ref=sr_1_6?

It just depends on what you want to do in terms of price versus quality.

Like, I don’t recognize the brand. So outside of the whole “it’s cheap, it’ll be slow,” I also would say I doubt the thing will ever get software or security updates. And even for basic web
Browsing , security updates are nice so someone doesn’t steal whatever of your info from a crappy $70 tab.

My personal recommendation for anyone with tabs is to get a used / refurbished base iPad. I get you don’t want to spend a lot of money , but you know, it’s still good to get something functional. Plus it’ll last longer so you aren’t buying a 2nd $70 not great tablet in 2 years or whatever.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah we bought an iPad air 4th gen when they came out fall of 2020. All the new ipads have USB-C charging so it's not as big a deal that it's an apple product. It's great build quality and lightning fast, a refurbished model will save you a ton of money. I hate apple products but iPad is king

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

Yeah we bought an iPad air 4th gen when they came out fall of 2020. All the new ipads have USB-C charging so it's not as big a deal that it's an apple product. It's great build quality and lightning fast, a refurbished model will save you a ton of money. I hate apple products but iPad is king

Note only the Air and Pro have USB-C the basic iPad is still lightning. I forget if the Mini is USB-C or Lightning. Still that tablet looks like trash, I'd probably go with a Amazon Fire Tablet if an iPad is too much.

EDIT: VVVVV If you have a USB-C iPad you can plug in an external drive and it will work most anywhere. At least the Files app can see it

gariig fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 23, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If iPads supported microSD or even any kind of expandable storage at all they’d be perfect tablets.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The HP Tablet 11 is on sale for $200 at Best Buy, and I'm tempted. My sole use case is reading comics, so a 3:2 aspect ratio 2160x1440 screen at this size seems great. It basically looks like a slightly better Surface Go 3 for much less.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That sounds like a hell of a deal.

It’s hard to find a comics tablet that isn’t stupidly expensive for such a totally basic and easy use case.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

If iPads supported microSD or even any kind of expandable storage at all they’d be perfect tablets.

Yeah as pointed out, with the USB-C models you can just get a generic USB-C to micro SD adapter, alternatively you can get a micro USBC thumb drive, picked this $20 version at random

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MUF-128AB-AM-Plus-128GB/dp/B07D7PDLXC/

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah but then you have to have a stupid thing hanging out the side all the time and you can’t charge it with your storage connected

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
the expandable storage complaint made sense when ipads had 16gb of storage and you could put a 128gb sd card in your lovely android tablet but apple sells ipads with 256gb now or up to 2tb if you get the pro model

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh yeah I forgot that paying an extra 10x or more of the cost of the storage to have it built in so you can’t just swap it out for a bigger option in the future, or even just swap in a completely different card if you have more than one that you want to use, is totally a cool and perfect solution.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
internal storage:
you don't have to fiddle with it
faster
more durable
fewer ingress points for water/dirt
only option for the ipad, the best tablet by almost every metric

sd cards:
allows you to carry your entire anime collection with you on tiny plastic cards

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You need to join/create a private digital library, my friend

Me and like three other meatspace people have a SFTP server + calibre server

Pull that poo poo right down to local storage either via browser or inside calibre

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Is this also the thread to recommend a laptop bag to hold the laptop I just bought?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Is this also the thread to recommend a laptop bag to hold the laptop I just bought?

Sure why not. I think you might be the first person to ever suggest that in this thread, amazingly

I have been using variations of the amazon basics gray/charcoal felt sleeves for uh, 7 years now? Going on 8? That prevents lint and cookie crumbs from filling the ports/vents on my laptop, and prevents scratches which is really all you need. The seams provide the barest of drop protection.

If you need anything more than that, IMO, you bought the wrong laptop

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Inch-Macbook-Laptop-Sleeve/dp/B013TGFTDY

They're usually like $15-20 and come in at least three sizes, 11ish inches (chromebook), 13ish inches (13.3" macbook pro) and 15ish inches (15-16" macbook pro)

Targus and Swissgear dedicated bags still exist but business class laptops are so durable these days it's not really worth buying a whole specialized bag just for your laptop

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Just realized I posted this in the tablet thread and not the laptop thread. Oops!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I use a simple 13.3” neoprene cover with a zipper, made for laptops, for my Boox Max Lumi. I got it at some big box store. It does the same job as the felt cover above. But that’s a tablet, not a laptop! Well, it’s the tablet thread after all.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I've been rocking this cheapy sleeve randomly. It has survived 5 years, still going strong

https://a.co/d/bzfXAB4

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm getting more and more tired of being locked into the Apple walled garden that is my iPad Pro (m1), so I'm thinking of selling it. Already transitioned back to android, and the iPad is the only thing left. I was considering getting a laptop, but it's hard to get hold of anything that I want. My brother can get an Tab S8+ (256gb 5G) for $580 bucks for me using some massive discount he has access to. Bearing in mind that this isn't in the US where Samsung seem to be paying people to use their stuff, does it seem like a good deal? I've got a Samsung phone as well, so there's that integration as well.

I've gotten a laptop from work now anyway, and probably won't need a second one for myself anyway.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 5, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm getting more and more tired of being locked into the Apple walled garden that is my iPad Pro (m1), so I'm thinking of selling it. Already transitioned back to android, and the iPad is the only thing left. I was considering getting a laptop, but it's hard to get hold of anything that I want. My brother can get an Tab S8+ (256gb 5G) for $580 bucks for me using some massive discount he has access to. Bearing in mind that this isn't in the US where Samsung seem to be paying people to use their stuff, does it seem like a good deal? I've got a Samsung phone as well, so there's that integration as well.

I've gotten a laptop from work now anyway, and probably won't need a second one for myself anyway.

Android is still so terribly behind on tablet apps I just would never recommend one. I guess swap out for a surface or similar windows tablet. Def read reviews, the Surface for instance works fine, but I think there’s one or two meh models.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Duckman2008 posted:

Android is still so terribly behind on tablet apps I just would never recommend one. I guess swap out for a surface or similar windows tablet. Def read reviews, the Surface for instance works fine, but I think there’s one or two meh models.

I had a Surface Pro 3 when it was current and it was , to be frank, poo poo (and expensive). I checked out the Pro 8 and even the cheapest one is more than twice as much as the Tab S8+. But I guess you get a keyboard Nevermind, it's another $200 oof.
If Android is that horrible on tablets I think I'll skip it. I'd mainly use it for watching stuff, take notes, probably some lighter gaming e.t.c. Basically what my iPad pro ended up doing but at half the price.
I'll watch some more reviews. Thanks!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ChromeOS is better on tablets than Android. Take that as you may.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
That's so sad. My old nexus 7 was my favorite media device and I'm sure I'm not alone in missing it. I check this thread every time there's a burst of posts in hopes there's discussion about some new, decent ~8" Android tablet on the horizon. It baffles me that that niche has remained unfulfilled for so long.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

I had a Surface Pro 3 when it was current and it was , to be frank, poo poo (and expensive). I checked out the Pro 8 and even the cheapest one is more than twice as much as the Tab S8+. But I guess you get a keyboard Nevermind, it's another $200 oof.
If Android is that horrible on tablets I think I'll skip it. I'd mainly use it for watching stuff, take notes, probably some lighter gaming e.t.c. Basically what my iPad pro ended up doing but at half the price.
I'll watch some more reviews. Thanks!

Apparrently Android's getting a tablet focused revamp as part of Android 13 - including things that apple already does well like copy/paste between your phone and tablet. Should be more info about the Pixel tablets before the end of the year, if you're able to hold out.

But as others say, the quality of apps is just as important. I can't speak to that, but I do suffer through any mismatch between my Android phone and iPad pro because the iPad is just so together in terms of its apps and experience (even if stage manager - its new multitasking desktop-alike feature, needs a lot of work still).

Aside from missing out on little things like app hand off, iMessage and copy/paste between devices, I have found that the walled garden isn't as closed as you'd think. A lot of apps have their own cross-platform cloud stuff, Google has some pretty good widgets, etc. I'll probably end up swapping for an iphone as opposed to swapping for an android tablet though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

The Grumbles posted:

Apparrently Android's getting a tablet focused revamp as part of Android 13 - including things that apple already does well like copy/paste between your phone and tablet. Should be more info about the Pixel tablets before the end of the year, if you're able to hold out.

But as others say, the quality of apps is just as important. I can't speak to that, but I do suffer through any mismatch between my Android phone and iPad pro because the iPad is just so together in terms of its apps and experience (even if stage manager - its new multitasking desktop-alike feature, needs a lot of work still).

Aside from missing out on little things like app hand off, iMessage and copy/paste between devices, I have found that the walled garden isn't as closed as you'd think. A lot of apps have their own cross-platform cloud stuff, Google has some pretty good widgets, etc. I'll probably end up swapping for an iphone as opposed to swapping for an android tablet though.

Good to know about the possible rewamp. I've been thinking about what I even use the tablet for, and it's pretty much various media consumption and anything else is just a bonus. I don't deny that Apple has their poo poo together, but when something as seemingly simple as an emulator or ad-blocking Youtube (not to mention installing 3rd party apps that aren't on App Store yet) requires me to have a limited dev account that needs to update every 7 days (which often doesn't work), it wears me down. I can't use Firefox without it being a shell of Safari, so no extensions work. Ad-blocking with Vinegar is super slow. Everything is also so drat expensive. It's just not worth it when I've gotten rid of everything else in the eco system. I regret not getting an OLED as well.

I'm in a position where I can sell my iPad after a year of use that will have costed me very little for the duration.

So either way I'm selling it, but I'm not so sure I'm going to replace it. I need to look around and see what else there is that can compete at that discounted price. Thanks for all the input!

Edit: Worked out so that I actually made money selling all my iPad stuff. Really lucked out.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 7, 2022

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ihop posted:

That's so sad. My old nexus 7 was my favorite media device and I'm sure I'm not alone in missing it. I check this thread every time there's a burst of posts in hopes there's discussion about some new, decent ~8" Android tablet on the horizon. It baffles me that that niche has remained unfulfilled for so long.

I have a Lenovo M8, and it's fine? I don't know what you're looking for in a tablet. I use mine for some pretty lightweight stuff and the only issues are from specific apps, not the tablet itself. Maybe I should put mine through its paces - any suggestions on common apps that might show these flaws you describe?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ihop posted:

Everyone has giant phones which are close enough to the 7-8” space that nobody can be bothered to make a good tablet in the correct size anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I'm a hobbyist photographer. It used to be that I was a very tryhard-detail-work-in-Photoshop-and-whatnot, but these days I'm more about getting poo poo processed quickly and with very little hassle. To do that, I usually just shoot jpeg, USB-C to my phone, and edit in Lightroom.

I'd like to do that same thing now, but with a tablet instead of on my phone. I do not want an iPad. I'd prefer Android, or Windows. I'd consider ChromeOS too I guess? I guess that's a thing now? I don't even know.

What should I get? I've looked at the Samsung S7, which seems nice, but Android tablets are apparently garbage now even if they're good?

I've looked at the Surface, but I mean, that's a whole PC.

I'd like to spend no more than 500 bucks. I could push to 600, but I'd rather keep it to sub-500.

Used is fine.